Pharo and the rest of the ecosystem

12

Re: Pharo and the rest of the ecosystem

Hannes Hirzel
On 4/24/12, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi guys
>
> May I ask you why you talk about CUIS and Spoon/Pharo?
> If you want to work with these systems we do not have any problems.
>
> We are working on Pharo since 2008. We deliver regularly, we are concerned
> with
> making sure that you can do business with Pharo. And we will continue.
> WE want to invent and build OUR future.
>
> We are spending a lot of time on making the system better.

Good to see this activity list

> - Fuel
> - Athens

Athens is an SVG canvas using Morphic, right?

Where is the code?

> - OPAL
> - Ghost

What is Ghost?

> - Nautilus
> - Ring

What is Ring?

> - NativeBoost
> - Zinc
> - HUGE amount of fixes
> - Working on a core
> - Writing a lot of documentation (yes guys)

Is there documentation on Athens yet?

> to name a few. We are pushing like hell and getting there.
>
> We spent time building our vision and step by step building it. We are
> getting there.  :)
> Now I do not see the points related to spoon and cuis. I do not understand
> what is the point.
> If people wants to collaborate with us this is ok now we do not count on
> that for our future.
>
> You do not have to reply. Just think about what you want to build and your
> future. Everybody
> make choices and is free.
>
> Stef

Re: Pharo and the rest of the ecosystem

Marcus Denker-4

On May 1, 2012, at 8:44 AM, H. Hirzel wrote:

> Athens is an SVG canvas using Morphic, right?

No, Athens is a new Canvas. Vector graphics.
Morphic is another layer. (Morphic *uses* a Canvas, and of
course you can just have a canvas in a morphic window for
drawing).

https://vimeo.com/40653315

http://www.squeaksource.com/Athens.html

>> - Ghost
>
> What is Ghost?

A proxy implementation. Where you can proxy even strange objects (classes, methods...)
yet it does not require a VM change.

http://hal.inria.fr/index.php?halsid=kgvbe2lj6clils0070slhn2t62&view_this_doc=inria-00614720&version=1

>> - Ring
>
> What is Ring?

Ring is a meta model for smalltalk code that is used already in 1.4

http://hal.inria.fr/index.php?halsid=kgvbe2lj6clils0070slhn2t62&view_this_doc=inria-00629677&version=1

        Marcus

--
Marcus Denker -- http://marcusdenker.de

On May 1, 2012, at 9:03 AM, Marcus Denker wrote:

>> What is Ghost?
>
> A proxy implementation. Where you can proxy even strange objects (classes, methods...)
> yet it does not require a VM change.
>
> http://hal.inria.fr/index.php?halsid=kgvbe2lj6clils0070slhn2t62&view_this_doc=inria-00614720&version=1

the real link is:

http://hal.inria.fr/inria-00614720

http://hal.inria.fr/inria-00629677

On 5/1/12, Marcus Denker <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On May 1, 2012, at 8:44 AM, H. Hirzel wrote:
>>
>> Athens is an SVG canvas using Morphic, right?
>>
> No, Athens is a new Canvas. Vector graphics.
> Morphic is another layer. (Morphic *uses* a Canvas, and of
> course you can just have a canvas in a morphic window for
> drawing).
>
> https://vimeo.com/40653315
>
>> Where is the code?
>>
> http://www.squeaksource.com/Athens.html

Thank you Marcus,

Where can I read more besides this
http://code.google.com/p/pharo/wiki/Athens

--Hannes

On May 2, 2012, at 2:33 PM, H. Hirzel wrote:

> On 5/1/12, Marcus Denker <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> On May 1, 2012, at 8:44 AM, H. Hirzel wrote:
>>>
>>> Athens is an SVG canvas using Morphic, right?
>>>
>> No, Athens is a new Canvas. Vector graphics.
>> Morphic is another layer. (Morphic *uses* a Canvas, and of
>> course you can just have a canvas in a morphic window for
>> drawing).
>>
>> https://vimeo.com/40653315
>>
>>> Where is the code?
>>>
>> http://www.squeaksource.com/Athens.html
>
> Thank you Marcus,
>
> Where can I read more besides this
> http://code.google.com/p/pharo/wiki/Athens

Nothing yet. You can bug Igor... :-) There will be more
documentation, but keep in mind that this is work in progress
and therefore focus is to finish, not to document.

        Marcus

--
Marcus Denker -- http://marcusdenker.de

Re: Pharo and the rest of the ecosystem