Problems Running Squeak On FreeBSD 10.1

B J

Problems Running Squeak On FreeBSD 10.1

B J
I recently installed FreeBSD 10.1 (Intel i386) on an external hard
drive, using Mate as the desktop and Slim as the login manager.  I am
having problems in getting Squeak to run on that system.

I used:

pkg install squeak

and the version that's installed is squeak-4.10.2_2

Running as root, I get the following messages:

CHECKING cogvm
CHECKING squeakvm
Illegal instruction (core dumped)

The result is a 1 GB file named squeakvm.core in the root directory.

If I remove it and re-install it through as a port,  I get the same
messages with squeakvm.core now located in:

/usr/ports/lang/squeak/work/state/usr/local/lib/squeak/4.10.2-2614/

Squeak itself, without an image specified in the command line, appears
to run, so it seems that the installation has problems in reading
images.

Earlier, I tried different images and desktops, with the same result.

By comparison, I installed it on an internal drive on the same machine
several months ago.  I was using FreeBSD 10.0, Gnome 2 as the desktop,
and GDM as the login manager.  I had no problems in running Squeak
with that configuration, though I believe the version is
squeak-4.10.2.

I've made inquiries on the FreeBSD ports mailing list and in the
FreeBSD forum, but no solution so far.

Did I miss something or do something wrong?  Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thank you.

Re: Problems Running Squeak On FreeBSD 10.1

John Briggs
On Fri, Dec 05, 2014 at 04:25:13AM +0000, B J wrote:

> I recently installed FreeBSD 10.1 (Intel i386) on an external hard
> drive, using Mate as the desktop and Slim as the login manager.  I am
> having problems in getting Squeak to run on that system.
>
> I used:
>
> pkg install squeak
>
> and the version that's installed is squeak-4.10.2_2
>
> Running as root, I get the following messages:
>
> CHECKING cogvm
> CHECKING squeakvm
> Illegal instruction (core dumped)
>
> The result is a 1 GB file named squeakvm.core in the root directory.
>
> If I remove it and re-install it through as a port,  I get the same
> messages with squeakvm.core now located in:
>
> /usr/ports/lang/squeak/work/state/usr/local/lib/squeak/4.10.2-2614/
>
> Squeak itself, without an image specified in the command line, appears
> to run, so it seems that the installation has problems in reading
> images.

Try this method:
create a local working directory (lwd) for Squeak.
copy Squeak image and changes files to lwd.
from the command line:
 cd lwd
 squeak squeak.image

If this works create a shortcut to the desktop with the same commands
for the shortcut

B J

On 12/5/14, John Briggs <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Fri, Dec 05, 2014 at 04:25:13AM +0000, B J wrote:
>> I recently installed FreeBSD 10.1 (Intel i386) on an external hard
>> drive, using Mate as the desktop and Slim as the login manager.  I am
>> having problems in getting Squeak to run on that system.
>>
>> I used:
>>
>> pkg install squeak
>>
>> and the version that's installed is squeak-4.10.2_2
>>
>> Running as root, I get the following messages:
>>
>> CHECKING cogvm
>> CHECKING squeakvm
>> Illegal instruction (core dumped)
>>
>> The result is a 1 GB file named squeakvm.core in the root directory.
>>
>> If I remove it and re-install it through as a port,  I get the same
>> messages with squeakvm.core now located in:
>>
>> /usr/ports/lang/squeak/work/state/usr/local/lib/squeak/4.10.2-2614/
>>
>> Squeak itself, without an image specified in the command line, appears
>> to run, so it seems that the installation has problems in reading
>> images.
>
> Try this method:
> create a local working directory (lwd) for Squeak.
> copy Squeak image and changes files to lwd.
> from the command line:
>  cd lwd
>  squeak squeak.image
>
> If this works create a shortcut to the desktop with the same commands
> for the shortcut

For some of my earlier attempts, I used an image on the root desktop
but Squeak didn't like that, either.  However, I'll try it again using
a separate directory, though I don't see why it should matter where
the image is located.

Thanks.

<snip>

Re: Problems Running Squeak On FreeBSD 10.1

David T. Lewis
I think that you probably have installed a VM that was compiled by someone
working to support the FreeBSD distribution. Unfortunately we do not
currently have a very good process for supporting those distro
maintainers, and some of the resulting VMs have problems.

Try loading one of the VMs available from
http://www.mirandabanda.org/files/Cog/VM/ or
http://www.squeakvm.org/unix/. I'm not sure if there is a Cog VM for
FreeBSD at the moment, although I suspect one of the Linux ones would
work. Otherwise, try the FreeBSD VM from www.squeakvm.org/unix/, which is
an official release of the same VM that your tried to install through "pkg
install squeak".

I'm pretty sure that one of these VMs will work. If not, it's not hard to
compile your own, so ask again and we'll give you some pointers.

HTH,
Dave

> I recently installed FreeBSD 10.1 (Intel i386) on an external hard
> drive, using Mate as the desktop and Slim as the login manager.  I am
> having problems in getting Squeak to run on that system.
>
> I used:
>
> pkg install squeak
>
> and the version that's installed is squeak-4.10.2_2
>
> Running as root, I get the following messages:
>
> CHECKING cogvm
> CHECKING squeakvm
> Illegal instruction (core dumped)
>
> The result is a 1 GB file named squeakvm.core in the root directory.
>
> If I remove it and re-install it through as a port,  I get the same
> messages with squeakvm.core now located in:
>
> /usr/ports/lang/squeak/work/state/usr/local/lib/squeak/4.10.2-2614/
>
> Squeak itself, without an image specified in the command line, appears
> to run, so it seems that the installation has problems in reading
> images.
>
> Earlier, I tried different images and desktops, with the same result.
>
> By comparison, I installed it on an internal drive on the same machine
> several months ago.  I was using FreeBSD 10.0, Gnome 2 as the desktop,
> and GDM as the login manager.  I had no problems in running Squeak
> with that configuration, though I believe the version is
> squeak-4.10.2.
>
> I've made inquiries on the FreeBSD ports mailing list and in the
> FreeBSD forum, but no solution so far.
>
> Did I miss something or do something wrong?  Does anyone have any
> suggestions?
>
> Thank you.

Re: Problems Running Squeak On FreeBSD 10.1

timrowledge

On 05-12-2014, at 12:12 PM, David T. Lewis <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I think that you probably have installed a VM that was compiled by someone
> working to support the FreeBSD distribution. Unfortunately we do not
> currently have a very good process for supporting those distro
> maintainers, and some of the resulting VMs have problems.

As an example from another OS, Debian takes the vm source from squeakvm.org and then carefully breaks it. This was, amongst other things, a cause of a big problem for Raspberry Pi Scratch.

tim
Useful random insult:- S  p  a  c  e  d   o  u  t .

B J

On 12/5/14, David T. Lewis <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I think that you probably have installed a VM that was compiled by someone
> working to support the FreeBSD distribution. Unfortunately we do not
> currently have a very good process for supporting those distro
> maintainers, and some of the resulting VMs have problems.
>
> Try loading one of the VMs available from
> http://www.mirandabanda.org/files/Cog/VM/ or
> http://www.squeakvm.org/unix/. I'm not sure if there is a Cog VM for
> FreeBSD at the moment, although I suspect one of the Linux ones would
> work.

My attempts at using a LInux version of Squeak made FreeBSD rather unhappy.

I do know that it supports LInux through some form of emulation or
supporting libraries.  I haven't tried that yet, though, with my
failures so far, I'm not optimistic.

Otherwise, try the FreeBSD VM from www.squeakvm.org/unix/, which is
> an official release of the same VM that your tried to install through "pkg
> install squeak".

FreeBSD didn't like it when I tried to build the VM from source code.

> I'm pretty sure that one of these VMs will work. If not, it's not hard to
> compile your own, so ask again and we'll give you some pointers.

There are some FreeBSD versions on that site, but they are for FreeBSD
8 which, I understand, is no longer supported.

<snip>

I've got a few other ideas that I might try, but, if those don't work
out, I'll have to abandon it.
It's too bad as I quite like FreeBSD as an operating system.

B J

On 12/5/14, tim Rowledge <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 05-12-2014, at 12:12 PM, David T. Lewis <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> I think that you probably have installed a VM that was compiled by
>> someone
>> working to support the FreeBSD distribution. Unfortunately we do not
>> currently have a very good process for supporting those distro
>> maintainers, and some of the resulting VMs have problems.
>
> As an example from another OS, Debian takes the vm source from squeakvm.org
> and then carefully breaks it. This was, amongst other things, a cause of a
> big problem for Raspberry Pi Scratch.

<snip>

I've had situations where I've upgraded FreeBSD and PC-BSD, only to
find that the OS went off the rails after I was finished.  The only
way I could solve that was to wipe the hard drive and re-install
everything all over again.

B J

Re: Problems Running Squeak On FreeBSD 10.1

B J
I finally got it running.  I configured my computer with FreeBSD 10.1
(64-bit version) using Mate as the desktop and Slim as the login
manager.

I installed it directly from the repository using:

pkg install squeak

and it starts up almost instantly.  It never occurred to me that
everything has to be 64 bits as there's no indication on the FreeBSD
ports web page that it's required.

Thank you to everyone for their advice.  It took longer than I
expected to get Squeak running, and I tried a number of things that
didn't work, I learned a lot from this, including things like how to
compile from source code.

On Wed, Dec 24, 2014 at 05:13:05AM +0000, B J wrote:

> I finally got it running.  I configured my computer with FreeBSD 10.1
> (64-bit version) using Mate as the desktop and Slim as the login
> manager.
>
> I installed it directly from the repository using:
>
> pkg install squeak
>
> and it starts up almost instantly.  It never occurred to me that
> everything has to be 64 bits as there's no indication on the FreeBSD
> ports web page that it's required.

Great! Thanks for the update.

Dave