Planned update on squeaksource.com, brief outages are possible.

Planned update on squeaksource.com, brief outages are possible.

David T. Lewis
Some time over the next few hours, I plan to test the installation
of a new VM for squeaksource.com. I expect several brief outages
while testing the supervisory scripts that control image restarts.
The outages are expected to be on the order of about one minute
each, although there is of risk a slightly longer outages if problems
are encountered.

If all goes well, the squeaksource.com image will be running on
a new Cog VM, which will provide significantly better performance
compared to the current system running on an interpreter VM.

Dave

Re: Planned update on squeaksource.com, brief outages are possible.

David T. Lewis
Done.

Well, that was easy. If there are any problems, please complain to
me. If performance seems excessive, complain to Eliot :-)

Dave

On Thu, Mar 19, 2020 at 04:25:35PM -0400, David T. Lewis wrote:

> Some time over the next few hours, I plan to test the installation
> of a new VM for squeaksource.com. I expect several brief outages
> while testing the supervisory scripts that control image restarts.
> The outages are expected to be on the order of about one minute
> each, although there is of risk a slightly longer outages if problems
> are encountered.
>
> If all goes well, the squeaksource.com image will be running on
> a new Cog VM, which will provide significantly better performance
> compared to the current system running on an interpreter VM.
>
> Dave

Re: Planned update on squeaksource.com, brief outages are possible.

fniephaus
On Thu, Mar 19, 2020 at 9:56 PM David T. Lewis <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Done.
>
> Well, that was easy. If there are any problems, please complain to
> me. If performance seems excessive, complain to Eliot :-)

Thanks a lot, Dave! I think I have to talk to Eliot ;)

Fabio

> Dave
>

> On Thu, Mar 19, 2020 at 04:25:35PM -0400, David T. Lewis wrote:
> > Some time over the next few hours, I plan to test the installation
> > of a new VM for squeaksource.com. I expect several brief outages
> > while testing the supervisory scripts that control image restarts.
> > The outages are expected to be on the order of about one minute
> > each, although there is of risk a slightly longer outages if problems
> > are encountered.
> >
> > If all goes well, the squeaksource.com image will be running on
> > a new Cog VM, which will provide significantly better performance
> > compared to the current system running on an interpreter VM.
> >
> > Dave

Re: Planned update on squeaksource.com, brief outages are possible.

Nicolas Cellier

Le jeu. 19 mars 2020 à 22:01, Fabio Niephaus <[hidden email]> a écrit :
On Thu, Mar 19, 2020 at 9:56 PM David T. Lewis <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Done.
>
> Well, that was easy. If there are any problems, please complain to
> me. If performance seems excessive, complain to Eliot :-)

Thanks a lot, Dave! I think I have to talk to Eliot ;)

Fabio

Waouh!
I think this will leverage the effort x1000 in no time
Thanks!