Plopp and Teddy (was: An interesting presentation and discussion, maybe still is)

Plopp and Teddy (was: An interesting presentation and discussion, maybe still is)

David Faught
Andreas Raab wrote:
>Avi Bryant wrote:
>> From what I can tell it's a 3d modeling tool for kids based on the
>> Teddy 3d sketching stuff (<a href="http://yap.jp.land.to/yas/pukiwiki.php?%5B%">http://yap.jp.land.to/yas/pukiwiki.php?%5B%
>> 5BPapers%2FTeddy%5D%5D).  Am I close? :)

>Close, but no cigar ;-) Plopp is a product based on the 3D painting
>system that's also in Croquet which is quite a bit different from Teddy.
>In Teddy, you draw an outline first and then you paint on the surface of
>the 3D extrusion. In Plopp you paint the entire object at once. This
>idea originated in the masters thesis of Jana Hintze at the games group
>in Magdeburg (see
>http://isgwww.cs.uni-magdeburg.de/games/projekte/kindervorlesung/jive.html).

Both of these approaches are very easy to use, so they appeal to me :)
 And the method of "inflation" is very similar between the two.

In the Croquet version of this system,  there are frequently errors
when the painted object doesn't have a strong continuous outline, and
the Teddy flavor, which is still in Squeak 3.8 Wonderland, is fun, but
not as easy to manipulate as I would like and has no export function.

At the moment, I am using an external modeler (Art of Illusion) to
create 3D models, but I would like to find an open-source 3D paint
program similar to Tattoo ( http://www.terabit.nildram.co.uk/tattoo/ )
to complement this.  One of the projects on my "someday" list is to
make a specialized version of the Squeak Wonderland Pooh-painting that
is easier to interact with and has better import/export capability.
Or maybe develop a whole new version of this, similar to Takeo
Igarashi's old Chameleon, only with Java and OpenGL for platform
independence.

As long as I'm daydreaming, it would be really nice to have cleaned
up, usable versions of Takeo Igarashi's SmoothTeddy and Squirrel,
which includes creating a model, painting it, and animating it, only
maybe rewritten in Croquet ...

Re: Plopp and Teddy (was: An interesting presentation and discussion, maybe still is)

Darius Clarke
David,

I just curious.
What do you think of Blender 3D for general 3D creation and import to
Croquet? Too hard? Too difficult to import? or still OK?

Cheers,
Darius