Porting to Playstation2.

David Ryan-2

Hi vm-dev,

As suggested on the squeak-dev mailing list, I should ask questions about
porting on this list.  As this list is still new, I hope there are people
listening. :)

My first problem.  Getting to the ports source on subversion.  I downloaded
tortoise SVN and tried to do a SVN checkout on the location
http://squeak.hpl.hp.com/svn/squeak/trunk

At two locations I got the response  REPORT request failed on
'/svn/squeak/!svn/vcc/default'  REPORT of '/svn/squeak/!svn/vcc/default':
400 Bad Request (http://squeak.hpl.hp.com)

Anyone suggest anything I might be doing wrong?  Either both my ISPs don't
have very badly configured smart proxies or I'm doing something wrong.  I
suspect the later.  If it is my ISPs, anyone have a snapshort archive I can
use?

I'm attempting to checkout to the location c:\squeak\src which I think is
where VMMaker wants it?

Thanks for any help,
David.

Re: Porting to Playstation2.

goran.krampe
Hi David and all!

"David Ryan" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi vm-dev,
>
> As suggested on the squeak-dev mailing list, I should ask questions about
> porting on this list.  As this list is still new, I hope there are people
> listening. :)

Well, I am at least. :)

> My first problem.  Getting to the ports source on subversion.  I downloaded
> tortoise SVN and tried to do a SVN checkout on the location
> http://squeak.hpl.hp.com/svn/squeak/trunk

Just did such a checkout and it worked fine. I have no proxies etc, your
issue is most probably this:

        http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak/5596

> At two locations I got the response  REPORT request failed on
> '/svn/squeak/!svn/vcc/default'  REPORT of '/svn/squeak/!svn/vcc/default':
> 400 Bad Request (http://squeak.hpl.hp.com)
>
> Anyone suggest anything I might be doing wrong?  Either both my ISPs don't
> have very badly configured smart proxies or I'm doing something wrong.  I
> suspect the later.  If it is my ISPs, anyone have a snapshort archive I can
> use?

Sure, I can fix one for you if all else fails. Mail me privately in that
case.

> I'm attempting to checkout to the location c:\squeak\src which I think is
> where VMMaker wants it?

VMMaker tool can be told where the src tree is.

> Thanks for any help,
> David.

regards,Göran

Re: Porting to Playstation2.

David Ryan-2

Hi Goran,

Great to see atleast two people on the list.  It seems both my ISPs are
catching all HTTP requests.  I noticed that one way around this was to use
SSL via HTTPS, but it doesn't seem the server is configured for this.
Another way was via port 81 but that doesn't seem to be activated either?
Can anyeone confirm both of these?

If you can supply a snapshot that would be great.  Its really just so I can
get some examples of how to go about a port.

Thanks,
David.

>Hi David and all!
>
>"David Ryan" <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Hi vm-dev,
> >
> > As suggested on the squeak-dev mailing list, I should ask questions
>about
> > porting on this list.  As this list is still new, I hope there are
>people
> > listening. :)
>
>Well, I am at least. :)
>
> > My first problem.  Getting to the ports source on subversion.  I
>downloaded
> > tortoise SVN and tried to do a SVN checkout on the location
> > http://squeak.hpl.hp.com/svn/squeak/trunk
>
>Just did such a checkout and it worked fine. I have no proxies etc, your
>issue is most probably this:
>
> http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak/5596
>
> > At two locations I got the response  REPORT request failed on
> > '/svn/squeak/!svn/vcc/default'  REPORT of
>'/svn/squeak/!svn/vcc/default':
> > 400 Bad Request (http://squeak.hpl.hp.com)
> >
> > Anyone suggest anything I might be doing wrong?  Either both my ISPs
>don't
> > have very badly configured smart proxies or I'm doing something wrong.
> > suspect the later.  If it is my ISPs, anyone have a snapshort archive I
>can
> > use?
>
>Sure, I can fix one for you if all else fails. Mail me privately in that
>case.
>
> > I'm attempting to checkout to the location c:\squeak\src which I think
>is
> > where VMMaker wants it?
>
>VMMaker tool can be told where the src tree is.
>
> > Thanks for any help,
> > David.
>
>regards,Göran

Re: Porting to Playstation2.

Bert Freudenberg-3
You could use a webcrawler to download the source. Assuming you are on
a unix-like system, try

        wget -r -np http://squeak.hpl.hp.com/svn/squeak/trunk/

(for me, reconfiguring my router's proxy allowed the checkout to work
just fine)

- Bert -

Am 14.02.2005 um 11:23 schrieb David Ryan:

> Hi Goran,
>
> Great to see atleast two people on the list.  It seems both my ISPs
> are catching all HTTP requests.  I noticed that one way around this
> was to use SSL via HTTPS, but it doesn't seem the server is configured
> for this.  Another way was via port 81 but that doesn't seem to be
> activated either?  Can anyeone confirm both of these?
>
> If you can supply a snapshot that would be great.  Its really just so
> I can get some examples of how to go about a port.
>
> Thanks,
> David.
>
>> Hi David and all!
>>
>> "David Ryan" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> >
>> > Hi vm-dev,
>> >
>> > As suggested on the squeak-dev mailing list, I should ask questions
>> about
>> > porting on this list.  As this list is still new, I hope there are
>> people
>> > listening. :)
>>
>> Well, I am at least. :)
>>
>> > My first problem.  Getting to the ports source on subversion.  I
>> downloaded
>> > tortoise SVN and tried to do a SVN checkout on the location
>> > http://squeak.hpl.hp.com/svn/squeak/trunk
>>
>> Just did such a checkout and it worked fine. I have no proxies etc,
>> your
>> issue is most probably this:
>>
>> http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak/5596
>>
>> > At two locations I got the response  REPORT request failed on
>> > '/svn/squeak/!svn/vcc/default'  REPORT of
>> '/svn/squeak/!svn/vcc/default':
>> > 400 Bad Request (http://squeak.hpl.hp.com)
>> >
>> > Anyone suggest anything I might be doing wrong?  Either both my
>> ISPs don't
>> > have very badly configured smart proxies or I'm doing something
>> wrong.  I
>> > suspect the later.  If it is my ISPs, anyone have a snapshort
>> archive I can
>> > use?
>>
>> Sure, I can fix one for you if all else fails. Mail me privately in
>> that
>> case.
>>
>> > I'm attempting to checkout to the location c:\squeak\src which I
>> think is
>> > where VMMaker wants it?
>>
>> VMMaker tool can be told where the src tree is.
>>
>> > Thanks for any help,
>> > David.
>>
>> regards,Göran

Re: Porting to Playstation2.

David Ryan-2

First, thanks Bert, the webcrawler solution worked like a charm. :)  Now the
fun starts.

The first really basic question about VMMaker.  Should the path to generated
sources overlap with the platforms code?  Currently I have it pointing to
another location, but don't understand what gets copied from the platform
tree.  There seems to be some hidden magic I'm not seeing.

I've setup a new directory with the following structure:

c:\squeak\src\platforms\ps2

\misc\ToCopy
    Makefile
    Makefile.pref
\plugins
     -- nothing here yet --
\vm
    sq.h
    sqConfig.h
    sqNamedPrims.c
    sqPlatformSpecific.c
    sqPlatformSpecific.h
    sqPs2Exports.c
    sqPs2Main.c
    sqVirtualMachine.c
    sqVirtualMachine.h

My makefile and its preferences get copied correctly, but the vm files
don't.  Should the makefile simply refer back to the source tree, or is
another technique used?  Once I get this sorted out I will commit the file
to my CVS so people can see my progress.

So far, with the above files all manually copied to the output directory,
and all the required functions stubbed out, I can compile an executable.

Thanks,
David.

Re: Porting to Playstation2.

Alan Grimes

> My makefile and its preferences get copied correctly, but the vm files
> don't.  Should the makefile simply refer back to the source tree, or
> is another technique used?  Once I get this sorted out I will commit
> the file to my CVS so people can see my progress.
>
> So far, with the above files all manually copied to the output
> directory, and all the required functions stubbed out, I can compile
> an executable.

The build process always has three directories:

./src/*
./platforms/*

and
./bld.

My usual sequence for making a unix VM is to do (in my newly created
build directory)

 > ../platforms/unix/config/configure ; make

Anyway, my own VM question is wheather anyone has bothered to document
the unix display plugins?

I know that Ian's refactoring changed alot of stuff for the better but
he never documented how one goes about designing and writing one...

I ask because I wanted to try out different display libraries such as SDL..