Point of potential interest.

Blake-5
Anyone seen the BlueJ development environment?

It's meant as an aid to teach Java.

I think it's interesting that it works by allowing you to create a live
environment of Java objects. A pallid imitation of Smalltalk. (But still
kinda cool.)

Re: Point of potential interest.

Aaron Reichow
Blake-

On Feb 8, 2007, at 11:49 PM, Blake wrote:

> Anyone seen the BlueJ development environment?
>
> It's meant as an aid to teach Java.
>
> I think it's interesting that it works by allowing you to create a
> live environment of Java objects. A pallid imitation of Smalltalk.
> (But still kinda cool.)

I've played with BlueJ some myself.  I was playing with it because I
specifically was looking for a way to get some Smalltalkishness for
Java, specifically some interactivity.            xxxxxxxx

That was back in 2000, when I was taking a Java class that was mostly
about writing GUIs in Swing for my sophomore year of college. I had
been using Squeak for about a year, having taught myself Smalltalk
over the previous year.  Like most who take an earnest look at
Smalltalk, I was hooked, and Smalltalk had replaced Python as my
favorite language, where it's remained since. No small feat for a
language enthusiast during a time where there are a lot of
contenders, some of which that are full featured and fun to code in,
languages like Io, Factor, Ruby, Python, etc.

Anyway, I was trying to find something to give me some of what
Smalltalk does for Java and ended up playing with BlueJ.  It is
indeed a learning tool, and past that it is of a very limited
usefulness. Now that I get paid to code in Java (and Python, but I'm
hoping to move that part to Squeak soon), I've not found a use for
BlueJ, and I get similar benefit from tools like Jython, which can
access any and all Java objects, including subclassing Java classes
as well as BeanShell.  Naturally, it'd be nice to get some GUI
inspectors and a class browser, but at least being able to send
messages and play around with the retuned values.

For those interested in tools like eToys, you might be interested in
Greenfoot (screenshots: http://www.greenfoot.org/about/
screenshots.html ), which is sort of a cross between BlueJ and a
wanna-be eToys.

Regards,
Aaron

Re: Point of potential interest.

Blake-5
On Thu, 08 Feb 2007 23:45:23 -0800, Aaron Reichow <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> That was back in 2000, when I was taking a Java class that was mostly
> about writing GUIs in Swing for my sophomore year of college. I had been
> using Squeak for about a year, having taught myself Smalltalk over the
> previous year.  Like most who take an earnest look at Smalltalk, I was
> hooked, and Smalltalk had replaced Python as my favorite language, where
> it's remained since. No small feat for a language enthusiast during a
> time where there are a lot of contenders, some of which that are full
> featured and fun to code in, languages like Io, Factor, Ruby, Python,
> etc.

I've had that problem for 15 years. And I imagine some here have had it
for more than 30. I'm a language junkie myself. It's just weird to watch
these other languages rise and fall after learning Smalltalk.

Re: Point of potential interest.

Giovanni Corriga
Il giorno gio, 08/02/2007 alle 21.49 -0800, Blake ha scritto:
> Anyone seen the BlueJ development environment?
>
> It's meant as an aid to teach Java.
>
> I think it's interesting that it works by allowing you to create a live
> environment of Java objects. A pallid imitation of Smalltalk. (But still
> kinda cool.)

I seem to recall that the author has declared that he took Smalltalk as
inspiration in creating BlueJ ;)

        Giovanni

Re: Point of potential interest.

Blake-5
On Fri, 09 Feb 2007 02:07:41 -0800, Giovanni Corriga
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> I seem to recall that the author has declared that he took Smalltalk as
> inspiration in creating BlueJ ;)

That's cool. Cool and sad. :-)

Re: Point of potential interest.

Eugene Wallingford

> >I seem to recall that the author has declared that he took Smalltalk as
> >inspiration in creating BlueJ ;)
>
> That's cool. Cool and sad. :-)

     He did.  He was looking for a way to teach objects to
     novices, and he considered but dismissed Smalltalk.
     The reasons were part linguistic, part cultural, and
     part practical.  (If you are interested I can find a
     pointer a paper he wrote explaining the search,
     given at SIGCSE.)

---- Eugene

Re: Point of potential interest.

Giovanni Corriga
Il giorno ven, 09/02/2007 alle 20.37 -0600, Eugene Wallingford ha
scritto:

> > >I seem to recall that the author has declared that he took Smalltalk as
> > >inspiration in creating BlueJ ;)
> >
> > That's cool. Cool and sad. :-)
>
>      He did.  He was looking for a way to teach objects to
>      novices, and he considered but dismissed Smalltalk.
>      The reasons were part linguistic, part cultural, and
>      part practical.  (If you are interested I can find a
>      pointer a paper he wrote explaining the search,
>      given at SIGCSE.)

Please do. Addressing his concerns would be good for both the devel team
(for the practical ones) and the pr team (for the linguistics and
cultural ones).

        Giovanni

Re: Point of potential interest.

dpharris
Quoting Giovanni Corriga <[hidden email]>:

> > > That's cool. Cool and sad. :-)
> >
> >      He did.  He was looking for a way to teach objects to
> >      novices, and he considered but dismissed Smalltalk.
> >      The reasons were part linguistic, part cultural, and
> >      part practical.  (If you are interested I can find a
> >      pointer a paper he wrote explaining the search,
> >      given at SIGCSE.)
>
> Please do. Addressing his concerns would be good for both the devel team
> (for the practical ones) and the pr team (for the linguistics and
> cultural ones).
>
> Giovanni

Hi-

This might be the paper: <http://www.bluej.org/papers/1996-03-environment-
paper.pdf>  but see <http://www.bluej.org/about/papers.html> for a list of
papers.

On page 2 of the above paper, he complains that Smalltalk lacks object-oriented
visualization machanisms, and lacks strong typing, which he claims "makes
impossible the provision of modelling support ... and seems to indicate that
statically typed languages can provide better support for large scale
development of large scale software." !

So, not sure it is really a lack in Smalltalk, but perhaps a failure of
understanding.

David

Re: Point of potential interest.

Eugene Wallingford

> > Please do. Addressing his concerns would be good for both the devel team
> > (for the practical ones) and the pr team (for the linguistics and
> > cultural ones).
> >
> > Giovanni
>
> This might be the paper: <http://www.bluej.org/papers/1996-03-environment-
> paper.pdf>  but see <http://www.bluej.org/about/papers.html> for a list of
> papers.

     Yes, that's a source of most of the BlueJ papers.  I also
     usually point forlks to two other papers that were published
     at SIGCSE.  This is their "requirements" paper:
          http://citeseer.ist.psu.edu/145662.html
     And this is their "proposal" paper:
          http://citeseer.ist.psu.edu/158237.html
     These papers explain some of the thinking that led up to
     BlueJ.

---- Eugene