Private metods as my*?

Blake-5
Greetings,

        I'm trying to fill in the gaps in my Smalltalk knowledge and so am going
through some of the free books (thanks, Steph!). Right now I'm looking at
"Smalltalk By Example" where it talks about the absence of private
messages. (I've run up against methods that were private I've needed so
much in other langauges that I'm not a big fan of the concept, but that
aside...)

        Anyway, it suggests using a my- prefix for privates and an fr- for
friends (or "protected", I guess).

        Thoughts?

        ===Blake===

Re: Private metods as my*?

Bert Freudenberg

On Feb 27, 2007, at 22:05 , Blake wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> I'm trying to fill in the gaps in my Smalltalk knowledge and so am
> going through some of the free books (thanks, Steph!). Right now
> I'm looking at "Smalltalk By Example" where it talks about the
> absence of private messages. (I've run up against methods that were
> private I've needed so much in other langauges that I'm not a big
> fan of the concept, but that aside...)
>
> Anyway, it suggests using a my- prefix for privates and an fr- for
> friends (or "protected", I guess).
>
> Thoughts?

I've never seen a "fr" prefix, and seldomly a "my". To emphasize
privacy, "private" seems to be the most common prefix (just check a
regular image).

There is also a private prefix that is even enforced by the compiler:
"pvt". It will only allow to send this to "self". This should only be
used in highly sensitive places, if at all.

- Bert -

Re: Private metods as my*?

Blake-5
On Tue, 27 Feb 2007 13:24:25 -0800, Bert Freudenberg
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> I've never seen a "fr" prefix, and seldomly a "my". To emphasize
> privacy, "private" seems to be the most common prefix (just check a
> regular image).
>
> There is also a private prefix that is even enforced by the compiler:
> "pvt". It will only allow to send this to "self". This should only be
> used in highly sensitive places, if at all.

Thanks, Bert.

So, that's a commonly held value in Smalltalk, i.e., privates should be
severely limited if used at all? (I highly incline that way myself.)

Re: Private metods as my*?

Bert Freudenberg

On Mar 2, 2007, at 1:56 , Blake wrote:

> On Tue, 27 Feb 2007 13:24:25 -0800, Bert Freudenberg
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> I've never seen a "fr" prefix, and seldomly a "my". To emphasize
>> privacy, "private" seems to be the most common prefix (just check
>> a regular image).
>>
>> There is also a private prefix that is even enforced by the
>> compiler: "pvt". It will only allow to send this to "self". This
>> should only be used in highly sensitive places, if at all.
>
> Thanks, Bert.
>
> So, that's a commonly held value in Smalltalk, i.e., privates
> should be severely limited if used at all? (I highly incline that
> way myself.)

Well, usually they are just put in a "private" category. Also, a
selector like like "setX:" indicates that this is not a generic
accessor, because that one would be "x:".

- Bert -

Re: Private metods as my*?

Blake-5
On Thu, 01 Mar 2007 17:21:44 -0800, Bert Freudenberg
<[hidden email]> wrote:

>>> There is also a private prefix that is even enforced by the compiler:
>>> "pvt". It will only allow to send this to "self". This should only be
>>> used in highly sensitive places, if at all.
>>
>> Thanks, Bert.
>>
>> So, that's a commonly held value in Smalltalk, i.e., privates should be
>> severely limited if used at all? (I highly incline that way myself.)
>
> Well, usually they are just put in a "private" category. Also, a
> selector like like "setX:" indicates that this is not a generic
> accessor, because that one would be "x:".

Right: I was referring more to the concept of scope. It's more a matter of
manners--or perhaps better, of being damn sure you know what you're doing,
versus being restricted by the environment. (Hence, less use of the "pvt"
prefix.)

Re: Private metods as my*?

David Mitchell-10
And note that the pvt prefix is Squeak specific.

I tried the my prefix for a while on instance variables, but not
methods(think Kent Beck's _Smalltalk Best Practice Patterns_ had a
section on it). I prefer method categories that group by intended use
(published, public, private, etc.)

One of the things I love about Smalltalk is the lack of access control.