Problem while loading Bootstrap for Seaside inside Gemstone

Problem while loading Bootstrap for Seaside inside Gemstone

draq88
Hello!

I have a Pharo+Seaside webapp working ok with Bootstrap for Seaside (http://smalltalkhub.com/#!/~TorstenBergmann/Bootstrap, amazing package BTW, great job!) and I would like it to migrate to gemstone/glass environment.

I have successfully installed gemstone server with gemtools (v 1.0-beta.8.7) GLASS (v 1.0-beta.9.2) and seaside (I think it is 3.1.3.1). I am able to run the example apps and very simple hello world applications made by me as well but I really need to use the twitter bootstrap components made by Torsten et al. The problem I am having is that I cannot install the package via Gofer in the same way I did from Pharo.

I tried this in glass' workspace

Gofer new
    url: 'http://smalltalkhub.com/mc/TorstenBergmann/Bootstrap/main';
    package: 'ConfigurationOfBootstrap';
    load.

(Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfBootstrap) project stableVersion load

And then debugger popped up saying: "A MetacelloPackageSpecResolutionError ocurred (error 2710) Could not resolve ConfigurationOfSeaside3 in cache http://www.smalltalkhub.com/mc/Seaside/MetacelloConfigurations/main

How can I solve this? It might be a simple question but I have little experience with Pharo and much less with Gemstone/GLASS so everything will be appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

Re: [Glass] Problem while loading Bootstrap for Seaside inside Gemstone

GLASS mailing list
There is a configuration error in ConfigurationOfBootstrap in baseline0130: the line:

            className: #'ConfigurationOfSeaside3';

should be:

            className: 'ConfigurationOfSeaside3';

It looks like this problem was introduced in version 0.11 ... I'll send a note to Torsten and ask him to update his configuration ...

In the mean time you can edit the configuration in your image and fix the problem.

Dale

Re: [Glass] Problem while loading Bootstrap for Seaside inside Gemstone

draq88
Excuse me for the lack of expertise in thie subject. How can I made that change possible?

Thanks!

Re: [Glass] Problem while loading Bootstrap for Seaside inside Gemstone

GLASS mailing list
Fixed in version 58

On Dec 8, 2014, at 23:23 , Dale Henrichs via Glass wrote:

> There is a configuration error in ConfigurationOfBootstrap in baseline0130: the line:
>
>             className: #'ConfigurationOfSeaside3';
>
> should be:
>
>             className: 'ConfigurationOfSeaside3';
>

> It looks like this problem was introduced in version 0.11 ... I'll send a note to Torsten and ask him to update his configuration ...
>
> In the mean time you can edit the configuration in your image and fix the problem.
>
> Dale

Re: [Glass] Problem while loading Bootstrap for Seaside inside Gemstone

GLASS mailing list
Thanks Stephan!

On Mon, Dec 8, 2014 at 3:03 PM, Stephan Eggermont <[hidden email]> wrote:
Fixed in version 58

On Dec 8, 2014, at 23:23 , Dale Henrichs via Glass wrote:

> There is a configuration error in ConfigurationOfBootstrap in baseline0130: the line:
>
>             className: #'ConfigurationOfSeaside3';
>
> should be:
>
>             className: 'ConfigurationOfSeaside3';
>

> It looks like this problem was introduced in version 0.11 ... I'll send a note to Torsten and ask him to update his configuration ...
>
> In the mean time you can edit the configuration in your image and fix the problem.
>
> Dale

Re: [Glass] Problem while loading Bootstrap for Seaside inside Gemstone

draq88
Thanks for the quick fix.

I have some issues though. It seems that I could past forward that error but I get another one very similar to the one I posted with another package/library.

Transcript shows:
Project: Gettext-Project[1.3.1]
..RETRY->Gettext
..RETRY->Gettext
..FAILED->Gettext

and then the debugger pops-up with an error message similar to the one I posted earlier IIRC.

I can confirm that the libraries related to bootstrap do not appear in the seaside config tab so that they can be plugged to my app.

Any ideas? Thanks!

Re: [Glass] Problem while loading Bootstrap for Seaside inside Gemstone

GLASS mailing list

On Mon, Dec 8, 2014 at 9:33 PM, Mariano Martinez Peck <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hola Juan,

I had some similar problems in the past when loading Bootstrap... not the same as yours..in my case it was because Bootstrap always tried to load a different version of Seaside of the one I wanted to load... and it was a bit complicated to workaround that with Metacello. So what I ended up doing (AS A WORKAROUND) is to simply get the 'Core' package from the Bootstrap repo:

Gofer new
    url: 'http://smalltalkhub.com/mc/TorstenBergmann/Bootstrap/main';
    package: 'Bootstrap-Core';
    load.

But you must to explicitly load seaside before...

Cheers,

On Mon, Dec 8, 2014 at 9:20 PM, draq88 via Glass <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thanks for the quick fix.

I have some issues though. It seems that I could past forward that error but
I get another one very similar to the one I posted with another
package/library.

Transcript shows:
Project: Gettext-Project[1.3.1]
..RETRY->Gettext
..RETRY->Gettext
..FAILED->Gettext

and then the debugger pops-up with an error message similar to the one I
posted earlier IIRC.

I can confirm that the libraries related to bootstrap do not appear in the
seaside config tab so that they can be plugged to my app.

Any ideas? Thanks!

Re: [Glass] Problem while loading Bootstrap for Seaside inside Gemstone

draq88
Thanks for the quick reply Mariano!

When you say "But you must to explicitly load seaside before..." what does it mean and how can I get to do that? And do yo know which would be the impact of doing such thing? It worked just fine in Pharo and I don't want to wreck everything we did in the past few months :P

 I am not an expert of Smalltalk and sometimes I get lost with implementation details, haha!

Re: [Glass] Problem while loading Bootstrap for Seaside inside Gemstone

GLASS mailing list
This is looking like another configuration problem ... this time in the ConfigurationOfGettext. Versions of Gettext prior to 1.4 will not properly load into GemStone (getting the error that you are seeing .. and you appear to be loading 1.3.1) ...

The #stable version for Gettext and gemstone is 1.6 and at the moment I'm not sure why the wrong version of Gettext is being loaded ...

Dale

On Mon, Dec 8, 2014 at 4:32 PM, draq88 via Glass <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thanks for the quick reply Mariano!

When you say "But you must to explicitly load seaside before..." what does it mean and how can I get to do that? And do yo know which would be the impact of doing such thing? It worked just fine in Pharo and I don't want to wreck everything we did in the past few months :P

 I am not an expert of Smalltalk and sometimes I get lost with implementation details, haha!

Sent from the GLASS mailing list archive at Nabble.com.

Re: [Glass] Problem while loading Bootstrap for Seaside inside Gemstone

GLASS mailing list
Version 1.3.1 of Gettext is being loaded because the baseline of Seaside that Bootstrap loads does not specify an explicit version for Gettext which causes the "latest version" of Gettext to be loaded which turns out to be 1.3.1 (the other versions are blessed as #development and do not count in "latest version" calculation) ...

Now that I understand this, I have an idea that may work (which at the end of the day is what Mariano suggested:) ... but I will supply you with the magical load/metacello incantation that will make this work:)

Dale

On Mon, Dec 8, 2014 at 5:17 PM, Dale Henrichs <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

this should get things loaded correctly:

  Gofer new
    package: 'GsUpgrader-Core';
    url: 'http://ss3.gemtalksystems.com/ss/gsUpgrader';
    load.
  (Smalltalk at: #'GsUpgrader') upgradeGrease.

   GsDeployer
    deploy: [
      Metacello new
        baseline: 'Seaside3';
        repository: 'github://GsDevKit/Seaside31:v3.1.3.1-gs/repository';
        lock.
      Metacello new
        configuration: 'Bootstrap';
        repository: 'http://smalltalkhub.com/mc/TorstenBergmann/Bootstrap/main';
        version: #'stable';
        load ]

In general, for GemStone, the old-style Gofer-based load expressions should be replaced by the Metacello load expressions above.

So the following:

  Gofer new
    url: 'http://smalltalkhub.com/mc/TorstenBergmann/Bootstrap/main';
    package: 'ConfigurationOfBootstrap';
    load.
  (Smalltalk at: #'ConfigurationOfBootstrap') project stableVersion load

should be translated to:

  Metacello new
        configuration: 'Bootstrap';
        repository: 'http://smalltalkhub.com/mc/TorstenBergmann/Bootstrap/main';
        version: #'stable';
        load.

The lock command for Seaside3 is being used because Bootstrap wants to load verson 3.1.3 of Seaside and for Gettext to load correctly in GemStone we need to use 3.1.3.1.

The upgradeGrease package is being loaded first, in order to make sure that you are using the proper versions of Metacello and Grease for the load of Seaside as Seaside requires a very recent version of Metacello and Grease...

Dale

On Mon, Dec 8, 2014 at 5:34 PM, Dale Henrichs <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

I did what you wrote in the last post  and I'm still having some issues.

An error is raised after the GsDeployer that says: "a metacelloConflictingProjectError ocurred (error 2710), Load Conflict between existing BaselineOfZincHttpComponents [baseline] from github://GsDevKit/zinc:2.4.3/repository and ConfigurationOfZincHttpComponents stable from http://mc.stfx.eu/ZincHttpComponents".

I did something very similar this the first time I installed Seaside with the GsDeployer.

We have been to told to use that version of the repository and I made it work somehow with the example apps. I don't know if that provoked the conflict.

Re: [Glass] Problem while loading Bootstrap for Seaside inside Gemstone

GLASS mailing list
Ah conflicts, so you had zinc already loaded. ... add an onConflictUseIncoming clause:

Gofer new
    package: 'GsUpgrader-Core';
    url: 'http://ss3.gemtalksystems.com/ss/gsUpgrader';
    load.
  (Smalltalk at: #'GsUpgrader') upgradeGrease.

   GsDeployer
    deploy: [
      Metacello new
        baseline: 'Seaside3';
        repository: 'github://GsDevKit/Seaside31:v3.1.3.1-gs/repository';
        lock.
      Metacello new
        configuration: 'Bootstrap';
        repository: 'http://smalltalkhub.com/mc/TorstenBergmann/Bootstrap/main';
        onConflictUseIncoming;
        version: #'stable';
        load ]

All conflicts will be resolved by loading in the incoming/new version of the project.

See the Convlicts section of the Metacello Users Guide[1] for additional options.

Dale

On Mon, Dec 8, 2014 at 6:51 PM, draq88 via Glass <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Still having issues with this though I think I'm getting closer...

Ran last command and got a debugger saying "a UserDefinedError ocurred (error 2318) (...) Name not found: Core"

And last line in the transcript says "Project: Gettext-Project".

Any ideas? Thx!

Re: [Glass] Problem while loading Bootstrap for Seaside inside Gemstone

draq88
Dale,

I was able to load Bootstrap packages with Seaside mixing the last two commands you sent me. Don't know if it is correct but it works so far. I just wanted to let you know the progress I did. Hope it's okay and I'm not messing things up more haha.

The one thing that is strange is that, maybe because I had code in my project that was not compatible with gemstone's smalltalk (there were a few differences with the Pharo version of the project that after reviewing my tests I was able to fix so far), sometimes and I repeat I think due to programming errors, seaside/adaptors seem to crash. I am not able to access my app which is expected since it had errors but access to localhost:5858 (that is where I have GsSwazooAdapter listening to) is refused. Same as if you tried to open an external URL and you don't have access. At least that's the impression I get. Same happened to Zinc adaptor after a few F5 pushes.

On Wed, Dec 10, 2014 at 12:13 AM, draq88 via Glass <[hidden email]> wrote:
Dale,

I was able to load Bootstrap packages with Seaside mixing the last two
commands you sent me. Don't know if it is correct but it works so far. I
just wanted to let you know the progress I did. Hope it's okay and I'm not
messing things up more haha.

I think that Metacello is pretty good about loading things "correctly" no matter how many retires it takes when using the `Metacello new` form.

[...]

If you look in the log files for the  adaptors you should see stack traces that should give you an idea about what is happening ... Also, stack traces should be dumped to the object log as a continuation and you can debug the continuation from the object log ... However, if the job is crashing it is possible that the error is not being dumped to the object log and you will have to resort to looking at the gem log ...

Swazoo and Zinc still have a couple of issues under certain error conditions. Moving forward I recommend using Zinc.

I have been doing work recently in Zinc and I think I've made things a bit more solid with respect to error handling and debugging, but my work isn't quite ready for release ... I've asked a few folks to help me review the changes ....

If you need help with the stacks in the log files, go ahead and send mail with the log files attached or the stack in question in the body of the email and I'll see if I can help...

Dale