Problem with Mongo on Pharo5 ("collection already exists")

Problem with Mongo on Pharo5 ("collection already exists")

Sabine Manaa
Hi,

Is anyone already running Pharo5 with mongoDB already?

I reduced the problem to the following steps for reproduction:
1) start Pharo5 and install VoyageMongo from the ProjectCatalog
2) tools-> mongo Browser -> I see that I have connection to my database -ok
3) (VOMongoRepository host: 'localhost' database: self databaseName) enableSingleton.
4) load ONLY my model classes which includes e.g. RKASystemMessage - load nothing else
5) Then I do  RKASystemMessage selectAll (there is ONE system message in the mongo database) ==> this results in a non-responding image.
6) when debugging into the selectAll, I see, that VoyageMongo tries to add a collection (systemMessage), which is already there.

in VOMongoRepositoryResolver>>collectionAt: aClass inDatabase: db
the collections attribute is empty -> this seems to be the problem
beause then it tries to do db addCollection: collectionName
which leads to a "collection already exists" mongo reply

If you have a mongo database running, you should be able to reproduce the problem.

Regards
Sabine

Re: Problem with Mongo on Pharo5 ("collection already exists")

EstebanLM
problem is not in Pharo 5 but in latest version of MongoTalk (who is loaded with Pharo 5 and apparently not with Pharo 4).
I already submitted a fix for it, but you need to load latest version (still no configuration).

Esteban

> On 25 May 2016, at 12:18, Sabine Manaa <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> Is anyone already running Pharo5 with mongoDB already?

> mongDB.
>
> I reduced the problem to the following steps for reproduction:
> 1) start Pharo5 and install VoyageMongo from the ProjectCatalog
> 2) tools-> mongo Browser -> I see that I have connection to my database -ok
> 3) (VOMongoRepository host: 'localhost' database: self databaseName)
> enableSingleton.
> 4) load ONLY my model classes which includes e.g. RKASystemMessage - load
> nothing else
> 5) Then I do  RKASystemMessage selectAll (there is ONE system message in the
> mongo database) ==> this results in a non-responding image.
> 6) when debugging into the selectAll, I see, that VoyageMongo tries to add a
> collection (systemMessage), which is already there.
>
> in VOMongoRepositoryResolver>>collectionAt: aClass inDatabase: db
> the collections attribute is empty -> this seems to be the problem
> beause then it tries to do db addCollection: collectionName
> which leads to a "collection already exists" mongo reply
>
> If you have a mongo database running, you should be able to reproduce the
> problem.
>
> Regards
> Sabine

Re: Problem with Mongo on Pharo5 ("collection already exists")

Sabine Manaa
Hi Esteban,

can you please have a look again, I think you forgot to remove the signal here
 (remove signal in the ifTrue case then it works):

addCollection: aString capped: aCapped size: aSize max: aMax
| command |
command := SmallDictionary new.
command at: 'create' put: aString.
aCapped ifTrue: [
command at: 'capped' put: true.
aSize ifNotNil: [command at: 'size' put: aSize].
aMax ifNotNil: [command at: 'max' put: aMax]].
[ self command: command ]
on: MongoCommandError
do: [ :error |
"Tolerate error 48: collection already exists"
error isCollectionAlreadyExists
==>> ifTrue: [ (MongoCollectionAlreadyExists new collectionName: aString) "signal" ] <<==
ifFalse: [ error signal ] ].
^MongoCollection database: self name: aString

On 25 May 2016, at 15:35, Sabine Manaa <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi Esteban,

can you please have a look again, I think you forgot to remove the signal here
 (remove signal in the ifTrue case then it works):

No I don’t… in part because is not me who make that code, but also because it is expected: after, you have:

getCollection: aString
^ [ self addCollection: aString capped: false size: nil max: nil ]
on: MongoCollectionAlreadyExists
do: [ :err |
MongoCollection database: self name: aString ]

so the idea is to refine the error to separate MongoCollectionAlreadyExists so it can later be catch and handled properly.

cheers,
Esteban

addCollection: aString capped: aCapped size: aSize max: aMax
| command |
command := SmallDictionary new.
command at: 'create' put: aString.
aCapped ifTrue: [
command at: 'capped' put: true.
aSize ifNotNil: [command at: 'size' put: aSize].
aMax ifNotNil: [command at: 'max' put: aMax]].
[ self command: command ]
on: MongoCommandError
do: [ :error |
"Tolerate error 48: collection already exists"
error isCollectionAlreadyExists
==>> ifTrue: [ (MongoCollectionAlreadyExists new collectionName: aString) "signal" ] <<==
ifFalse: [ error signal ] ].
^MongoCollection database: self name: aString

problem is not in Pharo 5 but in latest version of MongoTalk (who is loaded with Pharo 5 and apparently not with Pharo 4).
I already submitted a fix for it, but you need to load latest version (still no configuration).

Esteban

> On 25 May 2016, at 12:18, Sabine Manaa <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> Is anyone already running Pharo5 with mongoDB already?

> mongDB.
>
> I reduced the problem to the following steps for reproduction:
> 1) start Pharo5 and install VoyageMongo from the ProjectCatalog
> 2) tools-> mongo Browser -> I see that I have connection to my database -ok
> 3) (VOMongoRepository host: 'localhost' database: self databaseName)
> enableSingleton.
> 4) load ONLY my model classes which includes e.g. RKASystemMessage - load
> nothing else
> 5) Then I do  RKASystemMessage selectAll (there is ONE system message in the
> mongo database) ==> this results in a non-responding image.
> 6) when debugging into the selectAll, I see, that VoyageMongo tries to add a
> collection (systemMessage), which is already there.
>
> in VOMongoRepositoryResolver>>collectionAt: aClass inDatabase: db
> the collections attribute is empty -> this seems to be the problem
> beause then it tries to do db addCollection: collectionName
> which leads to a "collection already exists" mongo reply
>
> If you have a mongo database running, you should be able to reproduce the
> problem.
>
> Regards
> Sabine

Re: Problem with Mongo on Pharo5 ("collection already exists")

Holger Freyther

> On 25 May 2016, at 15:42, Esteban Lorenzano <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi,

> No I don’t… in part because is not me who make that code, but also because it is expected: after, you have:
>
> getCollection: aString
> ^ [ self addCollection: aString capped: false size: nil max: nil ]
> on: MongoCollectionAlreadyExists
> do: [ :err |
> MongoCollection database: self name: aString ]
>
> so the idea is to refine the error to separate MongoCollectionAlreadyExists so it can later be catch and handled properly.

when adding capped collection support it seemed like a good idea to fail if a collection already exists that might not be capped, but given the follow up issues I wonder if I/we should restore the original behavior that just ignored all errors?

holger

Re: Problem with Mongo on Pharo5 ("collection already exists")

Sabine Manaa
I have a non-responding image with the original code (with the signal)

> On 25 May 2016, at 15:42, Esteban Lorenzano <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi,

> No I don’t… in part because is not me who make that code, but also because it is expected: after, you have:
>
> getCollection: aString
> ^ [ self addCollection: aString capped: false size: nil max: nil ]
> on: MongoCollectionAlreadyExists
> do: [ :err |
> MongoCollection database: self name: aString ]
>
> so the idea is to refine the error to separate MongoCollectionAlreadyExists so it can later be catch and handled properly.

when adding capped collection support it seemed like a good idea to fail if a collection already exists that might not be capped, but given the follow up issues I wonder if I/we should restore the original behavior that just ignored all errors?

holger

http://forum.world.st/Problem-with-Mongo-on-Pharo5-collection-already-exists-tp4897315p4897346.html
To start a new topic under Pharo Smalltalk Users, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from Pharo Smalltalk Users, click here.
NAML

Re: Problem with Mongo on Pharo5 ("collection already exists")

Sabine Manaa
note that it only occurs (hanging image)  if you do
"VORepository current reset"
before. Or have a new Image.

I have a non-responding image with the original code (with the signal)

> On 25 May 2016, at 15:42, Esteban Lorenzano <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi,

> No I don’t… in part because is not me who make that code, but also because it is expected: after, you have:
>
> getCollection: aString
> ^ [ self addCollection: aString capped: false size: nil max: nil ]
> on: MongoCollectionAlreadyExists
> do: [ :err |
> MongoCollection database: self name: aString ]
>
> so the idea is to refine the error to separate MongoCollectionAlreadyExists so it can later be catch and handled properly.

when adding capped collection support it seemed like a good idea to fail if a collection already exists that might not be capped, but given the follow up issues I wonder if I/we should restore the original behavior that just ignored all errors?

holger

http://forum.world.st/Problem-with-Mongo-on-Pharo5-collection-already-exists-tp4897315p4897346.html
To start a new topic under Pharo Smalltalk Users, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from Pharo Smalltalk Users, click here.
NAML

Re: Problem with Mongo on Pharo5 ("collection already exists")

EstebanLM
hi Sabine,

please update to latest packages of Voyage… there was a de-sync problem with the API change in MongoTalk, that *should* fix your issue.

cheers,
Esteban

On 25 May 2016, at 16:29, Sabine Manaa <[hidden email]> wrote:

note that it only occurs (hanging image)  if you do
"VORepository current reset"
before. Or have a new Image.

I have a non-responding image with the original code (with the signal)

> On 25 May 2016, at 15:42, Esteban Lorenzano <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi,

> No I don’t… in part because is not me who make that code, but also because it is expected: after, you have:
>
> getCollection: aString
> ^ [ self addCollection: aString capped: false size: nil max: nil ]
> on: MongoCollectionAlreadyExists
> do: [ :err |
> MongoCollection database: self name: aString ]
>
> so the idea is to refine the error to separate MongoCollectionAlreadyExists so it can later be catch and handled properly.

when adding capped collection support it seemed like a good idea to fail if a collection already exists that might not be capped, but given the follow up issues I wonder if I/we should restore the original behavior that just ignored all errors?

holger

http://forum.world.st/Problem-with-Mongo-on-Pharo5-collection-already-exists-tp4897315p4897346.html
To start a new topic under Pharo Smalltalk Users, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from Pharo Smalltalk Users, click here.
NAML

Re: Problem with Mongo on Pharo5 ("collection already exists")

Sabine Manaa
Hi Esteban,

great, now it works. Thank you!

In the comments, I see "merged with github". I am curious about using github in future, too.

Regards
Sabine

http://forum.world.st/Problem-with-Mongo-on-Pharo5-collection-already-exists-tp4897315p4897378.html
NAML

Re: Problem with Mongo on Pharo5 ("collection already exists")

EstebanLM
Hi,

yes, I recommend you to use the github version, we are moving there.
But anyway we are keeping the sthub as mirror… it just got de-sync. And the only reason why I needed the merge, and not a simple copy is because metadataless format got activated and I lost the history, so I rather merge to recover history in some way… :)

cheers!
Esteban

On 25 May 2016, at 21:23, Sabine Manaa <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi Esteban,

great, now it works. Thank you!

In the comments, I see "merged with github". I am curious about using github in future, too.

Regards
Sabine

2016-05-25 21:01 GMT+02:00 EstebanLM [via Smalltalk] <<a href="x-msg://138/user/SendEmail.jtp?type=node&amp;node=4897384&amp;i=0" target="_top" rel="nofollow" link="external" class="">[hidden email]>:
hi Sabine,

please update to latest packages of Voyage… there was a de-sync problem with the API change in MongoTalk, that *should* fix your issue.

cheers,
Esteban

On 25 May 2016, at 16:29, Sabine Manaa <[hidden email]> wrote:

note that it only occurs (hanging image)  if you do
"VORepository current reset"
before. Or have a new Image.

I have a non-responding image with the original code (with the signal)

> On 25 May 2016, at 15:42, Esteban Lorenzano <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi,

> No I don’t… in part because is not me who make that code, but also because it is expected: after, you have:
>
> getCollection: aString
> ^ [ self addCollection: aString capped: false size: nil max: nil ]
> on: MongoCollectionAlreadyExists
> do: [ :err |
> MongoCollection database: self name: aString ]
>
> so the idea is to refine the error to separate MongoCollectionAlreadyExists so it can later be catch and handled properly.

when adding capped collection support it seemed like a good idea to fail if a collection already exists that might not be capped, but given the follow up issues I wonder if I/we should restore the original behavior that just ignored all errors?

holger

http://forum.world.st/Problem-with-Mongo-on-Pharo5-collection-already-exists-tp4897315p4897346.html
To start a new topic under Pharo Smalltalk Users, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from Pharo Smalltalk Users, click here.
NAML

http://forum.world.st/Problem-with-Mongo-on-Pharo5-collection-already-exists-tp4897315p4897378.html
To start a new topic under Pharo Smalltalk Users, email <a href="x-msg://138/user/SendEmail.jtp?type=node&amp;node=4897384&amp;i=1" target="_top" rel="nofollow" link="external" class="">[hidden email]

Sent from the Pharo Smalltalk Users mailing list archive at Nabble.com.

Re: Problem with Mongo on Pharo5 ("collection already exists")

Sabine Manaa
Hi Esteban,

do you know a documentation/entry point about moving to github?
Is it in experimental state or recommended for all Pharo users?
How/where to start?

Regards
Sabine

http://forum.world.st/Problem-with-Mongo-on-Pharo5-collection-already-exists-tp4897315p4897394.html
To start a new topic under Pharo Smalltalk Users, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from Pharo Smalltalk Users, click here.
NAML

Re: Problem with Mongo on Pharo5 ("collection already exists")

stepharo

Le 25/5/16 à 21:57, Sabine Manaa a écrit :
Hi Esteban,

do you know a documentation/entry point about moving to github?
To manage on github there are some blog around. Now what we want to offer is something else:
We want to have one solution where you can publish using git (but that people can also use fossil or mercurial if they provide the right commands)
from within Pharo.
Is it in experimental state
experimental for the integrated pharo version
or recommended for all Pharo users?
we want to offer a solution for everybody with minimum pain.

How/where to start?

Regards
Sabine

> [...]

NAML

http://forum.world.st/Problem-with-Mongo-on-Pharo5-collection-already-exists-tp4897315p4897378.html
To start a new topic under Pharo Smalltalk Users, email <a href="x-msg://138/user/SendEmail.jtp?type=node&amp;node=4897384&amp;i=1" target="_top" rel="nofollow" link="external" class="">[hidden email]
To unsubscribe from Pharo Smalltalk Users, click here.
NAML

Sent from the Pharo Smalltalk Users mailing list archive at Nabble.com.

http://forum.world.st/Problem-with-Mongo-on-Pharo5-collection-already-exists-tp4897315p4897394.html
To start a new topic under Pharo Smalltalk Users, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from Pharo Smalltalk Users, click here.
NAML

Re: Problem with Mongo on Pharo5 ("collection already exists")

Hi Steph,

thank you for your explanation.
I was reading a little bit this morning about pharo and github.
I am looking forward to the solution you will provide in future and use sthub till then.

Regards
Sabine

Re: Problem with Mongo on Pharo5 ("collection already exists")

Peter Uhnak
Hi,

To manage on github there are some blog around

I wrote a guide for moving from SmalltalkHub to Github http://peteruhnak.com/blog/2016/03/02/moving-project-from-smalltalkhub-to-github/

now I am writing a bit more practical guide on how to use Git from Pharo… hopefully it will be done during weekend, I'm busy with other stuff atm.

Peter

Re: Problem with Mongo on Pharo5 ("collection already exists")

Sabine Manaa
Hi Peter,

thanks. But I will wait for next integration level.
I would like to try it but I have to organize my time strictly, so I have no time to play around so much ;-(

Regards
Sabine