PositionableStream does too much?

Frank Shearar-3
It looks like PositionableStream serves both as an introducer of
certain specific functionality - making a stream where you can move
arbitrarily forwards and backwards through a stream - but also has a
bunch of stuff relating to filing in/out chunk-formatted Smalltalk
code. It looks like the entire fileIn/Out category either belongs in a
separate subclass, or at least belongs in the System package, along
with ChangeSets and the other Object Storage code. (I can see an
argument for pulling all

#skipSeparators looks like the only method in that category that has
general utility.

Ideally we'd split the responsibility, but (a) I think separating the
packages is more immediately important and (b) at some point I'd like
to push hard for moving over to Xtreams based work.

Together with this, ReadWriteStream has a fileIn/Out category that
also looks like it belongs with the rest of the file in/out logic, in
System.

What do you think of moving these entire categories (except maybe
#skipSeparators) to System?

frank

re: PositionableStream does too much?

ccrraaiigg

> What do you think of moving these entire categories...

     Great!

-C

--
Craig Latta
www.netjam.org/resume

re: PositionableStream does too much?

Nicolas Cellier
+1 too.

2013/12/28 Craig Latta <[hidden email]>

> What do you think of moving these entire categories...

     Great!

-C

--
Craig Latta
www.netjam.org/resume
(Skype rings this until 31 January 2014)

re: PositionableStream does too much?

Frank Shearar-3
OK, it's done. There's probably a whole lot more that could move, but
I've stuck to only addressing those file in/out parts that cause a
dependency between Collections and System.

There's probably an entire package worth of logic in that file in/out
stuff. It's all over the place. (As in, many objects have methods that
deal with filing in/out text/code/objects).

frank