Problem printing from Workspace to Transcript

Problem printing from Workspace to Transcript

Harry Mueller
I've just started looking at Squeak and can't seem to print to Transcript. I'm wondering if I'm doing it properly.

I've written,  Transcript show: 'Hello world!'   into the Workspace window but nothing shows up in the open Transcript window.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks, Harry

Re: Problem printing from Workspace to Transcript

Christopher Sawtell
On Saturday 20 January 2007 04:08, Harry Mueller wrote:
> I've just started looking at Squeak and can't seem to print to
> Transcript. I'm wondering if I'm doing it properly.
>
> I've written,  Transcript show: 'Hello world!'   into the Workspace
> window but nothing shows up in the open Transcript window.
>
> What am I doing wrong?
You probably need a cr in to get the output buffer flushed.
vis:
Transcript show: 'Hello world!'; cr.

Re: Problem printing from Workspace to Transcript

Brad Fuller-3
Harry Mueller wrote:
> I've just started looking at Squeak and can't seem to print to
> Transcript. I'm wondering if I'm doing it properly.
>
> I've written,  Transcript show: 'Hello world!'   into the Workspace
> window but nothing shows up in the open Transcript window.

This might sound stupid, but did you execute the expression, also known
as "do it"?

place the cursor on the line of "Transcript show: 'Hello world!'"
and press Ctl+d.

> What am I doing wrong?
>
> Thanks, Harry

brad fuller
www.bradfuller.com

RE: Problem printing from Workspace to Transcript

Mark Bailey-5
I just downloaded the latest version for Macintosh OS X and tried it. No problem.

RE: Problem printing from Workspace to Transcript

Mark Bailey-5
I did a simple loop, too, and it worked. I forgot to add the 'cr' message (I don't use the Transcript that much lately) and it still worked.

#( 1 2 3 4 5 ) do: [ :each | Transcript show: each. ]

I get '12345' in the Transcript window.

You probably need a cr in to get the output buffer flushed.
vis:
Transcript show: 'Hello world!'; cr.

RE: Problem printing from Workspace to Transcript

Mark Bailey-5
Oops, the block should be [ :each | Transcript show: each asString ]. I was replying from memory - a very bad habit of mine.

Best of luck.