Poser: demo 6 version doesn't save. But 5 is cheap

Poser: demo 6 version doesn't save. But 5 is cheap

Howard Stearns
I wanted to try out some of Minnesota's cool motion-capture avatar
technology, but I didn't have any working avatars/motions.

Mark tells us how to get Second Life's starter avatars at http://
croquet-bento.blogspot.com/2006/06/better-avatars.html
but you need to run them through Poser. (You also need to read the
Readme.txt that comes one level down in the Avatar_Mannequin
download, in order to learn where to put the figures so that Poser
will see them.)

I heard that there are trial versions of Poser 6, but don't waste
your time. They're crippled so as to not save.

However, http://blog.secondlife.com/2006/09/02/free-poser/ says that
5 is available for $20. (but not on Mac tiger, alas)  I haven't tried
it yet -- just wanted to report progress...

-H

PS: The Second Life starter stuff sure looks a LOT like the
mannequins that apparently come delivered with the paid version of
Poser. Hard to see how Second Life would could claim IP on that, if
anyone's who's done this is inclined to share...

Re: Poser: demo 6 version doesn't save. But 5 is cheap

Kyle Hamilton
They do look a lot like the default models, but they were released
specifically because the joint locations are in different places --
people had been creating animations that weren't operating properly on
their SL avatars and couldn't figure out why.

And I hate IP issues. :P

-Kyle H