Problems loading Squeak Map

12

Problems loading Squeak Map

Frank Church-3
Hi,

I am trying to fix the SqueakMap loader in Seaside-2.8.4.app image.

Squeak Map Loader shows a blank list with (0/0)

The about dialog give this information

Pharo0.1
latest update #10318

Trying 'Configuration->update from server rresults in a message not
understood error.
In the meantime I am using System->software update in the hope that
it does the same thing

The image is also displaying some bugs or what looks like
unimplemented menu options.

Are there commands I can execute to fix Squeak Map to get it to run properly?

BTW it is because want to add the Universes to setup Gemstone Tools
Client, but I don't mind
learning other things along the way.

Frank

Re: Problems loading Squeak Map

Stéphane Ducasse
We do not maintain squeakmap for the moment.
I cannot tell you more.

stef
On Jun 16, 2009, at 11:41 AM, Frank Church wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am trying to fix the SqueakMap loader in Seaside-2.8.4.app image.
>
> Squeak Map Loader shows a blank list with (0/0)
>
> The about dialog give this information
>
> Pharo0.1
> latest update #10318
>
> Trying 'Configuration->update from server rresults in a message not
> understood error.
> In the meantime I am using System->software update in the hope that
> it does the same thing
>
> The image is also displaying some bugs or what looks like
> unimplemented menu options.
>
> Are there commands I can execute to fix Squeak Map to get it to run
> properly?
>
> BTW it is because want to add the Universes to setup Gemstone Tools
> Client, but I don't mind
> learning other things along the way.
>
> Frank

Re: Problems loading Squeak Map

Frank Church-3
I am new to the Squeak environment and using the latest Seaside One
Click which now uses Pharo.

Is there a way I can configure Squeak Map browser manually to obtain
images from Squeak Map, after all the Squeak Map windows is present?

If that is not possible is the some way of downloading the files for
the required packages and adding them manually into Pharo?

2009/6/16 Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]>:

> We do not maintain squeakmap for the moment.
> I cannot tell you more.
>
> stef
> On Jun 16, 2009, at 11:41 AM, Frank Church wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am trying to fix the SqueakMap loader in Seaside-2.8.4.app image.
>>
>> Squeak Map Loader shows a blank list with (0/0)
>>
>> The about dialog give this information
>>
>> Pharo0.1
>> latest update #10318
>>
>> Trying 'Configuration->update from server rresults in a message not
>> understood error.
>> In the meantime I am using System->software update in the hope that
>> it does the same thing
>>
>> The image is also displaying some bugs or what looks like
>> unimplemented menu options.
>>
>> Are there commands I can execute to fix Squeak Map to get it to run
>> properly?
>>
>> BTW it is because want to add the Universes to setup Gemstone Tools
>> Client, but I don't mind
>> learning other things along the way.
>>
>> Frank

Re: Problems loading Squeak Map

Adrian Lienhard

On Jun 16, 2009, at 12:24 , Frank Church wrote:

> I am new to the Squeak environment and using the latest Seaside One
> Click which now uses Pharo.
>
> Is there a way I can configure Squeak Map browser manually to obtain
> images from Squeak Map, after all the Squeak Map windows is present?
>
> If that is not possible is the some way of downloading the files for
> the required packages and adding them manually into Pharo?

Yes., you can download the MCZ file using a web browser from http://map.squeak.org/
.
Then drag the file into your image and select 'install' in the menu
that pops up.

We have removed SqueakMap recently because it does not belong into the
Pharo-core image. A loadable package is yet missing.  Göran said he
may take a look to make SqueakMap load as an external package in Pharo
[1].

HTH,
Adrian

[1] http://lists.gforge.inria.fr/pipermail/pharo-project/2009-April/007794.html

> 2009/6/16 Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]>:
>> We do not maintain squeakmap for the moment.
>> I cannot tell you more.
>>
>> stef
>> On Jun 16, 2009, at 11:41 AM, Frank Church wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I am trying to fix the SqueakMap loader in Seaside-2.8.4.app image.
>>>
>>> Squeak Map Loader shows a blank list with (0/0)
>>>
>>> The about dialog give this information
>>>
>>> Pharo0.1
>>> latest update #10318
>>>
>>> Trying 'Configuration->update from server rresults in a message not
>>> understood error.
>>> In the meantime I am using System->software update in the hope that
>>> it does the same thing
>>>
>>> The image is also displaying some bugs or what looks like
>>> unimplemented menu options.
>>>
>>> Are there commands I can execute to fix Squeak Map to get it to run
>>> properly?
>>>
>>> BTW it is because want to add the Universes to setup Gemstone Tools
>>> Client, but I don't mind
>>> learning other things along the way.
>>>
>>> Frank

Re: Problems loading Squeak Map

Frank Church-3
Thanks for the tip.

I saw this thread in my searches which shows this other method.

http://n2.nabble.com/Universes-question-tt2410996.html#a2414136
==============================

To install Universes:

Installer ss
        project: 'XMLSupport';
        install: 'XML-Parser'.

Installer ss
        project: 'universes';
        install: 'Universes'.

Installer ss
        project: 'OBUniverse';
        install: 'OBUniverse'

==============================

Can this method also work in Pharo?

2009/6/16 Adrian Lienhard <[hidden email]>:

> On Jun 16, 2009, at 12:24 , Frank Church wrote:
>
>> I am new to the Squeak environment and using the latest Seaside One
>> Click which now uses Pharo.
>>
>> Is there a way I can configure Squeak Map browser manually to obtain
>> images from Squeak Map, after all the Squeak Map windows is present?
>>
>> If that is not possible is the some way of downloading the files for
>> the required packages and adding them manually into Pharo?
>
> Yes., you can download the MCZ file using a web browser from http://map.squeak.org/
> .
> Then drag the file into your image and select 'install' in the menu
> that pops up.
>
> We have removed SqueakMap recently because it does not belong into the
> Pharo-core image. A loadable package is yet missing.  Göran said he
> may take a look to make SqueakMap load as an external package in Pharo
> [1].
>
> HTH,
> Adrian
>
> [1] http://lists.gforge.inria.fr/pipermail/pharo-project/2009-April/007794.html
>

>> 2009/6/16 Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]>:
>>> We do not maintain squeakmap for the moment.
>>> I cannot tell you more.
>>>
>>> stef

Re: Problems loading Squeak Map

Damien Cassou
On Tue, Jun 16, 2009 at 2:12 PM, Frank Church<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Can this method also work in Pharo?

It should work perfectly.

--
Damien Cassou
http://damiencassou.seasidehosting.st

popular by not having them." James Iry

Re: Problems loading Squeak Map

Frank Church-3
Is the Installer command something to run in the Workspace or in some
other window?

2009/6/16 Damien Cassou <[hidden email]>:

> On Tue, Jun 16, 2009 at 2:12 PM, Frank Church<[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Can this method also work in Pharo?
>
> It should work perfectly.
>
> --
> Damien Cassou
> http://damiencassou.seasidehosting.st
>
> "Lambdas are relegated to relative obscurity until Java makes them
> popular by not having them." James Iry

Re: Problems loading Squeak Map

Brian Brown-6
In the workspace.

- Brian

On Jun 16, 2009, at 7:48 AM, Frank Church wrote:

> Is the Installer command something to run in the Workspace or in some
> other window?

Re: Problems loading Squeak Map

Frank Church-3
When I type the command and 'do-it' I get the error : 'Unknown
variable Install, please correct or cancel'

Is it already built into Pharo or does it require an additional
package to be installed?

2009/6/16 Brian Brown <[hidden email]>:

> In the workspace.
>
> - Brian
>

> On Jun 16, 2009, at 7:48 AM, Frank Church wrote:
>
>> Is the Installer command something to run in the Workspace or in some
>> other window?

Re: Problems loading Squeak Map

Mariano Martinez Peck
You can do this:

|instClass|
instClass := Smalltalk at: #Installer ifAbsent: [ScriptLoader loadLatestPackage: 'Installer-Core' fromSqueaksource: 'Installer'. Smalltalk at: #Installer].
instClass ss
       project: 'XMLSupport';
       install: 'XML-Parser'.

Mariano

On Tue, Jun 16, 2009 at 2:03 PM, Frank Church <[hidden email]> wrote:
When I type the command and 'do-it' I get the error : 'Unknown
variable Install, please correct or cancel'

Is it already built into Pharo or does it require an additional
package to be installed?

2009/6/16 Brian Brown <[hidden email]>:
> In the workspace.
>
> - Brian
>

> On Jun 16, 2009, at 7:48 AM, Frank Church wrote:
>
>> Is the Installer command something to run in the Workspace or in some
>> other window?

Re: Problems loading Squeak Map

Frank Church-3
Worked first time!!

Pretty cool!!

2009/6/16 Mariano Martinez Peck <[hidden email]>:

> You can do this:
>
> |instClass|
> instClass := Smalltalk at: #Installer ifAbsent: [ScriptLoader
> loadLatestPackage: 'Installer-Core' fromSqueaksource: 'Installer'. Smalltalk
> at: #Installer].
> instClass ss
>        project: 'XMLSupport';
>        install: 'XML-Parser'.

> Mariano
>

> On Tue, Jun 16, 2009 at 2:03 PM, Frank Church <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>>
>> When I type the command and 'do-it' I get the error : 'Unknown
>> variable Install, please correct or cancel'
>>
>> Is it already built into Pharo or does it require an additional
>> package to be installed?
>>
>> 2009/6/16 Brian Brown <[hidden email]>:
>> > In the workspace.
>> >
>> > - Brian

Re: Problems loading Squeak Map

frank in smalltalk you can type code and execute anywhere there is a
do it menu :)

On Jun 16, 2009, at 3:48 PM, Frank Church wrote:

> Is the Installer command something to run in the Workspace or in some
> other window?
>
> 2009/6/16 Damien Cassou <[hidden email]>:
>> On Tue, Jun 16, 2009 at 2:12 PM, Frank
>> Church<[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Can this method also work in Pharo?
>>
>> It should work perfectly.
>>
>> --
>> Damien Cassou
>> http://damiencassou.seasidehosting.st
>>
>> "Lambdas are relegated to relative obscurity until Java makes them
>> popular by not having them." James Iry

Re: Problems loading Squeak Map

Frank Church-3
When I get round to installing the GemTools, the first item it starts
downloading is FFI browser 3.9.1 and it halts with the Error -
MessageNotUnderstood MimeType->IndexOf,

Prior to that is a call to HttpUrl normalizeContents and a few others.

2009/6/16 Frank Church <[hidden email]>:

> Worked first time!!
>
> Pretty cool!!
>
> 2009/6/16 Mariano Martinez Peck <[hidden email]>:
>> You can do this:
>>
>> |instClass|
>> instClass := Smalltalk at: #Installer ifAbsent: [ScriptLoader
>> loadLatestPackage: 'Installer-Core' fromSqueaksource: 'Installer'. Smalltalk
>> at: #Installer].
>> instClass ss
>>        project: 'XMLSupport';
>>        install: 'XML-Parser'.

>> Cheers,
>>
>> Mariano
>>

>> On Tue, Jun 16, 2009 at 2:03 PM, Frank Church <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> When I type the command and 'do-it' I get the error : 'Unknown
>>> variable Install, please correct or cancel'
>>>
>>> Is it already built into Pharo or does it require an additional
>>> package to be installed?

Re: Problems loading Squeak Map

Mariano Martinez Peck
What Pharo version are you using? Perhaps something related to this: http://code.google.com/p/pharo/issues/detail?id=510

What about installing latest FFI from MC instead of Universe? To do this, just evaluate ScriptLoader loadFFI

Universe 3.9.1 uses FFI-Kernel-ar.8.mcz and the latest is FFI-Kernel-ar.9.mcz

Anyway I know nothing about GemTools so perhaps I am saying nonsense things.

Best,

Mariano

On Tue, Jun 16, 2009 at 3:23 PM, Frank Church <[hidden email]> wrote:
When I get round to installing the GemTools, the first item it starts
downloading is FFI browser 3.9.1 and it halts with the Error -
MessageNotUnderstood MimeType->IndexOf,

Prior to that is a call to HttpUrl normalizeContents and a few others.

2009/6/16 Frank Church <[hidden email]>:
> Worked first time!!
>
> Pretty cool!!
>
> 2009/6/16 Mariano Martinez Peck <[hidden email]>:
>> You can do this:
>>
>> |instClass|
>> instClass := Smalltalk at: #Installer ifAbsent: [ScriptLoader
>> loadLatestPackage: 'Installer-Core' fromSqueaksource: 'Installer'. Smalltalk
>> at: #Installer].
>> instClass ss
>>        project: 'XMLSupport';
>>        install: 'XML-Parser'.

>> Cheers,
>>
>> Mariano
>>

>> On Tue, Jun 16, 2009 at 2:03 PM, Frank Church <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> When I type the command and 'do-it' I get the error : 'Unknown
>>> variable Install, please correct or cancel'
>>>
>>> Is it already built into Pharo or does it require an additional
>>> package to be installed?

Re: Problems loading Squeak Map

Dale
Frank,

For GemTools, I recommend that you use the GemTools 2.3.1 Preview from the GLASS downloads page[1]. It's an older Pharo image, but it is known to work.

The current Pharo versions are moving so fast that I have not tried to keep up with them. When the pace of change slows down a bit, we will produce a new one-click as well as instructions for rolling your own GemTools.

Dale

[1] http://seaside.gemstone.com/downloads.html

On Jun 16, 2009, at 6:33 PM, Dale Henrichs wrote:

> Frank,
>
> For GemTools, I recommend that you use the GemTools 2.3.1 Preview
> from the GLASS downloads page[1]. It's an older Pharo image, but it
> is known to work.
>
> The current Pharo versions are moving so fast that I have not tried
> to keep up with them. When the pace of change slows down a bit, we
> will produce a new one-click as well as instructions for rolling
> your own GemTools.

we will soon arrive in beta :)
and we will ask for people to shake it and identify show stopper bugs

Stef

----- "Stéphane Ducasse" <[hidden email]> wrote:

| we will soon arrive in beta :)
| and we will ask for people to shake it and identify show stopper bugs
|
| Stef

It's been quite impressive to see Pharo come together. You guys haven't pulled any punches when it comes to aggressive goals and the challenges are being met head on!

Dale

Re: Problems loading Squeak Map

Frank Church-3
If I want to understand the FFI Browser 3.9.1 by hand, how would I go about it? I just used the ScriptLoader instFFI and the FFI was installed.

How can I check that the right item was installed? Is there a way to check that the version installed is the same as the one listed in the Universe Browser, ie that it is the same package as FFI Browser 3.9.1

The Resources/package-cache directory now holds FFI-Kernel-ar.9.mcz so I guess it must be the right one.

On Jun 16, 2009, at 6:59 PM, Dale Henrichs wrote:

> ----- "Stéphane Ducasse" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> | we will soon arrive in beta :)
> | and we will ask for people to shake it and identify show stopper
> bugs
> |
> | Stef
>
> It's been quite impressive to see Pharo come together. You guys
> haven't pulled any punches when it comes to aggressive goals and the
> challenges are being met head on!

you know the key point will be when we will have to change for real
(decent mop and other stuff)
and that we will have users complaining :)

Been backwards compatible can kill innovation (imagine seaside with
common wisdom).
The same should apply to languages and IDEs

Re: Problems loading Squeak Map

Frank Church-3
I installed GemTools-2.3.1-app image earlier, before the Los Boquitas
tutorial was completed. When I log into glass I the screen display
does not match those in the tutorials screenshots.

I just checked the tutorial again and it refers to a Gemstone 2.4
tools zip file at seaside.gemstone.com/tutorials which is isn't there
now and that is probably the source of my confusion..

I guess I have to wait a while.

Thanks

Frank

2009/6/16 Dale Henrichs <[hidden email]>:

> Frank,
>
> For GemTools, I recommend that you use the GemTools 2.3.1 Preview from the GLASS downloads page[1]. It's an older Pharo image, but it is known to work.
>
> The current Pharo versions are moving so fast that I have not tried to keep up with them. When the pace of change slows down a bit, we will produce a new one-click as well as instructions for rolling your own GemTools.
>
> Dale
>
> [1] http://seaside.gemstone.com/downloads.html
>
> ----- "Frank Church" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> | When I get round to installing the GemTools, the first item it starts
> | downloading is FFI browser 3.9.1 and it halts with the Error -
> | MessageNotUnderstood MimeType->IndexOf,
> |
> | Prior to that is a call to HttpUrl normalizeContents and a few
> | others.
> |

> | 2009/6/16 Frank Church <[hidden email]>:
> | > Worked first time!!
> | >
> | > Pretty cool!!

> | >> |instClass|
> | Smalltalk