Preparing for Exupery 0.12

Bryce Kampjes

I've decided to release what I've got. There's more than enough in
this release to justify releasing. The background compiler now runs
for about a hour. It'll still need some work before it is practical,
that's probably next.

This release
  * Has a background compiler that can be run for about a hour
  * Has many bug fixes
  * Merges in David and John's 32 bit clean work and makes Exupery
    32 bit clean.

Andy, when can you build a Window's VM?

Mathieu is planning on building a Mac VM.

To use the background compiler:

First initialise Exupery to prepare the code cache. This will
also clear out any currently compiled code.

   Exupery initialiseExupery

Then start the background compiler using the following expression.

   Exupery startBackgroundCompilation.

Then when done use the following to stop it.

   Exupery stopBackgroundCompilation.

Bryce

Re: Preparing for Exupery 0.12

Andrew Tween
Hi Bryce,
<[hidden email]> wrote in message
news:[hidden email]...

> I've decided to release what I've got. There's more than enough in
> this release to justify releasing. The background compiler now runs
> for about a hour. It'll still need some work before it is practical,
> that's probably next.
>
> This release
>  * Has a background compiler that can be run for about a hour
>  * Has many bug fixes
>  * Merges in David and John's 32 bit clean work and makes Exupery
>    32 bit clean.
>
> Andy, when can you build a Window's VM?

I'll try to do this in the next couple of days.
Please could you let me know the version numbers of the Exupery packages to
use, and also which image you are using to build from (3.8, 3.9, 3.10,
3.10-dev etc).
Thanks,
Andy

Andrew Tween writes:
 > Hi Bryce,
 > <[hidden email]> wrote in message
 > news:[hidden email]...
 > >
 > > I've decided to release what I've got. There's more than enough in
 > > this release to justify releasing. The background compiler now runs
 > > for about a hour. It'll still need some work before it is practical,
 > > that's probably next.
 > >
 > > This release
 > >  * Has a background compiler that can be run for about a hour
 > >  * Has many bug fixes
 > >  * Merges in David and John's 32 bit clean work and makes Exupery
 > >    32 bit clean.
 > >
 > > Andy, when can you build a Window's VM?
 >
 > I'll try to do this in the next couple of days.
 > Please could you let me know the version numbers of the Exupery packages to
 > use, and also which image you are using to build from (3.8, 3.9, 3.10,
 > 3.10-dev etc).
 > Thanks,
 > Andy

I'm building in 3.9 squeak-dev images. Any 3.9 or 3.8 image should
work.

It's versions
        Exupery-wbk.274.mcz
        VMMaker-wbk.78.mcz

It may be worthwhile finding the C source for the 32 bit clean work.
I'm not sure if this was a problem on Windows.

The easiest way of building an Exupery development image now
is to load "Exupery development" from package universes. It's
necessary to update CommandShell from SqueakMap so GraphViz will
work.

Bryce