Plain file editing

Sophie424
Is there an easy way, within squeak itself, to open a text editor on an
entire class and simply edit the file and "save" the entire file
(equivalently, "file-in" the string-buffer). I find I am quicker with this
than all the mousing around, specially when making a new class.

I know I can file-out and file-in, but I am looking to avoid those steps.

Thanks.

Re: Plain file editing

stéphane ducasse-2

On 2 juil. 06, at 00:42, itsme213 wrote:

> Is there an easy way, within squeak itself, to open a text editor
> on an entire class and simply edit the file and "save" the entire
> file (equivalently, "file-in" the string-buffer). I find I am
> quicker with this than all the mousing around, specially when
> making a new class.
>
> I know I can file-out and file-in, but I am looking to avoid those
> steps.

Basically you should try to avoid to fileout and file in all the time.
The code browser is there to help you, shout the syntax editor can
help you to find mistake.
Writing Smalltalk in VI can be painful.

I suggest you to:
        - save your image
        - save the category doing a fileout
        - use Monticello and save a package
but work with the tools

have a look at my videos they show all the steps to do one by one.

http://www.listic.univ-savoie.fr/~ducasse/Resources.html/

> Thanks.

Re: Plain file editing

Bert Freudenberg-3
Am 02.07.2006 um 00:42 schrieb itsme213:

> Is there an easy way, within squeak itself, to open a text editor
> on an entire class and simply edit the file and "save" the entire
> file (equivalently, "file-in" the string-buffer). I find I am
> quicker with this than all the mousing around, specially when
> making a new class.
>
> I know I can file-out and file-in, but I am looking to avoid those
> steps.

Making a textual snapshot of a Smalltalk class, editing it, and
filing back in would be roughly equivalent to printing a photograph,
editing it with a pencil, and scanning back into the computer. The
class browser is a view onto the live class object, even though it
appears to be a categorizing text editor. It's not.

- Bert -

Re: Plain file editing

Sophie424
> The  class browser is a view onto the live class object, even though it
> appears to be a categorizing text editor. It's not.

This is starting to sink in :-) Quite a nice change, and not too difficult,
except for a wide-scale re-training of muscle memory on keyboard shortcuts.

Re: Plain file editing

Kyle Hamilton
You have just described the problems with WebDAV... but the WebDAV
group found a way to deal with the limitations.  Which even works well
with revision management systems.  (There is a DAV server available in
SqueakMap, though I haven't yet checked to see if it can handle
sending the entire implementations of class and instance variables.)

itsme213: There is a fairly complete vi-type implementation available
on SqueakMap.  I'm not sure what environment you're most familiar
with.

-Kyle H

On 7/2/06, Bert Freudenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Am 02.07.2006 um 00:42 schrieb itsme213:
>
> > Is there an easy way, within squeak itself, to open a text editor
> > on an entire class and simply edit the file and "save" the entire
> > file (equivalently, "file-in" the string-buffer). I find I am
> > quicker with this than all the mousing around, specially when
> > making a new class.
> >
> > I know I can file-out and file-in, but I am looking to avoid those
> > steps.
>
> Making a textual snapshot of a Smalltalk class, editing it, and
> filing back in would be roughly equivalent to printing a photograph,
> editing it with a pencil, and scanning back into the computer. The
> class browser is a view onto the live class object, even though it
> appears to be a categorizing text editor. It's not.
>
> - Bert -

Re: Plain file editing

Mark Aufflick-6
I have been pondering the same sorts of things, being something of an
emacs junky. Today I discovered SVI, which implements vi-like or
emacs-like key bindings for many editor panes (such as the class
browser, work space).

I am finding it a real boon. It doesn't change the way you interact
with the smalltalk runtime at all, but when you want to shuffle around
bits of text or jump from one window frame to another using familiar
keyboard commands - well for me it's like coming to the surface of the
water and being able to breathe again ;)

You can find SVI in squeakmap - the one package has vi-like and
emacs-like bindings. vi-like is the default but you just need to call
a few methods to change over to a remarkably good rendition of the
emacs editing experience (considering the author is a vi user).

/Mark

On 7/2/06, stéphane ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 2 juil. 06, at 00:42, itsme213 wrote:
>
> > Is there an easy way, within squeak itself, to open a text editor
> > on an entire class and simply edit the file and "save" the entire
> > file (equivalently, "file-in" the string-buffer). I find I am
> > quicker with this than all the mousing around, specially when
> > making a new class.
> >
> > I know I can file-out and file-in, but I am looking to avoid those
> > steps.
>
> Basically you should try to avoid to fileout and file in all the time.
> The code browser is there to help you, shout the syntax editor can
> help you to find mistake.
> Writing Smalltalk in VI can be painful.
>
> I suggest you to:
>         - save your image
>         - save the category doing a fileout
>         - use Monticello and save a package
> but work with the tools
>
> have a look at my videos they show all the steps to do one by one.
>
> http://www.listic.univ-savoie.fr/~ducasse/Resources.html/
>

> > Thanks.

Mark Aufflick
 e: [hidden email]
 w: mark.aufflick.com
 p: +61 438 700 647
 f: +61 2 9436 4737

Re: Plain file editing

Sophie424
> to shuffle around
> bits of text or jump from one window frame to another using familiar
> keyboard commands - well for me it's like coming to the surface of the
> water and being able to breathe again ;)

This sounds like manna from heaven ...

I tried loading SVI and got:
This package depends on the following classes:
  CommandHistory

Any idea where I find that? It does not tell me which other package to
install, and there is no package called CommandHistory.

Thank you !!