Problem loading Magritte-Seaside

NorbertHartl
I started to build configurations for my current project but failed. Tracking it down I came to the point where Magritte-Seaside does not load.

I downloaded a fresh pharo 1.3 core image from the CI server (PharoCore-1.3.zip). Then I did the following steps:

Gofer new
squeaksource: 'MetacelloRepository';
package: 'ConfigurationOfMetacello';
load
ConfigurationOfMetacello project updateProject

Gofer new
squeaksource: 'MetacelloRepository';
package: 'ConfigurationOfMagritte2';
load

(ConfigurationOfMagritte2 project version: '2.0.6-baseline') load: 'Magritte-Seaside'

The error string is

'Could not resolve: Seaside-Core [Seaside-Core] in /Users/norbert/Downloads/PharoCore-1-2.3/package-cache cache'

I don't have enough knowledge of metacello to track it further down. However the a file seems to be there:

silverflux:~ norbert$ ls -l Downloads/PharoCore-1-2.3/package-cache/Seaside-*Core*
-rw-r--r--@ 1 norbert  staff  278185 30 Jun 14:20 Downloads/PharoCore-1-2.3/package-cache/Seaside-Core-pmm.716.mcz
-rw-r--r--@ 1 norbert  staff    5719 30 Jun 14:20 Downloads/PharoCore-1-2.3/package-cache/Seaside-Pharo-Core-pmm.12.mcz
-rw-r--r--@ 1 norbert  staff    7791 30 Jun 14:20 Downloads/PharoCore-1-2.3/package-cache/Seaside-Tools-Core-jf.18.mcz

The only thing I encountered are some disablePackageCache instructions on the way. But I really just don't know what is going wrong here.

Norbert

Re: Problem loading Magritte-Seaside

stephane ducasse-2
the disablePackageCache force MC to load from the server.
I hope that files were not lost!

stef

On Jun 30, 2011, at 2:27 PM, Norbert Hartl wrote:

> I started to build configurations for my current project but failed. Tracking it down I came to the point where Magritte-Seaside does not load.
>
> I downloaded a fresh pharo 1.3 core image from the CI server (PharoCore-1.3.zip). Then I did the following steps:
>
> Gofer new
> squeaksource: 'MetacelloRepository';
> package: 'ConfigurationOfMetacello';
> load
>
> ConfigurationOfMetacello project updateProject
>
> Gofer new
> squeaksource: 'MetacelloRepository';
> package: 'ConfigurationOfMagritte2';
> load
>
> (ConfigurationOfMagritte2 project version: '2.0.6-baseline') load: 'Magritte-Seaside'
>
> The error string is
>
> 'Could not resolve: Seaside-Core [Seaside-Core] in /Users/norbert/Downloads/PharoCore-1-2.3/package-cache cache'
>
> I don't have enough knowledge of metacello to track it further down. However the a file seems to be there:
>
> silverflux:~ norbert$ ls -l Downloads/PharoCore-1-2.3/package-cache/Seaside-*Core*
> -rw-r--r--@ 1 norbert  staff  278185 30 Jun 14:20 Downloads/PharoCore-1-2.3/package-cache/Seaside-Core-pmm.716.mcz
> -rw-r--r--@ 1 norbert  staff    5719 30 Jun 14:20 Downloads/PharoCore-1-2.3/package-cache/Seaside-Pharo-Core-pmm.12.mcz
> -rw-r--r--@ 1 norbert  staff    7791 30 Jun 14:20 Downloads/PharoCore-1-2.3/package-cache/Seaside-Tools-Core-jf.18.mcz
>
> The only thing I encountered are some disablePackageCache instructions on the way. But I really just don't know what is going wrong here.
>
> Norbert

Re: Problem loading Magritte-Seaside

Dale Henrichs
Norbert,

What is suspicious is that the message is claiming that it could not resolve 'Seaside-Core' and while it appears to be true that there are Seaside-Core mcz files in your package cache but there is no 'Seaside-Core.mcz' file in your package-cache ...

So the question becomes: Why does Metacello want to load 'Seaside-Core' and not an explicit version of 'Seaside-Core'?

As I look closer, I see that you are loading the version '2.0.6-baseline' of Magritte, which means that you are trying to load the "latest versions" of all mcz files ... you do realize that when you load the bleeding edge version of project that you are likely to run into all sorts of trouble ... not finding 'Seaside-Core' is not one of the troubles I would expect....but that's another issue.

When Metacello resolves the "latest version" of a package, it explicitly ignores the package-cache and attempts to find the latest version in the repository (or repositories) associated with the package, so I am wondering if perhaps SqueakSource failed to provide a package list for the Seaside30 repository (which occasionally happens) and Metacello didn't throw an error soon enough?

I would like to see the information from the Transcript from the session since there is information in the Transcript that would give me a clue as to what might have happened. Failing that I would be interested in see the printit of:

(ConfigurationOfMagritte2 project version: '2.0.6-baseline') record: 'Magritte-Seaside'

As that may provide useful information.

Dale