Problems with Siren 7.5

stefano-franchi
Hi all,

        now that Cincom has finally released 7.5, I immediately set on
installing Siren (Stephen's earlier suggestion to download the beta
version did not work for me, unfortunately).
However, I am stuck at the very beginning. I did install all the VW
packages Siren requires, and then installed Siren itself from Cincom
repository. So far so good. (I left the job of compiling and installing
the C libs for another weekend...)
Then I started with the workbook/tutorial and immediately got a
walkback on the very first Siren expression I tried to evaluate:

  EventList randomExample: 20

The culprit is
Siren.SecondDuration>>+

which tries to sum two values only one of which is a number.
Specifically, the last line of the + method says:

ifFalse: [self class new value: (value + aValue)]]

and the variables are:

value 0
aValue (242 msec)   (aMSecDuration)

I tried to replace
ifFalse: [self class new value: (value + aValue)]]

with:

ifFalse: [self class new value: (value + aValue value)]]

but I immediately got another walkback later on, so I thought I'd stop
and ask before embroiling myself any further with code I know nothing
about.

Stefano

P.S. I am on a G4 powerbook running 10.3.9 and using either the MacOsX
or MacOsX11 virtual machines.
Stefano Franchi
Department of Philosophy                  Ph:  (64)  9 373-7599 x83940
University Of Auckland Fax: (64) 9 373-8768
Private Bag 92019 [hidden email]
Auckland
New Zealand

Stefano Franchi
Department of Philosophy                  Ph:  (64)  9 373-7599 x83940
University Of Auckland Fax: (64) 9 373-8768
Private Bag 92019 [hidden email]
Auckland
New Zealand

Re: Problems with Siren 7.5

Stephen Travis Pope

Gee, this is strange, [EventList randomExample: 20] works AOK for me,
and I believe the code in the + method should be that way. The +
method is shared from MusicMagnitude, and the last line of the method
is only triggered if you send an operand that's not of the same
species (e.g., 20 Hz + 3 dB). I believe this *should* generate an error.

Can you send me the stack you get, because there's obviously
something missing from the file-in parcel...

PS: I updated the CSL support files archive with MacIntel and MacG4
binaries. I have some friends helping with Windows and Linux binaries
(any takers?)

See
        http://fastlabinc.com/CSL/CSL_Libs.tgz

There are also new files and doc on the Siren web site
        http://fastlabinc.com/Siren

I'll update the parcel in Store and the ZIP file later today.

stp

--
    Stephen Travis Pope  --  Santa Barbara, California, USA
    http://HeavenEverywhere.com     http://FASTLabInc.com

On May 3, 2007, at 9:59 PM, Stefano Franchi wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> now that Cincom has finally released 7.5, I immediately set on
> installing Siren (Stephen's earlier suggestion to download the beta
> version did not work for me, unfortunately).
> However, I am stuck at the very beginning. I did install all the VW
> packages Siren requires, and then installed Siren itself from
> Cincom repository. So far so good. (I left the job of compiling and
> installing the C libs for another weekend...)
> Then I started with the workbook/tutorial and immediately got a
> walkback on the very first Siren expression I tried to evaluate:
>
>  EventList randomExample: 20
>
> The culprit is
> Siren.SecondDuration>>+
>
> which tries to sum two values only one of which is a number.
> Specifically, the last line of the + method says:
>
> ifFalse: [self class new value: (value + aValue)]]
>
> and the variables are:
>
> value 0
> aValue (242 msec)   (aMSecDuration)
>

> I tried to replace
> ifFalse: [self class new value: (value + aValue)]]
>
> with:
>
> ifFalse: [self class new value: (value + aValue value)]]
>
> but I immediately got another walkback later on, so I thought I'd
> stop and ask before embroiling myself any further with code I know
> nothing about.
>

> Stefano
>
> P.S. I am on a G4 powerbook running 10.3.9 and using either the
> MacOsX or MacOsX11 virtual machines.
> Stefano Franchi
> Department of Philosophy                  Ph:  (64)  9 373-7599 x83940
> University Of Auckland Fax: (64) 9 373-8768
> Private Bag 92019 [hidden email]
> Auckland
> New Zealand

pastedGraphic.tiff (3K) Download Attachment

Re: Problems with Siren 7.5

stefano-franchi
Hi Stephen,

        you're right, there must be something missing from the file-in, or I
messed up the installation procedure somehow. Unfortunately I can't
quite figure out what's wrong. I appended the stack below, hopefully it
will help.

And thanks for the G4 binaries, I will move on to them as soon as I get
the basic Siren package working.

Cheers,

Stefano

Stefano Franchi
Department of Philosophy                  Ph:  (64)  9 373-7599 x83940
University Of Auckland Fax: (64) 9 373-8768
Private Bag 92019 [hidden email]
Auckland
New Zealand

Siren_stack.ws (25K) Download Attachment

Re: Re: Problems with Siren 7.5

Stephen Travis Pope

Gee, This stack looks impossible.

You're right, though, that putting the extra "value" message at the
end of the method Siren.MusicMagnitude>>+ will fix it.

There's a new beta release -- a parcel in the Store DB and a ZIP file
at http://FASTLabInc.com/Siren.

I also added loads of new doc and examples.

stp

--

On May 6, 2007, at 4:04 PM, Stefano Franchi wrote:

> Hi Stephen,
>
> you're right, there must be something missing from the file-in, or
> I messed up the installation procedure somehow. Unfortunately I
> can't quite figure out what's wrong. I appended the stack below,
> hopefully it will help.
>
> And thanks for the G4 binaries, I will move on to them as soon as I
> get the basic Siren package working.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Stefano
>
> <Siren_stack.ws>

pastedGraphic.tiff (3K) Download Attachment

Re: Problems with Siren 7.5

Stephen Travis Pope

Please let me know if this is still happenning; From the message you
sent, it makes no sense to me.

It looks like the code is saying
        SecondDuration + MSecDuration
which should be handled earlier in that method (since the receiver
and the argument are the same species), meaning it should not be
falling through to the bottom of the method.

What's the other walk-back you got?

stp