Porting the vm to arm aarch64

Philip Bernhart
Hi,

I tried recently to compile the VM on a pine64,
which is a 64bit ARM variant. I stumbled over
that autoconf couldn't find the platform type
an issue which I'm investigating.

Anyway some suggestions regarding getting the
VM running on a slightly different platform
would be nice.

Thanks,
Philip

Re: Porting the vm to arm aarch64

KenDickey
Hello Philip,

I got the interpreter VM up on aarch64.  Built and tested on RasPi3
(ArchLinuxArm), SAMSUNG Chromebook Plus (Linux penguin), and LePotato
(Armbian).

Works, including FFI.  Not yet integrated into main git repo [pending
pull request].

>>  git clone https://github.com/KenDickey/opensmalltalk-vm oscogvm
>>  cd oscogvm/build.linux64ARMv8/squeak.stack.spur/build
>>  ./mvm  # answer 'y'=yes for 'clean' build

The build.linux64ARMv8 also contains an alpha build of Pharo (7), but it
is very slow.  Seems Pharo runs a lot of code to rely on JIT.  Cuis runs
well, Squeak OK.

Let me know of problems or questions..
-KenD
==========================

On 2019-02-25 13:00, Philip Bernhart wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I tried recently to compile the VM on a pine64,
> which is a 64bit ARM variant. I stumbled over
> that autoconf couldn't find the platform type
> an issue which I'm investigating.
>
> Anyway some suggestions regarding getting the
> VM running on a slightly different platform
> would be nice.
>

> Thanks,
> Philip
-KenD