Please, what is the status of Smalltalk and SmalltalkImage?

Please, what is the status of Smalltalk and SmalltalkImage?

Tapple Gao
Hi. I haven't been paying too much attention to the above
refactoring (I'll read the mails now), but what is up with that
change? I'm trying to port a very large application (Cobalt) to
the trunk. I replaced all occurrences of Smalltalk with
SmalltalkImage current in all places where vm parameters were
needed, last week, and now Smalltalk at: stopped working.

What do I need to do for Cobalt? I don't want to waste much time
on this; I have more important things to worry about.

Matthew Fulmer (a.k.a. Tapple)

Re: Please, what is the status of Smalltalk and SmalltalkImage?

Igor Stasenko
On 10 March 2010 02:20, Matthew Fulmer <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi. I haven't been paying too much attention to the above
> refactoring (I'll read the mails now), but what is up with that
> change? I'm trying to port a very large application (Cobalt) to
> the trunk. I replaced all occurrences of Smalltalk with
> SmalltalkImage current in all places where vm parameters were
> needed, last week, and now Smalltalk at: stopped working.
>
> What do I need to do for Cobalt? I don't want to waste much time
> on this; I have more important things to worry about.

There should be no problems, currently, because all changes so far is
100% backwards compatible
with SmalltalkImage current.

Please, toss in the details about the problem you encountered and i
expect it will be fixed in a couple hours :)

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.

Re: Please, what is the status of Smalltalk and SmalltalkImage?

Randal L. Schwartz

Matthew> Hi. I haven't been paying too much attention to the above
Matthew> refactoring (I'll read the mails now), but what is up with that
Matthew> change? I'm trying to port a very large application (Cobalt) to
Matthew> the trunk. I replaced all occurrences of Smalltalk with
Matthew> SmalltalkImage current in all places where vm parameters were
Matthew> needed, last week, and now Smalltalk at: stopped working.

Matthew> What do I need to do for Cobalt? I don't want to waste much time
Matthew> on this; I have more important things to worry about.

Very old Squeak:

     Smalltalk at: #SomeGlobal
     Smalltalk version

Squeak after they decided that #version didn't belong in SystemDictionary
(3.8?):

     Smalltalk at: #SomeGlobal
     SmalltalkImage current version

Squeak trunk, after Andreas fixed history:

     Smalltalk at: #SomeGlobal
     Smalltalk version
     SmlltalkImage current version "still works"

In other words, everything old is new again, and everything recent
still works.

Smalltalk responds to all of the protocol of both SystemDictionary and the
intermediate SmalltalkImage.

See http://methodsandmessages.vox.com/ for Smalltalk and Seaside discussion

On Wed, Mar 10, 2010 at 02:24:20AM +0200, Igor Stasenko wrote:
> Please, toss in the details about the problem you encountered and i
> expect it will be fixed in a couple hours :)

SmalltalkImage doesNotUnderstand: #at:ifAbsentPut:

Matthew Fulmer (a.k.a. Tapple)

Re: Please, what is the status of Smalltalk and SmalltalkImage?

keith1y

On 10 Mar 2010, at 00:36, Matthew Fulmer wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 10, 2010 at 02:24:20AM +0200, Igor Stasenko wrote:
>> Please, toss in the details about the problem you encountered and i
>> expect it will be fixed in a couple hours :)
>
> SmalltalkImage doesNotUnderstand: #at:ifAbsentPut:

So your original call was Smalltalk at:ifAbsentPut:.

This call now becomes

Smalltalk globals at:ifAbsentPut:

but there are some dictionary methods on SmalltalkImage and you found
the one that got away.

regards

Keith

Matthew> On Wed, Mar 10, 2010 at 02:24:20AM +0200, Igor Stasenko wrote:
>> Please, toss in the details about the problem you encountered and i
>> expect it will be fixed in a couple hours :)

Matthew> SmalltalkImage doesNotUnderstand: #at:ifAbsentPut:

Hmm.  That should have been delegated to "self globals".

See http://methodsandmessages.vox.com/ for Smalltalk and Seaside discussion

Re: Please, what is the status of Smalltalk and SmalltalkImage?

Andreas.Raab
On 3/9/2010 4:20 PM, Matthew Fulmer wrote:
> Hi. I haven't been paying too much attention to the above
> refactoring (I'll read the mails now), but what is up with that
> change? I'm trying to port a very large application (Cobalt) to
> the trunk. I replaced all occurrences of Smalltalk with
> SmalltalkImage current in all places where vm parameters were
> needed, last week, and now Smalltalk at: stopped working.

Sorry for that. I noticed it myself yesterday but was too tired to fix
it. I've just posted an update that adds #at:ifAbsentPut: as part of the
at:[put:|ifAbsent:|ifPresent:] family of methods on SmalltalkImage.

Also, make sure you update from the TweakCore repository; I've posted a
fix for CParser that has much larger potential of causing some headaches
because it effectively turns off CParser completely (change from using
#method:context:encoder to #method:context:).

> What do I need to do for Cobalt? I don't want to waste much time
> on this; I have more important things to worry about.

There is not much you need to do. The one thing to check is whether any
extension methods are still on SystemDictionary; those need to be
transferred to SmalltalkImage. If you care about portability you might
need to access them via SmalltalkImage current xxx if you don't just
keep using Smalltalk xxx.

I don't recall if there were any extensions in Croquet or Cobalt but the
three extensions from Tweak are harmless since they're not used (and
I'll remove them when I get around to it).

Cheers,
   - Andreas

On Tue, Mar 09, 2010 at 04:55:40PM -0800, Andreas Raab wrote:

> On 3/9/2010 4:20 PM, Matthew Fulmer wrote:
> > Hi. I haven't been paying too much attention to the above
> > refactoring (I'll read the mails now), but what is up with that
> > change? I'm trying to port a very large application (Cobalt) to
> > the trunk. I replaced all occurrences of Smalltalk with
> > SmalltalkImage current in all places where vm parameters were
> > needed, last week, and now Smalltalk at: stopped working.
>
> Sorry for that. I noticed it myself yesterday but was too tired to fix
> it. I've just posted an update that adds #at:ifAbsentPut: as part of the
> at:[put:|ifAbsent:|ifPresent:] family of methods on SmalltalkImage.

Should System-ar.285 be merged with System-laza.289?

> Also, make sure you update from the TweakCore repository; I've posted a
> fix for CParser that has much larger potential of causing some headaches
> because it effectively turns off CParser completely (change from using
> #method:context:encoder to #method:context:).

I already fixed that in Tweak-Compiler-mtf.47. did I do it
wrong?

Matthew Fulmer (a.k.a. Tapple)

On 3/9/2010 5:08 PM, Matthew Fulmer wrote:
> I already fixed that in Tweak-Compiler-mtf.47. did I do it
> wrong?

No, I just missed that you had already committed it. Sorry.

Cheers,
   - Andreas