Problem with Croquet from New User

Glenn Lucchi
Hello. In my creative process class at Montclair State University we have begun to use the Croquet program. However, much to our dismay, about half of our class is not able to have any working instance.

I have downloaded this instance of croquet:http://croquetconsortium.org/downloads/Croquet_SDK_v1.0.18.zip

After extracting the file and having it interact with Squeak, I tried to follow the instructions. I click the "first steps" project and, reading the instructions, attempt to pull out a "demo ( master)" world.
Upon doing so, I received the following error message: ""WARNING: SECURITY PROBLEM DETECTED!
This platform (Win32) appears to have no good source of entropy available. Since this DRAMATICALLY lowers the quality of encryption we recommend bugging the platform maintainer to work with the Croquet team to fix this problem."

Seeing as I have no experience in programming, I have no idea what that means so I click "OK".  The screen then fails to connect or create a world. I get an error message about 10 minutes later of letting it try to connect and it says ""MessageNotUnderstood: UndefinedObject >>outQueue"

So I need this program to work for class, and I have no idea what to accomplish. Any advice you can provide would be extremely useful. Thank you.
~Glenn.

Re: Problem with Croquet from New User

waufrepi III

Hi Glen,

    the Demo(master) is, I think a relic from old examples that the SDK provided. Try pulling out the Croquet(master) from the parts bin to play around a bit.

best,

wfpi

I have downloaded this instance of croquet:<a href="http://croquetconsortium.org/downloads/Croquet_SDK_v1.0.18.zip" target="_blank" onclick="return top.js.OpenExtLink(window,event,this)">http://croquetconsortium.org/downloads/Croquet_SDK_v1.0.18.zip

[...]

Peter Moore-5
Hi Glenn,

Do you have any non-Croquet Squeak VMs on your machine? If you are double-clicking the croquet image it is possible that it is trying to run the image using the wrong VM. You should never see that error message on Windows otherwise.

-Peter

On Apr 22, 2008, at 8:31 AM, Glenn Lucchi wrote:

[...]

Nikolay Suslov
Hello,

In my expérience, I had the same problem with the machine Windows2000 running on.
So, if you have no another machine to work (or reinstall to WinXP/Vista), I could show, where in code (several places) you need to place manualy random seeds for avoiding that error.

Regards,
Nikolay Suslov

On Tue, Apr 22, 2008 at 3:31 PM, Glenn Lucchi <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

On a Mac you can simply drag the .image file onto whatever VM you want to use. I think this works on Windows too. It might also work to double click the VM (I believe it is named Croquet.exe in the bin directory) and select the image from a file list. I think there is also a .bat file that you can double click, but you might need to edit it to select the correct .image file.

I hope that helps.

-Peter

On Apr 22, 2008, at 10:42 AM, Glenn Lucchi wrote:

Hello Peter,

I do have the etoys.dev image. And I am double clicking the croquet image. Is there a way to bypass this and open Croquet with the correct VM and image without removing the other versions of squeak?

Thanks,
Glenn

On Tue, Apr 22, 2008 at 10:47 AM, Peter Moore <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Andreas.Raab
Yes, that's actually the preferred way to launch. You can simplify the
process by going into the Windows Explorer, right-click on Croquet.exe
to get the context menu, choose "copy" and then navigate to the location
of the image, right-click and choose "paste shortcut". This will create
a "Shortcut to Croquet.exe" and you can drag the image onto the shortcut
from now on. If you have multiple images and VMs this greatly simplifies
the workflow.

Cheers,
   - Andreas