Problems while installing via SqueakMap and also direct file-in

Problems while installing via SqueakMap and also direct file-in

Nagy Attila
Dear list,

I use Squeak 3.8 update #6665. I very frequently encounter errors while
trying to install packages from SqueakMap. For example, say, I'd like to
install LifeMorph.

First, it complains that there's no published release for my version. No
surprise, as there are no published versions at all. I say Yes, try any
release. Now comes the complaint that there are no releases at all. Take
the last unpublished release? Yes, take it. The third complaint says
compatibility is not listed, so it may not work. Ok, proceed.

And now it says: "Error occured during install:
SMDefaultInstaller>>nonMultiSuffixes"

Let's open a debugger. It says the SMDefaultInstaller doesn't understand
#nonMultiSuffixes. What should I do?

The other error I frequently encounter is that ByteString doesn't
understand #fullName. I tried to install SqueakAmp by filing in its two
.cs files, and that's what I got. Again, what should I do?

Thanks for your help,

        Attis

Re: Problems while installing via SqueakMap and also direct file-in

Matej Kosik-2
Nagy Attila wrote:

> Dear list,
>
> I use Squeak 3.8 update #6665. I very frequently encounter errors while
> trying to install packages from SqueakMap. For example, say, I'd like to
> install LifeMorph.
>
> First, it complains that there's no published release for my version. No
> surprise, as there are no published versions at all. I say Yes, try any
> release. Now comes the complaint that there are no releases at all. Take
> the last unpublished release? Yes, take it. The third complaint says
> compatibility is not listed, so it may not work. Ok, proceed.
>
> And now it says: "Error occured during install:
> SMDefaultInstaller>>nonMultiSuffixes"
>
> Let's open a debugger. It says the SMDefaultInstaller doesn't understand
> #nonMultiSuffixes. What should I do?
>
> The other error I frequently encounter is that ByteString doesn't
> understand #fullName. I tried to install SqueakAmp by filing in its two
> .cs files, and that's what I got. Again, what should I do?
>
> Thanks for your help,
>
>     Attis
Hi,

Squeak (at present) has relatively simple component versioning system. This has two implications:
1. the life of developers who develop pieces of software is easier
2. the life of users which would like to use those pieces of software is harder

(Actually, it has none. You cannot have in the same image two versions of the same class for different users.)

Btw. the package you tried to install was designed for Squeak image 3.6. I have tried it in 3.4 and there it works fine.

Regards
--
Matej Kosik

Re: Problems while installing via SqueakMap and also direct file-in

Göran Krampe
Nagy Attila <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Dear list,
>
> I use Squeak 3.8 update #6665. I very frequently encounter errors while
> trying to install packages from SqueakMap. For example, say, I'd like to
> install LifeMorph.
>
> First, it complains that there's no published release for my version. No
> surprise, as there are no published versions at all. I say Yes, try any
> release. Now comes the complaint that there are no releases at all. Take
> the last unpublished release? Yes, take it. The third complaint says
> compatibility is not listed, so it may not work. Ok, proceed.

Better be careful, right? :)

> And now it says: "Error occured during install:
> SMDefaultInstaller>>nonMultiSuffixes"
>
> Let's open a debugger. It says the SMDefaultInstaller doesn't understand
> #nonMultiSuffixes. What should I do?

I think I fixed this in the latest SMBase, have you upgraded all
SqueakMap packages? "SqueakMap2 base" should be... 1.21?

> The other error I frequently encounter is that ByteString doesn't
> understand #fullName. I tried to install SqueakAmp by filing in its two
> .cs files, and that's what I got. Again, what should I do?

Not sure about that one, email me in private with a description on what
you did (image version etc) and I will look at it.

> Thanks for your help,
>
> Attis

Sorry for not responding earlier, busy busy...

regards, Göran