Problems loading old projects

karl-8
I have run across a few issues loading some old projects. The project
and other issue is that the font's in the image have changed since the
project were made. Upon loading the font's are replaced by the images
default eToy font and that screws up the layout of all scripts. Is there
a way to relayout all the scripts or
do I have to do this manually by making new scripts ?
Karl

Re: Problems loading old projects

karl-8
Karl skrev:
> I have run across a few issues loading some old projects. The project
> and other issue is that the font's in the image have changed since the
> project were made. Upon loading the font's are replaced by the images
> default eToy font and that screws up the layout of all scripts. Is there
> a way to relayout all the scripts or
> do I have to do this manually by making new scripts ?
> Karl
I found a fix. ScriptEditors have a halo menu with the option 'fix layout'.
This does what I want.
Karl

Re: Problems loading old projects

Scott Wallace
Hi, Karl,

Hmm...  this was an issue that we *thought* we had completely dealt
with two years ago.

It would be helpful to know whether, when you are loading the old
project, you do or do not see a jumpy little yellow message box which
says "Fixing fonts".  That message indicates that the exact problem
you describe is (theoretically) being dealt with, viz., that all the
Scriptors in the project are undergoing fresh layout after a font
change forced by the fact that fonts expected by the project are not
present in the image.

Perhaps you could email me a copy of such a project (with
instructions on how you worked around the encoding issue, if
applicable) so that we could experience the problem first-hand.
Perhaps the problematical projects are *very* old?  In any case, it
would be useful to help track down how our font-fixup attempts are
failing.

Anyway, as a practical matter, I think that if you've loaded a
project and find that the scriptor layouts are screwed up, evaluating
the following in a Workspace will probably make them all come
right... it's worth a try anyway:

(ScriptEditorMorph allInstances select: [:m | m == m topEditor]) do:
[:m | m fixLayout].

Cheers,

  -- Scott

On Oct 27, 2006, at 6:20 AM, Karl wrote:

> I have run across a few issues loading some old projects. The project
> But
> and other issue is that the font's in the image have changed since the
> project were made. Upon loading the font's are replaced by the images
> default eToy font and that screws up the layout of all scripts. Is
> there
> a way to relayout all the scripts or
> do I have to do this manually by making new scripts ?
> Karl

Re: Problems loading old projects

karl-8
The first issue I ran into was a MultiByteBinaryOrTextStream converter
problem. It showed up as a SyntaxError upon loading the projects. I had
made some small extensions to the eToys to be able do the projects and
that caused problem upon loading. I had to change the converter to
Latin1Converter, attached changeset.

The other issue is the layout problem. I eventually found the 'fix
layout' ScriptEditor halo menu item that fixed what I want. But I
noticed that BooleanScriptEditor and RandomTile did not totally fix
their layout. Your Workspace script does what the menu item does, but as
for the menu item you have to have the ScriptEditor open for it to work.

I have both projects I had trouble with attached.

Karl

Scott Wallace skrev:

> Hi, Karl,
>
> Hmm...  this was an issue that we *thought* we had completely dealt
> with two years ago.
>
> It would be helpful to know whether, when you are loading the old
> project, you do or do not see a jumpy little yellow message box which
> says "Fixing fonts".  That message indicates that the exact problem
> you describe is (theoretically) being dealt with, viz., that all the
> Scriptors in the project are undergoing fresh layout after a font
> change forced by the fact that fonts expected by the project are not
> present in the image.
>
> Perhaps you could email me a copy of such a project (with instructions
> on how you worked around the encoding issue, if applicable) so that we
> could experience the problem first-hand.  Perhaps the problematical
> projects are *very* old?  In any case, it would be useful to help
> track down how our font-fixup attempts are failing.
>
> Anyway, as a practical matter, I think that if you've loaded a project
> and find that the scriptor layouts are screwed up, evaluating the
> following in a Workspace will probably make them all come right...
> it's worth a try anyway:
>
> (ScriptEditorMorph allInstances select: [:m | m == m topEditor]) do:
> [:m | m fixLayout].
>

> Cheers,
>
>  -- Scott
>

> On Oct 27, 2006, at 6:20 AM, Karl wrote:
>
>> I have run across a few issues loading some old projects. The project
>> and other issue is that the font's in the image have changed since the
>> project were made. Upon loading the font's are replaced by the images
>> default eToy font and that screws up the layout of all scripts. Is there
>> a way to relayout all the scripts or
>> do I have to do this manually by making new scripts ?
>> Karl

'From OLPC1.0 of 17 August 2006 [latest update: #1104] on 26 October 2006 at 11:36:32 pm'!

!MultiByteBinaryOrTextStream methodsFor: 'as yet unclassified' stamp: 'kfr 10/26/2006 23:12'!
setConverterForCodeForProject
     self converter: Latin1TextConverter new.
        "self converter: UTF8TextConverter new."
! !

L-system.003.pr (58K) Download Attachment