Porting spoon's VM support

Tony Garnock-Jones-2
Hi all,

I've just finished getting Squeak running on the Neo1973 [1], an
OpenMoko [2] open-source GSM cellphone. So far, I have the stock VM able
to run stock images. In order to develop for the phone, I'd like to try
out a spoonish approach, so I thought I'd try to get spoon running.

I'm having trouble in two areas: cross-compiling an appropriate Flow
plugin (I need the latest primitive sources) and building an appropriate VM.

Could someone confirm for me that I will *not* be able to use a stock
Unix Squeak VM, say 3.9-8, with Spoon and an appropriate Flow plugin?
That is, are there mandatory changes to the core VM that need to be applied?

Thank you,
   Tony

[1] http://www.openmoko.com/products-index.html
[2] http://www.openmoko.org/

Re: Porting spoon's VM support

mike clemow
WOW!

Tony, do you have a smalltalk API built around the hardware on that
platform?  For instance the GPS device, etc?  So that squeak apps can
be built to interface with the hardware?

I'm more of a lurker on this list, but that's a very interesting
project.  Where do you normally post about your progress?

Cheers,
Mike

http://shadowofaculture.blogspot.com

mike clemow wrote:
> Tony, do you have a smalltalk API built around the hardware on that
> platform?  For instance the GPS device, etc?  So that squeak apps can
> be built to interface with the hardware?

I'm building one. The kernel programmers have done a smooth job of the
interface between the kernel and the userland. For instance, the
touchscreen is available by reading /dev/input/event2, and the GSM chip
is available through a few control files in /sys/ and by writing
Hayes-style AT commands to /dev/ttySAC0.

> I'm more of a lurker on this list, but that's a very interesting
> project.  Where do you normally post about your progress?

So far, just one post to LShift's blog:
http://www.lshift.net/blog/2007/08/23/squeak-and-openembedded

Regards,
   Tony

Re: Porting spoon's VM support

ccrraaiigg

Hi Tony--

 > Could someone confirm for me that I will *not* be able to use a stock
 > Unix Squeak VM, say 3.9-8, with Spoon and an appropriate Flow plugin?
 > That is, are there mandatory changes to the core VM that need to be
 > applied?

      That's right, you need to apply "spoonProcessorChanges.st" before
generating interp.c, to get remote messaging support. Also, Squeak seems
to have trouble on some Linux hosts with loading the released Flow
shared library, due to differences in the pthreads shared library
location. I'd be happy to help you with this.

      thanks,

-C

--
Craig Latta
improvisational musical informaticist

Re: Porting spoon's VM support

Tony Garnock-Jones-2
Thanks, Craig!

I've managed to get a Flow plugin building and running now (hooray!) so
the remaining thing for me to pin down the details of is the interp.c
regeneration process.

I'll take a stab at that this evening or tomorrow.

Regards,
  Tony

--
 [][][] Tony Garnock-Jones     | Mob: +44 (0)7905 974 211
   [][] LShift Ltd             | Tel: +44 (0)20 7729 7060