Pharo-beginner mailing list ?

12

Pharo-beginner mailing list ?

Stéphane Ducasse
Hi all

I remember that the squeak-beginner mailing-list (our ideas) was a huge success
since it enabled people to ask questions and have less mails.
So a question to you: do you think that it would be good to have a pharo-beginner mailing list?

Re: Pharo-beginner mailing list ?

George Herolyants-3
Hi

Maybe it would be better to name it pharo-user(s) and leave this list
for the developers of pharo? Because "beginner" has too narrow
meaning.

George

2009/12/30 Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]>:

> Hi all
>
> I remember that the squeak-beginner mailing-list (our ideas) was a huge success
> since it enabled people to ask questions and have less mails.
> So a question to you: do you think that it would be good to have a pharo-beginner mailing list?
>
> Stef

Re: Pharo-beginner mailing list ?

Stéphane Ducasse
Ok
(we are all beginners :) at least I'm :) ).

On Dec 30, 2009, at 1:35 PM, George Herolyants wrote:

> Hi
>
> Maybe it would be better to name it pharo-user(s) and leave this list
> for the developers of pharo? Because "beginner" has too narrow
> meaning.
>

> George
>
> 2009/12/30 Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]>:
>> Hi all
>>
>> I remember that the squeak-beginner mailing-list (our ideas) was a huge success
>> since it enabled people to ask questions and have less mails.
>> So a question to you: do you think that it would be good to have a pharo-beginner mailing list?
>>
>> Stef

Re: Pharo-beginner mailing list ?

hernanmd
Hi Stef,
  More than beginners, I would like mailing list for non-developers,
i.e. bussines people, project managers/leaders, for discussing project
feasibility with Pharo, sharing work experiences, etc. This mailing
list would not contain discussions about the deep internals of Pharo
(we cannot hide forever inside those technical details which nobody
understands :). It is important for people with bussines or marketing
vocabulary to know how to sell a product like Pharo to his coleagues
or inside a company.

Besides, there are a lot of people which doesn't like mailing lists.
They simply won't subscribe and IMHO it has nothing to do with the
technical quality of individuals, this is a matter of customs (check
out all of those .Net/Java/SQL forums out there like codeguru.com or
db4o.com). Maybe in the middle or long term, having a web forum would
be a good idea.

Regards, and happy new year.

Hernán

2009/12/30 Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]>:

> Hi all
>
> I remember that the squeak-beginner mailing-list (our ideas) was a huge success
> since it enabled people to ask questions and have less mails.
> So a question to you: do you think that it would be good to have a pharo-beginner mailing list?
>
> Stef

Re: Pharo-beginner mailing list ?

Adrian Kuhn
Hernán Morales Durand <hernan.morales@...> writes:

> Besides, there are a lot of people which doesn't like mailing lists.
> They simply won't subscribe and IMHO it has nothing to do with the
> technical quality of individuals, this is a matter of customs (check
> out all of those .Net/Java/SQL forums out there like codeguru.com or
> db4o.com). Maybe in the middle or long term, having a web forum would
> be a good idea.

Good point.

For example, one thing we could do is pushing Stackoverflow. They have a large
 userbase and excellent google ranks. When you ask a question on SO, it appears
 *immediately* on google!

For Phexample we already tell folks to go and ask questions on SO. No one has
 done sofar, but that is mainly due to the limited usebase (just me, Niko and
 Cami sofar).

You can follow all questions with one tag on SO as an RSS feed

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/tagged/smalltalk
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/tagged/squeak
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/tagged/pharo

--AA

Re: Pharo-beginner mailing list ?

jfabry

+1 for pharo-users mailing list. Excellent idea!

On 30 Dec 2009, at 09:42, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:

> Ok
> (we are all beginners :) at least I'm :) ).
>

> On Dec 30, 2009, at 1:35 PM, George Herolyants wrote:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> Maybe it would be better to name it pharo-user(s) and leave this list
>> for the developers of pharo? Because "beginner" has too narrow
>> meaning.
>>

>> George
>>
>> 2009/12/30 Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]>:
>>> Hi all
>>>
>>> I remember that the squeak-beginner mailing-list (our ideas) was a
>>> huge success
>>> since it enabled people to ask questions and have less mails.
>>> So a question to you: do you think that it would be good to have a
>>> pharo-beginner mailing list?
>>>
>>> Stef

Johan Fabry
[hidden email] - http://dcc.uchile.cl/~jfabry
PLEIAD Lab - Computer Science Department (DCC) - University of Chile

Re: Pharo-beginner mailing list ?

Miguel Cobá
+1

Its ok to separate the development of pharo from the
use/promotion/welcome to Pharo.

Just don't let this become a mess with dozens of lists with a couple
of posts each. This won't
help Pharo cohesion in the long term.

Miguel Cobá

On Wed, Dec 30, 2009 at 5:41 AM, Stéphane Ducasse
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi all
>
> I remember that the squeak-beginner mailing-list (our ideas) was a huge success
> since it enabled people to ask questions and have less mails.
> So a question to you: do you think that it would be good to have a pharo-beginner mailing list?
>
> Stef

Re: Pharo-beginner mailing list ?

Mariano Martinez Peck
+1  I would create it. It is not more than 1 hour or so of work. We don't loose nothing. Only the time will say if this was a good idea or not :)

<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi all
>
> I remember that the squeak-beginner mailing-list (our ideas) was a huge success
> since it enabled people to ask questions and have less mails.
> So a question to you: do you think that it would be good to have a pharo-beginner mailing list?
>
> Stef

Re: Pharo-beginner mailing list ?

Stéphane Ducasse
My point is that some people may be bored by too technical discussions
Miguel I agree on the number of list. We should check if there is enough people.
@Adrian: the forum idea is nice but I do not why it did not work for Smalltalk.
I went to the site you mentioned but I could not get how it works.

> +1  I would create it. It is not more than 1 hour or so of work.
3min :)

> We don't loose nothing. Only the time will say if this was a good idea or not :)
>

> On Wed, Dec 30, 2009 at 5:07 PM, Miguel Cobá <[hidden email]> wrote:
> +1
>
> Its ok to separate the development of pharo from the
> use/promotion/welcome to Pharo.
>
> Just don't let this become a mess with dozens of lists with a couple
> of posts each. This won't
> help Pharo cohesion in the long term.
>
> Miguel Cobá
>
> On Wed, Dec 30, 2009 at 5:41 AM, Stéphane Ducasse
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Hi all
> >
> > I remember that the squeak-beginner mailing-list (our ideas) was a huge success
> > since it enabled people to ask questions and have less mails.
> > So a question to you: do you think that it would be good to have a pharo-beginner mailing list?
> >
> > Stef

Re: Pharo-beginner mailing list ?

jfabry

How do we subscribe?

On Wed, Dec 30, 2009 at 6:29 PM, Johan Fabry <[hidden email]> wrote:

How do we subscribe?

On 30 Dec 2009, at 14:09, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:

> My point is that some people may be bored by too technical discussions
> Miguel I agree on the number of list. We should check if there is
> enough people.
> @Adrian: the forum idea is nice but I do not why it did not work for
> Smalltalk.
> I went to the site you mentioned but I could not get how it works.
>
>> +1  I would create it. It is not more than 1 hour or so of work.
> 3min :)

Yes, but after creating the list, I think you should also:

- Send an ANN to this list, ESUG and even Squeak mailing lists.
- Add that information to http://www.pharo-project.org/community
- Add gmane and nabble bots to it
- Some people can post in their blogs about it

Cheers,

Mariano

--
Johan Fabry
[hidden email] - http://dcc.uchile.cl/~jfabry
PLEIAD Lab - Computer Science Department (DCC) - University of Chile

Re: Pharo-beginner mailing list ?

Stéphane Ducasse
ok let us wait to get more feedback on the idea...

Stef

yes  ;)  I was just explained why I said one hour :)

On Wed, Dec 30, 2009 at 6:46 PM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
ok let us wait to get more feedback on the idea...

Stef
On Dec 30, 2009, at 6:39 PM, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:

> On Wed, Dec 30, 2009 at 6:29 PM, Johan Fabry <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> How do we subscribe?
>
> On 30 Dec 2009, at 14:09, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:
>
> > My point is that some people may be bored by too technical discussions
> > Miguel I agree on the number of list. We should check if there is
> > enough people.
> > @Adrian: the forum idea is nice but I do not why it did not work for
> > Smalltalk.
> > I went to the site you mentioned but I could not get how it works.
> >
> >> +1  I would create it. It is not more than 1 hour or so of work.
> > 3min :)
>
> Yes, but after creating the list, I think you should also:
>
> - Send an ANN to this list, ESUG and even Squeak mailing lists.
> - Add that information to http://www.pharo-project.org/community
> - Add gmane and nabble bots to it
> - Some people can post in their blogs about it
>
> Cheers,
>
> Mariano
>

> --
> Johan Fabry
> [hidden email] - http://dcc.uchile.cl/~jfabry
> PLEIAD Lab - Computer Science Department (DCC) - University of Chile

Re: Pharo-beginner mailing list ?

Mariano Martinez Peck
Is there a specific mailing list for the PBE readers?  ifFalse:   this could be a good place where the readers can ask :)
I saw [hidden email] but I am not sure what that mailing list it is about. Is it for final users of for the authors ?

Cheers

Mariano

On Wed, Dec 30, 2009 at 6:56 PM, Mariano Martinez Peck <[hidden email]> wrote:
yes  ;)  I was just explained why I said one hour :)

On Wed, Dec 30, 2009 at 6:46 PM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
ok let us wait to get more feedback on the idea...

Stef
On Dec 30, 2009, at 6:39 PM, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:

> On Wed, Dec 30, 2009 at 6:29 PM, Johan Fabry <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> How do we subscribe?
>
> On 30 Dec 2009, at 14:09, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:
>
> > My point is that some people may be bored by too technical discussions
> > Miguel I agree on the number of list. We should check if there is
> > enough people.
> > @Adrian: the forum idea is nice but I do not why it did not work for
> > Smalltalk.
> > I went to the site you mentioned but I could not get how it works.
> >
> >> +1  I would create it. It is not more than 1 hour or so of work.
> > 3min :)
>
> Yes, but after creating the list, I think you should also:
>
> - Send an ANN to this list, ESUG and even Squeak mailing lists.
> - Add that information to http://www.pharo-project.org/community
> - Add gmane and nabble bots to it
> - Some people can post in their blogs about it
>
> Cheers,
>
> Mariano
>

> --
> Johan Fabry
> [hidden email] - http://dcc.uchile.cl/~jfabry
> PLEIAD Lab - Computer Science Department (DCC) - University of Chile

Re: Pharo-beginner mailing list ?

Stéphane Ducasse
sbe discussion is a list so that people can report problems and discuss with us.
we have our own internal one for the books.

Stef
On Dec 30, 2009, at 7:57 PM, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:

> Is there a specific mailing list for the PBE readers?  ifFalse:   this could be a good place where the readers can ask :)
> I saw [hidden email] but I am not sure what that mailing list it is about. Is it for final users of for the authors ?
>
> Cheers
>
> Mariano
>
> On Wed, Dec 30, 2009 at 6:56 PM, Mariano Martinez Peck <[hidden email]> wrote:
> yes  ;)  I was just explained why I said one hour :)
>

> On Wed, Dec 30, 2009 at 6:46 PM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
> ok let us wait to get more feedback on the idea...
>
> Stef
> On Dec 30, 2009, at 6:39 PM, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:
>

> > On Wed, Dec 30, 2009 at 6:29 PM, Johan Fabry <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > How do we subscribe?
> >
> > On 30 Dec 2009, at 14:09, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:
> >
> > > My point is that some people may be bored by too technical discussions
> > > Miguel I agree on the number of list. We should check if there is
> > > enough people.
> > > @Adrian: the forum idea is nice but I do not why it did not work for
> > > Smalltalk.
> > > I went to the site you mentioned but I could not get how it works.

> > > 3min :)
> >
> > Yes, but after creating the list, I think you should also:
> >
> > - Send an ANN to this list, ESUG and even Squeak mailing lists.
> > - Add that information to http://www.pharo-project.org/community
> > - Add gmane and nabble bots to it
> > - Some people can post in their blogs about it
> >
> > Cheers,
> >
> > Mariano
> >

> > --
> > Johan Fabry
> > [hidden email] - http://dcc.uchile.cl/~jfabry
> > PLEIAD Lab - Computer Science Department (DCC) - University of Chile

Re: Pharo-beginner mailing list ?

csrabak
I come a little late for comment (hard day :-( ) so, I'll take profit of Stef's remarks to bring up an ancillary question to the group.

Letting out the humble inclusions of a lot of hot shot programmers as "beginners" and trying this from a Requirements Elicitation exercise:

What will we consider a *beginner*?

People that never learned a programming language and need tutoring in basics?

People that know other programming languages?  Being so shall separate the efforts to teach the ones that know OO from the ones are knowledgeable in procedural ones¹?

People already knowing Smalltalk but new to Pharo?

I feel that in addition to mailing list (and perhaps newsgroup), we should assemble a CMS for spreading the basics and using the features of the system to direct prospective users according to their needs/wishes.

my 0.019999....

--
Cesar Rabak

[1] This angst was triggered attending to a speech in Smalltalks 2009

Em 30/12/2009 10:42, Stéphane Ducasse < [hidden email] > escreveu:

Ok
(we are all beginners :) at least I'm :) ).

On Dec 30, 2009, at 1:35 PM, George Herolyants wrote:

> Hi
>
> Maybe it would be better to name it pharo-user(s) and leave this list
> for the developers of pharo? Because "beginner" has too narrow
> meaning.
>

> George
>
> 2009/12/30 Stéphane Ducasse :
>> Hi all
>>
>> I remember that the squeak-beginner mailing-list (our ideas) was a huge success
>> since it enabled people to ask questions and have less mails.
>> So a question to you: do you think that it would be good to have a pharo-beginner mailing list?
>>
>> Stef

Re: Pharo-beginner mailing list ?

csrabak
I _think_ it is a lot of hours of work.  Once the mailing list starts, we'll to monitor it.  With some periodicity we should assemble a FAQ, also because the proper nature of the list it is possible incorrect advice be posted by other members and we need to monitor and suggest the correct content as well.

Thinking in retrospect I believe this should be launched when we have Pharo 1.0 released and we can stabilize documentation, procedures, etc.

my 0.019999...

--
Cesar Rabak

On Dec 30, 2009, at 8:38 PM, [hidden email] wrote:

> I come a little late for comment (hard day :-( ) so, I'll take profit of Stef's remarks to bring up an ancillary question to the group.
>
> Letting out the humble inclusions of a lot of hot shot programmers as "beginners" and trying this from a Requirements Elicitation exercise:
>
> What will we consider a *beginner*?

everybody that want to be considered as
        - not knowing smalltalk
        - not knowing pharo
        - programming language learner.

Stef

> People that never learned a programming language and need tutoring in basics?
>
> People that know other programming languages?  Being so shall separate the efforts to teach the ones that know OO from the ones are knowledgeable in procedural ones¹?
>
> People already knowing Smalltalk but new to Pharo?
>
> I feel that in addition to mailing list (and perhaps newsgroup), we should assemble a CMS for spreading the basics and using the features of the system to direct prospective users according to their needs/wishes.
>
> my 0.019999....
>
> --
> Cesar Rabak
>

> [1] This angst was triggered attending to a speech in Smalltalks 2009
>

> Em 30/12/2009 10:42, Stéphane Ducasse < [hidden email] > escreveu:
>

> Ok
> (we are all beginners :) at least I'm :) ).
>

> On Dec 30, 2009, at 1:35 PM, George Herolyants wrote:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> Maybe it would be better to name it pharo-user(s) and leave this list
>> for the developers of pharo? Because "beginner" has too narrow
>> meaning.
>>

>> George
>>
>> 2009/12/30 Stéphane Ducasse :
>>> Hi all
>>>
>>> I remember that the squeak-beginner mailing-list (our ideas) was a huge success
>>> since it enabled people to ask questions and have less mails.
>>> So a question to you: do you think that it would be good to have a pharo-beginner mailing list?
>>>
>>> Stef

Re: Pharo-beginner mailing list ?

have a look at squeak -beginners people just ask questions and other reply.
it is low profile from an architecture point of view.

On Dec 30, 2009, at 8:42 PM, [hidden email] wrote:

> I _think_ it is a lot of hours of work.  Once the mailing list starts, we'll to monitor it.  With some periodicity we should assemble a FAQ, also because the proper nature of the list it is possible incorrect advice be posted by other members and we need to monitor and suggest the correct content as well.
>
> Thinking in retrospect I believe this should be launched when we have Pharo 1.0 released and we can stabilize documentation, procedures, etc.
>
> my 0.019999...
>
> --
> Cesar Rabak
>

> Em 30/12/2009 14:16, Mariano Martinez Peck < [hidden email] > escreveu:
>

> +1  I would create it. It is not more than 1 hour or so of work. We don't loose nothing. Only the time will say if this was a good idea or not :)
>

> On Wed, Dec 30, 2009 at 5:07 PM, Miguel Cobá <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> +1
>
> Its ok to separate the development of pharo from the
> use/promotion/welcome to Pharo.
>
> Just don't let this become a mess with dozens of lists with a couple
> of posts each. This won't
> help Pharo cohesion in the long term.
>
> Miguel Cobá
>

> On Wed, Dec 30, 2009 at 5:41 AM, Stéphane Ducasse
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi all
>>
>> I remember that the squeak-beginner mailing-list (our ideas) was a huge success
>> since it enabled people to ask questions and have less mails.
>> So a question to you: do you think that it would be good to have a pharo-beginner mailing list?
>>
>> Stef

Re: Pharo-beginner mailing list ?

NorbertHartl
I would strongly opt against a pharo beginners list. I think the squeak beginners list is the right place to be. To fork off the code from squeak was a good idea. But it is also troublesome as we experienced already. Forking off everything or just doubling everything won't bring any benefit. A beginner won't differ between squeak and pharo. A beginner stumples with this particular environment regardless if it is squeak or pharo. So please let us just try to join forces.

Norbert

On 30.12.2009, at 12:41, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:

> Hi all
>
> I remember that the squeak-beginner mailing-list (our ideas) was a huge success
> since it enabled people to ask questions and have less mails.
> So a question to you: do you think that it would be good to have a pharo-beginner mailing list?
>
> Stef
12