Please recommend Squeak projects for presentation

Please recommend Squeak projects for presentation

Martin McClure-2
Hi all,

I'm presenting a seminar in April
* titled "Real-World Uses of Smalltalk, or What Do People Actually Do
   with Smalltalk?"
* at the Smalltalk Solutions / LinuxWorld / NetworkWorld conference
   in Toronto.
* My hope is to entice attendees that don't know Smalltalk to want
   to learn more about it.
I'm hoping that you can recommend several projects that use Squeak
for me to mention.

I need recommendations by this Friday, March 17, if at all possible.
Please reply off-list.

To demonstrate that Smalltalk is used for all kinds of things, I want
to include a very wide variety of Smalltalk uses -- large commercial
Smalltalk applications, Smalltalk in research, Smalltalk in
entertainment, Smalltalk with billions of persistent objects,
Smalltalk in tiny embedded devices, and more.

Please recommend projects with these traits:
* Currently active:
   The Smalltalk application should be actively used today, or be
   approaching deployment. I'll also consider applications that were
   designed for limited-time uses that were fairly recent.
* Interesting or unusual:
   I'm sure I'll end up mentioning several large Smalltalk financial
   applications, but I also want to include some quirky little projects
   that aren't well known.
* Readily-available information:
   If there is information about the project or company available on
   the web, that makes things easier for me, and I can include the URI
   in the seminar notes so attendees can find more depth on projects
   that interest them.

I'm looking for up to a dozen or so projects that use Squeak.
I plan to spend an average of 30 seconds on each, and to cover
a total of about 40 projects.  With each project you recommend,
please include as much of the following information as you have:

* The name of the project

* The company or organization doing the project

* A brief description (1-3 sentences) of what the project does

* What role Smalltalk plays in the project

* When the project started

* Current project status

* Any known URIs of web information about the project or company

In order to get project information compiled for the seminar handout,
I need as many recommendations as possible to be in by this Friday,
March 17.

More information about my seminar is at
http://www.lwnwexpo.plumcom.ca/session_detail.cfm?id=241. Please feel
free to email me with any other questions or comments.

Many thanks,

-Martin McClure

Re: Please recommend Squeak projects for presentation

Brad Fuller
Martin McClure wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm presenting a seminar in April
> * titled "Real-World Uses of Smalltalk, or What Do People Actually Do
>   with Smalltalk?"
> * at the Smalltalk Solutions / LinuxWorld / NetworkWorld conference
>   in Toronto.
> * My hope is to entice attendees that don't know Smalltalk to want
>   to learn more about it.
> I'm hoping that you can recommend several projects that use Squeak
> for me to mention.
this sounds great, and I hope that you keep us abreast of the project
and allow us to view, and hear, the presentation.

Why did you pick 40 projects at 30sec each? Why not less projects and
more time?

Re: Please recommend Squeak projects for presentation

Lord ZealoN
very interesting.

I'm new in squeak and i would like see this list.

2006/3/14, Martin McClure <[hidden email]>:
[...]

Zulq Alam
I'd love to see what people suggest Martin, do you mind if they post
here as well?

- Zulq

Brad Fuller wrote:

> Martin McClure wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I'm presenting a seminar in April
>> * titled "Real-World Uses of Smalltalk, or What Do People Actually Do
>>   with Smalltalk?"
>> * at the Smalltalk Solutions / LinuxWorld / NetworkWorld conference
>>   in Toronto.
>> * My hope is to entice attendees that don't know Smalltalk to want
>>   to learn more about it.
>> I'm hoping that you can recommend several projects that use Squeak
>> for me to mention.

> this sounds great, and I hope that you keep us abreast of the project
> and allow us to view, and hear, the presentation.

I don't think there are plans to tape the presentation, so to view/hear
it you'll have to be there. However, I'll post a link to the PDF handout
once the presentation is over.

And if anyone that's going to the conference wants to volunteer their
time and equipment to tape my talk, I'll certainly try to get approval
from the conference management.

> Why did you pick 40 projects at 30sec each? Why not less projects and
> more time?

Since Smalltalk Solutions is combined with LinuxWorld / NetworkWorld
this year, most attendees won't be familiar with Smalltalk. There are
other Smalltalk talks at the conference that focus on one or two
projects. My goal is to demonstrate that a whole lot of folks use
Smalltalk for a wide variety of things by giving a lot of actual
examples. It's a sales pitch for Smalltalk, though not a sales pitch for
any particular flavor of Smalltalk. I plan to break up the cavalcade of
projects with a few short demonstrations, which will take about half of
the time in the 50-minute seminar.

-Martin

Zulq Alam wrote:
> I'd love to see what people suggest Martin, do you mind if they post
> here as well?

I don't mind, I just didn't want to clutter the list unnecessarily. I'll
leave it to the discretion of each person that replies.

And as I posted a little while ago, I'll post a link to my final handout
after the conference. It'll contain the full list of all projects I discuss.

-Martin

Re: Please recommend Squeak projects for presentation

Cees de Groot-2
On Tue, 14 Mar 2006 14:56:17 -0800, Martin McClure
<[hidden email]> wrote:
>I need recommendations by this Friday, March 17, if at all possible.

Kolibri. Even though it's in Dutch, it's interesting in that it is a
native L&F package. I can help you in whipping up a 30 second walk
through, shouldn't be a problem even with the language barrier.

>Please reply off-list.

Sorry - I switched to Agent and Gmane, still have to find out how to
do that :-)

Martin McClure wrote:
> Zulq Alam wrote:
>> I'd love to see what people suggest Martin, do you mind if they post
>> here as well?
>
> I don't mind, I just didn't want to clutter the list unnecessarily.
> I'll leave it to the discretion of each person that replies.
I'd like to see the replies as well. There may be ones that you don't
select but are interesting to others.

RE: Please recommend Squeak projects for presentation

Hans Baveco
Hi Martin,

Maybe my "CorridorGame" project could be of interest to you. It is a
research/educational thing; I have build several versions over the last
years, dealing with metapopulation dynamics in different spatial
configurations (with and without nature corridors). Some documentation
and a link to a basic one (as a Squeak project to be loaded in the
browser plugin) is available at:

http://www.corridor.alterra.nl

I use Smalltalk for all my ecological modelling projects, both
VisualWorks and Squeak. The first for the serious, calculation-intensive
projects (like large-scale individual-based (= agent-based) population
modelling, e.g. http://www.movement.alterra.nl), the second more for the
fun, eductional projects, with a lot of "interactivity"

Success!

Hans Baveco