Pristine recent 4.4 image?

Frank Shearar-3
This is a bit of a strange request, but anyway. Is there a blessed
trunk image lying around somewhere more recent than #11925? I ask,
because if I take that image (the latest one in
http://ftp.squeak.org/trunk/) and try update it, I get an "Error:
Unmatched string quote" while processing update-eem.210.mcm. I vaguely
recall this happened around the last GetText changes?

At any rate, if someone has a blessed, more recent, image lying around
I'd be grateful. (The idea is to take such a thing, write a script to
update from trunk, and then run the tests. That tells us that Trunk's
working.)

frank

Re: Pristine recent 4.4 image?

Levente Uzonyi-2
On Fri, 3 Aug 2012, Frank Shearar wrote:

> This is a bit of a strange request, but anyway. Is there a blessed
> trunk image lying around somewhere more recent than #11925? I ask,
> because if I take that image (the latest one in
> http://ftp.squeak.org/trunk/) and try update it, I get an "Error:
> Unmatched string quote" while processing update-eem.210.mcm. I vaguely
> recall this happened around the last GetText changes?

That must be a bug with that image. I just ran an update from a fresh
Squeak 4.3 image and it got updated to the latest version in 2-3 minutes
without hiccups.

Btw, I'd like to see 2 CI jobs which test updating. One that updates from
the previous release and is ran daily. The other is ran from the previous
update. Ideally this would be triggered by a change done to the Trunk (if
a change is done, then wait 5 minutes and if no other change occured,
then start the update).

The first one would only ensure that updating from a previous version is
not broken, the second one could be the basis (the updated image) for
running the test, loading/unloading packages and running the tests,
running the tests multiple times, etc.

> At any rate, if someone has a blessed, more recent, image lying around
> I'd be grateful. (The idea is to take such a thing, write a script to
> update from trunk, and then run the tests. That tells us that Trunk's
> working.)

See above. :)

Levente

> frank

Re: Pristine recent 4.4 image?

Frank Shearar-3
On 3 August 2012 13:00, Levente Uzonyi <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Fri, 3 Aug 2012, Frank Shearar wrote:
>
>> This is a bit of a strange request, but anyway. Is there a blessed
>> trunk image lying around somewhere more recent than #11925? I ask,
>> because if I take that image (the latest one in
>> http://ftp.squeak.org/trunk/) and try update it, I get an "Error:
>> Unmatched string quote" while processing update-eem.210.mcm. I vaguely
>> recall this happened around the last GetText changes?
>

> That must be a bug with that image. I just ran an update from a fresh Squeak
> 4.3 image and it got updated to the latest version in 2-3 minutes without
> hiccups.

I took the final release, changed its update to trunk, and got a
syntax error notification saying "Unmatched comment quote" during
update-b4.204.mcm. Same if I take the image from the all-in-one. I
don't see why VM version should matter but this is with Cog r2562. Ah.
No, it was the sources file that was a bit broken. Replacing with the
all-in-one's sources file I can update.

frank

> Btw, I'd like to see 2 CI jobs which test updating. One that updates from
> the previous release and is ran daily. The other is ran from the previous
> update. Ideally this would be triggered by a change done to the Trunk (if a
> change is done, then wait 5 minutes and if no other change occured, then
> start the update).

Currently you mean this to be "update from the official 4.3 release",
right? That's a good idea.

frank

> The first one would only ensure that updating from a previous version is not
> broken, the second one could be the basis (the updated image) for running
> the test, loading/unloading packages and running the tests, running the
> tests multiple times, etc.
>

>> At any rate, if someone has a blessed, more recent, image lying around
>> I'd be grateful. (The idea is to take such a thing, write a script to
>> update from trunk, and then run the tests. That tells us that Trunk's
>> working.)
>

> See above. :)
>

> Levente
>

>> frank

Re: Pristine recent 4.4 image?

Chris Muller-3
On Fri, Aug 3, 2012 at 7:14 AM, Frank Shearar <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On 3 August 2012 13:00, Levente Uzonyi <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On Fri, 3 Aug 2012, Frank Shearar wrote:
>>
>>> This is a bit of a strange request, but anyway. Is there a blessed
>>> trunk image lying around somewhere more recent than #11925? I ask,
>>> because if I take that image (the latest one in
>>> http://ftp.squeak.org/trunk/) and try update it, I get an "Error:
>>> Unmatched string quote" while processing update-eem.210.mcm. I vaguely
>>> recall this happened around the last GetText changes?

Yes, I believe that error is related to the GetText package.

>> That must be a bug with that image. I just ran an update from a fresh Squeak
>> 4.3 image and it got updated to the latest version in 2-3 minutes without
>> hiccups.

If that's really true, you should upload THAT exact image to the ftp
server -- because I think our release images should just be updated
code and not a lot of fiddling around in the image, leaving
unintentional accumulated state.  For example, preferable not release
an image in which the tests were run.

Frank, what I tried to do for the 4.2 release was _capture_ the
release process by which the image was generated into a "one click"
(doit) which would do all the final prep things before saving and
exiting the final image which was used for the actual download.  It's
ReleaseBuilderTrunk.  This, of course, was intended to be an evolving
process so feel free to make changes.

> I took the final release, changed its update to trunk, and got a
> syntax error notification saying "Unmatched comment quote" during
> update-b4.204.mcm. Same if I take the image from the all-in-one. I
> don't see why VM version should matter but this is with Cog r2562. Ah.
> No, it was the sources file that was a bit broken. Replacing with the
> all-in-one's sources file I can update.

Oh wow!  Great!  Hmm, I wonder how your sources file got corrupted?
There's no updating of a .sources file except intentionally...

Re: Pristine recent 4.4 image?

Frank Shearar-3
On 3 August 2012 17:55, Chris Muller <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 3, 2012 at 7:14 AM, Frank Shearar <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Yes, I believe that error is related to the GetText package.
>
>>> That must be a bug with that image. I just ran an update from a fresh Squeak
>>> 4.3 image and it got updated to the latest version in 2-3 minutes without
>>> hiccups.
>
> If that's really true, you should upload THAT exact image to the ftp
> server -- because I think our release images should just be updated
> code and not a lot of fiddling around in the image, leaving
> unintentional accumulated state.  For example, preferable not release
> an image in which the tests were run.

Yes, agreed. I must adjust the build a bit to do just that, actually.
But that's why I copy the image. Actually, to be precise: I should
take an image, update it, archive THAT image, run tests, and throw
away the has-run-test state.

> Frank, what I tried to do for the 4.2 release was _capture_ the
> release process by which the image was generated into a "one click"
> (doit) which would do all the final prep things before saving and
> exiting the final image which was used for the actual download.  It's
> ReleaseBuilderTrunk.  This, of course, was intended to be an evolving
> process so feel free to make changes.
>
>> I took the final release, changed its update to trunk, and got a
>> syntax error notification saying "Unmatched comment quote" during
>> update-b4.204.mcm. Same if I take the image from the all-in-one. I
>> don't see why VM version should matter but this is with Cog r2562. Ah.
>> No, it was the sources file that was a bit broken. Replacing with the
>> all-in-one's sources file I can update.
>
> Oh wow!  Great!  Hmm, I wonder how your sources file got corrupted?
> There's no updating of a .sources file except intentionally...

I got it from my dev environment, and I have seen many times strange
errors that I couldn't explain. I'm not surprised that it was
corrupted, even though I'm at a loss to explain how it got corrupted.

frank