Pharo crash

Sabine Manaa

Hi,

I have a Pharo 4.0 Image which crashes several seconds after starting it.
This is the 2nd time I have this. I have to start with fresh image and load my stuff from scratch.

Is this a known bug? Do you need the image? If yes, please tell me a mail address to send it to.

Regards
Sabine

Re: Pharo crash

EstebanLM

Hi Sabine,

With the amount of data you provide, there is no way to know anything in detail, except that is, of course, not a known bug…
I would need more detail in order to see if there is a problem of the VM, of the image, or something else.
could you  share:

- crash.dmp file
- PharoDebug.log
- VM version
- Platform

Esteban

> On 24 Jun 2015, at 19:43, Sabine Manaa <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> I have a Pharo 4.0 Image which crashes several seconds after starting it.
> This is the 2nd time I have this. I have to start with fresh image and load my stuff from scratch.
>
> Is this a known bug? Do you need the image? If yes, please tell me a mail address to send it to.
>
> Regards
> Sabine

Re: Pharo crash

Clément Béra

Hello Sabine,

I am not sure this is a known bug and it sounds very annoying.

Can you give me:

- the VM exact version: Evaluate "Smalltalk vm version"
- the image exact version: Evaluate "Smalltalk systemInformationString "

Does it crash at start-up reliably, I mean at every start-up ? Does your application adds extra behavior at image start-up or image shutdown ?

If it crashes reliably can you put it to download from somewhere like a dropbox, google document or one drive and share the link with us ? Else send it to me I'll do that.

Regards,

Clement

I have a Pharo 4.0 Image which crashes several seconds after starting it.
This is the 2nd time I have this. I have to start with fresh image and load my stuff from scratch.

Is this a known bug? Do you need the image? If yes, please tell me a mail address to send it to.

Regards
Sabine

Re: Pharo crash

Andreas Wacknitz

> Am 24.06.2015 um 19:43 schrieb Sabine Manaa <[hidden email]>:
>
> Hi,
>
> I have a Pharo 4.0 Image which crashes several seconds after starting it.
> This is the 2nd time I have this. I have to start with fresh image and load my stuff from scratch.

If your application does not rely on things that are special to the PharoVM (like NativeBoost) you can try to run it with a CogVM.
I used to have annoying PharoVM crashes when moving an image between Windows machines when the original path wasn’t available
on the 2nd machine (e.g. logged in as different users). CogVM was always able to run images crashing with PharoVM.

Regards
Andreas

Re: Pharo crash

Sabine Manaa
Hi Clement, Andreas,

yes it is annoying and the problem persists. I am sorry for the late response, I did not receive a message from nabble and so I missed your answers. After getting the problem again, I was searching again for a solution and found yours! Clement, I will send the link to one of my images with this problem via pm. With a cog vm, I was able to receive the information you requested.

CoInterpreter VMMaker.oscog-eem.1426 uuid: 94ab92ba-c5c4-4953-8566-a4cd9c38df1f Jul 19 2015
StackToRegisterMappingCogit VMMaker.oscog-eem.1427 uuid: c5cb18c5-f69e-4e41-8f87-943a495659b4 Jul 19 2015
VM: r3410 http://www.squeakvm.org/svn/squeak/branches/Cog Date: 2015-07-18 19:15:20 -0700 Plugins: r3405 http://squeakvm.org/svn/squeak/trunk/platforms/Cross/plugins

Pharo4.0
Latest update: #40618

If you need more info, please tell me,
regards
Sabine

Re: Pharo crash

Sabine Manaa
I wrote with Clement: There used to be a bug in the VM and it's fixed. The latest version works.