Problem with zinc 2.9.2

123

Re: Problem with zinc 2.9.2

Max Leske
Just to be safe, I'll redo my experiment and get back to you.

On 21 Jul 2018, at 16:59, Sven Van Caekenberghe wrote:

> I tried running Max's snippet (Pharo 6.1 on Ubuntu 16.04 LTS),
>
> ZnClient new
>     url: 'https://github.com/zweidenker/Parasol/archive/master.zip';
>     downloadTo: '/tmp/foobar.zip'.
> bytes := '/tmp/foobar.zip' asFileReference binaryReadStreamDo: [ :s |
> s contents ].
> Transcript open; show: bytes size; cr.
> 5 seconds asDelay wait.
> Transcript show: ('/tmp/foobar.zip' asFileReference
> binaryReadStreamDo: [ :s | s contents ]) size.
>
> And it gives me,
>
> 318420
> 318420
>
> For me there is nothing nothing to see here ... and I have the
> impression we are all talking about different things.
>
>> On 21 Jul 2018, at 14:18, Max Leske <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> On 21 Jul 2018, at 12:07, Norbert Hartl wrote:
>>
>>> Max,
>>>
>>> what do you think will be a proper fix for this? I cannot see if
>>> this is a vm problem or not.
>>
>> In my opinion it should be fixed in Zinc as there's no way for the
>> user of Zinc to flush the stream. The alternative would be for Zinc
>> to expose a method or setting that allows the user to specify the
>> expected behaviour.
>> I do not think that this should be handled by the VM plugin or the
>> stream class, as there are indeed different behaviours that make
>> sense.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Max
>>

>>> Norbert

Re: Problem with zinc 2.9.2

Max Leske

Sven, you're right. What I found last time works as a side-effect. The real problem is in ZnFileSystemUtils class>>newBinaryFileNamed:do:. In Pharo 6.1 the logic there leads to the following evaluation:

block value: (self binaryFileStreamFor: fileName)

This is the only place where the stream is created without a surrounding safety block (e.g. #writeStream:do:), which means, no one closes the stream. The line should be:

| s |
s := self binaryFileStreamFor: fileName.
[ block value: s ] ensure: [ s close ]

ZnFileSystemUtils class>>newBinaryFileNamed:do: is only used by ZnClient after loading Zinc-HTTP-SvenVanCaekenberghe.472, which is being loaded by version 2.9.1 of ConfigurationOfZincHTTPComponents.

Cheers,
Max

On 21 Jul 2018, at 17:21, Max Leske wrote:

[...]

https://ferlicot.fr

Re: Problem with zinc 2.9.2

Sven Van Caekenberghe-2
Ah, that makes total sense. Great catch. Thank you.

===
Name: Zinc-FileSystem-SvenVanCaekenberghe.17
Author: SvenVanCaekenberghe
Time: 22 July 2018, 11:04:40.148339 am
UUID: e97a508e-f42d-0d00-a127-f016078b1897
Ancestors: Zinc-FileSystem-SvenVanCaekenberghe.16

Bugfix to ZnFileSystemUtils class>>#newBinaryFileNamed:do: we must ensure that the binaryStream opened here is closed as well (thx Max Leske for the bug hunting and fix)
===

The method in question now look as follows:

newBinaryFileNamed: fileName do: block
        | fileReference |
        fileReference := fileName asFileReference.
        ^ (fileReference respondsTo: #binaryWriteStreamDo:ifPresent:)
                ifTrue: [
                        fileName asFileReference
                                binaryWriteStreamDo: block
                                ifPresent: [ FileExists signalWith: fileReference ] ]
                ifFalse: [
                        fileReference isFile
                                ifTrue: [ FileExists signalWith: fileReference ]
                                ifFalse: [ | binaryStream |
                                        binaryStream := self binaryFileStreamFor: fileName.
                                        [ block value: binaryStream ] ensure: [ binaryStream close ] ] ]

I create a new 2.9.4 of the config later on.

> [...]
> in between (if you didn’t notice TheIntegratior.15 is from 2017). Just want
> to have more context information because I can only see that this is
> strange but lacking insight.
>
> I’m trying to figure out why it does not update Zinc-FileSystem. No matter
> what I do I cannot get Metacello to load the newer package. That would fix
> the issue because I’m loading 2.9.2 which should have
> Zinc-FileSystem-SVC.15 and not stay on the one included in the image.
>
> I think this is important for everyone that has a product based on 6.1 and
> that want to migrate someday to pharo7. This way it is impossible to do it
> step by step.
>
> If there is a package .15 in the image and a package .15 in the repo, I
> think Metacello will not update because it rely on the numbers to know when
> to update. If it find a .15 and currently have a .15 I think Metacello will

Re: Problem with zinc 2.9.2

NorbertHartl
Thank you guys! It is really great to see that there are people like Max jumping onto problems like this and solving it.

@sven I’m eager to test when the new configuration is available. Please drop us a note when you are done!

thanks again,

Norbert

> [...]
>> in between (if you didn’t notice TheIntegratior.15 is from 2017). Just want
>> to have more context information because I can only see that this is
>> strange but lacking insight.
>>
>> I’m trying to figure out why it does not update Zinc-FileSystem. No matter
>> what I do I cannot get Metacello to load the newer package. That would fix
>> the issue because I’m loading 2.9.2 which should have
>> Zinc-FileSystem-SVC.15 and not stay on the one included in the image.
>>
>> I think this is important for everyone that has a product based on 6.1 and
>> that want to migrate someday to pharo7. This way it is impossible to do it
>> step by step.
>>
>> If there is a package .15 in the image and a package .15 in the repo, I
>> think Metacello will not update because it rely on the numbers to know when
>> to update. If it find a .15 and currently have a .15 I think Metacello will

Re: Problem with zinc 2.9.2

Sven Van Caekenberghe-2
Done:

===
Name: ConfigurationOfZincHTTPComponents-SvenVanCaekenberghe.117
Author: SvenVanCaekenberghe
Time: 22 July 2018, 12:58:12.362 pm
UUID: 949d5a24-f62d-0d00-a12c-ead9078b1897
Ancestors: ConfigurationOfZincHTTPComponents-SvenVanCaekenberghe.116

stable v 2.9.4
===

Please tell us if this works for you

> [...]
>>>
>>> And it gives me,
>>>
>>> 318420
>>> 318420
>>>
>>> For me there is nothing nothing to see here ... and I have the impression we are all talking about different things.
>>> On 21 Jul 2018, at 14:18, Max Leske <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> On 21 Jul 2018, at 12:07, Norbert Hartl wrote:
>>> Max,
>>>
>>> what do you think will be a proper fix for this? I cannot see if this is a vm problem or not.
>>>
>>> In my opinion it should be fixed in Zinc as there's no way for the user of Zinc to flush the stream. The alternative would be for Zinc to expose a method or setting that allows the user to specify the expected behaviour.
>>> I do not think that this should be handled by the VM plugin or the stream class, as there are indeed different behaviours that make sense.

>>> Max
> [...]
>>> in between (if you didn’t notice TheIntegratior.15 is from 2017). Just want
>>> to have more context information because I can only see that this is
>>> strange but lacking insight.
>>>
>>> I’m trying to figure out why it does not update Zinc-FileSystem. No matter
>>> what I do I cannot get Metacello to load the newer package. That would fix
>>> the issue because I’m loading 2.9.2 which should have
>>> Zinc-FileSystem-SVC.15 and not stay on the one included in the image.
>>>
>>> I think this is important for everyone that has a product based on 6.1 and
>>> that want to migrate someday to pharo7. This way it is impossible to do it
>>> step by step.
>>>
>>> If there is a package .15 in the image and a package .15 in the repo, I
>>> think Metacello will not update because it rely on the numbers to know when
>>> to update. If it find a .15 and currently have a .15 I think Metacello will

Re: Problem with zinc 2.9.2

NorbertHartl
Sven,

thank you very much for quickly providing a new version. I changed the dependencies of my project for 2.9.4 and everything is fine now. So I can start using pharo7 on my laptop and keep 6.1 images for building the deployment artefact. Great!

thanks,

Norberr

> Am 22.07.2018 um 12:59 schrieb Sven Van Caekenberghe <[hidden email]>:
>
> Done:
>
> ===
> Name: ConfigurationOfZincHTTPComponents-SvenVanCaekenberghe.117
> Author: SvenVanCaekenberghe
> Time: 22 July 2018, 12:58:12.362 pm
> UUID: 949d5a24-f62d-0d00-a12c-ead9078b1897
> Ancestors: ConfigurationOfZincHTTPComponents-SvenVanCaekenberghe.116
>
> stable v 2.9.4
> ===
>
> Please tell us if this works for you
>
>> On 22 Jul 2018, at 12:10, Norbert Hartl <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Thank you guys! It is really great to see that there are people like Max jumping onto problems like this and solving it.
>>
>> @sven I’m eager to test when the new configuration is available. Please drop us a note when you are done!
>>
>> thanks again,
>>
>> Norbert
>>
>>> Am 22.07.2018 um 11:06 schrieb Sven Van Caekenberghe <[hidden email]>:
>>>
>>> Ah, that makes total sense. Great catch. Thank you.
>>>
>>> ===
>>> Name: Zinc-FileSystem-SvenVanCaekenberghe.17
>>> Author: SvenVanCaekenberghe
>>> Time: 22 July 2018, 11:04:40.148339 am
>>> UUID: e97a508e-f42d-0d00-a127-f016078b1897
>>> Ancestors: Zinc-FileSystem-SvenVanCaekenberghe.16
>>>
>>> Bugfix to ZnFileSystemUtils class>>#newBinaryFileNamed:do: we must ensure that the binaryStream opened here is closed as well (thx Max Leske for the bug hunting and fix)
>>> ===
>>>
>>> The method in question now look as follows:
>>>
>>> newBinaryFileNamed: fileName do: block
>>> | fileReference |
>>> fileReference := fileName asFileReference.
>>> ^ (fileReference respondsTo: #binaryWriteStreamDo:ifPresent:)
>>> ifTrue: [
>>> fileName asFileReference
>>> binaryWriteStreamDo: block
>>> ifPresent: [ FileExists signalWith: fileReference ] ]
>>> ifFalse: [
>>> fileReference isFile
>>> ifTrue: [ FileExists signalWith: fileReference ]
>>> ifFalse: [ | binaryStream |
>>> binaryStream := self binaryFileStreamFor: fileName.
>>> [ block value: binaryStream ] ensure: [ binaryStream close ] ] ]
>>>
>>> I create a new 2.9.4 of the config later on.

Re: Problem with zinc 2.9.2

Sven Van Caekenberghe-2
Good!

> On 22 Jul 2018, at 13:53, Norbert Hartl <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Sven,
>
> thank you very much for quickly providing a new version. I changed the dependencies of my project for 2.9.4 and everything is fine now. So I can start using pharo7 on my laptop and keep 6.1 images for building the deployment artefact. Great!
>
> thanks,
>
> Norberr
>
>> Am 22.07.2018 um 12:59 schrieb Sven Van Caekenberghe <[hidden email]>:
>>
>> Done:
>>
>> ===
>> Name: ConfigurationOfZincHTTPComponents-SvenVanCaekenberghe.117
>> Author: SvenVanCaekenberghe
>> Time: 22 July 2018, 12:58:12.362 pm
>> UUID: 949d5a24-f62d-0d00-a12c-ead9078b1897
>> Ancestors: ConfigurationOfZincHTTPComponents-SvenVanCaekenberghe.116
>>
>> stable v 2.9.4
>> ===
>>
>> Please tell us if this works for you
>>
>>> On 22 Jul 2018, at 12:10, Norbert Hartl <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Thank you guys! It is really great to see that there are people like Max jumping onto problems like this and solving it.
>>>
>>> @sven I’m eager to test when the new configuration is available. Please drop us a note when you are done!
>>>
>>> thanks again,
>>>
>>> Norbert

Re: Problem with zinc 2.9.2

Max Leske
On 22 Jul 2018, at 12:10, Norbert Hartl wrote:

> Thank you guys! It is really great to see that there are people like
> Max jumping onto problems like this and solving it.

You're welcome!

> [...]
>>>
>>> And it gives me,
>>>
>>> 318420
>>> 318420
>>>
>>> For me there is nothing nothing to see here ... and I have the
>>> impression we are all talking about different things.
>>> On 21 Jul 2018, at 14:18, Max Leske <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> On 21 Jul 2018, at 12:07, Norbert Hartl wrote:
>>> Max,
>>>
>>> what do you think will be a proper fix for this? I cannot see if
>>> this is a vm problem or not.
>>>
>>> In my opinion it should be fixed in Zinc as there's no way for the
>>> user of Zinc to flush the stream. The alternative would be for Zinc
>>> to expose a method or setting that allows the user to specify the
>>> expected behaviour.
>>> I do not think that this should be handled by the VM plugin or the
>>> stream class, as there are indeed different behaviours that make

>>> Max
> [...]
>>>
>>> I’m trying to figure out why it does not update Zinc-FileSystem.
>>> No matter
>>> what I do I cannot get Metacello to load the newer package. That
>>> would fix
>>> the issue because I’m loading 2.9.2 which should have
>>> Zinc-FileSystem-SVC.15 and not stay on the one included in the
>>> image.
>>>
>>> I think this is important for everyone that has a product based on
>>> 6.1 and
>>> that want to migrate someday to pharo7. This way it is impossible to
>>> do it
>>> step by step.
>>>
>>> If there is a package .15 in the image and a package .15 in the
>>> repo, I
>>> think Metacello will not update because it rely on the numbers to
>>> know when
>>> to update. If it find a .15 and currently have a .15 I think

123