Problem with Metacello a ConfigurationOfPharo

Problem with Metacello a ConfigurationOfPharo

Mariano Martinez Peck
Hi Dale, I have a problem and I don't understand why.

I took a PharoCore 11386. I evaluated:

Gofer new
    squeaksource: 'MetacelloRepository';
    package: 'ConfigurationOfPharo';
    load.

((Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfPharo) project version: '1.1-beta2.11386') load

And while loading, it says there is an error with the menu registration for Shout. I realised it was using an OLD version of shout and an old version of the metacello conf (1.0 instead of 1.1). At that moment, I print

(Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfPharo) project currentVersion >=1.0-rc4.10517 [ConfigurationOfPharo]

WTF?  I told 1.1-beta2.11386 but then it is loading 1.0-rc4.10517  mmmm  Did I do something wrong?   I guess so.

I also debug it and saw the policy to see the instVar loadDirective but I didn't find anything related to 1.0-rc4.10517

Any quotes?

Thanks

Mariano

Re: Problem with Metacello a ConfigurationOfPharo

Mariano Martinez Peck
Now I take a PharoCore 11386 evaluate

(ConfigurationOfPharo project version: '1.1-beta2.11386') load

and after loading, I evaluate:

ConfigurationOfPharo project currentVersion >=1.0-rc2.10508 [ConfigurationOfPharo]

wierd...

thanks

mariano

On Sun, Jun 6, 2010 at 8:07 PM, Mariano Martinez Peck <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Mariano

Re: Problem with Metacello a ConfigurationOfPharo

Dale Henrichs
Mariano,

I will look into it and see what's up.

Dale

Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:

> Now I take a PharoCore 11386 evaluate
>

> (ConfigurationOfPharo project version: '1.1-beta2.11386') load
>
> and after loading, I evaluate:
>
> ConfigurationOfPharo project currentVersion >=1.0-rc2.10508 [ConfigurationOfPharo]
>
> wierd...
>
> thanks
>
> mariano
>
> On Sun, Jun 6, 2010 at 8:07 PM, Mariano Martinez Peck <[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
> Hi Dale, I have a problem and I don't understand why.
>
> I took a PharoCore 11386. I evaluated:
>
> Gofer new
>     squeaksource: 'MetacelloRepository';
>     package: 'ConfigurationOfPharo';
>     load.
>
> ((Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfPharo) project version: '1.1-beta2.11386') load
>

> And while loading, it says there is an error with the menu registration for Shout. I realised it was using an OLD version of shout and an old version of the metacello conf (1.0 instead of 1.1). At that moment, I print
>
> (Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfPharo) project currentVersion >=1.0-rc4.10517 [ConfigurationOfPharo]
>
> WTF?  I told 1.1-beta2.11386 but then it is loading 1.0-rc4.10517  mmmm  Did I do something wrong?   I guess so.
>
> I also debug it and saw the policy to see the instVar loadDirective but I didn't find anything related to 1.0-rc4.10517
>
> Any quotes?
>
> Thanks
>
> Mariano

Re: Problem with Metacello a ConfigurationOfPharo

Dale Henrichs
Mariano,

This is a Metacello bug ... the root cause (at least in part) is that
the wrong mcz file for BogusInfo is being loaded. BogusInfo happens to
have Monticello dependencies and that looks like where Metacello is not
quite behaving correctly.

I guess the good news is that except for that one package, everything
was loaded correctly and that 1 package was enough to cause several of
the project versions to be calculated incorrectly ... an mcz file that
has an earlier version will drag the version of the project back with it

I am taking off this afternoon, but I'll continue working on this tomorrow.

Dale

Dale Henrichs wrote:

> Mariano,
>
> I will look into it and see what's up.
>
> Dale
>
> Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:
>> Now I take a PharoCore 11386 evaluate
>>

>> (ConfigurationOfPharo project version: '1.1-beta2.11386') load
>>
>> and after loading, I evaluate:
>>
>> ConfigurationOfPharo project currentVersion >=1.0-rc2.10508 [ConfigurationOfPharo]
>>
>> wierd...
>>
>> thanks
>>
>> mariano
>>
>> On Sun, Jun 6, 2010 at 8:07 PM, Mariano Martinez Peck <[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>> Hi Dale, I have a problem and I don't understand why.
>>
>> I took a PharoCore 11386. I evaluated:
>>
>> Gofer new
>>     squeaksource: 'MetacelloRepository';
>>     package: 'ConfigurationOfPharo';
>>     load.
>>
>> ((Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfPharo) project version: '1.1-beta2.11386') load
>>

>> And while loading, it says there is an error with the menu registration for Shout. I realised it was using an OLD version of shout and an old version of the metacello conf (1.0 instead of 1.1). At that moment, I print
>>
>> (Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfPharo) project currentVersion >=1.0-rc4.10517 [ConfigurationOfPharo]
>>
>> WTF?  I told 1.1-beta2.11386 but then it is loading 1.0-rc4.10517  mmmm  Did I do something wrong?   I guess so.
>>
>> I also debug it and saw the policy to see the instVar loadDirective but I didn't find anything related to 1.0-rc4.10517
>>
>> Any quotes?
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Mariano

Re: Problem with Metacello a ConfigurationOfPharo

Dale Henrichs
See Issue 81: http://code.google.com/p/metacello/issues/detail?id=81 for
a little more detail on the bug (I've got a possible fix that I'm
testing ... still will need a test case too)...

Dale

Dale Henrichs wrote:

> Mariano,
>
> This is a Metacello bug ... the root cause (at least in part) is that
> the wrong mcz file for BogusInfo is being loaded. BogusInfo happens to
> have Monticello dependencies and that looks like where Metacello is not
> quite behaving correctly.
>
> I guess the good news is that except for that one package, everything
> was loaded correctly and that 1 package was enough to cause several of
> the project versions to be calculated incorrectly ... an mcz file that
> has an earlier version will drag the version of the project back with it
>
> I am taking off this afternoon, but I'll continue working on this tomorrow.
>
> Dale
>
> Dale Henrichs wrote:
>> Mariano,
>>
>> I will look into it and see what's up.
>>
>> Dale
>>
>> Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:
>>> Now I take a PharoCore 11386 evaluate
>>>

>>> (ConfigurationOfPharo project version: '1.1-beta2.11386') load
>>>
>>> and after loading, I evaluate:
>>>
>>> ConfigurationOfPharo project currentVersion >=1.0-rc2.10508 [ConfigurationOfPharo]
>>>
>>> wierd...
>>>
>>> thanks
>>>
>>> mariano
>>>
>>> On Sun, Jun 6, 2010 at 8:07 PM, Mariano Martinez Peck <[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>>> Hi Dale, I have a problem and I don't understand why.
>>>
>>> I took a PharoCore 11386. I evaluated:
>>>
>>> Gofer new
>>>     squeaksource: 'MetacelloRepository';
>>>     package: 'ConfigurationOfPharo';
>>>     load.
>>>
>>> ((Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfPharo) project version: '1.1-beta2.11386') load
>>>

>>> And while loading, it says there is an error with the menu registration for Shout. I realised it was using an OLD version of shout and an old version of the metacello conf (1.0 instead of 1.1). At that moment, I print
>>>
>>> (Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfPharo) project currentVersion >=1.0-rc4.10517 [ConfigurationOfPharo]
>>>
>>> WTF?  I told 1.1-beta2.11386 but then it is loading 1.0-rc4.10517  mmmm  Did I do something wrong?   I guess so.
>>>
>>> I also debug it and saw the policy to see the instVar loadDirective but I didn't find anything related to 1.0-rc4.10517
>>>
>>> Any quotes?
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>>
>>> Mariano

Re: Problem with Metacello a ConfigurationOfPharo

Mariano Martinez Peck
Dale, another thing I don't understand is why it happened now and not before? I changed something I am not aware?

I don't understand too much the problem neither what you said about BogusInfo, but it doesn't matter.

ConfigurationOfOmniBrowser project currentVersion >=1.1.3 [ConfigurationOfOmniBrowser]

when it should be 1.1.4, the same problem as ConfigurationOfPharo.

Thanks in advance,

Mariano

Dale Henrichs wrote:
[...]

That depends upon your definition of 'before' ... the bug occurred when
the older version of BogusInfo incorrectly shadowed the newer version of
BogusInfo which could have occurred for a couple of different reasons:

   1. the new version of BogusInfo was introduced since the last time you
      did a load.
   2. a change to one or more of the configs (used by the Pharo config
      and not changed directly by you) caused the ordering to change
      exposing the bug.
   3. the last time you ran the test, you didn't look at the
      currentVersion:)

I'm dealing with some family issues at the moment and haven't been able
to spend as much time as I'd like following up on this problem...but it
is second (or third) on my current list:)