Popularity or not of smalltalk?

123

Re: Popularity or not of smalltalk?

Francisco Ortiz Peñaloza

On Tue, Dec 7, 2010 at 2:57 PM, Sean P. DeNigris <[hidden email]> wrote:

This is fun!  Thanks for the discussion...

csrabak wrote:

> Sean, once you really get to metal subtleties and other nuances on the
> language and syntax appear to bug your team.  Have you ever heard of
> John McSweeney's "Smalltalk ‘Traps’" piece¹?

[ sean isOnChair ] whileTrue: [ sean laugh ].

7 pages! (actually 6.5 - with embedded images)  That actually proves my
point vs. entire textbooks ;-)  Not to mention that:

Just to ilustrate =)

Cheers,
Francisco

* the first page and a half's examples are trivial and not exactly "traps"
(the fact that self is implicitly returned)
* the "10 + (10 negated) negated" "trap" executes intuitively and correctly
in Squeak
* the example of changing a loop while iterating with do: seems like C++
code translated literally into Smalltalk
* the last 1.5 pages are totally contrived (and use global variables which
are discouraged anyway; I haven't had to use one yet) - yes, if you *want*
to screw up the system, you can:
   #right
       basicAt: 1 put: 119;
       basicAt: 2 put: 114;
       basicAt: 3 put: 111;
       basicAt: 4 put: 110;
       basicAt: 5 put: 103.
   #right
An equivalent argument is: if you hit your laptop repeatedly with a bat, it
will not work regardless of what programming language you were using, so you
might as well pick any

csrabak wrote:

> Well, comparing C, even C++ which normally hasn't automatic garbage
> collection, is somewhat stretching the argument...

Well, that's just the point, isn't it?  We're talking about language
popularity and those are #2 and #3 on the TIOBE index.

csrabak wrote:

> even with those
> "idiosyncrasies" as soon the size of the application grows up, these
> perks of Smalltalk quickly become less noticeable

I've been using Smalltalk for less than a year, but I'm already more
productive by far than in C, C++, or even Ruby, and haven't hit that limit
writing software for small businesses.  If there is a size at which the
benefit lessens, isn't it more likely caused by poor design/devs or any
number of factors (don't most large projects fail)?  It can't be the same or
worse to use a poor library in a dynamic live environment.  I recently wrote
a simple Ruby bridge and found it liberating to deal with the library in the
Smalltalk tools rather than in Ruby's code/run cycle.

csrabak wrote:

> Smalltalk... programmers attention to avoid the attribution of wrong
> objects to instance variables as there is no type checking...

I have never encountered this and I've often heard it said by dynamic
language experts to be mostly static language paranoia.  What is the
evidence that this becomes a severe problem in real-life dynamic systems?

Sean

Re: Popularity or not of smalltalk?

csrabak
Dennis,

I think if we dig enough we'll find a list of similar size right here in Pharo-project list...

Look for the thread about 'silent failures' by Bill Schawb, and similar threads.

We have to accept that what used to be 'oddity' became 'intuitive' or 'natural' as (my favorite example) the case of from ver 95 onwards, to turn off a Windows machine you've to look for the "Start" button...

--
Cesar Rabak

Just to compare: http://www.javapuzzlers.com/contents.html :)

 --
Dennis Schetinin

Re: Popularity or not of smalltalk?

csrabak
Sean,

Hope that additional to the fun, we can converge to an understanding how can we increase Smalltalk popularity.

OTOH, I made the reference as a sample, I did not intend to have this as all encompassing list of issues nor start a thread about comparisons with other languages.

As I said earlier, what is 'trivial' or 'intuitive' for some is 'maverick' or 'bizarre' for others, it is in the eyes of the beholder... ;-)

My main message is more around this: although Smalltalk was a very advanced technology when its inception, present status have almost all of its characteristics embedded in present technology.  Even, when newer concepts as xUnit have started in Smalltalk, the _concept_ was absorbed in mainstream technologies so again we're stuck with small delta between what Smalltalk does 'better' than the incumbent technologies we would like to replace.

csrabak wrote:

> Smalltalk... programmers attention to avoid the attribution of wrong
> objects to instance variables as there is no type checking...

I have never encountered this and I've often heard it said by dynamic
language experts to be mostly static language paranoia.  What is the
evidence that this becomes a severe problem in real-life dynamic systems?

Sean

Re: Popularity or not of smalltalk?

Jimmie Houchin-5
On 12/7/2010 5:38 PM, [hidden email] wrote:
> Sean,
>
> Hope that additional to the fun, we can converge to an understanding how can we increase Smalltalk popularity.
>
> OTOH, I made the reference as a sample, I did not intend to have this as all encompassing list of issues nor start a thread about comparisons with other languages.
>
> As I said earlier, what is 'trivial' or 'intuitive' for some is 'maverick' or 'bizarre' for others, it is in the eyes of the beholder... ;-)
>
> My main message is more around this: although Smalltalk was a very advanced technology when its inception, present status have almost all of its characteristics embedded in present technology.  Even, when newer concepts as xUnit have started in Smalltalk, the _concept_ was absorbed in mainstream technologies so again we're stuck with small delta between what Smalltalk does 'better' than the incumbent technologies we would like to replace.

I can't help but disagree with this most strenuously.

Almost nothing has touched Smalltalk's advanced technology. They don't
have the world view or paradigm for doing so. They are languages that
operate in dead cycles. They have dead processes and do dead post mortem
debugging. Yuck!  (yes, I know that was redundant. :)

I am not a computer scientist or trained programmer. I am a creative guy
who is a businessman. I find Smalltalk empowering. I also use Python
when necessary, but Squeak/Pharo is my preferred language. I find myself
infinitely more productive in Smalltalk than in Python. Operating in a
live environment is incredibly empowering, enabling and productive.
Where else can I find this. C, C++, C#, Java, Python, Ruby, VB, nope,
none...

Demonstrating large scale Smalltalk projects have been canceled does not
prove Smalltalk's inferiority, nor that the competition (should one
choose to refer to them as such) has caught up or passed us. Especially
when said project was not canceled for technical reasons but political
ones and for software that was/is demonstrably inferior to the already
existing Smalltalk software. But what it does prove is that Smalltalk
has been and can be effectively deployed for large scale projects where
someone has the courage or political will to choose something different
than the status quo languages.

The decisions of PHBs (Pointy Haired Bosses, Dilbert) does not
invalidate anything about Smalltalk. After all their primary motivation
is job security, not project success. No one ever got fired for
choosing, MS, Java, IBM, Oracle, etc...

The biggest weakness for Smalltalk or at least our open source version
in Squeak/Pharo IMHO is its integration, cooperation or access story to
certain outside systems and technologies. And I speak as an end user who
cannot develop a plugin, or use Alien or FFI and program in C.  In my
situation for example. I have to interface to either a Windows dll or to
a Java library to access financial servers. No choice. So I must choose
a technology which can interface their technology. In my case, I chose
to use Python to interface the Windows dll. I have written a minimal
Python app which accesses the dll and thus the servers to access the
data and my accounts. But the business logic I am writing in Pharo. The
Python app simply provides my Pharo app the data and executes the
actions directed by the Pharo app.

I would that I could have interfaced the dll (or Java library) directly
from Pharo. But despite that obstacle I am choosing to write my app in
Pharo. Most in this business are using VB/C#/Java. They do not provide
the flexibility or productivity that I have in Pharo/Smalltalk. They do
not enable the small guy like me as well as Pharo/Smalltalk. Yes, this
is my opinion. But guess what. This is a Pharo mailing list populated by
people who are for and proponents of Smalltalk. If we favored other
languages and environments we would be there. Many of those on the this
list are also pretty dog gone expert in the other technologies as well.
They did not make their decisions out of ignorance. What I don't
understand is that if you are so convinced that the advantages of
Smalltalk are so minimal and of no consequence, then why are you here?

I would like to see Pharo/Squeak bridge the gap to be able to interface
system components or other business libraries. I would like to be able
to use Pharo/Squeak anywhere I could use Python. I would like to see
that there are fewer and fewer technical reasons for not choosing
Pharo/Squeak. I can understand other choices. Other people are more
comfortable with other languages, systems, environments. They may have a
knowledge, systems, and process investment. But this can only validate
their decision for them and in no way invalidates the technology or
capabilities of Smalltalk.

There are many, many projects for which Smalltalk/Pharo/Squeak have no
discernible technological disadvantages. They do not require any systems
integration or use of the "native ui".

Enterprise. I agree with the sentiment that we don't need to worry about
it. Let Cincom address enterprise users. We need to empower the little
guy in the enterprise who has small side projects which do not have to
go through the same channels as the larger "enterprise" projects.
Projects for which they might choose Python or Ruby. Over time we can
improve our enterprise story and infiltration. Fortunately for us,
Smalltalk/Squeak/Pharo is in the long game. It has seen technologies
come and go and is still here. If we the open source Smalltalk community
continue to make the improvements we are making, then we will be an
increasingly viable choice for the entrepreneur, small businessman,
enterprise guy with the side project, the person with a project they do
on their personal time at home. It is the most enabling technology I know.

Well, I'll end my rant here and get back to being enabled in the
development of my business app.

Jimmie

Re: Popularity or not of smalltalk?

Eliot Miranda-2
Hear hear!!

(specific responses below)

On Tue, Dec 7, 2010 at 5:21 PM, Jimmie Houchin <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Indeed.  An immature FFI, lack of dll options etc.  Integration is indeed one of the biggest weaknesses.  But we're making progress here.  So things may be different in months, if not years.

[...]

Thanks for these fine words Jimmie!

best
Eliot

Re: Popularity or not of smalltalk?

Peter Hugosson-Miller
+10^27 (That's hellaplus ;-))

Best and most positive rant I've heard in a long time!

Peter

On Wed, Dec 8, 2010 at 2:26 AM, Eliot Miranda <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

David T. Lewis
Bravo, well and truly stated.

(I can't help but wonder how many folks who talk about this stuff have
actually encountered an "Enterprise" in real life, and if so why they
are still so eager to impress these people, much less go to work for them.)

Thanks Jimmy, you have captured a lot of positive energy in a few words.

Dave

On 12/7/2010 7:26 PM, Eliot Miranda wrote:
Hear hear!!

(specific responses below)

On Tue, Dec 7, 2010 at 5:21 PM, Jimmie Houchin <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 12/7/2010 5:38 PM, [hidden email] wrote:
[snip]

[...]

Thanks, I look forward to being able to port the Python portion to Squeak/Pharo.

Well, I'll end my rant here and get back to being enabled in the development of my business app.

Jimmie

Thanks for these fine words Jimmie!

You and everyone are most certainly welcome. I just couldn't hold it back anymore. :)

Jimmie

Re: Popularity or not of smalltalk?

Schwab,Wilhelm K
I have generally been able to connect to things.  The ODBC package works quite well.  We have some room to grow with handling of structure fields (Dolphin does a really nice job of it).  Dolphin also leads Squeak/Pharo in being able to make calls on separate OS threads (which can be VERY useful).  Dolphin handles callbacks out of the box, but as Eliot says, those things are in works.  We need a solid DoubleArray.

Networking was going to be the second thing I would start to use heavily; ironically, other things keep getting in line in front of it.  Seaside and MC/Gofer seem to make good use of sockets, but I have not (yet) been able to really pound them in my own code.  I send some SMTP messages, and I have one small TCP server that has been good to us.  My backup plan was to do do the job in Dolphin, but I didn't need to run home.

As for being eager to impress "Enterprises," I'm not really, but would not be bothered if we could do so without losing Smalltalk's strengths in the process.  I think it's not so much that we should not care to impress them, but that we might never be able to do so (in most cases).  I think Pharo has the potential to become the "gcc of Smalltalk."  We might land a big fish or two some day.

My usual concern stands: errors and broken and missing features are one thing, but, failures must be reported as exceptions and/or logged.  For VM level things where exceptions might be overkill or destabilizing, rotating logs could be helpful while keeping storage use to a low roar.

Jimmie, rant on, and good luck!

Bill

> [...]

> it. Let Cincom address enterprise users. We need to empower the little
> guy in the enterprise who has small side projects which do not have to
> go through the same channels as the larger "enterprise" projects.
> Projects for which they might choose Python or Ruby. Over time we can
> improve our enterprise story and infiltration. Fortunately for us,
> Smalltalk/Squeak/Pharo is in the long game. It has seen technologies
> come and go and is still here. If we the open source Smalltalk community
> continue to make the improvements we are making, then we will be an
> increasingly viable choice for the entrepreneur, small businessman,
> enterprise guy with the side project, the person with a project they do
> on their personal time at home. It is the most enabling technology I know.
>
> Well, I'll end my rant here and get back to being enabled in the

CdAB63
Em 06-12-2010 13:38, [hidden email] escreveu:
> James,
>
> The point of your post will surely be answered by other, and I'm sure you'll find good stuff in STIC and ESUG websites.
>
> However, the purpose of yours surprises me: why do you think that having "a popular and great IDE company" "supporting" Smalltalk is of any help?
In the past there were "big companies" "supporting" smalltalk and the
result was no good. If one reads some of smalltalk history he'll see a
spectacle of greed & other bad doings and nasty mistakes by corporations.

The biggest problem with smalltalk itself was that it was far ahead its
time. Now it's not. Further than that, when one sees things like CogVM
coming to life (which enhances performance of applications) and things
being developed in seaside and related tools (pier, magritte, etc) it
becomes clear the advantages of adopting smalltalk, despite some issues
are still recurrent like: the lack of a "foundation classes" definition
(thus much of trunk/pharo/etc changing overtime and requiring constant
attention and maintenance by developers) and lack of documentation
(which is consequence of first issue).
> Decoupling the Smalltalk environment from the "IDE" will make a Frankenstein which will make the acronym 'IDE' look like an oxymoron...
There are some implementations decoupled from IDEs. But in the end of
the day everybody needs a browser, an inspector, a debugger, a
workspace, a Transcript, etc... And nobody really needs to develop a
"windows native", "X Windows native", "aqua/OS-X/iOS native" version of
the same application (at least not that frequently). Anyways, if the
intention is running an application with the "native interface"
deactivated it's always possible to execute smalltalk headless.

Regards

CdAB

> Regards,
>
> --
> Cesar Rabak
>
> Em 06/12/2010 03:51, James Ladd < [hidden email] > escreveu:
>

> While pleading for Smalltalk support with a developer from a popular and great IDE company, I got the
>
> following response (below)
>

> Is there anything I can do/show to prove or disprove the popularity of Smalltalk?
>

> Rgs, James.
>

>>> Hello James.
>>> About Smalltalk plugin. Weel, I’m not sure Smalltalk has a big audience now. I’ve never heard about commercial products based on Smalltalk.
>>> Here, some statistics http://langpop.com/

Re: Popularity or not of smalltalk?

James

can you create separated thread?

Stef

On Dec 6, 2010, at 6:51 AM, James Ladd wrote:

> While pleading for Smalltalk support with a developer from a popular and great IDE company, I got the
> following response (below)
>
> Is there anything I can do/show to prove or disprove the popularity of Smalltalk?
>
> Rgs, James.
>
> >>Hello James.
> >>About Smalltalk plugin. Weel, I’m not sure Smalltalk has a big audience now. I’ve never heard about commercial products based on Smalltalk.
> >>Here, some statistics http://langpop.com/

Re: Popularity or not of smalltalk?

Igor Stasenko
On 8 December 2010 03:16, David T. Lewis <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Bravo, well and truly stated.
>
> (I can't help but wonder how many folks who talk about this stuff have
> actually encountered an "Enterprise" in real life, and if so why they
> are still so eager to impress these people, much less go to work for them.)

Yeah.. It is familiar attitude towards big companies, which i don't sharing.

It is starting from first small things, like "i am so proud that i
working in huge company" ,
which immediately rings the bell in my head with a thought: "so, maybe
you should start paying this company for being an employee of it?"

All this shit: thinking BIG , we are big, we are many.. the common
enterprise-level indoctrination , which have nothing to do with
a) productivity
b) efficiency
c) quality of products/services
and could even have a reverse effect.

So, that's why i DON'T care what enterprise-level people doing and
what they thinking about smalltalk. I KNOW that whatever they do, they
doing it wrong :)

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.

Re: Popularity or not of smalltalk?

Gary Chambers-4
Fortunately not the case here at Pinesoft ;-)

Regards, Gary

jimmie I agree :)

Re: Popularity or not of smalltalk?

> Indeed.  An immature FFI, lack of dll options etc.  Integration is indeed one of the biggest weaknesses.  But we're making progress here.  So things may be different in months, if not years.

Eliot did you get interpret reentrant?
Because we are discussing that point with igor and yes we want that to have :)

On Wed, Dec 8, 2010 at 9:00 AM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Indeed.  An immature FFI, lack of dll options etc.  Integration is indeed one of the biggest weaknesses.  But we're making progress here.  So things may be different in months, if not years.

Eliot did you get interpret reentrant?

I have a prototype reentrant FFI that can do threaded call-outs and receive threaded callbacks. I was demoing it in Argentina but my demo locks up the UI (not the entire image thoguh) so it is not by any means production-ready.  I need to find time to finish it.  That's not going to happen in the next two months.  I'll see what can be done to get it released in an unfinished state so that others can work on it.

best
Eliot

Because we are discussing that point with igor and yes we want that to have :)

Re: Popularity or not of smalltalk?

Alexandre Bergel
What is a reentrant interpret?

Alexandre

Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu

Re: Popularity or not of smalltalk?

csrabak
James,

Although belated, I've found this link with an interesting graph about popularity of languages, and the presence of Smalltalk among them:

http://revolution-computing.typepad.com/.a/6a010534b1db25970b0148c6d6a206970c-800wi

Hope can be useful,

--
Cesar Rabak

Em 07/12/2010 17:47, James Ladd < [hidden email] > escreveu:

Thank you all for the pointers. Luckily the IDE company has promised to write a plugin for Smalltalk this Janurary.

For me, the initial plugin may not be what Smalltalkers like but over time I'm going to enhance it to give the same
functionality as the current Code Browser.

My goal is to bring more people to Smalltalk and if that means a few changes to what an 'old school' smalltalkers
expect, then I am ok with that.

Rgs, James.

Re: Popularity or not of smalltalk?

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
Eliot Miranda-2 wrote
 When I started working for ParcPlace Systems companies like JPMorgan didn't
allow us to name then since using Smalltalk was such an important
competitive advantage.
Julian Fitzell says that this is still the case @ http://vimeo.com/17503969

Sean
Cheers,