Please, test: Cobalt having "multiplayer" at WiFi networks

Please, test: Cobalt having "multiplayer" at WiFi networks

Americo Damasceno
Like ever, I need help for test of the new resource we are adding to Cobalt:

"multiplayer and chat inside a WiFi network". You need to have 2 machines below
the same

WiFi network (like there are at some schools, some Campus, Starbucks etc.) The
steps for

the test are:

1 - The two machines for the test need to have the official Cobalt installed.

2 - Download and unzip inside the main folder of each Cobalt at each machine

(C:\cobalt-base-current-build) at each machine:

http://www.dmu.com/cobalt/CoWifi.zip

Like are 28 Mb, "Cobal WiFi" is only for people having broadband (sorry).

3 - The first machine (we wiil call it: A) will be the "owner" of the "island":
DESERT.

Open Cobalt using the image: Desert.image. Drag the ball like ever and the
DESERT

appears:

http://www.dmu.com/cobalt/cowifi1.jpg

4 - The second machine (we will call it B) will be the "visitor". Open Cobalt
using the

image: CoWiFi. image. This will be the "browser" to access the DESERT. Drag the
ball

like ever and will appear the "basic island".

5 - Change the avatar to the Rabbit using: Tools | Modify avatar. Change the
nickname

for chat to:"Mr. Rabbit", using: People | Text chat.

6 - Select at the menu of this machine: Place | Connect to CoWiFi World.

http://www.dmu.com/cobalt/cowifi2.jpg

7 - At the list of islands available, at this WiFi network, select:
"Desert-CoWiFi".

Will appear a Portal.

http://www.dmu.com/cobalt/cowifi3.jpg

8 - Go to the Desert island:

http://www.dmu.com/cobalt/cowifi4.jpg

9 - At the machine A (the owner of the island) , open the Chat Window using:
People |

Text chat.

http://www.dmu.com/cobalt/cowifi6.jpg

9 - At the machine B, open also the Chat Window using: People | Text chat.

http://www.dmu.com/cobalt/cowifi7.jpg

Now you can  play. Enjoy. Have fun.

The chat has some little bugs but, in general, all is working for me. But I
need to know

if it's working for everybody. Let me know, please.

Thanks.

Re: Please, test: Cobalt having "multiplayer" at WiFi networks

Paul Sheldon-2
I never needed broadband to have my rabbit hop between
computers,
just wifi.

Broadband to download 27 meg images, yes, especially
in impending
flooding rainstorms.

We got wind and rain and I had to put on mountain gear
raincoat
to cover my wifi laptop access as went to library
where there is wifi
internet.

The coffee room lost its high speed wifi by degrees
and I went
downstairs fearing my laptop would drown even with the
mountain
gear raincoat if I didn't get out.

I just saw snaps on the hard to see plastic thing that
fits in a fanny bag.

Now, not worrying about another flooding rain while
wind wips open raincoat.

Now, I got it, looked at files saw two images, fits
directions.

Getting home where guaranteed dry.

Re: Please, test: Cobalt having "multiplayer" at WiFi networks (works here)

Paul Sheldon-2

I had to be sure to have the avatars move before I set
up the
portals or they would freeze then "it worked for me".

The initial avatar was named Alice but was the rabbit,
so
I chose avatar to be Alice and had her jump through
my wifi on my dual processor G5 into my aluminum
laptop desert.

I saw her on the laptop moving around from the rabbits
point of view there.

I didn't test audio chat which I believe is buggy and
can cause crashes
on a mac even iChat had issues when visiting served
world across internet in previous croquet version.

Americo, you did well for me! Thanks.

Re: Please, test: Cobalt having

Americo Damasceno
WOW! IT'S WORKING!!! IT'S WORKING!!! We are not alone in the desert anymore!
It's a great day for the Cobalt project.
Thanks Paul. I hope that all was OK about that thing of  the tango (I didn't
understand very well but tango is tango!).
Paul did the test using 2 Macs. I dit it using Windows. I would like to know if
it works using Linux.
By the way:  I received an email from Julian Lombardi inviting me to write the
"Unofficial Manual" at the official Croquet wiki. So, it will be not so
unofficial anymore... :-)
At 2007, I was working helping Negroponte and the guys from the MIT in the
OLPC project (the US$ 100 laptop) that would be implemented in Brazil  (I hope
it will be...). I tried to convince them that the Croquet architecture
(TeaTime) would be  better thxn that   implemented in the Sugar (the
operational system of the laptop). But I didn't win this discussion. Now I will
try to convince the guys from the Duke University (Julian etc.) and their
partners, that a good strategy for Croquet-Cobalt is the main focus in WiFi
networks. All the schools, in the near future, will have a WiFi network and the
boys cheap laptops. And Croquet-Cobalt can be the better solution for creation
of shared application to be used by the students.
OK. This is an idea we need to discuss more aboout . By now, like Cobalt WiFi
(CoWiFi) appears to be working OK, we can begin to write the basic tutorials,
for everybody to learn how to create "island" having "shared" applications
inside. I am doing some final tests about creation of horizontal collision
detection etc.

Thanks.

Please, test: Cobalt having

Americo Damasceno
It's not necessary to have 2 machines and a WiFi hotspot for test of the Cobalt
WiFi Multiplayer (CoWiFi and Desert islands).

Having the 2 images downloaded, you can open a first copy of Cobalt using with
the Desert Island and another copy of Cobalt using the CoWiFi island.
Follow the steps we have explained at the previous post here at the list and
you can play going to an island to the other and "talk to yourself".

(OOPS! Talk to himself can be the beginning of insanity!! Be careful!!)

Please, test: Cobalt having

Americo Damasceno
If you have erased the post having the steps for the test, here is a copy,
modified for this   standalone test:

1 - Download and unzip inside the main folder of   Cobalt
(C:\cobalt-base-current-build):

http://www.dmu.com/cobalt/CoWifi.zip

Like are 28 Mb, "CoWiFi" is only for people having broadband (sorry).

2 - Open a first copy of Cobalt using the image: Desert.image. Drag the ball
like ever and the DESERT appears.
This  will be the "first machine" (we will call it: A) and  will be the "owner"
of the "island": DESERT.

http://www.dmu.com/cobalt/cowifi1.jpg

3 - The "second machine" (we will call it B) will be the "visitor". Open Cobalt
using the image: CoWiFi.image. This will be the "browser" to access the DESERT.
Drag the ball like ever and will appear the "basic island".

4 - Change  for the "second machine", the avatar to the Rabbit using: Tools |
Modify avatar. Change the nickname for chat to:"Mr. Rabbit", using: People |
Text chat.

5 - Select at the menu of "this machine": Place | Connect to CoWiFi World.

http://www.dmu.com/cobalt/cowifi2.jpg

6 - At the list of islands available,  select:
"Desert-CoWiFi".

Will appear a Portal.

http://www.dmu.com/cobalt/cowifi3.jpg

7 - Go to the Desert island:

http://www.dmu.com/cobalt/cowifi4.jpg

8 - At the "machine" A (the owner of the island) , open the Chat Window using:
People | Text chat.

http://www.dmu.com/cobalt/cowifi6.jpg

9 - At the "machine" B, open also the Chat Window using: People | Text chat.

http://www.dmu.com/cobalt/cowifi7.jpg

Now you can  play. Enjoy. Have fun.

The chat has some little bugs (you need to alternate the type of message
sended) but, in general, all is working.

Please, test: Cobalt having

Americo Damasceno
Until now we didn't have any feedback about our COWiFi test by guys using
Linux. Please, if you have Linux, even don't having 2 machines and a WiFi
HotSpot available let us know if the standalone test is working for you.
Thanks.

Please, test: Cobalt having

Americo Damasceno
If you have an old  LAN (Local Area Network) using cables to connect the
machines (I believe that exists some of them yet surviving  in world), I
believe that CoWiFi will work too.

Please, test: Cobalt having

Americo Damasceno
You can test that: if the user A does something at his machine, this thing will
be synchronized  at the island of the user B (and vice-versa). By example: A
can create   a new object using 3DPainter. B can drag this object   etc.

Re: Please, test: Cobalt having

Les Howell
On Wed, 2008-04-02 at 09:22 -0400, Americo Fraga Damasceno Junior wrote:
> If you have an old  LAN (Local Area Network) using cables to connect the
> machines (I believe that exists some of them yet surviving  in world), I
> believe that CoWiFi will work too.
Hi, Americo and other developers...
        I have just downloaded the Cobalt zip.  I unzipped it and it doesn't
work yet.  Here are the first few issues I have found for Linux users:

        1.  Croquet and Cobalt need hardware acceleration.  Using native
drivers is most likely the way to achieve this.  If the open driver
supports hardware acceleration you MAY be able to use it.
        2.  The libraries libOpenAL and libGL both need to be installed and the
links setup by admin, or the links need user access for read/write.
        3.  The Cobalt zip file doesn't include the Croquet image, and the
croquet shell script included references a fixed version (1.0.18), which
is behind the release curve.
        4.  The drag and drop form of open for the image file will not work on
Linux by default.
        5.  There are settings for the firewall and ports that need to be
identified.  (my Fedora 7 works, my Fedora 8 doesn't.) I have to work
out the port allocation issues yet.
        6.  More to come as I progress.

Regards,
Les H