Please help us by buying the book

12

Re: Please help us by buying the book

Stéphane Ducasse

> Disclaimer: bikeshedding
>
> 1.  I think you're not charging enough, see:
> http://blog.asmartbear.com/selling-ebook.html. Why not PDF version for
> 29, physical copy for 35, both for 39, both plus t-shirt for 49? Have a
> fat student discount for the PDF.

This is a good idea.

> You're selling to a small population of either professionals who make $
> from the info you provide or students.
>

> 2.  Why give lulu 20% to control access to a zero marginal cost download
> that you have to do all the promotion for?   At this point are you
> contractually obligated or is there some flexibility?  Can that be
> switched over right now to just email you when someone orders the PDF
> and you manually email them the PDF until you get a system in place to
> automatically respond to their orders?
>

> Its my understanding that you're coming out with more books in the
> future.  It would seem to help all of us if you can maximize the revenue
> from that effort as we are a small but committed group.

Re: Please help us by buying the book

Paul DeBruicker
I don't have time to make an ebook ecommerce site for free for you guys
right now.

How about using gumroad.com where its just a 5% cut for now until you
can find a student and some budget to implement something?

Seems like you'd need to commit to raising your prices beyond 6 euro to
justify any development time on your own custom ebook platform.

On 09/16/2013 09:22 AM, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:

> On Sep 16, 2013, at 6:04 PM, Damien Cassou <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> On Mon, Sep 16, 2013 at 5:41 PM, Paul DeBruicker <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> 2.  Why give lulu 20% to control access to a zero marginal cost download
>>> that you have to do all the promotion for?   At this point are you
>>> contractually obligated or is there some flexibility?  Can that be
>>> switched over right now to just email you when someone orders the PDF
>>> and you manually email them the PDF until you get a system in place to
>>> automatically respond to their orders?
>>
>> I don't think we are obligated to do anything. So, if you want to
>> build a little app that would do that, we would really like it.
>
> Oh YES!!!
> We would love to have that.
>
> Stef
>

>> --
>> Damien Cassou
>> http://damiencassou.seasidehosting.st
>>
>> "Success is the ability to go from one failure to another without
>> losing enthusiasm."
>> Winston Churchill

Re: Please help us by buying the book

Esteban A. Maringolo
Other alternative is to have an online store (Shopify/Gumroad) or any
other store to channel all the pharo payments: association,
consortium, books, mugs, t-shirts, stickers, everything.

We're a small community, so the cost of maintaining it should be a
fraction of the income. But it's just an idea.

The fact there are no serial numbers, etc, makes the sale easier to process.

Regards,

Esteban A. Maringolo

2013/9/16 Paul DeBruicker <[hidden email]>:

> I don't have time to make an ebook ecommerce site for free for you guys
> right now.
>

> How about using gumroad.com where its just a 5% cut for now until you
> can find a student and some budget to implement something?
>
> Seems like you'd need to commit to raising your prices beyond 6 euro to
> justify any development time on your own custom ebook platform.
>

> On 09/16/2013 09:22 AM, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:

>>> I don't think we are obligated to do anything. So, if you want to
>>> build a little app that would do that, we would really like it.
>>
>> Oh YES!!!
>> We would love to have that.
>>
>> Stef
>>

>>> --
>>> Damien Cassou
>>> http://damiencassou.seasidehosting.st
>>>
>>> "Success is the ability to go from one failure to another without
>>> losing enthusiasm."
>>> Winston Churchill

Re: Please help us by buying the book

jtuchel
Paul,

your last statement turns the whole argument upside down. If theres
money needed to build your own store, the whole thing blows up. How many
books do you have to sell in order to pay a single developer day, even
if it is "free"? How much more could the student do to improve pharo
during such a day? If you raise 100%, you still get only around 4 euros
more per book....

But I agree: the price difference between 6 and 25 seems strange. Cannot
tell you why, but I have a good excuse - it can be found in the linked
post: it's psychology!
I guess the book is worth far more than 6 Euros. So if you'd ask me, I'd
charge a two-digit price and leave the 25 as is. But only if the raise
really helps Pharo, not Lulu...

Joachim

Am 16.09.13 18:55, schrieb Paul DeBruicker:

> I don't have time to make an ebook ecommerce site for free for you guys
> right now.
>

> How about using gumroad.com where its just a 5% cut for now until you
> can find a student and some budget to implement something?
>
> Seems like you'd need to commit to raising your prices beyond 6 euro to
> justify any development time on your own custom ebook platform.
>

> On 09/16/2013 09:22 AM, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:

>>> I don't think we are obligated to do anything. So, if you want to
>>> build a little app that would do that, we would really like it.
>> Oh YES!!!
>> We would love to have that.
>>
>> Stef
>>

>>> --
>>> Damien Cassou
>>> http://damiencassou.seasidehosting.st
>>>
>>> "Success is the ability to go from one failure to another without
>>> losing enthusiasm."
>>> Winston Churchill

Objektfabrik Joachim Tuchel          mailto:[hidden email]
Fliederweg 1                         http://www.objektfabrik.de
D-71640 Ludwigsburg     http://joachimtuchel.wordpress.com
Telefon: +49 7141 56 10 86 0         Fax: +49 7141 56 10 86 1

Re: Please help us by buying the book

jtuchel
Sorry guys,

but to me it seems like we've had enough "you should do X" tips for now.

Buy the thing, do some good to the Pharo crowd or leave it.
All of us who know much better can do so ;-)

On Sep 16, 2013, at 6:55 PM, Paul DeBruicker <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I don't have time to make an ebook ecommerce site for free for you guys
> right now.

this is not a ecommerce
This is a web page with a secure ecard + a following page with a pdf to download.

> How about using gumroad.com where its just a 5% cut for now until you
> can find a student and some budget to implement something?

We do not have students for such kind of task.

> Seems like you'd need to commit to raising your prices beyond 6 euro to
> justify any development time on your own custom ebook platform.

Why would we do so? our goal is not to develop ebook platform.

Stef

> On 09/16/2013 09:22 AM, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:

>>> I don't think we are obligated to do anything. So, if you want to
>>> build a little app that would do that, we would really like it.
>>
>> Oh YES!!!
>> We would love to have that.
>>
>> Stef
>>

>>> --
>>> Damien Cassou
>>> http://damiencassou.seasidehosting.st
>>>
>>> "Success is the ability to go from one failure to another without
>>> losing enthusiasm."
>>> Winston Churchill

Re: Please help us by buying the book

Paul DeBruicker
Hi Stef,

On 09/16/2013 10:47 AM, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:

> On Sep 16, 2013, at 6:55 PM, Paul DeBruicker <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> I don't have time to make an ebook ecommerce site for free for you guys
>> right now.
>
> this is not a ecommerce
> This is a web page with a secure ecard + a following page with a pdf to download.

What you've described sounds like eCommerce to me.  Collect money for a
product via the web.  Deliver the product via the web or post.

For your page & download links you need an account at a payment
processor.  If you set it up with stripe.com (they have a beta program
for France) you could use the Stripe-Seaside example form in the repo on
smalltalkhub.   The charge something like 3% + $0.30 per transaction to
process a credit card. It all works in Pharo2.

>> How about using gumroad.com where its just a 5% cut for now until you
>> can find a student and some budget to implement something?
>
> We do not have students for such kind of task.

Oh OK.  I was just guessing that there would be at least one person who
would like to earn some small amount of euro to spend a part of a
saturday making a simple form + download page (ebook platform) that runs
on your infrastructure for your ebook sales to maybe go take someone
special to them on dates or a concert or something fun.

>> Seems like you'd need to commit to raising your prices beyond 6 euro to
>> justify any development time on your own custom ebook platform.
>
> Why would we do so? our goal is not to develop ebook platform.
>
> Stef

I agree that with your current pricing structure anything custom
developed is nonsensical as you'd only be saving 2% on the sales price
over just switching to gumroad.com.  My original argument was A) raise
your prices and then B) stop using lulu for ebooks.  Unless you raise
prices, use gumroad.com.  Or don't.  At 6 euro you only earn 0.67 euro
more per sale if you switch to Gumroad (5% + $0.30) vs staying with lulu.

I think you misinterpret me saying "platform".  I do not mean something
with tons of inventory management capabilities or other features.  I
mean custom software that integrates with the current consortium site
that allows you to sell eBooks through that site.  E.g. the order form
page you mention above + credit card processing back end and download
link generator (if you want a different one for each person to track how
often it gets downloaded by each customer), and then download link page
plus an email sent to the customer so they can get another copy (e.g.
after their hard drive dies).

Thanks

Paul

>>> Oh YES!!!
>>> We would love to have that.
>>>
>>> Stef

Re: Please help us by buying the book

philippeback
http://www.LeanPub.com would be a great avenue for a Pharo book in terms of exposure.

The format to use is Markdown I guess. And then it delivers the book in a ton of formats. You can even print them with one of their partners.

Pretty good revenue.

A friend of mine wrote this one: https://leanpub.com/entarch and is very happy w/ the results.

---
Philippe Back
Dramatic Performance Improvements
Mob: +32(0) 478 650 140 | Fax: +32 (0) 70 408 027
Blog: http://philippeback.be | Twitter: @philippeback

High Octane SPRL
rue cour Boisacq 101 | 1301 Bierges | Belgium

Pharo Consortium Member - http://consortium.pharo.org/
Featured on the Software Process and Measurement Cast - http://spamcast.libsyn.com
Sparx Systems Enterprise Architect and Ability Engineering EADocX Value Added Reseller

On Mon, Sep 16, 2013 at 10:10 PM, Paul DeBruicker <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Stef,

On 09/16/2013 10:47 AM, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:

> On Sep 16, 2013, at 6:55 PM, Paul DeBruicker <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> I don't have time to make an ebook ecommerce site for free for you guys
>> right now.
>
> this is not a ecommerce
> This is a web page with a secure ecard + a following page with a pdf to download.

What you've described sounds like eCommerce to me.  Collect money for a
product via the web.  Deliver the product via the web or post.

For your page & download links you need an account at a payment
processor.  If you set it up with stripe.com (they have a beta program
for France) you could use the Stripe-Seaside example form in the repo on
smalltalkhub.   The charge something like 3% + $0.30 per transaction to
process a credit card. It all works in Pharo2.

>> How about using gumroad.com where its just a 5% cut for now until you
>> can find a student and some budget to implement something?
>
> We do not have students for such kind of task.

Oh OK.  I was just guessing that there would be at least one person who
would like to earn some small amount of euro to spend a part of a
saturday making a simple form + download page (ebook platform) that runs
on your infrastructure for your ebook sales to maybe go take someone
special to them on dates or a concert or something fun.

>> Seems like you'd need to commit to raising your prices beyond 6 euro to
>> justify any development time on your own custom ebook platform.
>
> Why would we do so? our goal is not to develop ebook platform.
>
> Stef

I agree that with your current pricing structure anything custom
developed is nonsensical as you'd only be saving 2% on the sales price
over just switching to gumroad.com.  My original argument was A) raise
your prices and then B) stop using lulu for ebooks.  Unless you raise
prices, use gumroad.com.  Or don't.  At 6 euro you only earn 0.67 euro
more per sale if you switch to Gumroad (5% + $0.30) vs staying with lulu.

I think you misinterpret me saying "platform".  I do not mean something
with tons of inventory management capabilities or other features.  I
mean custom software that integrates with the current consortium site
that allows you to sell eBooks through that site.  E.g. the order form
page you mention above + credit card processing back end and download
link generator (if you want a different one for each person to track how
often it gets downloaded by each customer), and then download link page
plus an email sent to the customer so they can get another copy (e.g.
after their hard drive dies).

Thanks

Paul

>>> Oh YES!!!
>>> We would love to have that.
>>>
>>> Stef

Re: Please help us by buying the book

Yanni Chiu
On 16/09/13 10:52 AM, Yuriy Tymchuk wrote:
> http://johnmacfarlane.net/pandoc/ can convert latex to epub. epub is
> actually a wrapper around html, so if it's written in pier it can be
> even easier.

In the Pier Book Add-on, there should be a class category:

     Pier-Book-EPUB

It should put a 'Book EPUB' view in the view commands of a Book
structure. Clicking on it should download an EPUB of the Pier Book.

Hmmm. I just looked and it seems it's only in the Pier2 Book, and not in
the Pier3 Book. It should port to Pier3 easily - I'll get to it
eventually, unless someone else does. (It seems that it got put into the
Pier2 repository just around the time that the Pier3 split was done).

On Tue, Sep 17, 2013 at 8:12 AM, Yanni Chiu <[hidden email]> wrote:
> In the Pier Book Add-on, there should be a class category:
>
>     Pier-Book-EPUB
>
> It should put a 'Book EPUB' view in the view commands of a Book structure.
> Clicking on it should download an EPUB of the Pier Book.

the Deep into Pharo book is written in LaTeX, not Pier. For the next
book, we will use Pier
(https://ci.inria.fr/pharo-contribution/job/PharoForTheEnterprise/)

Winston Churchill

Re: Please help us by buying the book

Esteban A. Maringolo
What is the advantage of using Pier over LaTeX?

Esteban A. Maringolo

2013/9/17 Damien Cassou <[hidden email]>:

> On Tue, Sep 17, 2013 at 8:12 AM, Yanni Chiu <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> In the Pier Book Add-on, there should be a class category:
>>
>>     Pier-Book-EPUB
>>
>> It should put a 'Book EPUB' view in the view commands of a Book structure.
>> Clicking on it should download an EPUB of the Pier Book.
>

> the Deep into Pharo book is written in LaTeX, not Pier. For the next
> book, we will use Pier
> (https://ci.inria.fr/pharo-contribution/job/PharoForTheEnterprise/)
>
> --
> Damien Cassou
> http://damiencassou.seasidehosting.st
>
> "Success is the ability to go from one failure to another without
> losing enthusiasm."
> Winston Churchill

Re: Please help us by buying the book

Uko2
You can generate HTML (, EPUB, etc…)

uko

On 17 вер. 2013, at 15:03, "Esteban A. Maringolo" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> What is the advantage of using Pier over LaTeX?
>

> Esteban A. Maringolo
>

> 2013/9/17 Damien Cassou <[hidden email]>:
>> On Tue, Sep 17, 2013 at 8:12 AM, Yanni Chiu <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> In the Pier Book Add-on, there should be a class category:
>>>
>>>    Pier-Book-EPUB
>>>
>>> It should put a 'Book EPUB' view in the view commands of a Book structure.
>>> Clicking on it should download an EPUB of the Pier Book.
>>

>> the Deep into Pharo book is written in LaTeX, not Pier. For the next
>> book, we will use Pier
>> (https://ci.inria.fr/pharo-contribution/job/PharoForTheEnterprise/)
>>
>> --
>> Damien Cassou
>> http://damiencassou.seasidehosting.st
>>
>> "Success is the ability to go from one failure to another without
>> losing enthusiasm."
>> Winston Churchill

Re: Please help us by buying the book

Damien Cassou
On Tue, Sep 17, 2013 at 2:03 PM, Esteban A. Maringolo
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> What is the advantage of using Pier over LaTeX?

- simpler syntax so that more people can contribute (let's see if that happens)
- we can choose what we generate (latex, html, markdown, epub,
iBook...) and customize the output for our books

Winston Churchill

Re: Please help us by buying the book

Esteban A. Maringolo
Hi Damien,
2013/9/17 Damien Cassou <[hidden email]>:
> On Tue, Sep 17, 2013 at 2:03 PM, Esteban A. Maringolo
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> What is the advantage of using Pier over LaTeX?
>
> - simpler syntax so that more people can contribute (let's see if that happens)
> - we can choose what we generate (latex, html, markdown, epub,
> iBook...) and customize the output for our books

I thought so.
Though, any syntax is simpler than LaTeX.

I haven't used Pier syntax in the past, looks very much like the old
"Swiki Swiki" syntax.

Regards!

Re: Please help us by buying the book

Damien Cassou
On Tue, Sep 17, 2013 at 4:11 PM, Esteban A. Maringolo
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> I haven't used Pier syntax in the past, looks very much like the old
> "Swiki Swiki" syntax.

Pier was formerly known as Smallwiki 2 and is the successor of the old
Smallwiki.

--
Damien Cassou
http://damiencassou.seasidehosting.st

losing enthusiasm."
Winston Churchill

Re: Please help us by buying the book

Volkert

On 16.09.2013, at 16:24, Damien Cassou <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> please support our work on Pharo by buying the new Deep into Pharo book
>
> http://rmod.lille.inria.fr/deepIntoPharo/
>
> Your money go to the Pharo Association, so it's worth it.

I ordered a copy. Thanks for all the hard work .... Pharo is really fun ...

BW,
Volkert

On Wed, Sep 18, 2013 at 1:08 PM, Volkert Barr <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I ordered a copy. Thanks for all the hard work .... Pharo is really fun ...

thank you very much Volkert.