Please make http://ftp.squeak.org/current_stable/ redirect to http://ftp.squeak.org/4.5/ (is 4.4 currently) [EOM]

Tobias Pape
[eom]

Re: Please make http://ftp.squeak.org/current_stable/ redirect to http://ftp.squeak.org/4.5/ (is 4.4 currently) [EOM]

David T. Lewis
On Sat, Jul 12, 2014 at 05:56:42PM +0200, Tobias Pape wrote:
> [eom]

Done.

On Sat, Jul 12, 2014 at 01:49:13PM -0400, David T. Lewis wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 12, 2014 at 05:56:42PM +0200, Tobias Pape wrote:
> > [eom]
>
> Done.

Tobias pointed out that current_stable and current_development links on the
ftp server had not been updated, so I fixed that. But in the course of checking
that out I looked at the various download links on squeak.org, and it does not
really make a lot of sense to me.

Under "Downloads", the "Latest Squeak" link provides only the all-in-one, with
no indication to the new user that it is possible to download the image and VM
in the traditional manner.

Personally, I almost never use the all-in-one, but more importantly I would
expect that one of the first things that a new user of Squeak needs to grok
is the concept of running an image on a VM, so I think that a newcomer should
be aware of this right from the start. As an experienced Squeaker, I know
enough to always go to the ftp.squeak.org site if I want to download an image,
but I don't think a new user should be expected to figure that out.

The "Bleeding Edge" link seems strange also, because it takes the user to
the source.squeak.org site when I might have expected a link to 4.6alpha
for downloads.

Wouldn't it be good to have the "Downloads" tab provide links to the Squeak
all-in-one for the convenient quick start download, to the current_stable
directory for images, to the current_development directory for bleeding edge,
and to squeakvm.org for VMs? That would be accompanied by a brief explanation
of what these things are (older squeak.org sites had this, so we can probably
find the text). New users would be guided to download the all-in-one to
get started quickly, but they would at least be starting out with an idea
of what is in that all-in-one. And people who want to download a stable
image would find a link to it from the downloads page.

Dave

Re: Please make http://ftp.squeak.org/current_stable/ redirect to http://ftp.squeak.org/4.5/ (is 4.4 currently))

timrowledge

On 12-07-2014, at 11:27 AM, David T. Lewis <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Wouldn't it be good to have the "Downloads" tab provide links to the Squeak
> all-in-one for the convenient quick start download, to the current_stable
> directory for images, to the current_development directory for bleeding edge,
> and to squeakvm.org for VMs? That would be accompanied by a brief explanation
> of what these things are (older squeak.org sites had this, so we can probably
> find the text). New users would be guided to download the all-in-one to
> get started quickly, but they would at least be starting out with an idea
> of what is in that all-in-one. And people who want to download a stable
> image would find a link to it from the downloads page.

Yes.

I suggest that the front page ‘Download’ column should have the mentions of the Documentation and Downloads pages made into links, for a start. It might be smart to relabel the big button to ‘Download AllInOne’ to be really clear.

The actual Downloads page ought to reiterate the value of the AllInOne for general use on recent x86 hardware and then explain the alternatives. It would be nice to have a simple zip of the 4.5 final & a recent trunk and maybe 4.4 image/changes files and of course an explanation that you need the sources zipfile too. Obviously we need pointers to relevant VM download & install pages.

tim
Useful random insult:- If you give him a penny for his thoughts, you get change back.

Re: Please make http://ftp.squeak.org/current_stable/ redirect to http://ftp.squeak.org/4.5/ (is 4.4 currently))

Chris Cunnington-4
I'm only partially grokking this as I'm travelling. You're not being igored. I'll read this in depth in a day or two. If this doesn't concern me of the homepage, then please ignore this post.

Chris

On Sun, Jul 13, 2014 at 09:57:04AM -0400, Chris Cunnington wrote:
> I'm only partially grokking this as I'm travelling. You're not being
> igored. I'll read this in depth in a day or two. If this doesn't concern me
> of the homepage, then please ignore this post.
>
> Chris

Thanks Chris,

Nothing urgent here, just some suggestions.

Dave