Postgres

Ramiro Diaz Trepat
Hello,
   I need to connect to a Postgres database.  I've installed the
PostgresV2, Glorp and Ramon's MagritteGlorp package.
   First of all, I wanted to test the Postgres package, so I changed
the connection arguments in TestPGConnection to the server, userid and
password used that I am using, and then executed the most basic
method: testConnection, which coughed at me: "PGConnection has a
defective state machine"
   Is there any particular thing I should reset or install to get the
Postgres package to work?
   Thanks

   r.

RE: Postgres

Ramon Leon-5
> Hello,
>    I need to connect to a Postgres database.  I've installed
> the PostgresV2, Glorp and Ramon's MagritteGlorp package.
>    First of all, I wanted to test the Postgres package, so I
> changed the connection arguments in TestPGConnection to the
> server, userid and password used that I am using, and then
> executed the most basic
> method: testConnection, which coughed at me: "PGConnection
> has a defective state machine"
>    Is there any particular thing I should reset or install to
> get the Postgres package to work?
>    Thanks
>

>    r.

Go into pg_hba.config and change the authentication method from md5 to
password, restart postgres.  Squeak will connect fine after that.

Ramon Leon
http://onsmalltalk.com

Re: Postgres

Ramiro Diaz Trepat
Thank you Ramón !!
That did it.  All 21 tests are green now.

On 3/28/07, Ramon Leon <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > Hello,
> >    I need to connect to a Postgres database.  I've installed
> > the PostgresV2, Glorp and Ramon's MagritteGlorp package.
> >    First of all, I wanted to test the Postgres package, so I
> > changed the connection arguments in TestPGConnection to the
> > server, userid and password used that I am using, and then
> > executed the most basic
> > method: testConnection, which coughed at me: "PGConnection
> > has a defective state machine"
> >    Is there any particular thing I should reset or install to
> > get the Postgres package to work?
> >    Thanks
> >

> >    r.
>
> Go into pg_hba.config and change the authentication method from md5 to
> password, restart postgres.  Squeak will connect fine after that.
>
> Ramon Leon
> http://onsmalltalk.com

RE: Postgres

Ramon Leon-5

No problem, but be warned, that MagritteGlorp package is alpha.  It doesn't
deal with inheritance at all, and if it can't decipher your Magritte
descriptions well enough, you may see some confusing errors.  See the wiki
page SqueakMap for some more info.

It's a good start on an automatic persistence solution, but I haven't had
time to deal with the inheritance issue, or polish it up at all.

Ramon Leon
http://onsmalltalk.com

RE: Postgres

Sebastian Sastre-2

The 'trust' option also work at a less(?) secure level. It's a pity we don’t
have md5 for postgres yet because is the preferred/recommended method for DB
conections.

Cheers,

Sebastian Sastre

> Ramon Leon
> http://onsmalltalk.com

Re: Postgres

Philippe Marschall
2007/3/28, Sebastian Sastre <[hidden email]>:

> [...]
But we do have md5 auth for postgres. You just need to load
Cryptography and MD5 before the PostgresV2 driver.

Philippe

> Cheers,
>
> Sebastian Sastre
>

> > Ramon Leon
> > http://onsmalltalk.com

RE: Postgres

Sebastian Sastre-2

That's good news! I'll give it a try. Thanks Phillipe.
Sebastian

> Philippe
>
> > Cheers,
> >
> > Sebastian Sastre
> >

> > > Ramon Leon
> > > http://onsmalltalk.com

RE: Postgres

Ron Teitelbaum
Hi All,

We do have MD5 and it works great.  You can load MD5 from the Cryptograpy
repository at SqueakSource.  Also see
http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id=3834 .

With those two changes PostgreSQL works great!

Ron Teitelbaum
Squeak Cryptography Team Leader

> From: Sebastian Sastre

Re: Postgres

Yanni Chiu
Ramiro Diaz Trepat wrote:
> ...  which coughed at me: "PGConnection has a
> defective state machine"

I wish I'd chosen different wording. The "defect" is that
the state machine was supposed to be improved, and eventually
account for all error conditions, and be able to recover
from lost connections and such like. Oh well, if PostgresV3
ever gets built, that'll be the first change.

RE: Postgres

Ron Teitelbaum
Yanni,

Your client is great!  Thanks for building it.  Without your work we would
have fallen way behind supporting PostgreSQL for Squeak.

Ron Teitelbaum
Squeak Cryptography Team Leader.

> From: Yanni Chiu
>
> Ramiro Diaz Trepat wrote:
> > ...  which coughed at me: "PGConnection has a
> > defective state machine"
>
> I wish I'd chosen different wording. The "defect" is that
> the state machine was supposed to be improved, and eventually
> account for all error conditions, and be able to recover
> from lost connections and such like. Oh well, if PostgresV3
> ever gets built, that'll be the first change.

Re: Postgres

Ramiro Diaz Trepat
Yes, certainly.
It's already working perfectly.  I just did not know were to start
looking after that error message.
Thanks and I hope V3 is on the way with the integration of the
Criptography MD5 package too :)
By the way, the cryptography package really rocks ;)

On 3/28/07, Ron Teitelbaum <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Yanni,
>
> Your client is great!  Thanks for building it.  Without your work we would
> have fallen way behind supporting PostgreSQL for Squeak.
>
> Ron Teitelbaum
> Squeak Cryptography Team Leader.
>
> > From: Yanni Chiu
> >
> > Ramiro Diaz Trepat wrote:
> > > ...  which coughed at me: "PGConnection has a
> > > defective state machine"
> >
> > I wish I'd chosen different wording. The "defect" is that
> > the state machine was supposed to be improved, and eventually
> > account for all error conditions, and be able to recover
> > from lost connections and such like. Oh well, if PostgresV3
> > ever gets built, that'll be the first change.

RE: Postgres

Ron Teitelbaum

> From: Ramiro Diaz Trepat
>
> By the way, the cryptography package really rocks ;)

Thanks Ramiro, please come and join the team!

We are just getting started, just wait!