Problem working offline with monticello, after project was loaded from web-repository.

Problem working offline with monticello, after project was loaded from web-repository.

MartinW
I can no longer commit to a local monticello repository after i have loaded the project from smalltalkhub:

Reproduce:
1) Take a new image, load a project from Smalltalkhub.
2) Go offline
3) Try to save a new version to a local disk repository.

=>
I see two ProgressBars:
1) Creating unique version number

And i see a Dialog: "NameLookupFailure: cannot resolve 'smalltalkhub.com'" that asks me:
Retry or Give up.
=>
Retry leaves me with the same Dialog again,
Give up hangs the image beyond any attempt to revive it.

How can i load a project from smalltalkhub and then commit new versions locally, because i have no internet access?

Re: Problem working offline with monticello, after project was loaded from web-repository.

Igor Stasenko
You posed a valid question, Martin.
I , personally, don't like it too, that  MC logic queries all known
repositories before
comitting new version into any other one.

I think a mid-term solutiion for you would be to remove the remote
repository from the list of project's
known repositories and leave only local one. Then MC will have no
reason to try accessing them.

On 9 February 2013 17:37, MartinW <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I can no longer commit to a local monticello repository after i have loaded
> the project from smalltalkhub:
>
> Reproduce:
> 1) Take a new image, load a project from Smalltalkhub.
> 2) Go offline
> 3) Try to save a new version to a local disk repository.
>
> =>
> I see two ProgressBars:
> 1) Creating unique version number
>
> And i see a Dialog: "NameLookupFailure: cannot resolve 'smalltalkhub.com'"
> that asks me:
> Retry or Give up.
> =>
> Retry leaves me with the same Dialog again,
> Give up hangs the image beyond any attempt to revive it.
>
> How can i load a project from smalltalkhub and then commit new versions
> locally, because i have no internet access?

Best regards,
Igor Stasenko.

Re: Problem working offline with monticello, after project was loaded from web-repository.

stephane ducasse
Yes this is annoying especially since I often work too not connected.
We should try to fix this logic.
Now we are quite busy and I'm simply exhausted (but not by pharo) just sickness.

Stef

On Feb 9, 2013, at 4:37 PM, MartinW <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I can no longer commit to a local monticello repository after i have loaded
> the project from smalltalkhub:
>
> Reproduce:
> 1) Take a new image, load a project from Smalltalkhub.
> 2) Go offline
> 3) Try to save a new version to a local disk repository.
>
> =>
> I see two ProgressBars:
> 1) Creating unique version number
>
> And i see a Dialog: "NameLookupFailure: cannot resolve 'smalltalkhub.com'"
> that asks me:
> Retry or Give up.
> =>
> Retry leaves me with the same Dialog again,
> Give up hangs the image beyond any attempt to revive it.
>
> How can i load a project from smalltalkhub and then commit new versions
> locally, because i have no internet access?

Re: Problem working offline with monticello, after project was loaded from web-repository.

Mariano Martinez Peck
Yes, this is annoying. Please open an issue and hopefully we can tackle it for Pharo  3.0 :)

On Sat, Feb 9, 2013 at 2:56 PM, stephane ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
Yes this is annoying especially since I often work too not connected.
We should try to fix this logic.
Now we are quite busy and I'm simply exhausted (but not by pharo) just sickness.

Stef

On Feb 9, 2013, at 4:37 PM, MartinW <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I can no longer commit to a local monticello repository after i have loaded
> the project from smalltalkhub:
>
> Reproduce:
> 1) Take a new image, load a project from Smalltalkhub.
> 2) Go offline
> 3) Try to save a new version to a local disk repository.
>
> =>
> I see two ProgressBars:
> 1) Creating unique version number
>
> And i see a Dialog: "NameLookupFailure: cannot resolve 'smalltalkhub.com'"
> that asks me:
> Retry or Give up.
> =>
> Retry leaves me with the same Dialog again,
> Give up hangs the image beyond any attempt to revive it.
>
> How can i load a project from smalltalkhub and then commit new versions
> locally, because i have no internet access?

Mariano
http://marianopeck.wordpress.com

Re: Problem working offline with monticello, after project was loaded from web-repository.

Alain Busser

On Sat, Feb 9, 2013 at 9:56 PM, stephane ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
Yes this is annoying especially since I often work too not connected.
We should try to fix this logic.
Now we are quite busy and I'm simply exhausted (but not by pharo) just sickness.

Get well soon :-)

Alain

On Feb 10, 2013, at 8:58 AM, Alain Busser <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Sat, Feb 9, 2013 at 9:56 PM, stephane ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
Yes this is annoying especially since I often work too not connected.
We should try to fix this logic.
Now we are quite busy and I'm simply exhausted (but not by pharo) just sickness.

Get well soon :-)

Thanks.
It takes time. I'm sick since june :)
But getter better from time to time :)

Stef

Alain

Stef

On Feb 9, 2013, at 4:37 PM, MartinW <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I can no longer commit to a local monticello repository after i have loaded
> the project from smalltalkhub:
>
> Reproduce:
> 1) Take a new image, load a project from Smalltalkhub.
> 2) Go offline
> 3) Try to save a new version to a local disk repository.
>
> =>
> I see two ProgressBars:
> 1) Creating unique version number
>
> And i see a Dialog: "NameLookupFailure: cannot resolve 'smalltalkhub.com'"
> that asks me:
> Retry or Give up.
> =>
> Retry leaves me with the same Dialog again,
> Give up hangs the image beyond any attempt to revive it.
>
> How can i load a project from smalltalkhub and then commit new versions
> locally, because i have no internet access?

Re: Problem working offline with monticello, after project was loaded from web-repository.

MartinW
Mariano Martinez Peck wrote
Yes, this is annoying. Please open an issue and hopefully we can tackle it
for Pharo  3.0 :)
done. http://code.google.com/p/pharo/issues/detail?id=7481

Re: Problem working offline with monticello, after project was loaded from web-repository.

MartinW
Igor Stasenko wrote
You posed a valid question, Martin.
I , personally, don't like it too, that  MC logic queries all known
repositories before
comitting new version into any other one.

I think a mid-term solutiion for you would be to remove the remote
repository from the list of project's
known repositories and leave only local one. Then MC will have no
reason to try accessing them.
Yes, removing the remote repository solves the problem :)

Could this create a problem of conflicting "unique version number"s at a later point in time?