Previous Topic Next Topic

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
48 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Problem with zinc 2.9.2

Max Leske

I did my best to reproduce the issue but didn't have any luck. I really need access to a Linux VM to debug this. So I'm praying that Apple fixes the access restrictions to kernel extensions in their next beta...

BTW, Metacello uses ZnClient, which uses ZnFileSystemUtils, so there is indeed a chance that something goes wrong during download of the zip archive and that something may be tied to a difference in the versions of Zinc (although I still think that's unlikely).

Cheers,
Max

On 9 Jul 2018, at 19:43, Norbert Hartl wrote:

Am 09.07.2018 um 19:10 schrieb Max Leske <[hidden email]>:

I checked the Parasol Archive and it does not appear to be in Zip64 format (Metacello uses ZipArchive which can't cope with Zip64 but ZipArchive can read the Parasol zip). So my next guess is that there's either a problem with Metacello or Pharo in the way that ZipArchive is used (e.g. endianness problem or non-binary stream data). It would therefore be helpful to find out what happens in ZipArchive>>readFrom:, i.e. what kind of stream is passed / opened, is it binary, does the file exist and is it still the correct file.

I couldn’t see anything obvious. The file in the debug message exists, it is a readable zip file. The way Metacello uses it it is a StandardFileStream. It switches it to binary in the code. 
But the only difference between a working and non-working build is the upgrade to zinc 2.9.2. 

Norbert

I'd debug it myself but I can't run VirtualBox at the moment because I'm on the macOS beta and it won't start...

Max

On 9 Jul 2018, at 18:31, Norbert Hartl wrote:

Hi Max,

Am 09.07.2018 um 18:18 schrieb Max Leske <[hidden email]>:

Hi Norbert,

This is a bit of a guess, but it's possible that the archive that is downloaded from github is in Zip64 format and that the libraries for extracting Zip64 are missing on your Linux. That would of course contradict the experience that the same operation appears to work in 6.1.

to be honest I don’t know what Zip64 format is. I thought the Zip classes are pure smalltalk for unpacking. 

Try extracting the archive manually on your Linux machine with the same method that Metacello uses (I assume, Metacello uses the ZipPlugin, which will probably use the system libraries).

I have no ZipPlugin as library in any of my vms. 

But there are zips downloaded and unpacked. I start the image the first time loading all the code of my project. Then it is saved, copied to a new name and reopened to load the tests and then it fails. I did try to load the tests in the first run and then it works. 

I’m running out of ideas 

thanks,

Norbert

Cheers,
Max

On 9 Jul 2018, at 17:14, Norbert Hartl wrote:

With the help of Esteban I got one step further. If I do 

MCWorkingCopy managersForClass: ZnFileSystemUtils do: [ :each | each ancestry initialize ]

before loading my project it updates Zinc-FileSystem as well. Sadly it still does not work for me because I get 

Loading baseline of BaselineOfMobilityMap...
...RETRY->BaselineOfParasol
...RETRY->BaselineOfParasolError: can't find EOCD position

and I don’t know why. zip file is downloaded from github and present but it fails and only on my jenkins on linux. On my Mac this works.

I try a few things but then I’m back on pharo6.1 for the time being :(

Norbert

Am 07.07.2018 um 13:28 schrieb Norbert Hartl <[hidden email]>:

Really? I thought the same but then I didn’t believe it works like that.

Anyway this would be very easy to solve. We just need to ask Sven if he is fine with doing an empty .16 version for Zinc-FileSystem and does an in-place version reset of 2.9.2 or a new 2.9.3. I’m not fully convinced that will solve it but the cost won’t be very high.

Norbert

Am 07.07.2018 um 13:22 schrieb Cyril Ferlicot <[hidden email]>:

Need to investigate more. There are two .15 versions but there is 1 year in between (if you didn’t notice TheIntegratior.15 is from 2017). Just want to have more context information because I can only see that this is strange but lacking insight.

I’m trying to figure out why it does not update Zinc-FileSystem. No matter what I do I cannot get Metacello to load the newer package. That would fix the issue because I’m loading 2.9.2 which should have Zinc-FileSystem-SVC.15 and not stay on the one included in the image.

I think this is important for everyone that has a product based on 6.1 and that want to migrate someday to pharo7. This way it is impossible to do it step by step.

If there is a package .15 in the image and a package .15 in the repo, I think Metacello will not update because it rely on the numbers to know when to update. If it find a .15 and currently have a .15 I think Metacello will think they are at the same version. 

Norbert

>
>

--
Cyril Ferlicot
https://ferlicot.fr

Reply | Threaded
|

NorbertHartl
Max,

thanks for taking the effort.

Am 10.07.2018 um 08:37 schrieb Max Leske <[hidden email]>:

I did my best to reproduce the issue but didn't have any luck. I really need access to a Linux VM to debug this. So I'm praying that Apple fixes the access restrictions to kernel extensions in their next beta...

BTW, Metacello uses ZnClient, which uses ZnFileSystemUtils, so there is indeed a chance that something goes wrong during download of the zip archive and that something may be tied to a difference in the versions of Zinc (although I still think that's unlikely).

Yes there is potential but I don‘t see it. I take a fresh 6.1 image and load my project into. I‘m not sure but I think zinc 2.9.2 is loaded rather early in that process. So I wonder why it does not go wrong in the first phase. And also not if I load the test group within the first phase. 
It must be either the second Metacello invocation or the stopping, copying and starting of the image.
I try to isolate this case more and provide a script that goes wrong on my machine. But it will take some time because I needed to stop trying to solve this as I wasted nearly two days on that already. 

Norbert

Max

I checked the Parasol Archive and it does not appear to be in Zip64 format (Metacello uses ZipArchive which can't cope with Zip64 but ZipArchive can read the Parasol zip). So my next guess is that there's either a problem with Metacello or Pharo in the way that ZipArchive is used (e.g. endianness problem or non-binary stream data). It would therefore be helpful to find out what happens in ZipArchive>>readFrom:, i.e. what kind of stream is passed / opened, is it binary, does the file exist and is it still the correct file.

I couldn’t see anything obvious. The file in the debug message exists, it is a readable zip file. The way Metacello uses it it is a StandardFileStream. It switches it to binary in the code. 
But the only difference between a working and non-working build is the upgrade to zinc 2.9.2. 

Norbert

I'd debug it myself but I can't run VirtualBox at the moment because I'm on the macOS beta and it won't start...

Max

Hi Max,

Hi Norbert,

This is a bit of a guess, but it's possible that the archive that is downloaded from github is in Zip64 format and that the libraries for extracting Zip64 are missing on your Linux. That would of course contradict the experience that the same operation appears to work in 6.1.

to be honest I don’t know what Zip64 format is. I thought the Zip classes are pure smalltalk for unpacking. 

Try extracting the archive manually on your Linux machine with the same method that Metacello uses (I assume, Metacello uses the ZipPlugin, which will probably use the system libraries).

But there are zips downloaded and unpacked. I start the image the first time loading all the code of my project. Then it is saved, copied to a new name and reopened to load the tests and then it fails. I did try to load the tests in the first run and then it works. 

I’m running out of ideas 

thanks,

Norbert

Cheers,
Max

MCWorkingCopy managersForClass: ZnFileSystemUtils do: [ :each | each ancestry initialize ]

before loading my project it updates Zinc-FileSystem as well. Sadly it still does not work for me because I get 

and I don’t know why. zip file is downloaded from github and present but it fails and only on my jenkins on linux. On my Mac this works.

Norbert

Anyway this would be very easy to solve. We just need to ask Sven if he is fine with doing an empty .16 version for Zinc-FileSystem and does an in-place version reset of 2.9.2 or a new 2.9.3. I’m not fully convinced that will solve it but the cost won’t be very high.

Norbert

Need to investigate more. There are two .15 versions but there is 1 year in between (if you didn’t notice TheIntegratior.15 is from 2017). Just want to have more context information because I can only see that this is strange but lacking insight.

I’m trying to figure out why it does not update Zinc-FileSystem. No matter what I do I cannot get Metacello to load the newer package. That would fix the issue because I’m loading 2.9.2 which should have Zinc-FileSystem-SVC.15 and not stay on the one included in the image.

I think this is important for everyone that has a product based on 6.1 and that want to migrate someday to pharo7. This way it is impossible to do it step by step.

If there is a package .15 in the image and a package .15 in the repo, I think Metacello will not update because it rely on the numbers to know when to update. If it find a .15 and currently have a .15 I think Metacello will think they are at the same version. 

Norbert

>
>

--
Cyril Ferlicot

Reply | Threaded
|

Max Leske
On 10 Jul 2018, at 8:48, Norbert Hartl wrote:

> Max,
>
> thanks for taking the effort.

No worries.

>
>> Am 10.07.2018 um 08:37 schrieb Max Leske <[hidden email]>:
>>
>> I did my best to reproduce the issue but didn't have any luck. I
>> really need access to a Linux VM to debug this. So I'm praying that
>> Apple fixes the access restrictions to kernel extensions in their
>> next beta...
>>
>> BTW, Metacello uses ZnClient, which uses ZnFileSystemUtils, so there
>> is indeed a chance that something goes wrong during download of the
>> zip archive and that something may be tied to a difference in the
>> versions of Zinc (although I still think that's unlikely).
>>
> Yes there is potential but I don‘t see it. I take a fresh 6.1 image
> and load my project into. I‘m not sure but I think zinc 2.9.2 is
> loaded rather early in that process. So I wonder why it does not go
> wrong in the first phase. And also not if I load the test group within
> the first phase.
> It must be either the second Metacello invocation or the stopping,
> copying and starting of the image.
> I try to isolate this case more and provide a script that goes wrong
> on my machine. But it will take some time because I needed to stop
> trying to solve this as I wasted nearly two days on that already.

Let me know once you have something and I'll try to help out.

>
> Norbert
>
>> Max
>>
>>
>> On 9 Jul 2018, at 19:43, Norbert Hartl wrote:
>>
>>
>>
>>> Am 09.07.2018 um 19:10 schrieb Max Leske <[hidden email]>:
>>>
>>> I checked the Parasol Archive and it does not appear to be in Zip64
>>> format (Metacello uses ZipArchive which can't cope with Zip64 but
>>> ZipArchive can read the Parasol zip). So my next guess is that
>>> there's either a problem with Metacello or Pharo in the way that
>>> ZipArchive is used (e.g. endianness problem or non-binary stream
>>> data). It would therefore be helpful to find out what happens in
>>> ZipArchive>>readFrom:, i.e. what kind of stream is passed / opened,
>>> is it binary, does the file exist and is it still the correct file.
>>>
>>>
>> I couldn’t see anything obvious. The file in the debug message
>> exists, it is a readable zip file. The way Metacello uses it it is a
>> StandardFileStream. It switches it to binary in the code.
>> But the only difference between a working and non-working build is
>> the upgrade to zinc 2.9.2.
>>
>> Norbert
>>
>>> I'd debug it myself but I can't run VirtualBox at the moment because
>>> I'm on the macOS beta and it won't start...
>>>
>>> Max
>>>
>>> On 9 Jul 2018, at 18:31, Norbert Hartl wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi Max,
>>>
>>>
>>>> Am 09.07.2018 um 18:18 schrieb Max Leske <[hidden email]>:
>>>>
>>>> Hi Norbert,
>>>>
>>>> This is a bit of a guess, but it's possible that the archive that
>>>> is downloaded from github is in Zip64 format and that the libraries
>>>> for extracting Zip64 are missing on your Linux. That would of
>>>> course contradict the experience that the same operation appears to
>>>> work in 6.1.
>>>>
>>>>
>>> to be honest I don’t know what Zip64 format is. I thought the Zip
>>> classes are pure smalltalk for unpacking.
>>>> Try extracting the archive manually on your Linux machine with the
>>>> same method that Metacello uses (I assume, Metacello uses the
>>>> ZipPlugin, which will probably use the system libraries).
>>>>
>>>>
>>>
>>> I have no ZipPlugin as library in any of my vms.
>>>
>>> But there are zips downloaded and unpacked. I start the image the
>>> first time loading all the code of my project. Then it is saved,
>>> copied to a new name and reopened to load the tests and then it
>>> fails. I did try to load the tests in the first run and then it
>>> works.
>>>
>>> I’m running out of ideas
>>>
>>> thanks,
>>>
>>> Norbert
>>>> Cheers,
>>>> Max
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> On 9 Jul 2018, at 17:14, Norbert Hartl wrote:
>>>>
>>>> With the help of Esteban I got one step further. If I do
>>>>
>>>> MCWorkingCopy
>>>>         managersForClass: ZnFileSystemUtils
>>>>         do: [ :each | each ancestry initialize ]
>>>>
>>>> before loading my project it updates Zinc-FileSystem as well. Sadly
>>>> it still does not work for me because I get
>>>>
>>>> Loading baseline of BaselineOfMobilityMap...
>>>> ...RETRY->BaselineOfParasol
>>>> ...RETRY->BaselineOfParasolError: can't find EOCD position
>>>>
>>>> and I don’t know why. zip file is downloaded from github and
>>>> present but it fails and only on my jenkins on linux. On my Mac
>>>> this works.
>>>>
>>>> I try a few things but then I’m back on pharo6.1 for the time
>>>> being :(
>>>>
>>>> Norbert
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>> Am 07.07.2018 um 13:28 schrieb Norbert Hartl <[hidden email]>:
>>>>>
>>>>> Really? I thought the same but then I didn’t believe it works
>>>>> like that.
>>>>>
>>>>> Anyway this would be very easy to solve. We just need to ask Sven
>>>>> if he is fine with doing an empty .16 version for Zinc-FileSystem
>>>>> and does an in-place version reset of 2.9.2 or a new 2.9.3. I’m
>>>>> not fully convinced that will solve it but the cost won’t be
>>>>> very high.
>>>>>
>>>>> Norbert
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>>> Am 07.07.2018 um 13:22 schrieb Cyril Ferlicot
>>>>>>> <[hidden email]>:
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>>> Need to investigate more. There are two .15 versions but there
>>>>>>> is 1 year in between (if you didn’t notice TheIntegratior.15
>>>>>>> is from 2017). Just want to have more context information
>>>>>>> because I can only see that this is strange but lacking insight.
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> I’m trying to figure out why it does not update
>>>>>>> Zinc-FileSystem. No matter what I do I cannot get Metacello to
>>>>>>> load the newer package. That would fix the issue because I’m
>>>>>>> loading 2.9.2 which should have Zinc-FileSystem-SVC.15 and not
>>>>>>> stay on the one included in the image.
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> I think this is important for everyone that has a product based
>>>>>>> on 6.1 and that want to migrate someday to pharo7. This way it
>>>>>>> is impossible to do it step by step.
>>>>>>
>>>>>> If there is a package .15 in the image and a package .15 in the
>>>>>> repo, I think Metacello will not update because it rely on the
>>>>>> numbers to know when to update. If it find a .15 and currently
>>>>>> have a .15 I think Metacello will think they are at the same
>>>>>> version.
>>>>>>
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> Norbert
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>
>>>>>> --
>>>>>> Cyril Ferlicot
>>>>>> https://ferlicot.fr
>>>>>
>>>>
>>>
>>

Reply | Threaded
|

Sven Van Caekenberghe-2
FWIW, I created a new #stable version 2.9.3 that includes a newer Zinc-FileSystem-SvenVanCaekenberghe.16 - maybe this helps.

===
Name: Zinc-FileSystem-SvenVanCaekenberghe.16
Author: SvenVanCaekenberghe
Time: 11 July 2018, 4:30:36.923152 pm
UUID: 830fbcd3-1b2d-0d00-bd45-164704867404
Ancestors: Zinc-FileSystem-SvenVanCaekenberghe.15

Force an update (class comment changed)
===

> On 10 Jul 2018, at 09:17, Max Leske <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On 10 Jul 2018, at 8:48, Norbert Hartl wrote:
>
>> Max,
>>
>> thanks for taking the effort.
>
> No worries.
>
>>
>>> Am 10.07.2018 um 08:37 schrieb Max Leske <[hidden email]>:
>>>
>>> I did my best to reproduce the issue but didn't have any luck. I really need access to a Linux VM to debug this. So I'm praying that Apple fixes the access restrictions to kernel extensions in their next beta...
>>>
>>> BTW, Metacello uses ZnClient, which uses ZnFileSystemUtils, so there is indeed a chance that something goes wrong during download of the zip archive and that something may be tied to a difference in the versions of Zinc (although I still think that's unlikely).
>>>
>> Yes there is potential but I don‘t see it. I take a fresh 6.1 image and load my project into. I‘m not sure but I think zinc 2.9.2 is loaded rather early in that process. So I wonder why it does not go wrong in the first phase. And also not if I load the test group within the first phase.
>> It must be either the second Metacello invocation or the stopping, copying and starting of the image.
>> I try to isolate this case more and provide a script that goes wrong on my machine. But it will take some time because I needed to stop trying to solve this as I wasted nearly two days on that already.
>
> Let me know once you have something and I'll try to help out.
>
>>
>> Norbert
>>
>>> Max
>>>
>>>
>>> On 9 Jul 2018, at 19:43, Norbert Hartl wrote:
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>> Am 09.07.2018 um 19:10 schrieb Max Leske <[hidden email]>:
>>>>
>>>> I checked the Parasol Archive and it does not appear to be in Zip64 format (Metacello uses ZipArchive which can't cope with Zip64 but ZipArchive can read the Parasol zip). So my next guess is that there's either a problem with Metacello or Pharo in the way that ZipArchive is used (e.g. endianness problem or non-binary stream data). It would therefore be helpful to find out what happens in ZipArchive>>readFrom:, i.e. what kind of stream is passed / opened, is it binary, does the file exist and is it still the correct file.
>>>>
>>>>
>>> I couldn’t see anything obvious. The file in the debug message exists, it is a readable zip file. The way Metacello uses it it is a StandardFileStream. It switches it to binary in the code.
>>> But the only difference between a working and non-working build is the upgrade to zinc 2.9.2.
>>>
>>> Norbert
>>>
>>>> I'd debug it myself but I can't run VirtualBox at the moment because I'm on the macOS beta and it won't start...
>>>>
>>>> Max
>>>>
>>>> On 9 Jul 2018, at 18:31, Norbert Hartl wrote:
>>>>
>>>> Hi Max,
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>> Am 09.07.2018 um 18:18 schrieb Max Leske <[hidden email]>:
>>>>>
>>>>> Hi Norbert,
>>>>>
>>>>> This is a bit of a guess, but it's possible that the archive that is downloaded from github is in Zip64 format and that the libraries for extracting Zip64 are missing on your Linux. That would of course contradict the experience that the same operation appears to work in 6.1.
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>> to be honest I don’t know what Zip64 format is. I thought the Zip classes are pure smalltalk for unpacking.
>>>>> Try extracting the archive manually on your Linux machine with the same method that Metacello uses (I assume, Metacello uses the ZipPlugin, which will probably use the system libraries).
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>
>>>> I have no ZipPlugin as library in any of my vms.
>>>>
>>>> But there are zips downloaded and unpacked. I start the image the first time loading all the code of my project. Then it is saved, copied to a new name and reopened to load the tests and then it fails. I did try to load the tests in the first run and then it works.
>>>>
>>>> I’m running out of ideas
>>>>
>>>> thanks,
>>>>
>>>> Norbert
>>>>> Cheers,
>>>>> Max
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>> On 9 Jul 2018, at 17:14, Norbert Hartl wrote:
>>>>>
>>>>> With the help of Esteban I got one step further. If I do
>>>>>
>>>>> MCWorkingCopy
>>>>>        managersForClass: ZnFileSystemUtils
>>>>>        do: [ :each | each ancestry initialize ]
>>>>>
>>>>> before loading my project it updates Zinc-FileSystem as well. Sadly it still does not work for me because I get
>>>>>
>>>>> Loading baseline of BaselineOfMobilityMap...
>>>>> ...RETRY->BaselineOfParasol
>>>>> ...RETRY->BaselineOfParasolError: can't find EOCD position
>>>>>
>>>>> and I don’t know why. zip file is downloaded from github and present but it fails and only on my jenkins on linux. On my Mac this works.
>>>>>
>>>>> I try a few things but then I’m back on pharo6.1 for the time being :(
>>>>>
>>>>> Norbert
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>> Am 07.07.2018 um 13:28 schrieb Norbert Hartl <[hidden email]>:
>>>>>>
>>>>>> Really? I thought the same but then I didn’t believe it works like that.
>>>>>>
>>>>>> Anyway this would be very easy to solve. We just need to ask Sven if he is fine with doing an empty .16 version for Zinc-FileSystem and does an in-place version reset of 2.9.2 or a new 2.9.3. I’m not fully convinced that will solve it but the cost won’t be very high.
>>>>>>
>>>>>> Norbert
>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>>>> Am 07.07.2018 um 13:22 schrieb Cyril Ferlicot <[hidden email]>:
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>> Need to investigate more. There are two .15 versions but there is 1 year in between (if you didn’t notice TheIntegratior.15 is from 2017). Just want to have more context information because I can only see that this is strange but lacking insight.
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>> I’m trying to figure out why it does not update Zinc-FileSystem. No matter what I do I cannot get Metacello to load the newer package. That would fix the issue because I’m loading 2.9.2 which should have Zinc-FileSystem-SVC.15 and not stay on the one included in the image.
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>> I think this is important for everyone that has a product based on 6.1 and that want to migrate someday to pharo7. This way it is impossible to do it step by step.
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> If there is a package .15 in the image and a package .15 in the repo, I think Metacello will not update because it rely on the numbers to know when to update. If it find a .15 and currently have a .15 I think Metacello will think they are at the same version.
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>> Norbert
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> --
>>>>>>> Cyril Ferlicot
>>>>>>> https://ferlicot.fr

Reply | Threaded
|

NorbertHartl
Thank you Sven. That fixed my first problem. Sadly the other problem is more persitent than this.

Norbert

> Am 11.07.2018 um 16:46 schrieb Sven Van Caekenberghe <[hidden email]>:
>
> FWIW, I created a new #stable version 2.9.3 that includes a newer Zinc-FileSystem-SvenVanCaekenberghe.16 - maybe this helps.
>
> ===
> Name: Zinc-FileSystem-SvenVanCaekenberghe.16
> Author: SvenVanCaekenberghe
> Time: 11 July 2018, 4:30:36.923152 pm
> UUID: 830fbcd3-1b2d-0d00-bd45-164704867404
> Ancestors: Zinc-FileSystem-SvenVanCaekenberghe.15
>
> Force an update (class comment changed)
> ===
>
>> On 10 Jul 2018, at 09:17, Max Leske <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> On 10 Jul 2018, at 8:48, Norbert Hartl wrote:
>>
>>> Max,
>>>
>>> thanks for taking the effort.
>>
>> No worries.
>>
>>>
>>>> Am 10.07.2018 um 08:37 schrieb Max Leske <[hidden email]>:
>>>>
>>>> I did my best to reproduce the issue but didn't have any luck. I really need access to a Linux VM to debug this. So I'm praying that Apple fixes the access restrictions to kernel extensions in their next beta...
>>>>
>>>> BTW, Metacello uses ZnClient, which uses ZnFileSystemUtils, so there is indeed a chance that something goes wrong during download of the zip archive and that something may be tied to a difference in the versions of Zinc (although I still think that's unlikely).
>>>>
>>> Yes there is potential but I don‘t see it. I take a fresh 6.1 image and load my project into. I‘m not sure but I think zinc 2.9.2 is loaded rather early in that process. So I wonder why it does not go wrong in the first phase. And also not if I load the test group within the first phase.
>>> It must be either the second Metacello invocation or the stopping, copying and starting of the image.
>>> I try to isolate this case more and provide a script that goes wrong on my machine. But it will take some time because I needed to stop trying to solve this as I wasted nearly two days on that already.
>>
>> Let me know once you have something and I'll try to help out.
>>
>>>
>>> Norbert
>>>
>>>> Max
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> On 9 Jul 2018, at 19:43, Norbert Hartl wrote:
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>> Am 09.07.2018 um 19:10 schrieb Max Leske <[hidden email]>:
>>>>>
>>>>> I checked the Parasol Archive and it does not appear to be in Zip64 format (Metacello uses ZipArchive which can't cope with Zip64 but ZipArchive can read the Parasol zip). So my next guess is that there's either a problem with Metacello or Pharo in the way that ZipArchive is used (e.g. endianness problem or non-binary stream data). It would therefore be helpful to find out what happens in ZipArchive>>readFrom:, i.e. what kind of stream is passed / opened, is it binary, does the file exist and is it still the correct file.
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>> I couldn’t see anything obvious. The file in the debug message exists, it is a readable zip file. The way Metacello uses it it is a StandardFileStream. It switches it to binary in the code.
>>>> But the only difference between a working and non-working build is the upgrade to zinc 2.9.2.
>>>>
>>>> Norbert
>>>>
>>>>> I'd debug it myself but I can't run VirtualBox at the moment because I'm on the macOS beta and it won't start...
>>>>>
>>>>> Max
>>>>>
>>>>> On 9 Jul 2018, at 18:31, Norbert Hartl wrote:
>>>>>
>>>>> Hi Max,
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>> Am 09.07.2018 um 18:18 schrieb Max Leske <[hidden email]>:
>>>>>>
>>>>>> Hi Norbert,
>>>>>>
>>>>>> This is a bit of a guess, but it's possible that the archive that is downloaded from github is in Zip64 format and that the libraries for extracting Zip64 are missing on your Linux. That would of course contradict the experience that the same operation appears to work in 6.1.
>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>> to be honest I don’t know what Zip64 format is. I thought the Zip classes are pure smalltalk for unpacking.
>>>>>> Try extracting the archive manually on your Linux machine with the same method that Metacello uses (I assume, Metacello uses the ZipPlugin, which will probably use the system libraries).
>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>> I have no ZipPlugin as library in any of my vms.
>>>>>
>>>>> But there are zips downloaded and unpacked. I start the image the first time loading all the code of my project. Then it is saved, copied to a new name and reopened to load the tests and then it fails. I did try to load the tests in the first run and then it works.
>>>>>
>>>>> I’m running out of ideas
>>>>>
>>>>> thanks,
>>>>>
>>>>> Norbert
>>>>>> Cheers,
>>>>>> Max
>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>> On 9 Jul 2018, at 17:14, Norbert Hartl wrote:
>>>>>>
>>>>>> With the help of Esteban I got one step further. If I do
>>>>>>
>>>>>> MCWorkingCopy
>>>>>>       managersForClass: ZnFileSystemUtils
>>>>>>       do: [ :each | each ancestry initialize ]
>>>>>>
>>>>>> before loading my project it updates Zinc-FileSystem as well. Sadly it still does not work for me because I get
>>>>>>
>>>>>> Loading baseline of BaselineOfMobilityMap...
>>>>>> ...RETRY->BaselineOfParasol
>>>>>> ...RETRY->BaselineOfParasolError: can't find EOCD position
>>>>>>
>>>>>> and I don’t know why. zip file is downloaded from github and present but it fails and only on my jenkins on linux. On my Mac this works.
>>>>>>
>>>>>> I try a few things but then I’m back on pharo6.1 for the time being :(
>>>>>>
>>>>>> Norbert
>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>>> Am 07.07.2018 um 13:28 schrieb Norbert Hartl <[hidden email]>:
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> Really? I thought the same but then I didn’t believe it works like that.
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> Anyway this would be very easy to solve. We just need to ask Sven if he is fine with doing an empty .16 version for Zinc-FileSystem and does an in-place version reset of 2.9.2 or a new 2.9.3. I’m not fully convinced that will solve it but the cost won’t be very high.
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> Norbert
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>> Am 07.07.2018 um 13:22 schrieb Cyril Ferlicot <[hidden email]>:
>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>> Need to investigate more. There are two .15 versions but there is 1 year in between (if you didn’t notice TheIntegratior.15 is from 2017). Just want to have more context information because I can only see that this is strange but lacking insight.
>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>> I’m trying to figure out why it does not update Zinc-FileSystem. No matter what I do I cannot get Metacello to load the newer package. That would fix the issue because I’m loading 2.9.2 which should have Zinc-FileSystem-SVC.15 and not stay on the one included in the image.
>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>> I think this is important for everyone that has a product based on 6.1 and that want to migrate someday to pharo7. This way it is impossible to do it step by step.
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>> If there is a package .15 in the image and a package .15 in the repo, I think Metacello will not update because it rely on the numbers to know when to update. If it find a .15 and currently have a .15 I think Metacello will think they are at the same version.
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>> Norbert
>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>> --
>>>>>>>> Cyril Ferlicot
>>>>>>>> https://ferlicot.fr
>
>

Reply | Threaded
|

Sven Van Caekenberghe-2

> On 11 Jul 2018, at 19:50, Norbert Hartl <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Thank you Sven. That fixed my first problem. Sadly the other problem is more persitent than this.

I would guess that the other problem (the ZipArchive usage) might be related to the recent file/stream changes in Pharo 7 and not related to the loading of Zinc. The bug might be a binary/text stream mixup or the usage of deprecated code.

> Norbert
>
>> Am 11.07.2018 um 16:46 schrieb Sven Van Caekenberghe <[hidden email]>:
>>
>> FWIW, I created a new #stable version 2.9.3 that includes a newer Zinc-FileSystem-SvenVanCaekenberghe.16 - maybe this helps.
>>
>> ===
>> Name: Zinc-FileSystem-SvenVanCaekenberghe.16
>> Author: SvenVanCaekenberghe
>> Time: 11 July 2018, 4:30:36.923152 pm
>> UUID: 830fbcd3-1b2d-0d00-bd45-164704867404
>> Ancestors: Zinc-FileSystem-SvenVanCaekenberghe.15
>>
>> Force an update (class comment changed)
>> ===
>>
>>> On 10 Jul 2018, at 09:17, Max Leske <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> On 10 Jul 2018, at 8:48, Norbert Hartl wrote:
>>>
>>>> Max,
>>>>
>>>> thanks for taking the effort.
>>>
>>> No worries.
>>>
>>>>
>>>>> Am 10.07.2018 um 08:37 schrieb Max Leske <[hidden email]>:
>>>>>
>>>>> I did my best to reproduce the issue but didn't have any luck. I really need access to a Linux VM to debug this. So I'm praying that Apple fixes the access restrictions to kernel extensions in their next beta...
>>>>>
>>>>> BTW, Metacello uses ZnClient, which uses ZnFileSystemUtils, so there is indeed a chance that something goes wrong during download of the zip archive and that something may be tied to a difference in the versions of Zinc (although I still think that's unlikely).
>>>>>
>>>> Yes there is potential but I don‘t see it. I take a fresh 6.1 image and load my project into. I‘m not sure but I think zinc 2.9.2 is loaded rather early in that process. So I wonder why it does not go wrong in the first phase. And also not if I load the test group within the first phase.
>>>> It must be either the second Metacello invocation or the stopping, copying and starting of the image.
>>>> I try to isolate this case more and provide a script that goes wrong on my machine. But it will take some time because I needed to stop trying to solve this as I wasted nearly two days on that already.
>>>
>>> Let me know once you have something and I'll try to help out.
>>>
>>>>
>>>> Norbert
>>>>
>>>>> Max
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>> On 9 Jul 2018, at 19:43, Norbert Hartl wrote:
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>> Am 09.07.2018 um 19:10 schrieb Max Leske <[hidden email]>:
>>>>>>
>>>>>> I checked the Parasol Archive and it does not appear to be in Zip64 format (Metacello uses ZipArchive which can't cope with Zip64 but ZipArchive can read the Parasol zip). So my next guess is that there's either a problem with Metacello or Pharo in the way that ZipArchive is used (e.g. endianness problem or non-binary stream data). It would therefore be helpful to find out what happens in ZipArchive>>readFrom:, i.e. what kind of stream is passed / opened, is it binary, does the file exist and is it still the correct file.
>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>> I couldn’t see anything obvious. The file in the debug message exists, it is a readable zip file. The way Metacello uses it it is a StandardFileStream. It switches it to binary in the code.
>>>>> But the only difference between a working and non-working build is the upgrade to zinc 2.9.2.
>>>>>
>>>>> Norbert
>>>>>
>>>>>> I'd debug it myself but I can't run VirtualBox at the moment because I'm on the macOS beta and it won't start...
>>>>>>
>>>>>> Max
>>>>>>
>>>>>> On 9 Jul 2018, at 18:31, Norbert Hartl wrote:
>>>>>>
>>>>>> Hi Max,
>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>>> Am 09.07.2018 um 18:18 schrieb Max Leske <[hidden email]>:
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> Hi Norbert,
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> This is a bit of a guess, but it's possible that the archive that is downloaded from github is in Zip64 format and that the libraries for extracting Zip64 are missing on your Linux. That would of course contradict the experience that the same operation appears to work in 6.1.
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>
>>>>>> to be honest I don’t know what Zip64 format is. I thought the Zip classes are pure smalltalk for unpacking.
>>>>>>> Try extracting the archive manually on your Linux machine with the same method that Metacello uses (I assume, Metacello uses the ZipPlugin, which will probably use the system libraries).
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>> I have no ZipPlugin as library in any of my vms.
>>>>>>
>>>>>> But there are zips downloaded and unpacked. I start the image the first time loading all the code of my project. Then it is saved, copied to a new name and reopened to load the tests and then it fails. I did try to load the tests in the first run and then it works.
>>>>>>
>>>>>> I’m running out of ideas
>>>>>>
>>>>>> thanks,
>>>>>>
>>>>>> Norbert
>>>>>>> Cheers,
>>>>>>> Max
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> On 9 Jul 2018, at 17:14, Norbert Hartl wrote:
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> With the help of Esteban I got one step further. If I do
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> MCWorkingCopy
>>>>>>>      managersForClass: ZnFileSystemUtils
>>>>>>>      do: [ :each | each ancestry initialize ]
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> before loading my project it updates Zinc-FileSystem as well. Sadly it still does not work for me because I get
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> Loading baseline of BaselineOfMobilityMap...
>>>>>>> ...RETRY->BaselineOfParasol
>>>>>>> ...RETRY->BaselineOfParasolError: can't find EOCD position
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> and I don’t know why. zip file is downloaded from github and present but it fails and only on my jenkins on linux. On my Mac this works.
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> I try a few things but then I’m back on pharo6.1 for the time being :(
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> Norbert
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>> Am 07.07.2018 um 13:28 schrieb Norbert Hartl <[hidden email]>:
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>> Really? I thought the same but then I didn’t believe it works like that.
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>> Anyway this would be very easy to solve. We just need to ask Sven if he is fine with doing an empty .16 version for Zinc-FileSystem and does an in-place version reset of 2.9.2 or a new 2.9.3. I’m not fully convinced that will solve it but the cost won’t be very high.
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>> Norbert
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>> Am 07.07.2018 um 13:22 schrieb Cyril Ferlicot <[hidden email]>:
>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>> Need to investigate more. There are two .15 versions but there is 1 year in between (if you didn’t notice TheIntegratior.15 is from 2017). Just want to have more context information because I can only see that this is strange but lacking insight.
>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>> I’m trying to figure out why it does not update Zinc-FileSystem. No matter what I do I cannot get Metacello to load the newer package. That would fix the issue because I’m loading 2.9.2 which should have Zinc-FileSystem-SVC.15 and not stay on the one included in the image.
>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>> I think this is important for everyone that has a product based on 6.1 and that want to migrate someday to pharo7. This way it is impossible to do it step by step.
>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>> If there is a package .15 in the image and a package .15 in the repo, I think Metacello will not update because it rely on the numbers to know when to update. If it find a .15 and currently have a .15 I think Metacello will think they are at the same version.
>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>> Norbert
>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>> --
>>>>>>>>> Cyril Ferlicot
>>>>>>>>> https://ferlicot.fr
>>
>>
>
>

Reply | Threaded
|

NorbertHartl

> Am 11.07.2018 um 20:19 schrieb Sven Van Caekenberghe <[hidden email]>:
>
>
>
>> On 11 Jul 2018, at 19:50, Norbert Hartl <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Thank you Sven. That fixed my first problem. Sadly the other problem is more persitent than this.
>
> I would guess that the other problem (the ZipArchive usage) might be related to the recent file/stream changes in Pharo 7 and not related to the loading of Zinc. The bug might be a binary/text stream mixup or the usage of deprecated code.
>
That’d be my guess, too. Unfortunately it occurs where debugging is difficult.

Norbert

>> Norbert
>>
>>> Am 11.07.2018 um 16:46 schrieb Sven Van Caekenberghe <[hidden email]>:
>>>
>>> FWIW, I created a new #stable version 2.9.3 that includes a newer Zinc-FileSystem-SvenVanCaekenberghe.16 - maybe this helps.
>>>
>>> ===
>>> Name: Zinc-FileSystem-SvenVanCaekenberghe.16
>>> Author: SvenVanCaekenberghe
>>> Time: 11 July 2018, 4:30:36.923152 pm
>>> UUID: 830fbcd3-1b2d-0d00-bd45-164704867404
>>> Ancestors: Zinc-FileSystem-SvenVanCaekenberghe.15
>>>
>>> Force an update (class comment changed)
>>> ===
>>>
>>>> On 10 Jul 2018, at 09:17, Max Leske <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>>
>>>> On 10 Jul 2018, at 8:48, Norbert Hartl wrote:
>>>>
>>>>> Max,
>>>>>
>>>>> thanks for taking the effort.
>>>>
>>>> No worries.
>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>> Am 10.07.2018 um 08:37 schrieb Max Leske <[hidden email]>:
>>>>>>
>>>>>> I did my best to reproduce the issue but didn't have any luck. I really need access to a Linux VM to debug this. So I'm praying that Apple fixes the access restrictions to kernel extensions in their next beta...
>>>>>>
>>>>>> BTW, Metacello uses ZnClient, which uses ZnFileSystemUtils, so there is indeed a chance that something goes wrong during download of the zip archive and that something may be tied to a difference in the versions of Zinc (although I still think that's unlikely).
>>>>>>
>>>>> Yes there is potential but I don‘t see it. I take a fresh 6.1 image and load my project into. I‘m not sure but I think zinc 2.9.2 is loaded rather early in that process. So I wonder why it does not go wrong in the first phase. And also not if I load the test group within the first phase.
>>>>> It must be either the second Metacello invocation or the stopping, copying and starting of the image.
>>>>> I try to isolate this case more and provide a script that goes wrong on my machine. But it will take some time because I needed to stop trying to solve this as I wasted nearly two days on that already.
>>>>
>>>> Let me know once you have something and I'll try to help out.
>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>> Norbert
>>>>>
>>>>>> Max
>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>> On 9 Jul 2018, at 19:43, Norbert Hartl wrote:
>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>>> Am 09.07.2018 um 19:10 schrieb Max Leske <[hidden email]>:
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> I checked the Parasol Archive and it does not appear to be in Zip64 format (Metacello uses ZipArchive which can't cope with Zip64 but ZipArchive can read the Parasol zip). So my next guess is that there's either a problem with Metacello or Pharo in the way that ZipArchive is used (e.g. endianness problem or non-binary stream data). It would therefore be helpful to find out what happens in ZipArchive>>readFrom:, i.e. what kind of stream is passed / opened, is it binary, does the file exist and is it still the correct file.
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>
>>>>>> I couldn’t see anything obvious. The file in the debug message exists, it is a readable zip file. The way Metacello uses it it is a StandardFileStream. It switches it to binary in the code.
>>>>>> But the only difference between a working and non-working build is the upgrade to zinc 2.9.2.
>>>>>>
>>>>>> Norbert
>>>>>>
>>>>>>> I'd debug it myself but I can't run VirtualBox at the moment because I'm on the macOS beta and it won't start...
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> Max
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> On 9 Jul 2018, at 18:31, Norbert Hartl wrote:
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> Hi Max,
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>> Am 09.07.2018 um 18:18 schrieb Max Leske <[hidden email]>:
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>> Hi Norbert,
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>> This is a bit of a guess, but it's possible that the archive that is downloaded from github is in Zip64 format and that the libraries for extracting Zip64 are missing on your Linux. That would of course contradict the experience that the same operation appears to work in 6.1.
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> to be honest I don’t know what Zip64 format is. I thought the Zip classes are pure smalltalk for unpacking.
>>>>>>>> Try extracting the archive manually on your Linux machine with the same method that Metacello uses (I assume, Metacello uses the ZipPlugin, which will probably use the system libraries).
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> I have no ZipPlugin as library in any of my vms.
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> But there are zips downloaded and unpacked. I start the image the first time loading all the code of my project. Then it is saved, copied to a new name and reopened to load the tests and then it fails. I did try to load the tests in the first run and then it works.
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> I’m running out of ideas
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> thanks,
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> Norbert
>>>>>>>> Cheers,
>>>>>>>> Max
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>> On 9 Jul 2018, at 17:14, Norbert Hartl wrote:
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>> With the help of Esteban I got one step further. If I do
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>> MCWorkingCopy
>>>>>>>>     managersForClass: ZnFileSystemUtils
>>>>>>>>     do: [ :each | each ancestry initialize ]
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>> before loading my project it updates Zinc-FileSystem as well. Sadly it still does not work for me because I get
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>> Loading baseline of BaselineOfMobilityMap...
>>>>>>>> ...RETRY->BaselineOfParasol
>>>>>>>> ...RETRY->BaselineOfParasolError: can't find EOCD position
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>> and I don’t know why. zip file is downloaded from github and present but it fails and only on my jenkins on linux. On my Mac this works.
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>> I try a few things but then I’m back on pharo6.1 for the time being :(
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>> Norbert
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>> Am 07.07.2018 um 13:28 schrieb Norbert Hartl <[hidden email]>:
>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>> Really? I thought the same but then I didn’t believe it works like that.
>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>> Anyway this would be very easy to solve. We just need to ask Sven if he is fine with doing an empty .16 version for Zinc-FileSystem and does an in-place version reset of 2.9.2 or a new 2.9.3. I’m not fully convinced that will solve it but the cost won’t be very high.
>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>> Norbert
>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>> Am 07.07.2018 um 13:22 schrieb Cyril Ferlicot <[hidden email]>:
>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>> Need to investigate more. There are two .15 versions but there is 1 year in between (if you didn’t notice TheIntegratior.15 is from 2017). Just want to have more context information because I can only see that this is strange but lacking insight.
>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>> I’m trying to figure out why it does not update Zinc-FileSystem. No matter what I do I cannot get Metacello to load the newer package. That would fix the issue because I’m loading 2.9.2 which should have Zinc-FileSystem-SVC.15 and not stay on the one included in the image.
>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>> I think this is important for everyone that has a product based on 6.1 and that want to migrate someday to pharo7. This way it is impossible to do it step by step.
>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>> If there is a package .15 in the image and a package .15 in the repo, I think Metacello will not update because it rely on the numbers to know when to update. If it find a .15 and currently have a .15 I think Metacello will think they are at the same version.
>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>> Norbert
>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>> --
>>>>>>>>>> Cyril Ferlicot
>>>>>>>>>> https://ferlicot.fr
>>>
>>>
>>
>>
>
>

Reply | Threaded
|

NorbertHartl
In reply to this post by Max Leske
Hi Max,

I constructed a case that fails exactly like I experience it. Could you try? Just unpack the attachment on a linux, set PHARO_VM env to your executable and execute build.sh

Norbert

Am 10.07.2018 um 09:17 schrieb Max Leske <[hidden email]>:

Max,

No worries.

Am 10.07.2018 um 08:37 schrieb Max Leske <[hidden email]>:

Yes there is potential but I don‘t see it. I take a fresh 6.1 image and load my project into. I‘m not sure but I think zinc 2.9.2 is loaded rather early in that process. So I wonder why it does not go wrong in the first phase. And also not if I load the test group within the first phase.
It must be either the second Metacello invocation or the stopping, copying and starting of the image.
I try to isolate this case more and provide a script that goes wrong on my machine. But it will take some time because I needed to stop trying to solve this as I wasted nearly two days on that already.

Norbert

Max

Norbert

Max

Hi Max,

Hi Norbert,

I’m running out of ideas

thanks,

Norbert
Cheers,
Max

MCWorkingCopy
       managersForClass: ZnFileSystemUtils
       do: [ :each | each ancestry initialize ]

Norbert

Norbert

Norbert

-- 
Cyril Ferlicot

problem.zip (6K) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
|

Max Leske
On 11 Jul 2018, at 22:44, Norbert Hartl wrote:

> Hi Max,
>
> I constructed a case that fails exactly like I experience it. Could
> you try? Just unpack the attachment on a linux, set PHARO_VM env to
> your executable and execute build.sh

I will. Might take a couple of days though.

Max

>
> Norbert
>
>> Am 10.07.2018 um 09:17 schrieb Max Leske <[hidden email]>:
>>
>>
>>> Max,
>>>
>>
>> No worries.
>>
>>>
>>>> Am 10.07.2018 um 08:37 schrieb Max Leske <[hidden email]>:
>>>>
>>>> I did my best to reproduce the issue but didn't have any luck. I
>>>> really need access to a Linux VM to debug this. So I'm praying that
>>>> Apple fixes the access restrictions to kernel extensions in their
>>>> next beta...
>>>>
>>>> BTW, Metacello uses ZnClient, which uses ZnFileSystemUtils, so
>>>> there is indeed a chance that something goes wrong during download
>>>> of the zip archive and that something may be tied to a difference
>>>> in the versions of Zinc (although I still think that's unlikely).
>>>>
>>> Yes there is potential but I don‘t see it. I take a fresh 6.1
>>> image and load my project into. I‘m not sure but I think zinc
>>> 2.9.2 is loaded rather early in that process. So I wonder why it
>>> does not go wrong in the first phase. And also not if I load the
>>> test group within the first phase.
>>> It must be either the second Metacello invocation or the stopping,
>>> copying and starting of the image.
>>> I try to isolate this case more and provide a script that goes wrong
>>> on my machine. But it will take some time because I needed to stop
>>> trying to solve this as I wasted nearly two days on that already.
>>
>>
>>>
>>> Norbert
>>>
>>>> Max
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>> Am 09.07.2018 um 19:10 schrieb Max Leske <[hidden email]>:
>>>>>
>>>>> I checked the Parasol Archive and it does not appear to be in
>>>>> Zip64 format (Metacello uses ZipArchive which can't cope with
>>>>> Zip64 but ZipArchive can read the Parasol zip). So my next guess
>>>>> is that there's either a problem with Metacello or Pharo in the
>>>>> way that ZipArchive is used (e.g. endianness problem or non-binary
>>>>> stream data). It would therefore be helpful to find out what
>>>>> happens in ZipArchive>>readFrom:, i.e. what kind of stream is
>>>>> passed / opened, is it binary, does the file exist and is it still
>>>>> the correct file.
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>> I couldn’t see anything obvious. The file in the debug message
>>>> exists, it is a readable zip file. The way Metacello uses it it is
>>>> a StandardFileStream. It switches it to binary in the code.
>>>> But the only difference between a working and non-working build is
>>>> the upgrade to zinc 2.9.2.
>>>>
>>>> Norbert
>>>>
>>>>> I'd debug it myself but I can't run VirtualBox at the moment
>>>>> because I'm on the macOS beta and it won't start...
>>>>>
>>>>> Max
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>> Hi Max,
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>> Am 09.07.2018 um 18:18 schrieb Max Leske <[hidden email]>:
>>>>>>
>>>>>> Hi Norbert,
>>>>>>
>>>>>> This is a bit of a guess, but it's possible that the archive that
>>>>>> is downloaded from github is in Zip64 format and that the
>>>>>> libraries for extracting Zip64 are missing on your Linux. That
>>>>>> would of course contradict the experience that the same operation
>>>>>> appears to work in 6.1.
>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>> to be honest I don’t know what Zip64 format is. I thought the
>>>>> Zip classes are pure smalltalk for unpacking.
>>>>>> Try extracting the archive manually on your Linux machine with
>>>>>> the same method that Metacello uses (I assume, Metacello uses the
>>>>>> ZipPlugin, which will probably use the system libraries).
>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>> But there are zips downloaded and unpacked. I start the image the
>>>>> first time loading all the code of my project. Then it is saved,
>>>>> copied to a new name and reopened to load the tests and then it
>>>>> fails. I did try to load the tests in the first run and then it
>>>>> works.
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>> thanks,
>>>>>
>>>>> Norbert
>>>>>> Cheers,
>>>>>> Max
>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>> On 9 Jul 2018, at 17:14, Norbert Hartl wrote:
>>>>>>
>>>>>> With the help of Esteban I got one step further. If I do
>>>>>>
>>>>>> MCWorkingCopy
>>>>>>        managersForClass: ZnFileSystemUtils
>>>>>>        do: [ :each | each ancestry initialize ]
>>>>>>
>>>>>> before loading my project it updates Zinc-FileSystem as well.
>>>>>> Sadly it still does not work for me because I get
>>>>>>
>>>>>> Loading baseline of BaselineOfMobilityMap...
>>>>>> ...RETRY->BaselineOfParasol
>>>>>> ...RETRY->BaselineOfParasolError: can't find EOCD position
>>>>>>
>>>>>> and I don’t know why. zip file is downloaded from github and
>>>>>> present but it fails and only on my jenkins on linux. On my Mac
>>>>>> this works.
>>>>>>
>>>>>> I try a few things but then I’m back on pharo6.1 for the time
>>>>>> being :(
>>>>>>
>>>>>> Norbert
>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>>> Am 07.07.2018 um 13:28 schrieb Norbert Hartl
>>>>>>> <[hidden email]>:
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> Really? I thought the same but then I didn’t believe it works
>>>>>>> like that.
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> Anyway this would be very easy to solve. We just need to ask
>>>>>>> Sven if he is fine with doing an empty .16 version for
>>>>>>> Zinc-FileSystem and does an in-place version reset of 2.9.2 or a
>>>>>>> new 2.9.3. I’m not fully convinced that will solve it but the
>>>>>>> cost won’t be very high.
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> Norbert
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>> Am 07.07.2018 um 13:22 schrieb Cyril Ferlicot
>>>>>>>>> <[hidden email]>:
>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>> Need to investigate more. There are two .15 versions but there
>>>>>>>>> is 1 year in between (if you didn’t notice TheIntegratior.15
>>>>>>>>> is from 2017). Just want to have more context information
>>>>>>>>> because I can only see that this is strange but lacking
>>>>>>>>> insight.
>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>> I’m trying to figure out why it does not update
>>>>>>>>> Zinc-FileSystem. No matter what I do I cannot get Metacello to
>>>>>>>>> load the newer package. That would fix the issue because I’m
>>>>>>>>> loading 2.9.2 which should have Zinc-FileSystem-SVC.15 and not
>>>>>>>>> stay on the one included in the image.
>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>> I think this is important for everyone that has a product
>>>>>>>>> based on 6.1 and that want to migrate someday to pharo7. This
>>>>>>>>> way it is impossible to do it step by step.
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>> If there is a package .15 in the image and a package .15 in the
>>>>>>>> repo, I think Metacello will not update because it rely on the
>>>>>>>> numbers to know when to update. If it find a .15 and currently
>>>>>>>> have a .15 I think Metacello will think they are at the same
>>>>>>>> version.
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>> Norbert
>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>> --
>>>>>>>> Cyril Ferlicot
>>>>>>>> https://ferlicot.fr

Reply | Threaded
|

NorbertHartl

> Am 12.07.2018 um 08:05 schrieb Max Leske <[hidden email]>:
>
>> On 11 Jul 2018, at 22:44, Norbert Hartl wrote:
>>
>> Hi Max,
>>
>> I constructed a case that fails exactly like I experience it. Could you try? Just unpack the attachment on a linux, set PHARO_VM env to your executable and execute build.sh
>
> I will. Might take a couple of days though.
>
No problem. I‘m happy if you find time.

Norbert

> Max
>
>>
>> Norbert
>>
>>> Am 10.07.2018 um 09:17 schrieb Max Leske <[hidden email]>:
>>>
>>>
>>>> Max,
>>>>
>>>
>>> No worries.
>>>
>>>>
>>>>> Am 10.07.2018 um 08:37 schrieb Max Leske <[hidden email]>:
>>>>>
>>>>> I did my best to reproduce the issue but didn't have any luck. I really need access to a Linux VM to debug this. So I'm praying that Apple fixes the access restrictions to kernel extensions in their next beta...
>>>>>
>>>>> BTW, Metacello uses ZnClient, which uses ZnFileSystemUtils, so there is indeed a chance that something goes wrong during download of the zip archive and that something may be tied to a difference in the versions of Zinc (although I still think that's unlikely).
>>>>>
>>>> Yes there is potential but I don‘t see it. I take a fresh 6.1 image and load my project into. I‘m not sure but I think zinc 2.9.2 is loaded rather early in that process. So I wonder why it does not go wrong in the first phase. And also not if I load the test group within the first phase.
>>>> It must be either the second Metacello invocation or the stopping, copying and starting of the image.
>>>> I try to isolate this case more and provide a script that goes wrong on my machine. But it will take some time because I needed to stop trying to solve this as I wasted nearly two days on that already.
>>>
>>>
>>>>
>>>> Norbert
>>>>
>>>>> Max
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>> Am 09.07.2018 um 19:10 schrieb Max Leske <[hidden email]>:
>>>>>>
>>>>>> I checked the Parasol Archive and it does not appear to be in Zip64 format (Metacello uses ZipArchive which can't cope with Zip64 but ZipArchive can read the Parasol zip). So my next guess is that there's either a problem with Metacello or Pharo in the way that ZipArchive is used (e.g. endianness problem or non-binary stream data). It would therefore be helpful to find out what happens in ZipArchive>>readFrom:, i.e. what kind of stream is passed / opened, is it binary, does the file exist and is it still the correct file.
>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>> I couldn’t see anything obvious. The file in the debug message exists, it is a readable zip file. The way Metacello uses it it is a StandardFileStream. It switches it to binary in the code.
>>>>> But the only difference between a working and non-working build is the upgrade to zinc 2.9.2.
>>>>>
>>>>> Norbert
>>>>>
>>>>>> I'd debug it myself but I can't run VirtualBox at the moment because I'm on the macOS beta and it won't start...
>>>>>>
>>>>>> Max
>>>>>>
>>>>>> On 9 Jul 2018, at 18:31, Norbert Hartl wrote:
>>>>>>
>>>>>> Hi Max,
>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>>> Am 09.07.2018 um 18:18 schrieb Max Leske <[hidden email]>:
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> Hi Norbert,
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> This is a bit of a guess, but it's possible that the archive that is downloaded from github is in Zip64 format and that the libraries for extracting Zip64 are missing on your Linux. That would of course contradict the experience that the same operation appears to work in 6.1.
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>
>>>>>> to be honest I don’t know what Zip64 format is. I thought the Zip classes are pure smalltalk for unpacking.
>>>>>>> Try extracting the archive manually on your Linux machine with the same method that Metacello uses (I assume, Metacello uses the ZipPlugin, which will probably use the system libraries).
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>> I have no ZipPlugin as library in any of my vms.
>>>>>>
>>>>>> But there are zips downloaded and unpacked. I start the image the first time loading all the code of my project. Then it is saved, copied to a new name and reopened to load the tests and then it fails. I did try to load the tests in the first run and then it works.
>>>>>>
>>>>>> I’m running out of ideas
>>>>>>
>>>>>> thanks,
>>>>>>
>>>>>> Norbert
>>>>>>> Cheers,
>>>>>>> Max
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> On 9 Jul 2018, at 17:14, Norbert Hartl wrote:
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> With the help of Esteban I got one step further. If I do
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> MCWorkingCopy
>>>>>>>       managersForClass: ZnFileSystemUtils
>>>>>>>       do: [ :each | each ancestry initialize ]
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> before loading my project it updates Zinc-FileSystem as well. Sadly it still does not work for me because I get
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> Loading baseline of BaselineOfMobilityMap...
>>>>>>> ...RETRY->BaselineOfParasol
>>>>>>> ...RETRY->BaselineOfParasolError: can't find EOCD position
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> and I don’t know why. zip file is downloaded from github and present but it fails and only on my jenkins on linux. On my Mac this works.
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> I try a few things but then I’m back on pharo6.1 for the time being :(
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> Norbert
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>> Am 07.07.2018 um 13:28 schrieb Norbert Hartl <[hidden email]>:
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>> Really? I thought the same but then I didn’t believe it works like that.
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>> Anyway this would be very easy to solve. We just need to ask Sven if he is fine with doing an empty .16 version for Zinc-FileSystem and does an in-place version reset of 2.9.2 or a new 2.9.3. I’m not fully convinced that will solve it but the cost won’t be very high.
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>> Norbert
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>> Am 07.07.2018 um 13:22 schrieb Cyril Ferlicot <[hidden email]>:
>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>> Need to investigate more. There are two .15 versions but there is 1 year in between (if you didn’t notice TheIntegratior.15 is from 2017). Just want to have more context information because I can only see that this is strange but lacking insight.
>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>> I’m trying to figure out why it does not update Zinc-FileSystem. No matter what I do I cannot get Metacello to load the newer package. That would fix the issue because I’m loading 2.9.2 which should have Zinc-FileSystem-SVC.15 and not stay on the one included in the image.
>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>> I think this is important for everyone that has a product based on 6.1 and that want to migrate someday to pharo7. This way it is impossible to do it step by step.
>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>> If there is a package .15 in the image and a package .15 in the repo, I think Metacello will not update because it rely on the numbers to know when to update. If it find a .15 and currently have a .15 I think Metacello will think they are at the same version.
>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>> Norbert
>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>> --
>>>>>>>>> Cyril Ferlicot
>>>>>>>>> https://ferlicot.fr
>

Reply | Threaded
|

Max Leske

Hi Norbert,

I was able to reproduce the problem and then identify the culprit, although what I don't yet understand is how this is related to the changes in Zinc.

Anyway, the problem is that the file stream isn't properly flushed in ZnUtils class>>streamFrom:to:size:. Adding outputStream flush as the last statement fixes your problem. Apparently, StandardFileStream / MultiByteFileStream perform a simple close() on the file which, according to the man page on close(), does not guarantee that the contents have all been written to file. In this case a flush is necessary because the entire file is immediately read again.

Here's a smaller test case for you to play with Sven:

ZnClient new
    url: 'https://github.com/zweidenker/Parasol/archive/master.zip';
    downloadTo: '/tmp/foobar.zip'.
bytes := '/tmp/foobar.zip' asFileReference binaryReadStreamDo: [ :s | s contents ].
Transcript open; show: bytes size; cr.
5 seconds asDelay wait.
Transcript show: ('/tmp/foobar.zip' asFileReference binaryReadStreamDo: [ :s | s contents ]) size.

The output in the Transcript should be:

Cheers,
Max

On 12 Jul 2018, at 8:17, Norbert Hartl wrote:

Am 12.07.2018 um 08:05 schrieb Max Leske [hidden email]:

Hi Max,

I constructed a case that fails exactly like I experience it. Could you try? Just unpack the attachment on a linux, set PHARO_VM env to your executable and execute build.sh

Norbert

Max

Norbert

Am 10.07.2018 um 09:17 schrieb Max Leske [hidden email]:

Max,

No worries.

Am 10.07.2018 um 08:37 schrieb Max Leske [hidden email]:

Norbert

Max

Am 09.07.2018 um 19:10 schrieb Max Leske [hidden email]:

Norbert

Max

Hi Max,

Am 09.07.2018 um 18:18 schrieb Max Leske [hidden email]:

Hi Norbert,

I’m running out of ideas

thanks,

Norbert

Cheers,
Max

MCWorkingCopy

...RETRY->BaselineOfParasol[31mError: can't find EOCD position

Norbert

Am 07.07.2018 um 13:28 schrieb Norbert Hartl [hidden email]:

Norbert

Am 07.07.2018 um 13:22 schrieb Cyril Ferlicot [hidden email]:

Norbert

--
Cyril Ferlicot

Reply | Threaded
|

Nicolas Cellier
Isn't there a recent PR on opensmalltalk that address just this?

Le jeu. 12 juil. 2018 à 23:16, Max Leske <[hidden email]> a écrit :

Hi Norbert,

I was able to reproduce the problem and then identify the culprit, although what I don't yet understand is how this is related to the changes in Zinc.

Anyway, the problem is that the file stream isn't properly flushed in ZnUtils class>>streamFrom:to:size:. Adding outputStream flush as the last statement fixes your problem. Apparently, StandardFileStream / MultiByteFileStream perform a simple close() on the file which, according to the man page on close(), does not guarantee that the contents have all been written to file. In this case a flush is necessary because the entire file is immediately read again.

ZnClient new
bytes := '/tmp/foobar.zip' asFileReference binaryReadStreamDo: [ :s | s contents ].
5 seconds asDelay wait.
Transcript show: ('/tmp/foobar.zip' asFileReference binaryReadStreamDo: [ :s | s contents ]) size.

Cheers,
Max

Hi Max,

Norbert

Max

Norbert

Max,

No worries.

Norbert

Max

Norbert

Max

Hi Max,

Hi Norbert,

I’m running out of ideas

thanks,

Norbert

Cheers,
Max

MCWorkingCopy

Norbert

Norbert

Norbert

--
Cyril Ferlicot

Reply | Threaded
|

Tim Mackinnon
Gosh , I’m always impressed how you guys figure this stuff out.

Many thanks to all of you for coming up with a test case and solution(s).

It’s a great community.

Tim

Sent from my iPhone

On 13 Jul 2018, at 00:19, Nicolas Cellier <[hidden email]> wrote:

Isn't there a recent PR on opensmalltalk that address just this?

Le jeu. 12 juil. 2018 à 23:16, Max Leske <[hidden email]> a écrit :

Hi Norbert,

ZnClient new
5 seconds asDelay wait.

Cheers,
Max

Hi Max,

Norbert

Max

Norbert

Max,

No worries.

Norbert

Max

Norbert

Max

Hi Max,

Hi Norbert,

I’m running out of ideas

thanks,

Norbert

Cheers,
Max

MCWorkingCopy

Norbert

Norbert

Norbert

--
Cyril Ferlicot

Reply | Threaded
|

Sven Van Caekenberghe-2
In reply to this post by Max Leske

> On 12 Jul 2018, at 23:15, Max Leske <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi Norbert,
>
> I was able to reproduce the problem and then identify the culprit, although what I don't yet understand is how this is related to the changes in Zinc.
>
> Anyway, the problem is that the file stream isn't properly flushed in ZnUtils class>>streamFrom:to:size:. Adding outputStream flush as the last statement fixes your problem. Apparently, StandardFileStream / MultiByteFileStream perform a simple close() on the file which, according to the man page on close(), does not guarantee that the contents have all been written to file. In this case a flush is necessary because the entire file is immediately read again.
>
> Here's a smaller test case for you to play with Sven:
>
> ZnClient new
>     url: 'https://github.com/zweidenker/Parasol/archive/master.zip';
>     downloadTo: '/tmp/foobar.zip'.
> bytes := '/tmp/foobar.zip' asFileReference binaryReadStreamDo: [ :s | s contents ].
> Transcript open; show: bytes size; cr.
> 5 seconds asDelay wait.
> Transcript show: ('/tmp/foobar.zip' asFileReference binaryReadStreamDo: [ :s | s contents ]) size.
>
> The output in the Transcript should be:
>
> 315392
> 318420

Thanks for the effort, Max, but I am confused about your runnable snippet. For me (macOS, Pharo 7) is gives

as it should, reading the same file twice. Did I miss something or did you make a typo ?

As for #close, it is my understanding that Pharo did a #flush before doing a #close, but maybe that is no longer true with the new primitive streams, we'll have to check carefully.

Good catch. I'll think about your suggestion (there are already #flush messages sent, but indeed the last one would be missing).

> Cheers,
> Max
>
> On 12 Jul 2018, at 8:17, Norbert Hartl wrote:
>
> Am 12.07.2018 um 08:05 schrieb Max Leske [hidden email]:
>
> On 11 Jul 2018, at 22:44, Norbert Hartl wrote:
>
> Hi Max,
>
> I constructed a case that fails exactly like I experience it. Could you try? Just unpack the attachment on a linux, set PHARO_VM env to your executable and execute build.sh
>
> I will. Might take a couple of days though.
>
> No problem. I‘m happy if you find time.
>
> Norbert
>
> Max
>
> Norbert
>
> Am 10.07.2018 um 09:17 schrieb Max Leske [hidden email]:
>
> On 10 Jul 2018, at 8:48, Norbert Hartl wrote:
>
> Max,
>
> thanks for taking the effort.
>
> No worries.
>
> Am 10.07.2018 um 08:37 schrieb Max Leske [hidden email]:
>
> I did my best to reproduce the issue but didn't have any luck. I really need access to a Linux VM to debug this. So I'm praying that Apple fixes the access restrictions to kernel extensions in their next beta...
>
> BTW, Metacello uses ZnClient, which uses ZnFileSystemUtils, so there is indeed a chance that something goes wrong during download of the zip archive and that something may be tied to a difference in the versions of Zinc (although I still think that's unlikely).
>
> Yes there is potential but I don‘t see it. I take a fresh 6.1 image and load my project into. I‘m not sure but I think zinc 2.9.2 is loaded rather early in that process. So I wonder why it does not go wrong in the first phase. And also not if I load the test group within the first phase.
> It must be either the second Metacello invocation or the stopping, copying and starting of the image.
> I try to isolate this case more and provide a script that goes wrong on my machine. But it will take some time because I needed to stop trying to solve this as I wasted nearly two days on that already.
>
> Let me know once you have something and I'll try to help out.
>
> Norbert
>
> Max
>
> On 9 Jul 2018, at 19:43, Norbert Hartl wrote:
>
> Am 09.07.2018 um 19:10 schrieb Max Leske [hidden email]:
>
> I checked the Parasol Archive and it does not appear to be in Zip64 format (Metacello uses ZipArchive which can't cope with Zip64 but ZipArchive can read the Parasol zip). So my next guess is that there's either a problem with Metacello or Pharo in the way that ZipArchive is used (e.g. endianness problem or non-binary stream data). It would therefore be helpful to find out what happens in ZipArchive>>readFrom:, i.e. what kind of stream is passed / opened, is it binary, does the file exist and is it still the correct file.
>
> I couldn’t see anything obvious. The file in the debug message exists, it is a readable zip file. The way Metacello uses it it is a StandardFileStream. It switches it to binary in the code.
> But the only difference between a working and non-working build is the upgrade to zinc 2.9.2.
>
> Norbert
>
> I'd debug it myself but I can't run VirtualBox at the moment because I'm on the macOS beta and it won't start...
>
> Max
>
> On 9 Jul 2018, at 18:31, Norbert Hartl wrote:
>
> Hi Max,
>
> Am 09.07.2018 um 18:18 schrieb Max Leske [hidden email]:
>
> Hi Norbert,
>
> This is a bit of a guess, but it's possible that the archive that is downloaded from github is in Zip64 format and that the libraries for extracting Zip64 are missing on your Linux. That would of course contradict the experience that the same operation appears to work in 6.1.
>
> to be honest I don’t know what Zip64 format is. I thought the Zip classes are pure smalltalk for unpacking.
>
> Try extracting the archive manually on your Linux machine with the same method that Metacello uses (I assume, Metacello uses the ZipPlugin, which will probably use the system libraries).
>
> I have no ZipPlugin as library in any of my vms.
>
> But there are zips downloaded and unpacked. I start the image the first time loading all the code of my project. Then it is saved, copied to a new name and reopened to load the tests and then it fails. I did try to load the tests in the first run and then it works.
>
> I’m running out of ideas
>
> thanks,
>
> Norbert
>
> Cheers,
> Max
>
> On 9 Jul 2018, at 17:14, Norbert Hartl wrote:
>
> With the help of Esteban I got one step further. If I do
>
> MCWorkingCopy
> managersForClass: ZnFileSystemUtils
> do: [ :each | each ancestry initialize ]
>
> before loading my project it updates Zinc-FileSystem as well. Sadly it still does not work for me because I get
>
> Loading baseline of BaselineOfMobilityMap...
> ...RETRY->BaselineOfParasol
> ...RETRY->BaselineOfParasol[31mError: can't find EOCD position
>
> and I don’t know why. zip file is downloaded from github and present but it fails and only on my jenkins on linux. On my Mac this works.
>
> I try a few things but then I’m back on pharo6.1 for the time being :(
>
> Norbert
>
> Am 07.07.2018 um 13:28 schrieb Norbert Hartl [hidden email]:
>
> Really? I thought the same but then I didn’t believe it works like that.
>
> Anyway this would be very easy to solve. We just need to ask Sven if he is fine with doing an empty .16 version for Zinc-FileSystem and does an in-place version reset of 2.9.2 or a new 2.9.3. I’m not fully convinced that will solve it but the cost won’t be very high.
>
> Norbert
>
> Am 07.07.2018 um 13:22 schrieb Cyril Ferlicot [hidden email]:
>
> Need to investigate more. There are two .15 versions but there is 1 year in between (if you didn’t notice TheIntegratior.15 is from 2017). Just want to have more context information because I can only see that this is strange but lacking insight.
>
> I’m trying to figure out why it does not update Zinc-FileSystem. No matter what I do I cannot get Metacello to load the newer package. That would fix the issue because I’m loading 2.9.2 which should have Zinc-FileSystem-SVC.15 and not stay on the one included in the image.
>
> I think this is important for everyone that has a product based on 6.1 and that want to migrate someday to pharo7. This way it is impossible to do it step by step.
>
> If there is a package .15 in the image and a package .15 in the repo, I think Metacello will not update because it rely on the numbers to know when to update. If it find a .15 and currently have a .15 I think Metacello will think they are at the same version.
>
> Norbert
>
> --
> Cyril Ferlicot
> https://ferlicot.fr
>

Reply | Threaded
|

NorbertHartl
Sven,

for me the problem is only on linux

Norbert

> Am 13.07.2018 um 13:26 schrieb Sven Van Caekenberghe <[hidden email]>:
>
>
>
>> On 12 Jul 2018, at 23:15, Max Leske <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Norbert,
>>
>> I was able to reproduce the problem and then identify the culprit, although what I don't yet understand is how this is related to the changes in Zinc.
>>
>> Anyway, the problem is that the file stream isn't properly flushed in ZnUtils class>>streamFrom:to:size:. Adding outputStream flush as the last statement fixes your problem. Apparently, StandardFileStream / MultiByteFileStream perform a simple close() on the file which, according to the man page on close(), does not guarantee that the contents have all been written to file. In this case a flush is necessary because the entire file is immediately read again.
>>
>> Here's a smaller test case for you to play with Sven:
>>
>> ZnClient new
>>    url: 'https://github.com/zweidenker/Parasol/archive/master.zip';
>>    downloadTo: '/tmp/foobar.zip'.
>> bytes := '/tmp/foobar.zip' asFileReference binaryReadStreamDo: [ :s | s contents ].
>> Transcript open; show: bytes size; cr.
>> 5 seconds asDelay wait.
>> Transcript show: ('/tmp/foobar.zip' asFileReference binaryReadStreamDo: [ :s | s contents ]) size.
>>
>> The output in the Transcript should be:
>>
>> 315392
>> 318420
>
> Thanks for the effort, Max, but I am confused about your runnable snippet. For me (macOS, Pharo 7) is gives
>
> 318420
> 318420
>
> as it should, reading the same file twice. Did I miss something or did you make a typo ?
>
> As for #close, it is my understanding that Pharo did a #flush before doing a #close, but maybe that is no longer true with the new primitive streams, we'll have to check carefully.
>
> Good catch. I'll think about your suggestion (there are already #flush messages sent, but indeed the last one would be missing).
>
>> Cheers,
>> Max
>>
>> On 12 Jul 2018, at 8:17, Norbert Hartl wrote:
>>
>> Am 12.07.2018 um 08:05 schrieb Max Leske [hidden email]:
>>
>>
>> Hi Max,
>>
>> I constructed a case that fails exactly like I experience it. Could you try? Just unpack the attachment on a linux, set PHARO_VM env to your executable and execute build.sh
>>
>> I will. Might take a couple of days though.
>>
>> No problem. I‘m happy if you find time.
>>
>> Norbert
>>
>> Max
>>
>> Norbert
>>
>> Am 10.07.2018 um 09:17 schrieb Max Leske [hidden email]:
>>
>>
>> Max,
>>
>>
>> No worries.
>>
>> Am 10.07.2018 um 08:37 schrieb Max Leske [hidden email]:
>>
>> I did my best to reproduce the issue but didn't have any luck. I really need access to a Linux VM to debug this. So I'm praying that Apple fixes the access restrictions to kernel extensions in their next beta...
>>
>> BTW, Metacello uses ZnClient, which uses ZnFileSystemUtils, so there is indeed a chance that something goes wrong during download of the zip archive and that something may be tied to a difference in the versions of Zinc (although I still think that's unlikely).
>>
>> Yes there is potential but I don‘t see it. I take a fresh 6.1 image and load my project into. I‘m not sure but I think zinc 2.9.2 is loaded rather early in that process. So I wonder why it does not go wrong in the first phase. And also not if I load the test group within the first phase.
>> It must be either the second Metacello invocation or the stopping, copying and starting of the image.
>> I try to isolate this case more and provide a script that goes wrong on my machine. But it will take some time because I needed to stop trying to solve this as I wasted nearly two days on that already.
>>
>>
>> Norbert
>>
>> Max
>>
>>
>> Am 09.07.2018 um 19:10 schrieb Max Leske [hidden email]:
>>
>> I checked the Parasol Archive and it does not appear to be in Zip64 format (Metacello uses ZipArchive which can't cope with Zip64 but ZipArchive can read the Parasol zip). So my next guess is that there's either a problem with Metacello or Pharo in the way that ZipArchive is used (e.g. endianness problem or non-binary stream data). It would therefore be helpful to find out what happens in ZipArchive>>readFrom:, i.e. what kind of stream is passed / opened, is it binary, does the file exist and is it still the correct file.
>>
>> I couldn’t see anything obvious. The file in the debug message exists, it is a readable zip file. The way Metacello uses it it is a StandardFileStream. It switches it to binary in the code.
>> But the only difference between a working and non-working build is the upgrade to zinc 2.9.2.
>>
>> Norbert
>>
>> I'd debug it myself but I can't run VirtualBox at the moment because I'm on the macOS beta and it won't start...
>>
>> Max
>>
>> On 9 Jul 2018, at 18:31, Norbert Hartl wrote:
>>
>> Hi Max,
>>
>> Am 09.07.2018 um 18:18 schrieb Max Leske [hidden email]:
>>
>> Hi Norbert,
>>
>> This is a bit of a guess, but it's possible that the archive that is downloaded from github is in Zip64 format and that the libraries for extracting Zip64 are missing on your Linux. That would of course contradict the experience that the same operation appears to work in 6.1.
>>
>> to be honest I don’t know what Zip64 format is. I thought the Zip classes are pure smalltalk for unpacking.
>>
>> Try extracting the archive manually on your Linux machine with the same method that Metacello uses (I assume, Metacello uses the ZipPlugin, which will probably use the system libraries).
>>
>> I have no ZipPlugin as library in any of my vms.
>>
>> But there are zips downloaded and unpacked. I start the image the first time loading all the code of my project. Then it is saved, copied to a new name and reopened to load the tests and then it fails. I did try to load the tests in the first run and then it works.
>>
>> I’m running out of ideas
>>
>> thanks,
>>
>> Norbert
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Max
>>
>> On 9 Jul 2018, at 17:14, Norbert Hartl wrote:
>>
>> With the help of Esteban I got one step further. If I do
>>
>> MCWorkingCopy
>> managersForClass: ZnFileSystemUtils
>> do: [ :each | each ancestry initialize ]
>>
>> before loading my project it updates Zinc-FileSystem as well. Sadly it still does not work for me because I get
>>
>> Loading baseline of BaselineOfMobilityMap...
>> ...RETRY->BaselineOfParasol
>> ...RETRY->BaselineOfParasol[31mError: can't find EOCD position
>>
>> and I don’t know why. zip file is downloaded from github and present but it fails and only on my jenkins on linux. On my Mac this works.
>>
>> I try a few things but then I’m back on pharo6.1 for the time being :(
>>
>> Norbert
>>
>> Am 07.07.2018 um 13:28 schrieb Norbert Hartl [hidden email]:
>>
>> Really? I thought the same but then I didn’t believe it works like that.
>>
>> Anyway this would be very easy to solve. We just need to ask Sven if he is fine with doing an empty .16 version for Zinc-FileSystem and does an in-place version reset of 2.9.2 or a new 2.9.3. I’m not fully convinced that will solve it but the cost won’t be very high.
>>
>> Norbert
>>
>> Am 07.07.2018 um 13:22 schrieb Cyril Ferlicot [hidden email]:
>>
>> Need to investigate more. There are two .15 versions but there is 1 year in between (if you didn’t notice TheIntegratior.15 is from 2017). Just want to have more context information because I can only see that this is strange but lacking insight.
>>
>> I’m trying to figure out why it does not update Zinc-FileSystem. No matter what I do I cannot get Metacello to load the newer package. That would fix the issue because I’m loading 2.9.2 which should have Zinc-FileSystem-SVC.15 and not stay on the one included in the image.
>>
>> I think this is important for everyone that has a product based on 6.1 and that want to migrate someday to pharo7. This way it is impossible to do it step by step.
>>
>> If there is a package .15 in the image and a package .15 in the repo, I think Metacello will not update because it rely on the numbers to know when to update. If it find a .15 and currently have a .15 I think Metacello will think they are at the same version.
>>
>> Norbert
>>
>> --
>> Cyril Ferlicot
>> https://ferlicot.fr
>>
>
>

Reply | Threaded
|

Max Leske
On 13 Jul 2018, at 13:37, Norbert Hartl wrote:

> Sven,
>
> for me the problem is only on linux

Yes, exactly. The problem doesn't exist on macOS. I tested on Ubuntu
17.04 (32-bit).

>
> Norbert
>
>> Am 13.07.2018 um 13:26 schrieb Sven Van Caekenberghe <[hidden email]>:
>>
>>
>>
>>> On 12 Jul 2018, at 23:15, Max Leske <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi Norbert,
>>>
>>> I was able to reproduce the problem and then identify the culprit,
>>> although what I don't yet understand is how this is related to the
>>> changes in Zinc.
>>>
>>> Anyway, the problem is that the file stream isn't properly flushed
>>> in ZnUtils class>>streamFrom:to:size:. Adding outputStream flush as
>>> the last statement fixes your problem. Apparently,
>>> StandardFileStream / MultiByteFileStream perform a simple close() on
>>> the file which, according to the man page on close(), does not
>>> guarantee that the contents have all been written to file. In this
>>> case a flush is necessary because the entire file is immediately
>>> read again.
>>>
>>> Here's a smaller test case for you to play with Sven:
>>>
>>> ZnClient new
>>>    url: 'https://github.com/zweidenker/Parasol/archive/master.zip';
>>>    downloadTo: '/tmp/foobar.zip'.
>>> bytes := '/tmp/foobar.zip' asFileReference binaryReadStreamDo: [ :s
>>> | s contents ].
>>> Transcript open; show: bytes size; cr.
>>> 5 seconds asDelay wait.
>>> Transcript show: ('/tmp/foobar.zip' asFileReference
>>> binaryReadStreamDo: [ :s | s contents ]) size.
>>>
>>> The output in the Transcript should be:
>>>
>>> 315392
>>> 318420
>>
>> Thanks for the effort, Max, but I am confused about your runnable
>> snippet. For me (macOS, Pharo 7) is gives
>>
>> 318420
>> 318420
>>
>> as it should, reading the same file twice. Did I miss something or
>> did you make a typo ?
>>
>> As for #close, it is my understanding that Pharo did a #flush before
>> doing a #close, but maybe that is no longer true with the new
>> primitive streams, we'll have to check carefully.
>>
>> Good catch. I'll think about your suggestion (there are already
>> #flush messages sent, but indeed the last one would be missing).
>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Max
>>>
>>> On 12 Jul 2018, at 8:17, Norbert Hartl wrote:
>>>
>>> Am 12.07.2018 um 08:05 schrieb Max Leske [hidden email]:
>>>
>>> On 11 Jul 2018, at 22:44, Norbert Hartl wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi Max,
>>>
>>> I constructed a case that fails exactly like I experience it. Could
>>> you try? Just unpack the attachment on a linux, set PHARO_VM env to
>>> your executable and execute build.sh
>>>
>>> I will. Might take a couple of days though.
>>>
>>> No problem. I‘m happy if you find time.
>>>
>>> Norbert
>>>
>>> Max
>>>
>>> Norbert
>>>
>>> Am 10.07.2018 um 09:17 schrieb Max Leske [hidden email]:
>>>
>>>
>>> Max,
>>>
>>>
>>> No worries.
>>>
>>> Am 10.07.2018 um 08:37 schrieb Max Leske [hidden email]:
>>>
>>> I did my best to reproduce the issue but didn't have any luck. I
>>> really need access to a Linux VM to debug this. So I'm praying that
>>> Apple fixes the access restrictions to kernel extensions in their
>>> next beta...
>>>
>>> BTW, Metacello uses ZnClient, which uses ZnFileSystemUtils, so there
>>> is indeed a chance that something goes wrong during download of the
>>> zip archive and that something may be tied to a difference in the
>>> versions of Zinc (although I still think that's unlikely).
>>>
>>> Yes there is potential but I don‘t see it. I take a fresh 6.1
>>> image and load my project into. I‘m not sure but I think zinc
>>> 2.9.2 is loaded rather early in that process. So I wonder why it
>>> does not go wrong in the first phase. And also not if I load the
>>> test group within the first phase.
>>> It must be either the second Metacello invocation or the stopping,
>>> copying and starting of the image.
>>> I try to isolate this case more and provide a script that goes wrong
>>> on my machine. But it will take some time because I needed to stop
>>> trying to solve this as I wasted nearly two days on that already.
>>>
>>>
>>> Norbert
>>>
>>> Max
>>>
>>>
>>> Am 09.07.2018 um 19:10 schrieb Max Leske [hidden email]:
>>>
>>> I checked the Parasol Archive and it does not appear to be in Zip64
>>> format (Metacello uses ZipArchive which can't cope with Zip64 but
>>> ZipArchive can read the Parasol zip). So my next guess is that
>>> there's either a problem with Metacello or Pharo in the way that
>>> ZipArchive is used (e.g. endianness problem or non-binary stream
>>> data). It would therefore be helpful to find out what happens in
>>> ZipArchive>>readFrom:, i.e. what kind of stream is passed / opened,
>>> is it binary, does the file exist and is it still the correct file.
>>>
>>> I couldn’t see anything obvious. The file in the debug message
>>> exists, it is a readable zip file. The way Metacello uses it it is a
>>> StandardFileStream. It switches it to binary in the code.
>>> But the only difference between a working and non-working build is
>>> the upgrade to zinc 2.9.2.
>>>
>>> Norbert
>>>
>>> I'd debug it myself but I can't run VirtualBox at the moment because
>>> I'm on the macOS beta and it won't start...
>>>
>>> Max
>>>
>>>
>>> Hi Max,
>>>
>>> Am 09.07.2018 um 18:18 schrieb Max Leske [hidden email]:
>>>
>>> Hi Norbert,
>>>
>>> This is a bit of a guess, but it's possible that the archive that is
>>> downloaded from github is in Zip64 format and that the libraries for
>>> extracting Zip64 are missing on your Linux. That would of course
>>> contradict the experience that the same operation appears to work in
>>> 6.1.
>>>
>>> to be honest I don’t know what Zip64 format is. I thought the Zip
>>> classes are pure smalltalk for unpacking.
>>>
>>> Try extracting the archive manually on your Linux machine with the
>>> same method that Metacello uses (I assume, Metacello uses the
>>> ZipPlugin, which will probably use the system libraries).
>>>
>>>
>>> But there are zips downloaded and unpacked. I start the image the
>>> first time loading all the code of my project. Then it is saved,
>>> copied to a new name and reopened to load the tests and then it
>>> fails. I did try to load the tests in the first run and then it
>>> works.
>>>
>>>
>>> thanks,
>>>
>>> Norbert
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Max
>>>
>>> On 9 Jul 2018, at 17:14, Norbert Hartl wrote:
>>>
>>> With the help of Esteban I got one step further. If I do
>>>
>>> MCWorkingCopy
>>> managersForClass: ZnFileSystemUtils
>>> do: [ :each | each ancestry initialize ]
>>>
>>> before loading my project it updates Zinc-FileSystem as well. Sadly
>>> it still does not work for me because I get
>>>
>>> Loading baseline of BaselineOfMobilityMap...
>>> ...RETRY->BaselineOfParasol
>>> ...RETRY->BaselineOfParasol[31mError: can't find EOCD position
>>>
>>> and I don’t know why. zip file is downloaded from github and
>>> present but it fails and only on my jenkins on linux. On my Mac this
>>> works.
>>>
>>> I try a few things but then I’m back on pharo6.1 for the time
>>> being :(
>>>
>>> Norbert
>>>
>>> Am 07.07.2018 um 13:28 schrieb Norbert Hartl [hidden email]:
>>>
>>> Really? I thought the same but then I didn’t believe it works like
>>> that.
>>>
>>> Anyway this would be very easy to solve. We just need to ask Sven if
>>> he is fine with doing an empty .16 version for Zinc-FileSystem and
>>> does an in-place version reset of 2.9.2 or a new 2.9.3. I’m not
>>> fully convinced that will solve it but the cost won’t be very
>>> high.
>>>
>>> Norbert
>>>
>>> Am 07.07.2018 um 13:22 schrieb Cyril Ferlicot
>>> [hidden email]:
>>>
>>> Need to investigate more. There are two .15 versions but there is 1
>>> year in between (if you didn’t notice TheIntegratior.15 is from
>>> 2017). Just want to have more context information because I can only
>>> see that this is strange but lacking insight.
>>>
>>> I’m trying to figure out why it does not update Zinc-FileSystem.
>>> No matter what I do I cannot get Metacello to load the newer
>>> package. That would fix the issue because I’m loading 2.9.2 which
>>> should have Zinc-FileSystem-SVC.15 and not stay on the one included
>>> in the image.
>>>
>>> I think this is important for everyone that has a product based on
>>> 6.1 and that want to migrate someday to pharo7. This way it is
>>> impossible to do it step by step.
>>>
>>> If there is a package .15 in the image and a package .15 in the
>>> repo, I think Metacello will not update because it rely on the
>>> numbers to know when to update. If it find a .15 and currently have
>>> a .15 I think Metacello will think they are at the same version.
>>>
>>> Norbert
>>>
>>> --
>>> Cyril Ferlicot
>>> https://ferlicot.fr
>>>
>>
>>

Reply | Threaded
|

Max Leske
In reply to this post by Nicolas Cellier
Hi Nicolas,

The PR you are referring [1] to concerns a missing fflush() when
truncating a file. I believe that is a different case to this one, as a)
the file is not truncated and b) in the case of truncation it is an
explicit requirement that the file be empty before the first write
happens. In our case, and in general, it depends on the situation
whether flushing must occur immediately, e.g. because the file will be
read again immediately, or not, e.g. when writing a data to a backup
file.

Thanks for the pointer though.

Cheers,
Max

[1] https://github.com/OpenSmalltalk/opensmalltalk-vm/pull/271

On 12 Jul 2018, at 23:19, Nicolas Cellier wrote:

> Isn't there a recent PR on opensmalltalk that address just this?
>
> Le jeu. 12 juil. 2018 à 23:16, Max Leske <[hidden email]> a
> écrit :
>
>> Hi Norbert,
>>
>> I was able to reproduce the problem and then identify the culprit,
>> although what I don't yet understand is how this is related to the
>> changes
>> in Zinc.
>>
>> Anyway, the problem is that the file stream isn't properly flushed in
>> ZnUtils class>>streamFrom:to:size:. Adding outputStream flush as the
>> last
>> statement fixes your problem. Apparently, StandardFileStream /
>> MultiByteFileStream perform a simple close() on the file which,
>> according
>> to the man page on close(), does *not* guarantee that the contents
>> have
>> all been written to file. In this case a flush is necessary because
>> the
>> entire file is immediately read again.
>>
>> Here's a smaller test case for you to play with Sven:
>>
>> ZnClient new
>>     url: 'https://github.com/zweidenker/Parasol/archive/master.zip';
>>     downloadTo: '/tmp/foobar.zip'.
>> bytes := '/tmp/foobar.zip' asFileReference binaryReadStreamDo: [ :s |
>> s contents ].
>> Transcript open; show: bytes size; cr.
>> 5 seconds asDelay wait.
>> Transcript show: ('/tmp/foobar.zip' asFileReference
>> binaryReadStreamDo: [ :s | s contents ]) size.
>>
>> The output in the Transcript should be:
>>
>> 315392
>> 318420
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Max
>>
>> On 12 Jul 2018, at 8:17, Norbert Hartl wrote:
>>
>> Am 12.07.2018 um 08:05 schrieb Max Leske [hidden email]:
>>
>>
>> Hi Max,
>>
>> I constructed a case that fails exactly like I experience it. Could
>> you
>> try? Just unpack the attachment on a linux, set PHARO_VM env to your
>> executable and execute build.sh
>>
>> I will. Might take a couple of days though.
>>
>> No problem. I‘m happy if you find time.
>>
>> Norbert
>>
>> Max
>>
>> Norbert
>>
>> Am 10.07.2018 um 09:17 schrieb Max Leske [hidden email]:
>>
>>
>> Max,
>>
>>
>> No worries.
>>
>> Am 10.07.2018 um 08:37 schrieb Max Leske [hidden email]:
>>
>> I did my best to reproduce the issue but didn't have any luck. I
>> really
>> need access to a Linux VM to debug this. So I'm praying that Apple
>> fixes
>> the access restrictions to kernel extensions in their next beta...
>>
>> BTW, Metacello uses ZnClient, which uses ZnFileSystemUtils, so there
>> is
>> indeed a chance that something goes wrong during download of the zip
>> archive and that something may be tied to a difference in the
>> versions of
>> Zinc (although I still think that's unlikely).
>>
>> Yes there is potential but I don‘t see it. I take a fresh 6.1 image
>> and
>> load my project into. I‘m not sure but I think zinc 2.9.2 is loaded
>> rather
>> early in that process. So I wonder why it does not go wrong in the
>> first
>> phase. And also not if I load the test group within the first phase.
>> It must be either the second Metacello invocation or the stopping,
>> copying
>> and starting of the image.
>> I try to isolate this case more and provide a script that goes wrong
>> on my
>> machine. But it will take some time because I needed to stop trying
>> to
>> solve this as I wasted nearly two days on that already.
>>
>>
>> Norbert
>>
>> Max
>>
>>
>> Am 09.07.2018 um 19:10 schrieb Max Leske [hidden email]:
>>
>> I checked the Parasol Archive and it does not appear to be in Zip64
>> format
>> (Metacello uses ZipArchive which can't cope with Zip64 but ZipArchive
>> can
>> read the Parasol zip). So my next guess is that there's either a
>> problem
>> with Metacello or Pharo in the way that ZipArchive is used (e.g.
>> endianness
>> problem or non-binary stream data). It would therefore be helpful to
>> find
>> out what happens in ZipArchive>>readFrom:, i.e. what kind of stream
>> is
>> passed / opened, is it binary, does the file exist and is it still
>> the
>> correct file.
>>
>> I couldn’t see anything obvious. The file in the debug message
>> exists, it
>> is a readable zip file. The way Metacello uses it it is a
>> StandardFileStream. It switches it to binary in the code.
>> But the only difference between a working and non-working build is
>> the
>> upgrade to zinc 2.9.2.
>>
>> Norbert
>>
>> I'd debug it myself but I can't run VirtualBox at the moment because
>> I'm
>> on the macOS beta and it won't start...
>>
>> Max
>>
>> On 9 Jul 2018, at 18:31, Norbert Hartl wrote:
>>
>> Hi Max,
>>
>> Am 09.07.2018 um 18:18 schrieb Max Leske [hidden email]:
>>
>> Hi Norbert,
>>
>> This is a bit of a guess, but it's possible that the archive that is
>> downloaded from github is in Zip64 format and that the libraries for
>> extracting Zip64 are missing on your Linux. That would of course
>> contradict
>> the experience that the same operation appears to work in 6.1.
>>
>> to be honest I don’t know what Zip64 format is. I thought the Zip
>> classes
>> are pure smalltalk for unpacking.
>>
>> Try extracting the archive manually on your Linux machine with the
>> same
>> method that Metacello uses (I assume, Metacello uses the ZipPlugin,
>> which
>> will probably use the system libraries).
>>
>> I have no ZipPlugin as library in any of my vms.
>>
>> But there are zips downloaded and unpacked. I start the image the
>> first
>> time loading all the code of my project. Then it is saved, copied to
>> a new
>> name and reopened to load the tests and then it fails. I did try to
>> load
>> the tests in the first run and then it works.
>>
>> I’m running out of ideas
>>
>> thanks,
>>
>> Norbert
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Max
>>
>> On 9 Jul 2018, at 17:14, Norbert Hartl wrote:
>>
>> With the help of Esteban I got one step further. If I do
>>
>> MCWorkingCopy
>> managersForClass: ZnFileSystemUtils
>> do: [ :each | each ancestry initialize ]
>>
>> before loading my project it updates Zinc-FileSystem as well. Sadly
>> it
>> still does not work for me because I get
>>
>> Loading baseline of BaselineOfMobilityMap...
>> ...RETRY->BaselineOfParasol
>> ...RETRY->BaselineOfParasol[31mError: can't find EOCD position
>>
>> and I don’t know why. zip file is downloaded from github and
>> present but
>> it fails and only on my jenkins on linux. On my Mac this works.
>>
>> I try a few things but then I’m back on pharo6.1 for the time being
>> :(
>>
>> Norbert
>>
>> Am 07.07.2018 um 13:28 schrieb Norbert Hartl [hidden email]:
>>
>> Really? I thought the same but then I didn’t believe it works like
>> that.
>>
>> Anyway this would be very easy to solve. We just need to ask Sven if
>> he is
>> fine with doing an empty .16 version for Zinc-FileSystem and does an
>> in-place version reset of 2.9.2 or a new 2.9.3. I’m not fully
>> convinced
>> that will solve it but the cost won’t be very high.
>>
>> Norbert
>>
>> Am 07.07.2018 um 13:22 schrieb Cyril Ferlicot
>> [hidden email]:
>>
>> Need to investigate more. There are two .15 versions but there is 1
>> year
>> in between (if you didn’t notice TheIntegratior.15 is from 2017).
>> Just want
>> to have more context information because I can only see that this is
>> strange but lacking insight.
>>
>> I’m trying to figure out why it does not update Zinc-FileSystem. No
>> matter
>> what I do I cannot get Metacello to load the newer package. That
>> would fix
>> the issue because I’m loading 2.9.2 which should have
>> Zinc-FileSystem-SVC.15 and not stay on the one included in the image.
>>
>> I think this is important for everyone that has a product based on
>> 6.1 and
>> that want to migrate someday to pharo7. This way it is impossible to
>> do it
>> step by step.
>>
>> If there is a package .15 in the image and a package .15 in the repo,
>> I
>> think Metacello will not update because it rely on the numbers to
>> know when
>> to update. If it find a .15 and currently have a .15 I think
>> Metacello will
>> think they are at the same version.
>>
>> Norbert
>>
>> --
>> Cyril Ferlicot
>> https://ferlicot.fr
>>
>>

Reply | Threaded
|

NorbertHartl
Max,

what do you think will be a proper fix for this? I cannot see if this is a vm problem or not.

Norbert

> Am 14.07.2018 um 08:25 schrieb Max Leske <[hidden email]>:
>
> Hi Nicolas,
>
> The PR you are referring [1] to concerns a missing fflush() when truncating a file. I believe that is a different case to this one, as a) the file is not truncated and b) in the case of truncation it is an explicit requirement that the file be empty before the first write happens. In our case, and in general, it depends on the situation whether flushing must occur immediately, e.g. because the file will be read again immediately, or not, e.g. when writing a data to a backup file.
>
> Thanks for the pointer though.
>
>
> Cheers,
> Max
>
>
> [1] https://github.com/OpenSmalltalk/opensmalltalk-vm/pull/271
>
>> On 12 Jul 2018, at 23:19, Nicolas Cellier wrote:
>>
>> Isn't there a recent PR on opensmalltalk that address just this?
>>
>>> Le jeu. 12 juil. 2018 à 23:16, Max Leske <[hidden email]> a écrit :
>>>
>>> Hi Norbert,
>>>
>>> I was able to reproduce the problem and then identify the culprit,
>>> although what I don't yet understand is how this is related to the changes
>>> in Zinc.
>>>
>>> Anyway, the problem is that the file stream isn't properly flushed in
>>> ZnUtils class>>streamFrom:to:size:. Adding outputStream flush as the last
>>> statement fixes your problem. Apparently, StandardFileStream /
>>> MultiByteFileStream perform a simple close() on the file which, according
>>> to the man page on close(), does *not* guarantee that the contents have
>>> all been written to file. In this case a flush is necessary because the
>>> entire file is immediately read again.
>>>
>>> Here's a smaller test case for you to play with Sven:
>>>
>>> ZnClient new
>>>    url: 'https://github.com/zweidenker/Parasol/archive/master.zip';
>>>    downloadTo: '/tmp/foobar.zip'.
>>> bytes := '/tmp/foobar.zip' asFileReference binaryReadStreamDo: [ :s | s contents ].
>>> Transcript open; show: bytes size; cr.
>>> 5 seconds asDelay wait.
>>> Transcript show: ('/tmp/foobar.zip' asFileReference binaryReadStreamDo: [ :s | s contents ]) size.
>>>
>>> The output in the Transcript should be:
>>>
>>> 315392
>>> 318420
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Max
>>>
>>> On 12 Jul 2018, at 8:17, Norbert Hartl wrote:
>>>
>>> Am 12.07.2018 um 08:05 schrieb Max Leske [hidden email]:
>>>
>>> On 11 Jul 2018, at 22:44, Norbert Hartl wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi Max,
>>>
>>> I constructed a case that fails exactly like I experience it. Could you
>>> try? Just unpack the attachment on a linux, set PHARO_VM env to your
>>> executable and execute build.sh
>>>
>>> I will. Might take a couple of days though.
>>>
>>> No problem. I‘m happy if you find time.
>>>
>>> Norbert
>>>
>>> Max
>>>
>>> Norbert
>>>
>>> Am 10.07.2018 um 09:17 schrieb Max Leske [hidden email]:
>>>
>>>
>>> Max,
>>>
>>>
>>> No worries.
>>>
>>> Am 10.07.2018 um 08:37 schrieb Max Leske [hidden email]:
>>>
>>> I did my best to reproduce the issue but didn't have any luck. I really
>>> need access to a Linux VM to debug this. So I'm praying that Apple fixes
>>> the access restrictions to kernel extensions in their next beta...
>>>
>>> BTW, Metacello uses ZnClient, which uses ZnFileSystemUtils, so there is
>>> indeed a chance that something goes wrong during download of the zip
>>> archive and that something may be tied to a difference in the versions of
>>> Zinc (although I still think that's unlikely).
>>>
>>> Yes there is potential but I don‘t see it. I take a fresh 6.1 image and
>>> load my project into. I‘m not sure but I think zinc 2.9.2 is loaded rather
>>> early in that process. So I wonder why it does not go wrong in the first
>>> phase. And also not if I load the test group within the first phase.
>>> It must be either the second Metacello invocation or the stopping, copying
>>> and starting of the image.
>>> I try to isolate this case more and provide a script that goes wrong on my
>>> machine. But it will take some time because I needed to stop trying to
>>> solve this as I wasted nearly two days on that already.
>>>
>>>
>>> Norbert
>>>
>>> Max
>>>
>>>
>>> Am 09.07.2018 um 19:10 schrieb Max Leske [hidden email]:
>>>
>>> I checked the Parasol Archive and it does not appear to be in Zip64 format
>>> (Metacello uses ZipArchive which can't cope with Zip64 but ZipArchive can
>>> read the Parasol zip). So my next guess is that there's either a problem
>>> with Metacello or Pharo in the way that ZipArchive is used (e.g. endianness
>>> problem or non-binary stream data). It would therefore be helpful to find
>>> out what happens in ZipArchive>>readFrom:, i.e. what kind of stream is
>>> passed / opened, is it binary, does the file exist and is it still the
>>> correct file.
>>>
>>> I couldn’t see anything obvious. The file in the debug message exists, it
>>> is a readable zip file. The way Metacello uses it it is a
>>> StandardFileStream. It switches it to binary in the code.
>>> But the only difference between a working and non-working build is the
>>> upgrade to zinc 2.9.2.
>>>
>>> Norbert
>>>
>>> I'd debug it myself but I can't run VirtualBox at the moment because I'm
>>> on the macOS beta and it won't start...
>>>
>>> Max
>>>
>>>
>>> Hi Max,
>>>
>>> Am 09.07.2018 um 18:18 schrieb Max Leske [hidden email]:
>>>
>>> Hi Norbert,
>>>
>>> This is a bit of a guess, but it's possible that the archive that is
>>> downloaded from github is in Zip64 format and that the libraries for
>>> extracting Zip64 are missing on your Linux. That would of course contradict
>>> the experience that the same operation appears to work in 6.1.
>>>
>>> to be honest I don’t know what Zip64 format is. I thought the Zip classes
>>> are pure smalltalk for unpacking.
>>>
>>> Try extracting the archive manually on your Linux machine with the same
>>> method that Metacello uses (I assume, Metacello uses the ZipPlugin, which
>>> will probably use the system libraries).
>>>
>>>
>>> But there are zips downloaded and unpacked. I start the image the first
>>> time loading all the code of my project. Then it is saved, copied to a new
>>> name and reopened to load the tests and then it fails. I did try to load
>>> the tests in the first run and then it works.
>>>
>>>
>>> thanks,
>>>
>>> Norbert
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Max
>>>
>>> On 9 Jul 2018, at 17:14, Norbert Hartl wrote:
>>>
>>> With the help of Esteban I got one step further. If I do
>>>
>>> MCWorkingCopy
>>> managersForClass: ZnFileSystemUtils
>>> do: [ :each | each ancestry initialize ]
>>>
>>> before loading my project it updates Zinc-FileSystem as well. Sadly it
>>> still does not work for me because I get
>>>
>>> Loading baseline of BaselineOfMobilityMap...
>>> ...RETRY->BaselineOfParasol
>>> ...RETRY->BaselineOfParasol[31mError: can't find EOCD position
>>>
>>> and I don’t know why. zip file is downloaded from github and present but
>>> it fails and only on my jenkins on linux. On my Mac this works.
>>>
>>> I try a few things but then I’m back on pharo6.1 for the time being :(
>>>
>>> Norbert
>>>
>>> Am 07.07.2018 um 13:28 schrieb Norbert Hartl [hidden email]:
>>>
>>> Really? I thought the same but then I didn’t believe it works like that.
>>>
>>> Anyway this would be very easy to solve. We just need to ask Sven if he is
>>> fine with doing an empty .16 version for Zinc-FileSystem and does an
>>> in-place version reset of 2.9.2 or a new 2.9.3. I’m not fully convinced
>>> that will solve it but the cost won’t be very high.
>>>
>>> Norbert
>>>
>>> Am 07.07.2018 um 13:22 schrieb Cyril Ferlicot [hidden email]:
>>>
>>> Need to investigate more. There are two .15 versions but there is 1 year
>>> in between (if you didn’t notice TheIntegratior.15 is from 2017). Just want
>>> to have more context information because I can only see that this is
>>> strange but lacking insight.
>>>
>>> I’m trying to figure out why it does not update Zinc-FileSystem. No matter
>>> what I do I cannot get Metacello to load the newer package. That would fix
>>> the issue because I’m loading 2.9.2 which should have
>>> Zinc-FileSystem-SVC.15 and not stay on the one included in the image.
>>>
>>> I think this is important for everyone that has a product based on 6.1 and
>>> that want to migrate someday to pharo7. This way it is impossible to do it
>>> step by step.
>>>
>>> If there is a package .15 in the image and a package .15 in the repo, I
>>> think Metacello will not update because it rely on the numbers to know when
>>> to update. If it find a .15 and currently have a .15 I think Metacello will
>>> think they are at the same version.
>>>
>>> Norbert
>>>
>>> --
>>> Cyril Ferlicot
>>> https://ferlicot.fr
>>>
>>>
>
>
>

Reply | Threaded
|

Max Leske
On 21 Jul 2018, at 12:07, Norbert Hartl wrote:

> Max,
>
> what do you think will be a proper fix for this? I cannot see if this
> is a vm problem or not.

In my opinion it should be fixed in Zinc as there's no way for the user
of Zinc to flush the stream. The alternative would be for Zinc to expose
a method or setting that allows the user to specify the expected
behaviour.
I do not think that this should be handled by the VM plugin or the
stream class, as there are indeed different behaviours that make sense.

Cheers,
Max

>
> Norbert
>
>> Am 14.07.2018 um 08:25 schrieb Max Leske <[hidden email]>:
>>
>> Hi Nicolas,
>>
>> The PR you are referring [1] to concerns a missing fflush() when
>> truncating a file. I believe that is a different case to this one, as
>> a) the file is not truncated and b) in the case of truncation it is
>> an explicit requirement that the file be empty before the first write
>> happens. In our case, and in general, it depends on the situation
>> whether flushing must occur immediately, e.g. because the file will
>> be read again immediately, or not, e.g. when writing a data to a
>> backup file.
>>
>> Thanks for the pointer though.
>>
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Max
>>
>>
>> [1] https://github.com/OpenSmalltalk/opensmalltalk-vm/pull/271
>>
>>> On 12 Jul 2018, at 23:19, Nicolas Cellier wrote:
>>>
>>> Isn't there a recent PR on opensmalltalk that address just this?
>>>
>>>> Le jeu. 12 juil. 2018 à 23:16, Max Leske <[hidden email]> a
>>>> écrit :
>>>>
>>>> Hi Norbert,
>>>>
>>>> I was able to reproduce the problem and then identify the culprit,
>>>> although what I don't yet understand is how this is related to the
>>>> changes
>>>> in Zinc.
>>>>
>>>> Anyway, the problem is that the file stream isn't properly flushed
>>>> in
>>>> ZnUtils class>>streamFrom:to:size:. Adding outputStream flush as
>>>> the last
>>>> statement fixes your problem. Apparently, StandardFileStream /
>>>> MultiByteFileStream perform a simple close() on the file which,
>>>> according
>>>> to the man page on close(), does *not* guarantee that the contents
>>>> have
>>>> all been written to file. In this case a flush is necessary because
>>>> the
>>>> entire file is immediately read again.
>>>>
>>>> Here's a smaller test case for you to play with Sven:
>>>>
>>>> ZnClient new
>>>>    url: 'https://github.com/zweidenker/Parasol/archive/master.zip';
>>>>    downloadTo: '/tmp/foobar.zip'.
>>>> bytes := '/tmp/foobar.zip' asFileReference binaryReadStreamDo: [ :s
>>>> | s contents ].
>>>> Transcript open; show: bytes size; cr.
>>>> 5 seconds asDelay wait.
>>>> Transcript show: ('/tmp/foobar.zip' asFileReference
>>>> binaryReadStreamDo: [ :s | s contents ]) size.
>>>>
>>>> The output in the Transcript should be:
>>>>
>>>> 315392
>>>> 318420
>>>>
>>>> Cheers,
>>>> Max
>>>>
>>>> On 12 Jul 2018, at 8:17, Norbert Hartl wrote:
>>>>
>>>> Am 12.07.2018 um 08:05 schrieb Max Leske [hidden email]:
>>>>
>>>> On 11 Jul 2018, at 22:44, Norbert Hartl wrote:
>>>>
>>>> Hi Max,
>>>>
>>>> I constructed a case that fails exactly like I experience it. Could
>>>> you
>>>> try? Just unpack the attachment on a linux, set PHARO_VM env to
>>>> your
>>>> executable and execute build.sh
>>>>
>>>> I will. Might take a couple of days though.
>>>>
>>>> No problem. I‘m happy if you find time.
>>>>
>>>> Norbert
>>>>
>>>> Max
>>>>
>>>> Norbert
>>>>
>>>> Am 10.07.2018 um 09:17 schrieb Max Leske [hidden email]:
>>>>
>>>> On 10 Jul 2018, at 8:48, Norbert Hartl wrote:
>>>>
>>>> Max,
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> No worries.
>>>>
>>>> Am 10.07.2018 um 08:37 schrieb Max Leske [hidden email]:
>>>>
>>>> I did my best to reproduce the issue but didn't have any luck. I
>>>> really
>>>> need access to a Linux VM to debug this. So I'm praying that Apple
>>>> fixes
>>>> the access restrictions to kernel extensions in their next beta...
>>>>
>>>> BTW, Metacello uses ZnClient, which uses ZnFileSystemUtils, so
>>>> there is
>>>> indeed a chance that something goes wrong during download of the
>>>> zip
>>>> archive and that something may be tied to a difference in the
>>>> versions of
>>>> Zinc (although I still think that's unlikely).
>>>>
>>>> Yes there is potential but I don‘t see it. I take a fresh 6.1
>>>> image and
>>>> load my project into. I‘m not sure but I think zinc 2.9.2 is
>>>> loaded rather
>>>> early in that process. So I wonder why it does not go wrong in the
>>>> first
>>>> phase. And also not if I load the test group within the first
>>>> phase.
>>>> It must be either the second Metacello invocation or the stopping,
>>>> copying
>>>> and starting of the image.
>>>> I try to isolate this case more and provide a script that goes
>>>> wrong on my
>>>> machine. But it will take some time because I needed to stop trying
>>>> to
>>>> solve this as I wasted nearly two days on that already.
>>>>
>>>> Let me know once you have something and I'll try to help out.
>>>>
>>>> Norbert
>>>>
>>>> Max
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> Am 09.07.2018 um 19:10 schrieb Max Leske [hidden email]:
>>>>
>>>> I checked the Parasol Archive and it does not appear to be in Zip64
>>>> format
>>>> (Metacello uses ZipArchive which can't cope with Zip64 but
>>>> ZipArchive can
>>>> read the Parasol zip). So my next guess is that there's either a
>>>> problem
>>>> with Metacello or Pharo in the way that ZipArchive is used (e.g.
>>>> endianness
>>>> problem or non-binary stream data). It would therefore be helpful
>>>> to find
>>>> out what happens in ZipArchive>>readFrom:, i.e. what kind of stream
>>>> is
>>>> passed / opened, is it binary, does the file exist and is it still
>>>> the
>>>> correct file.
>>>>
>>>> I couldn’t see anything obvious. The file in the debug message
>>>> exists, it
>>>> is a readable zip file. The way Metacello uses it it is a
>>>> StandardFileStream. It switches it to binary in the code.
>>>> But the only difference between a working and non-working build is
>>>> the
>>>> upgrade to zinc 2.9.2.
>>>>
>>>> Norbert
>>>>
>>>> I'd debug it myself but I can't run VirtualBox at the moment
>>>> because I'm
>>>> on the macOS beta and it won't start...
>>>>
>>>> Max
>>>>
>>>> On 9 Jul 2018, at 18:31, Norbert Hartl wrote:
>>>>
>>>> Hi Max,
>>>>
>>>> Am 09.07.2018 um 18:18 schrieb Max Leske [hidden email]:
>>>>
>>>> Hi Norbert,
>>>>
>>>> This is a bit of a guess, but it's possible that the archive that
>>>> is
>>>> downloaded from github is in Zip64 format and that the libraries
>>>> for
>>>> extracting Zip64 are missing on your Linux. That would of course
>>>> contradict
>>>> the experience that the same operation appears to work in 6.1.
>>>>
>>>> to be honest I don’t know what Zip64 format is. I thought the Zip
>>>> classes
>>>> are pure smalltalk for unpacking.
>>>>
>>>> Try extracting the archive manually on your Linux machine with the
>>>> same
>>>> method that Metacello uses (I assume, Metacello uses the ZipPlugin,
>>>> which
>>>> will probably use the system libraries).
>>>>
>>>> I have no ZipPlugin as library in any of my vms.
>>>>
>>>> But there are zips downloaded and unpacked. I start the image the
>>>> first
>>>> time loading all the code of my project. Then it is saved, copied
>>>> to a new
>>>> name and reopened to load the tests and then it fails. I did try to
>>>> load
>>>> the tests in the first run and then it works.
>>>>
>>>> I’m running out of ideas
>>>>
>>>> thanks,
>>>>
>>>> Norbert
>>>>
>>>> Cheers,
>>>> Max
>>>>
>>>> On 9 Jul 2018, at 17:14, Norbert Hartl wrote:
>>>>
>>>> With the help of Esteban I got one step further. If I do
>>>>
>>>> MCWorkingCopy
>>>> managersForClass: ZnFileSystemUtils
>>>> do: [ :each | each ancestry initialize ]
>>>>
>>>> before loading my project it updates Zinc-FileSystem as well. Sadly
>>>> it
>>>> still does not work for me because I get
>>>>
>>>> Loading baseline of BaselineOfMobilityMap...
>>>> ...RETRY->BaselineOfParasol
>>>> ...RETRY->BaselineOfParasol[31mError: can't find EOCD position
>>>>
>>>> and I don’t know why. zip file is downloaded from github and
>>>> present but
>>>> it fails and only on my jenkins on linux. On my Mac this works.
>>>>
>>>> I try a few things but then I’m back on pharo6.1 for the time
>>>> being :(
>>>>
>>>> Norbert
>>>>
>>>> Am 07.07.2018 um 13:28 schrieb Norbert Hartl [hidden email]:
>>>>
>>>> Really? I thought the same but then I didn’t believe it works
>>>> like that.
>>>>
>>>> Anyway this would be very easy to solve. We just need to ask Sven
>>>> if he is
>>>> fine with doing an empty .16 version for Zinc-FileSystem and does
>>>> an
>>>> in-place version reset of 2.9.2 or a new 2.9.3. I’m not fully
>>>> convinced
>>>> that will solve it but the cost won’t be very high.
>>>>
>>>> Norbert
>>>>
>>>> Am 07.07.2018 um 13:22 schrieb Cyril Ferlicot
>>>> [hidden email]:
>>>>
>>>> Need to investigate more. There are two .15 versions but there is 1
>>>> year
>>>> in between (if you didn’t notice TheIntegratior.15 is from 2017).
>>>> Just want
>>>> to have more context information because I can only see that this
>>>> is
>>>> strange but lacking insight.
>>>>
>>>> I’m trying to figure out why it does not update Zinc-FileSystem.
>>>> No matter
>>>> what I do I cannot get Metacello to load the newer package. That
>>>> would fix
>>>> the issue because I’m loading 2.9.2 which should have
>>>> Zinc-FileSystem-SVC.15 and not stay on the one included in the
>>>> image.
>>>>
>>>> I think this is important for everyone that has a product based on
>>>> 6.1 and
>>>> that want to migrate someday to pharo7. This way it is impossible
>>>> to do it
>>>> step by step.
>>>>
>>>> If there is a package .15 in the image and a package .15 in the
>>>> repo, I
>>>> think Metacello will not update because it rely on the numbers to
>>>> know when
>>>> to update. If it find a .15 and currently have a .15 I think
>>>> Metacello will
>>>> think they are at the same version.
>>>>
>>>> Norbert
>>>>
>>>> --
>>>> Cyril Ferlicot
>>>> https://ferlicot.fr
>>>>
>>>>
>>
>>
>>

Reply | Threaded
|

Sven Van Caekenberghe-2
I tried running Max's snippet (Pharo 6.1 on Ubuntu 16.04 LTS),

ZnClient new
5 seconds asDelay wait.

And it gives me,

For me there is nothing nothing to see here ... and I have the impression we are all talking about different things.

> On 21 Jul 2018, at 14:18, Max Leske <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On 21 Jul 2018, at 12:07, Norbert Hartl wrote:
>
>> Max,
>>
>> what do you think will be a proper fix for this? I cannot see if this is a vm problem or not.
>
> In my opinion it should be fixed in Zinc as there's no way for the user of Zinc to flush the stream. The alternative would be for Zinc to expose a method or setting that allows the user to specify the expected behaviour.
> I do not think that this should be handled by the VM plugin or the stream class, as there are indeed different behaviours that make sense.
>
> Cheers,
> Max
>
>>
>> Norbert
>>
>>> Am 14.07.2018 um 08:25 schrieb Max Leske <[hidden email]>:
>>>
>>> Hi Nicolas,
>>>
>>> The PR you are referring [1] to concerns a missing fflush() when truncating a file. I believe that is a different case to this one, as a) the file is not truncated and b) in the case of truncation it is an explicit requirement that the file be empty before the first write happens. In our case, and in general, it depends on the situation whether flushing must occur immediately, e.g. because the file will be read again immediately, or not, e.g. when writing a data to a backup file.
>>>
>>> Thanks for the pointer though.
>>>
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Max
>>>
>>>
>>> [1] https://github.com/OpenSmalltalk/opensmalltalk-vm/pull/271
>>>
>>>> On 12 Jul 2018, at 23:19, Nicolas Cellier wrote:
>>>>
>>>> Isn't there a recent PR on opensmalltalk that address just this?
>>>>
>>>>> Le jeu. 12 juil. 2018 à 23:16, Max Leske <[hidden email]> a écrit :
>>>>>
>>>>> Hi Norbert,
>>>>>
>>>>> I was able to reproduce the problem and then identify the culprit,
>>>>> although what I don't yet understand is how this is related to the changes
>>>>> in Zinc.
>>>>>
>>>>> Anyway, the problem is that the file stream isn't properly flushed in
>>>>> ZnUtils class>>streamFrom:to:size:. Adding outputStream flush as the last
>>>>> statement fixes your problem. Apparently, StandardFileStream /
>>>>> MultiByteFileStream perform a simple close() on the file which, according
>>>>> to the man page on close(), does *not* guarantee that the contents have
>>>>> all been written to file. In this case a flush is necessary because the
>>>>> entire file is immediately read again.
>>>>>
>>>>> Here's a smaller test case for you to play with Sven:
>>>>>
>>>>> ZnClient new
>>>>>   url: 'https://github.com/zweidenker/Parasol/archive/master.zip';
>>>>>   downloadTo: '/tmp/foobar.zip'.
>>>>> bytes := '/tmp/foobar.zip' asFileReference binaryReadStreamDo: [ :s | s contents ].
>>>>> Transcript open; show: bytes size; cr.
>>>>> 5 seconds asDelay wait.
>>>>> Transcript show: ('/tmp/foobar.zip' asFileReference binaryReadStreamDo: [ :s | s contents ]) size.
>>>>>
>>>>> The output in the Transcript should be:
>>>>>
>>>>> 315392
>>>>> 318420
>>>>>
>>>>> Cheers,
>>>>> Max
>>>>>
>>>>> On 12 Jul 2018, at 8:17, Norbert Hartl wrote:
>>>>>
>>>>> Am 12.07.2018 um 08:05 schrieb Max Leske [hidden email]:
>>>>>
>>>>> On 11 Jul 2018, at 22:44, Norbert Hartl wrote:
>>>>>
>>>>> Hi Max,
>>>>>
>>>>> I constructed a case that fails exactly like I experience it. Could you
>>>>> try? Just unpack the attachment on a linux, set PHARO_VM env to your
>>>>> executable and execute build.sh
>>>>>
>>>>> I will. Might take a couple of days though.
>>>>>
>>>>> No problem. I‘m happy if you find time.
>>>>>
>>>>> Norbert
>>>>>
>>>>> Max
>>>>>
>>>>> Norbert
>>>>>
>>>>> Am 10.07.2018 um 09:17 schrieb Max Leske [hidden email]:
>>>>>
>>>>> On 10 Jul 2018, at 8:48, Norbert Hartl wrote:
>>>>>
>>>>> Max,
>>>>>
>>>>> thanks for taking the effort.
>>>>>
>>>>> No worries.
>>>>>
>>>>> Am 10.07.2018 um 08:37 schrieb Max Leske [hidden email]:
>>>>>
>>>>> I did my best to reproduce the issue but didn't have any luck. I really
>>>>> need access to a Linux VM to debug this. So I'm praying that Apple fixes
>>>>> the access restrictions to kernel extensions in their next beta...
>>>>>
>>>>> BTW, Metacello uses ZnClient, which uses ZnFileSystemUtils, so there is
>>>>> indeed a chance that something goes wrong during download of the zip
>>>>> archive and that something may be tied to a difference in the versions of
>>>>> Zinc (although I still think that's unlikely).
>>>>>
>>>>> Yes there is potential but I don‘t see it. I take a fresh 6.1 image and
>>>>> load my project into. I‘m not sure but I think zinc 2.9.2 is loaded rather
>>>>> early in that process. So I wonder why it does not go wrong in the first
>>>>> phase. And also not if I load the test group within the first phase.
>>>>> It must be either the second Metacello invocation or the stopping, copying
>>>>> and starting of the image.
>>>>> I try to isolate this case more and provide a script that goes wrong on my
>>>>> machine. But it will take some time because I needed to stop trying to
>>>>> solve this as I wasted nearly two days on that already.
>>>>>
>>>>> Let me know once you have something and I'll try to help out.
>>>>>
>>>>> Norbert
>>>>>
>>>>> Max
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>> Am 09.07.2018 um 19:10 schrieb Max Leske [hidden email]:
>>>>>
>>>>> I checked the Parasol Archive and it does not appear to be in Zip64 format
>>>>> (Metacello uses ZipArchive which can't cope with Zip64 but ZipArchive can
>>>>> read the Parasol zip). So my next guess is that there's either a problem
>>>>> with Metacello or Pharo in the way that ZipArchive is used (e.g. endianness
>>>>> problem or non-binary stream data). It would therefore be helpful to find
>>>>> out what happens in ZipArchive>>readFrom:, i.e. what kind of stream is
>>>>> passed / opened, is it binary, does the file exist and is it still the
>>>>> correct file.
>>>>>
>>>>> I couldn’t see anything obvious. The file in the debug message exists, it
>>>>> is a readable zip file. The way Metacello uses it it is a
>>>>> StandardFileStream. It switches it to binary in the code.
>>>>> But the only difference between a working and non-working build is the
>>>>> upgrade to zinc 2.9.2.
>>>>>
>>>>> Norbert
>>>>>
>>>>> I'd debug it myself but I can't run VirtualBox at the moment because I'm
>>>>> on the macOS beta and it won't start...
>>>>>
>>>>> Max
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>> Hi Max,
>>>>>
>>>>> Am 09.07.2018 um 18:18 schrieb Max Leske [hidden email]:
>>>>>
>>>>> Hi Norbert,
>>>>>
>>>>> This is a bit of a guess, but it's possible that the archive that is
>>>>> downloaded from github is in Zip64 format and that the libraries for
>>>>> extracting Zip64 are missing on your Linux. That would of course contradict
>>>>> the experience that the same operation appears to work in 6.1.
>>>>>
>>>>> to be honest I don’t know what Zip64 format is. I thought the Zip classes
>>>>> are pure smalltalk for unpacking.
>>>>>
>>>>> Try extracting the archive manually on your Linux machine with the same
>>>>> method that Metacello uses (I assume, Metacello uses the ZipPlugin, which
>>>>> will probably use the system libraries).
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>> But there are zips downloaded and unpacked. I start the image the first
>>>>> time loading all the code of my project. Then it is saved, copied to a new
>>>>> name and reopened to load the tests and then it fails. I did try to load
>>>>> the tests in the first run and then it works.
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>> thanks,
>>>>>
>>>>> Norbert
>>>>>
>>>>> Cheers,
>>>>> Max
>>>>>
>>>>> On 9 Jul 2018, at 17:14, Norbert Hartl wrote:
>>>>>
>>>>> With the help of Esteban I got one step further. If I do
>>>>>
>>>>> MCWorkingCopy
>>>>> managersForClass: ZnFileSystemUtils
>>>>> do: [ :each | each ancestry initialize ]
>>>>>
>>>>> before loading my project it updates Zinc-FileSystem as well. Sadly it
>>>>> still does not work for me because I get
>>>>>
>>>>> Loading baseline of BaselineOfMobilityMap...
>>>>> ...RETRY->BaselineOfParasol
>>>>> ...RETRY->BaselineOfParasol[31mError: can't find EOCD position
>>>>>
>>>>> and I don’t know why. zip file is downloaded from github and present but
>>>>> it fails and only on my jenkins on linux. On my Mac this works.
>>>>>
>>>>> I try a few things but then I’m back on pharo6.1 for the time being :(
>>>>>
>>>>> Norbert
>>>>>
>>>>> Am 07.07.2018 um 13:28 schrieb Norbert Hartl [hidden email]:
>>>>>
>>>>> Really? I thought the same but then I didn’t believe it works like that.
>>>>>
>>>>> Anyway this would be very easy to solve. We just need to ask Sven if he is
>>>>> fine with doing an empty .16 version for Zinc-FileSystem and does an
>>>>> in-place version reset of 2.9.2 or a new 2.9.3. I’m not fully convinced
>>>>> that will solve it but the cost won’t be very high.
>>>>>
>>>>> Norbert
>>>>>
>>>>> Am 07.07.2018 um 13:22 schrieb Cyril Ferlicot [hidden email]:
>>>>>
>>>>> Need to investigate more. There are two .15 versions but there is 1 year
>>>>> in between (if you didn’t notice TheIntegratior.15 is from 2017). Just want
>>>>> to have more context information because I can only see that this is
>>>>> strange but lacking insight.
>>>>>
>>>>> I’m trying to figure out why it does not update Zinc-FileSystem. No matter
>>>>> what I do I cannot get Metacello to load the newer package. That would fix
>>>>> the issue because I’m loading 2.9.2 which should have
>>>>> Zinc-FileSystem-SVC.15 and not stay on the one included in the image.
>>>>>
>>>>> I think this is important for everyone that has a product based on 6.1 and
>>>>> that want to migrate someday to pharo7. This way it is impossible to do it
>>>>> step by step.
>>>>>
>>>>> If there is a package .15 in the image and a package .15 in the repo, I
>>>>> think Metacello will not update because it rely on the numbers to know when
>>>>> to update. If it find a .15 and currently have a .15 I think Metacello will
>>>>> think they are at the same version.
>>>>>
>>>>> Norbert
>>>>>
>>>>> --
>>>>> Cyril Ferlicot
>>>>> https://ferlicot.fr
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>