Plustool?

Marcus Pedersén
Hi!
I have seen some mails on Plustool here on the mailinglist and these
mails has caught my attension.
As I understand it is supposed to be the "next step" for morph, am I
right?
Is there any classes avaliable to try out? Or is the need for help on
testing code (I'm no master on Squeak though)?
Sounds realy interesting!
I have looked att SqueakMap but haven´t found anything.
Best regards
Marcus

Re: Plustool?

Cees De Groot
On 1/16/06, Marcus Pedersén <[hidden email]> wrote:
> As I understand it is supposed to be the "next step" for morph, am I
> right?

Nope. PlusTools is a set of tools (browser, debugger, workspace, ...)
that Andreas Raab whipped up as a proof of concept - proving the
validity and possibly the completeness of ToolBuilder.

ToolBuilder is a UI-independent user interface specification toolkit.
It has implementations in MVC, Morphic, Seaside and I think wxSqueak
and Tweak. The idea is that a developer has the exact same set of
tools independent of what UI is active in Squeak.

PlusTools, when adopted, will make sure that every extension to the
tools is available to developers under any UI. Which will be quite a
step in the process of cleaning Morphic, making Squeak less dependent
on any single UI (currently, if you dump Morphic, you dump a *lot* of
functionality), and hopefully making it easier to explore alternative
user interfaces.

Re: Plustools?

Andreas.Raab
Cees De Groot wrote:
> Nope. PlusTools is a set of tools (browser, debugger, workspace, ...)
> that Andreas Raab whipped up as a proof of concept - proving the
> validity and possibly the completeness of ToolBuilder.

Actually, even that is somewhat incorrect. The main reason why I did
this work was not to show completeness of ToolBuilder but rather to
understand what steps need to be undertaken to make the current set of
tools *unloadable* and decouple them from the rest of the system.

Obviously, this requires a bit of work and it's hard to do that work
when you have no tools to do the work with ;-) My main reason for using
ToolBuilder was that I might be able to reuse some of the work in Tweak
(if I thought that to be relevant) but it really was a secondary thought
(from my point of view there were enough examples for ToolBuilder before
that to show its validity).

Cheers,
   - Andreas