PharoOneClick .lnk file

Torsten Bergmann
>.. and this should probably be Pharo.exe with a nice Pharo icon :)

I already created a custom Pharo VM (a standard one and a
Cog VM, both with Pharo icon and resource section)
and gave this to Marcus.
I guess he just has to find the time to include it in the One click.

As a windows user when I extract a ZIP I typically would
expect the launcher exe at the root level and not in
/Contents/Windows. Download Eclipse and you know what I mean.

I understand that this folder structure was choosen due to
the multiplatform nature of the one click.
The .bat file solution would make us look really old style ;)

However - when Pharo 1.2 is ready I try to find the
time to build a setup again (as I already provided
on the download page for previous Pharo versions)

I expect a windows user to be more satisfied with a
typicall installer that also set up program group, ...
and allows also to uninstall.
And this installer download is also smaller than the
OneClick since Linux/Mac VMs are not necessary.

Bye
T.

Re: PharoOneClick .lnk file

Marcus Denker-4

On Mar 8, 2011, at 11:21 PM, Torsten Bergmann wrote:

>> .. and this should probably be Pharo.exe with a nice Pharo icon :)
>
> I already created a custom Pharo VM (a standard one and a
> Cog VM, both with Pharo icon and resource section)
> and gave this to Marcus.
> I guess he just has to find the time to include it in the One click.

yes...

--
Marcus Denker  -- http://www.marcusdenker.de
INRIA Lille -- Nord Europe. Team RMoD.

Re: PharoOneClick .lnk file

Geert Claes
Administrator
Torsten Bergmann wrote
I expect a windows user to be more satisfied with a typicall installer that also set up program group, ...
and allows also to uninstall.  And this installer download is also smaller than the OneClick since Linux/Mac VMs are not necessary.
I don't think we need to have a full blown installer which creates a shortcut to the program group with an uninstaller.  I would prefer your suggestion to simply put the Pharo.exe on the top level.  I like the fact OneClick has Windows, Mac and Linux i none download and I don't think the size is a problem at all.

Re: PharoOneClick .lnk file

Tudor Girba
+1.

Doru

On 9 Mar 2011, at 10:32, Geert Claes wrote:

> Torsten Bergmann wrote:
>>
>> I expect a windows user to be more satisfied with a typicall installer
>> that also set up program group, ...
>> and allows also to uninstall.  And this installer download is also smaller
>> than the OneClick since Linux/Mac VMs are not necessary.
>>

> I don't think we need to have a full blown installer which creates a
> shortcut to the program group with an uninstaller.  I would prefer your
> suggestion to simply put the Pharo.exe on the top level.  I like the fact
> OneClick has Windows, Mac and Linux i none download and I don't think the
> size is a problem at all.

www.tudorgirba.com

"If you interrupt the barber while he is cutting your hair,
you will end up with a messy haircut."

Re: PharoOneClick .lnk file

Schwab,Wilhelm K
I like the one-click too, but Torsten is correct that many Windows users will want an installer.  If nothing else, having one proves that it can be done - *we* know that it can, but the FUD crowd will raise it as a concern.  Let's prove them wrong.

InnoSetup is worth a look.

> I expect a windows user to be more satisfied with a typicall installer
> that also set up program group, ...
> and allows also to uninstall.  And this installer download is also smaller
> than the OneClick since Linux/Mac VMs are not necessary.

I don't think we need to have a full blown installer which creates a
shortcut to the program group with an uninstaller.  I would prefer your
suggestion to simply put the Pharo.exe on the top level.  I like the fact
OneClick has Windows, Mac and Linux i none download and I don't think the
size is a problem at all.

Re: PharoOneClick .lnk file

Mariano Martinez Peck

On Tue, Mar 8, 2011 at 11:20 PM, Torsten Bergmann <[hidden email]> wrote:
>.. and this should probably be Pharo.exe with a nice Pharo icon :)

I already created a custom Pharo VM (a standard one and a
Cog VM, both with Pharo icon and resource section)
and gave this to Marcus.
I guess he just has to find the time to include it in the One click.

do you know if Igor CmakeConfig already uses that or we can adapt it so that we can automatically build CogVMs "for pharo" ?

igor ?