Porting squeak to embedded device

Ahmed Mansour

Hello,

I'm trying to port Squeak to an embedded platform, but one of the
limitations there is not MMU (Memory Management Unit) so the binary must
be statically linked and I wonder if it is possible to statically
compile it with plug-ins.is it possible to compile just the command line
to test and work on the graphic driver and input later?

Thanks,

TRY FREE IM TOOLPACK at http://www.imtoolpack.com/default.aspx?rc=if5
Capture screenshots, upload images, edit and send them to your friends
through IMs, post on Twitter®, Facebook®, MySpaceT, LinkedIn® - FAST!

Re: Porting squeak to embedded device

Jecel Assumpcao Jr

Ahmed,

> I'm trying to port Squeak to an embedded platform, but one of the
> limitations there is not MMU (Memory Management Unit) so the binary must
> be statically linked and I wonder if it is possible to statically
> compile it with plug-ins.is it possible to compile just the command line
> to test and work on the graphic driver and input later?

Though SqueakNOS runs on x86 PCs which do have MMUs, it doesn't use them
at all. So it might be a good example to look at:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/squeaknos/

http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/1762

Another good example is the SqueakDemoDisk from Marcus Denker (based on
his EmbeddedSqueak) which does not include graphics:

http://marcusdenker.de/Projects.html

Jon Hylands has been using Squeak on the ARM based Gumstix boards for
his robots, but I don't see information about this at:

http://www.huv.com/blog/

-- Jecel