Please don't kill the in-place find feature of the former CTRL-J

Please don't kill the in-place find feature of the former CTRL-J

Masato Sumi
I'm very worry about that the new CTRL-J (aka "again") of tunk seems
lacking very old but elegant feature of the former CTRL-J, "in-place
find" function.

When you just inserted text at a caret, the former version of CTRL-J
(or select "again" from yellow-button menu) sets the text as a search
key then delete it and then select next found text.

I prefer and everyday use this feature because it make me find the
text very seamlessly.

I know my English is too bad to explain about this feature, so I made
a screen-recording below. (Although it is very old Apple Smalltalk,
you can do the same thing in current Squeak but not trunk)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-jKdn_9dKeQ

If it was my misunderstanding and the new CTRL-J still keeps this
feature, please let me how to use it.

Thanks
sumim

Re: Please don't kill the in-place find feature of the former CTRL-J

marcel.taeumel
Now this is some magic feature! :) It feels like the concept of "print it" where you destroy your text contents with some debugging output. For in-place search/replace, this makes sense because you specify the first search/replace operation and then do again.

Sorry, in-place find is not working this way right now. However, you can select any piece of text and "find again" if you like to.

I write it down. There are still 2 or 3 things on my list regarding multiple-undo and in-place search/replace.

Best,
Marcel

Re: Please don't kill the in-place find feature of the former CTRL-J

Bert Freudenberg

> On 21.12.2015, at 13:04, Masato Sumi <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I'm very worry about that the new CTRL-J (aka "again") of tunk seems
> lacking very old but elegant feature of the former CTRL-J, "in-place
> find" function.
>
> When you just inserted text at a caret, the former version of CTRL-J
> (or select "again" from yellow-button menu) sets the text as a search
> key then delete it and then select next found text.
>
> I prefer and everyday use this feature because it make me find the
> text very seamlessly.
>
> I know my English is too bad to explain about this feature, so I made
> a screen-recording below. (Although it is very old Apple Smalltalk,
> you can do the same thing in current Squeak but not trunk)
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-jKdn_9dKeQ
Yep. It’s Cmd-J for me on a Mac, and works nicely:
http://try.squeak.org/#pixelated&fullscreen

> If it was my misunderstanding and the new CTRL-J still keeps this
> feature, please let me how to use it.

It probably got broken accidentally … the editor features are woefully under-documented.

- Bert -

smime.p7s (5K) Download Attachment

Re: Please don't kill the in-place find feature of the former CTRL-J

marcel.taeumel
Btw: We god rid of this magical "do again" thing. There is "find again" (CMD+G) and "find/replace again" (CMD+J).

Maybe we can think of a way to also provide in-place find.

Why don't you hit CMD+F and type your search string there? :-) *scnr*

Best,
Marcel

Re: Please don't kill the in-place find feature of the former CTRL-J

marcel.taeumel
I think I can add it like this:

- You just moved your cursor to some place without selecting something.
- You type something.
- You hit CMD+G to "find again"
- The previous input will be removed and taken as search text.
- The next match will be selected.
- (If you err here, you can redo with CMD+SHIFT+Z and insert the input again.)

Still, it would lacke the same issues as current "in-place find/replace" has, that is, you have to type your string correctly in one run without using backspace or moving the cursor with the cursor keys. I am working on figuring out, which commands in the history belong to one subsequent edit. I plan to use position/intervals to be independent from typing speed.

Best,
Marcel

Re: Please don't kill the in-place find feature of the former CTRL-J

marcel.taeumel
Hi,

here is a change set that should make in-place-find work:
undo-inplace-find-fix.cs

Please test it, then I can commit it into trunk. Here is how it works:

- You just moved your cursor to some place without selecting something.
- You type something.
- You hit CMD+G to "find again"
- The previous input will be removed and taken as search text.
- The next match will be selected.
- (If you err here, you can undo with CMD+Z and insert the input again.)

If you hit CMD+J, nothing will happen because there was no replace operation detected. If you, however, hit CMD+G to find the next match and then continue wit a CMD+J, it will find/replace the next match (with nothing) because your insertion was removed automatically.

Does this make sense?

Best,
Marcel

Re: Please don't kill the in-place find feature of the former CTRL-J

Masato Sumi
Marcel !!

Thank you very very much for your such quick response.
I've tried the ChangeSet and
your new "type something then hit CMD+G to find again" feature works
fine for me.

I'm relieved and looking forward to next Squeak release.

--
sumim

> here is a change set that should make in-place-find work:
> undo-inplace-find-fix.cs
> <http://forum.world.st/file/n4868139/undo-inplace-find-fix.cs>
>
> Please test it, then I can commit it into trunk. Here is how it works:
>
> - You just moved your cursor to some place without selecting something.
> - You type something.
> - You hit *CMD+G* to "find again"
> - The previous input will be removed and taken as search text.
> - The next match will be selected.
> - (If you err here, you can *undo* with CMD+Z and insert the input again.)
>
> If you hit CMD+J, nothing will happen because there was no replace operation
> detected. If you, however, hit CMD+G to find the next match and then
> continue wit a CMD+J, it will find/replace the next match (with nothing)
> because your insertion was removed automatically.
>
> Does this make sense?
>
> Best,
> Marcel

Re: Please don't kill the in-place find feature of the former CTRL-J

Jerry Bell-3
I don't recall seeing that Apple Smalltalk before.   Is it available somewhere?   Does it run on a Squeak VM?

Thanks

Jerry

> On Dec 21, 2015, at 6:04 AM, Masato Sumi <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I'm very worry about that the new CTRL-J (aka "again") of tunk seems
> lacking very old but elegant feature of the former CTRL-J, "in-place
> find" function.
>
> When you just inserted text at a caret, the former version of CTRL-J
> (or select "again" from yellow-button menu) sets the text as a search
> key then delete it and then select next found text.
>
> I prefer and everyday use this feature because it make me find the
> text very seamlessly.
>
> I know my English is too bad to explain about this feature, so I made
> a screen-recording below. (Although it is very old Apple Smalltalk,
> you can do the same thing in current Squeak but not trunk)
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-jKdn_9dKeQ
>
> If it was my misunderstanding and the new CTRL-J still keeps this
> feature, please let me how to use it.
>
> Thanks
> --
> sumim

Re: Please don't kill the in-place find feature of the former CTRL-J

timrowledge

> On 21-12-2015, at 8:54 AM, Jerry Bell <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I don't recall seeing that Apple Smalltalk before.   Is it available somewhere?   Does it run on a Squeak VM?

That’s an ancient Apple vm running a slightly modified Smalltalk -80 direct from SCG PARC; Apple took part in the early experiments detailed in the Green Book[1]. This was actually available from Apple for a while when the Mac was young, I think via one or other of the developer programs. It also ‘grew up’ to become the first Squeak image as released in ’96 and of course that has grown up to become the current Squeak and Pharo images. So in a sense, yes it actually does run on a Squeak VM.

As for actually running the old Apple image as shown in that video… I doubt anyone has built a vm for that in a while. It’s just faintly possible that a really old vm from http://ftp.squeak.org/1.1/ might run it, if you could get hold of it. And a Mac that such an old VM can run on.

Take a look at  http://squeak.org/downloads/ and try a few older downloads out to see which is the oldest you can find a way to run.

tim
<-------- The information went data way -------->

Re: Please don't kill the in-place find feature of the former CTRL-J

Robert Withers

On 12/21/2015 01:32 PM, tim Rowledge wrote:
>> On 21-12-2015, at 8:54 AM, Jerry Bell <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> I don't recall seeing that Apple Smalltalk before.   Is it available somewhere?   Does it run on a Squeak VM?
> That’s an ancient Apple vm running a slightly modified Smalltalk -80 direct from SCG PARC; Apple took part in the early experiments detailed in the Green Book[1]. This was actually available from Apple for a while when the Mac was young, I think via one or other of the developer programs. It also ‘grew up’ to become the first Squeak image as released in ’96 and of course that has grown up to become the current Squeak and Pharo images. So in a sense, yes it actually does run on a Squeak VM.
>
> As for actually running the old Apple image as shown in that video… I doubt anyone has built a vm for that in a while. It’s just faintly possible that a really old vm from http://ftp.squeak.org/1.1/ might run it, if you could get hold of it. And a Mac that such an old VM can run on.
>
> Take a look at  http://squeak.org/downloads/ and try a few older downloads out to see which is the oldest you can find a way to run.

Oh jeez, this is like Ready Player one all over again! :_)

awesome,
robert

> tim
> <-------- The information went data way -------->

--
. ..  ...   ^,^    robert
Go Panthers!

Re: Please don't kill the in-place find feature of the former CTRL-J

Masato Sumi
Thank you for your follow-up, tim .

Hi, robert

I purchased it from APDA (Apple Programmer's Developer's Association)
about 25 years ago.

Currently, you can get its image, changes, sources from here. (but it
seems lacking VM, sorry)

Apple Smalltalk-80 v0.4.zip
http://www.esug.org/data/Smalltalk/Squeak/History/

You can also read simple manual on this site.

Apple Smalltalk-80 manual
https://archive.org/details/bitsavers_applemacSmntoshAug85_1587556

Even if you will able to get its VM, that is for very old Mac System
(ver 6.0.8 or so).
So, you also need Mac Plus emulation software (such as vMac mini), Mac
Plus' ROM file, System Software and so on.

--
sumim

marcel.taeumel

Re: Please don't kill the in-place find feature of the former CTRL-J

Masato Sumi
Great!  Thank you very much again,
May the in-place find feature be with Squeak.

--
sumim

2015/12/23 0:49 "marcel.taeumel" <[hidden email]>:
In trunk it is:
http://forum.world.st/The-Trunk-Morphic-mt-1061-mcz-td4868266.html :-)

Best,
Marcel