Problems with FlashPlayerWindow

Prashanth Hebbar
Hello:

I am trying to get a swf file opened in Squeak:
1. In Squeak 3.9, I do, open>file, and select the swf file from the relevant directory, I get a blank Flash Window Player opened. In Squeak 3.10 image: I get a editor window with junk characters.
2. I also tried reading the flash file using the FlashFileReader class by passing it to a local variable. On doing an inspect, I can see that the variable contains something but cannot find a way to display it.
3. I tried opening FlashPlayerMorph, FlashPlayerWindow from the new morph with no luck. When I drag and drop the swf file, all that happens is that a new empty player window appears and nothing else.

I did a search on the mailing list and came across a similar question which had presumably gone unanswered. Can someone please help.

Thanks in advance.

- Prashanth

Re: Problems with FlashPlayerWindow

Edgar J. De Cleene

El 11/2/07 12:11 PM, "Prashanth Hebbar" <[hidden email]> escribió:

>  In Squeak 3.10 image: I get a editor window with junk characters.
Flash is one of things not more in 3.10 base, so at this time you could't
play with it.
Anyway the last time Flash works in Squeak , was for old version 3.

Edgar

Re: Problems with FlashPlayerWindow

Prashanth Hebbar
Edgar:
I downloaded a 3.0 with no luck. I think the trouble was with the swf file which was created using the latest version. I am trying to get an older swf file and run. Will update on my progress. Any idea when Flash be supported on 3.10.

Thanks.

-Prashanth

El 11/4/07 1:27 AM, "Prashanth Hebbar" <[hidden email]> escribió:

> Edgar:
> I downloaded a 3.0 with no luck. I think the trouble was with the swf file
> which was created using the latest version. I am trying to get an older swf
> file and run. Will update on my progress. Any idea when Flash be supported on
> 3.10.
>
> Thanks.
>
> -Prashanth
I afraid some should take the package and actualize.
At my knowledge, works on Flash inside Squeak stop for copyright reasons.
I remember Flash working on older images with right files, if you have newer
originated swf sure don't work.
Maybe is some place exists a external program to convert newer swf to older.
This could be a start step.

Edgar

Re: Problems with FlashPlayerWindow

Mitt Cooper
I have a related question on Flash... kind of.

Adobe has some pretty nice front end capabilities with the flex
framework.  What I'd like to do is code in flex on the frontend and
use squeak/smalltalk as a backend.   Flex/Flash has some capable
remoting capabilities with implementations for Java and PHP.   What
I'd like to do is create something similar for squeak/smalltalk?  Not
a small effort so, I'm hoping to start with just simple web services
that return xml.

Any pointers on the best web servers and xml packages for squeak?

Thx.

El 11/4/07 11:58 AM, "Mitt Cooper" <[hidden email]> escribió:

> Any pointers on the best web servers and xml packages for squeak?

The most know and developed is seaside, you have lots of things.
A relative new which one of my students is trying is AIDAWeb
For XML , I see some ANN in general list this days.
3.10 have some on base, but I can't tell is enough for you.

Edgar

Re: Problems with FlashPlayerWindow

Karl-19
Here is a spec of the swf. It seems kind of free, but IANAL.
Gentlemen, start implementing :-)

Karl

Prashanth Hebbar wrote:

> Edgar:
> I downloaded a 3.0 with no luck. I think the trouble was with the swf
> file which was created using the latest version. I am trying to get an
> older swf file and run. Will update on my progress. Any idea when
> Flash be supported on 3.10.
>
> Thanks.
>
> -Prashanth
>
> On Nov 2, 2007 11:03 PM, Edgar J. De Cleene <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>

>     El 11/2/07 12:11 PM, "Prashanth Hebbar" <[hidden email]
>     <mailto:[hidden email]>> escribió:
>
>     >  In Squeak 3.10 image: I get a editor window with junk characters.
>     Flash is one of things not more in 3.10 base, so at this time you
>     could't
>     play with it.
>     Anyway the last time Flash works in Squeak , was for old version 3.
>
>     Edgar

Re: Problems with FlashPlayerWindow

Karl-19
Ugh, with the link this time:
http://sswf.sourceforge.net/SWFalexref.html

Prashanth Hebbar wrote:

> Edgar:
> I downloaded a 3.0 with no luck. I think the trouble was with the swf
> file which was created using the latest version. I am trying to get an
> older swf file and run. Will update on my progress. Any idea when
> Flash be supported on 3.10.
>
> Thanks.
>
> -Prashanth
>
> On Nov 2, 2007 11:03 PM, Edgar J. De Cleene <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>

>     El 11/2/07 12:11 PM, "Prashanth Hebbar" <[hidden email]
>     <mailto:[hidden email]>> escribió:
>
>     >  In Squeak 3.10 image: I get a editor window with junk characters.
>     Flash is one of things not more in 3.10 base, so at this time you
>     could't
>     play with it.
>     Anyway the last time Flash works in Squeak , was for old version 3.
>
>     Edgar

Linux and Squeak server help

Edgar J. De Cleene
People:

Still this old donkey could't figure how to have Squeak as server on Linux.
I try all people send on general list, the last of Giovanni Corriga on
TCPListener, but no luck.

I could do all in the Linux box, transfer files to this to Mac or Windows
and reverse.

But as I said , if I have Squeak running on Linux and any of the others, tcp
comunication is one direction only, from Linux to others and no from others
to Linux.

And any Squeak running TCPListener, swikis, HV2, etc, only work with
Konqueror or Firefox in the Linux bos, but can't be reached from outside.

What I doing wrong ?

Very thanks

Edgar

Re: Linux and Squeak server help

NorbertHartl

On Mon, 2007-11-05 at 11:49 -0300, Edgar J. De Cleene wrote:

> People:
>
> Still this old donkey could't figure how to have Squeak as server on Linux.
> I try all people send on general list, the last of Giovanni Corriga on
> TCPListener, but no luck.
>
> I could do all in the Linux box, transfer files to this to Mac or Windows
> and reverse.
>
> But as I said , if I have Squeak running on Linux and any of the others, tcp
> comunication is one direction only, from Linux to others and no from others
> to Linux.
>
> And any Squeak running TCPListener, swikis, HV2, etc, only work with
> Konqueror or Firefox in the Linux bos, but can't be reached from outside.
>
> What I doing wrong ?

Sounds like your tcp services are bound to the loopback device
(127.0.0.1). This is reachable from your linux box but not from
the outside. If you have your tcp service listening on port 9090
you can have a look at a linux console. Just type:

#> netstat -atn | grep 9090

If you get something like this

tcp        0      0 127.0.0.1:9090          0.0.0.0:*
LISTEN

then your tcp service is bound to loopback and can't be reached
from outside this host. I can only speak for the usage of seaside
which is using KomHttpServer as HV2 I guess. Most of the people using
one of these are using apache, too. In a common scenario apache is
reachable from the outside and apache connects your squeak instance
(like you do with konqueror from the linux box).

I took a quick peak and only found

Socket>>listenTo:backlogSize:interface:

Try to specify the interface address (usually is 0.0.0.0). I don't know
but it may help.

Norbert

Re: Linux and Squeak server help

David T. Lewis
On Mon, Nov 05, 2007 at 11:49:06AM -0300, Edgar J. De Cleene wrote:

> People:
>
> Still this old donkey could't figure how to have Squeak as server on Linux.
> I try all people send on general list, the last of Giovanni Corriga on
> TCPListener, but no luck.
>
> I could do all in the Linux box, transfer files to this to Mac or Windows
> and reverse.
>
> But as I said , if I have Squeak running on Linux and any of the others, tcp
> comunication is one direction only, from Linux to others and no from others
> to Linux.
>
> And any Squeak running TCPListener, swikis, HV2, etc, only work with
> Konqueror or Firefox in the Linux bos, but can't be reached from outside.
>
> What I doing wrong ?

Hi Edgar,

I am not sure what the problem is for your system, but the last time
that I installed a Linux distribution (SuSE 10), I was surprised that
external access to many internet services such as ftp were disabled
by default.  I think this was supposed to be for "security" but it
was very annoying to me. Perhaps you can check to see if these things
work properly outside of Squeak (for example, try ftp and telnet to
your Linux box from some other computer).

Dave

Re: Linux and Squeak server help

Klaus D. Witzel
Hi Edgar,

[switched the thread back to the list.]

So, everything *on*the*machine* works as expected (and this includes
Squeak :-)

If you still can't reach the machine from outside then it must be so that
you haven't obeyed the Goddess of network connectivity sometime in the
recent past :)

/Klaus

On Tue, 06 Nov 2007 12:54:32 +0100, Edgar J. De Cleene wrote:

> El 11/6/07 8:25 AM, "Klaus D. Witzel" escribió:
>
>> From your resume I assume you have Squeak on Linux running in a desktop
>> environment.
>
> Yes
>> So in Squeak on the Linux desktop, copy&paste the following into a
>> workspace (I wrote the code in 3.7 and tested it in 3.8 and 3.9):
>>
>>   | connection |
>> (connection := Socket newTCP)
>>     setPort: 9090.
>>   connection
>>
>> When you inspect this, selecting *self* in the inspector shows
>>
>>   a Socket[waitingForConnection]
>
> Yes with the 3.8 full image the system install via synaptic
>> While the above still runs, telnet to the Linux and logon as root and do
>> what Norbert wrote:
>
> edgar@0[squeak]$ netstat -atn | grep 9090
> tcp        0      0 0.0.0.0:9090            0.0.0.0:*
> LISTEN
> edgar@0[squeak]$
>

> So is listening, also I was :=)
>
> Very thanks !
>
> Edgar

Re: Re: Linux and Squeak server help

Edgar J. De Cleene

El 11/6/07 10:34 AM, "Klaus D. Witzel" <[hidden email]> escribió:

> If you still can't reach the machine from outside then it must be so that
> you haven't obeyed the Goddess of network connectivity sometime in the
> recent past :)
>
> /Klaus

I can access the machine.

What I can't is have Squeak working same as Mac or Windows.

Our work on release shows the test don't behave same on all OS.
So, Squeak works "almost" same on the three.
Could be the == bug ? (I kidding on my own mistakes :=)

Very thanks

Re: Re: Linux and Squeak server help

John Warner-3
On Tue, 2007-11-06 at 14:34 +0100, Klaus D. Witzel wrote:
> Hi Edgar,
>

> If you still can't reach the machine from outside then it must be so that
> you haven't obeyed the Goddess of network connectivity sometime in the
> recent past :)
>
> /Klaus

So that means you need to go down on your knees and pray fervently to
the G*d/dess of Network Connectivity LOL

John

Re: Linux and Squeak server help

John Foster-3
Gday Edgar,

What distribution (i.e. Redhat, Suse, Debian, Ubuntu etc) and version
(hamm, buzz, Hoary Hedghog, 7 etc) are you running?  That information will
probably allow us to help you.

Yrs

John

El 11/6/07 4:26 PM, "[hidden email]" <[hidden email]> escribió:

> Gday Edgar,
>
> What distribution (i.e. Redhat, Suse, Debian, Ubuntu etc) and version
> (hamm, buzz, Hoary Hedghog, 7 etc) are you running?  That information will
> probably allow us to help you.
>
> Yrs
>
> John

I use SimplyMepis 6.5
The first time I got Squeak via console synaptic, the system use Ubuntu data
base and bring Squeak 3.8 full.
After that , I transfer all running images from mac or from windows XP via
Samba, with right .changes and .sources.

I resume what I send private to Klaus.

If I run same Squeak image on Mac and Linux.

Via Nebraska you could send things from Linux to Mac, not to inverse
Doing the most simple tcp
|  socket | "RECEIVING DATA"
socket := Socket new.
socket listenOn: 8000.
    socket
                waitForConnectionUntil: (Socket deadlineSecs: 300).
    mensaje := socket getData.

|  socket | "SENDING DATA"
socket := Socket new.
socket
        connectTo: (NetNameResolver addressForName: ip) "HERE IP SHOULD BE
RIGHT"
        port: 8000.
        socket waitForConnectionUntil: Socket standardDeadline.
socket sendData: 'hola'

You could send from Windows to Mac and viceversa but only from Linux to
Winows or Mac and not viceversa

Of course I can't have any swiki, Comanche, or any more ellaborate and
working from outside of Linux box.

Edgar