Pharocasts: GUI - Proportional layout

laurent laffont
Hi,

here's the screencast based on the GUI layout section of the Pharo book.

I found a better (but not perfect) tool to edit subtitles on Linux: Jubler http://www.jubler.org/ , it's cross-platform.

Cheers,

Laurent Laffont

http://pharocasts.blogspot.com/
http://magaloma.blogspot.com/

Re: Pharocasts: GUI - Proportional layout

Has van der Krieken
Laurent,

Seeing your screencasts gives me Smalltalk coding appetite :)

Thanks a million,

Has.

2010/6/6 laurent laffont <[hidden email]>:

> Hi,
> here's the screencast based on the GUI layout section of the Pharo book.
> http://pharocasts.blogspot.com/2010/06/proportional-layout.html
>
> I found a better (but not perfect) tool to edit subtitles on Linux:
> Jubler http://www.jubler.org/ , it's cross-platform.
> See http://www.my-guides.net/en/content/view/105/26/
> Cheers,
> Laurent Laffont
>
> http://pharocasts.blogspot.com/
> http://magaloma.blogspot.com/

Re: Pharocasts: GUI - Proportional layout

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
Another awesome screencast!  I really like the subtitles.

Two things:

1. It would be awesome to link to the ScriptManager workspaces from the web page.  I just played around in ScriptMan and found you can export to a file - right click in top left pane, select export.

2. The part in the screencast that says "then offsets move the top-left and bottom-right corner inward a specified number of pixels" (2:48).  It seems the word "inward" should be removed.  This is something it took me a while to get as I've learned about layouts - because the extent is set to 0@0, these offsets are from there; saying "inward" makes it sound like they're applied relative to the edge of the owner morph, which is a natural - and wrong - assumption.  The general point here is that fractions are applied and then offsets are applied relative to that transformation.

Thanks.
Sean
Cheers,
Sean

Re: Pharocasts: GUI - Proportional layout

Stéphane Ducasse
may be having more white space under the subtitles would make sure that you can read them well.

On Mon, Jun 7, 2010 at 3:00 AM, Sean P. DeNigris <[hidden email]> wrote:

Another awesome screencast!  I really like the subtitles.

Two things:

1. It would be awesome to link to the ScriptManager workspaces from the web
page.  I just played around in ScriptMan and found you can export to a file
- right click in top left pane, select export.

At first I wanted to show it, but the import function needs some work (open a file manager).

2. The part in the screencast that says "then offsets move the top-left and
bottom-right corner inward a specified number of pixels" (2:48).  It seems
the word "inward" should be removed.  This is something it took me a while
to get as I've learned about layouts - because the extent is set to 0@0,
these offsets are from there; saying "inward" makes it sound like they're
applied relative to the edge of the owner morph, which is a natural - and
wrong - assumption.  The general point here is that fractions are applied
and then offsets are applied relative to that transformation.

Could you write a sentence to replace it ? I may regenerate subtitles / video as I received several suggestions for subtitles.

Thank you for feedback.

Laurent

Thanks.
Sean

Re: Pharocasts: GUI - Proportional layout

Daniel Galdames
hello,
i had been trying the scripts in screencast, but there is a problem with
the colors, when you are using the SystemWindow to create the window,
and when the window is out of focus the color changes to blue, is it not
better to use StandardWindow instead?.
With StandardWindow all the colors look fine.
Saludos,
  Daniel.

On Tue, Jun 8, 2010 at 10:43 PM, lemuus <[hidden email]> wrote:
hello,
i had been trying the scripts in screencast, but there is a problem with
the colors, when you are using the SystemWindow to create the window,
and when the window is out of focus the color changes to blue, is it not
better to use StandardWindow instead?.
With StandardWindow all the colors look fine.

StandardWindow is a subclass of SystemWindow which implements TEasilyThemed (Trait providing useful theme-related methods).

I've seen the blue color in Pharo 1.1, works fine in Pharo 1.0 ... maybe related to http://code.google.com/p/pharo/issues/detail?id=654 ?

Thanks for report.