Problems with freetype plugin

Martin Kuball
Hi!

I tried to compile the ft2 plugin on 64bit Linux (debian unstable). I
succeeded after
1. adding a plattform specific makefile
2. refactoring some 32bit specific code dealing with oops.

Unfortunately somwhere on the road I broke the plugin. If I start the
sophie image it comes up and I can see some promising stuff and than
(after a second or so) the vm segfaults inside a GC. As far as I can tell
the rome plugin (the other plugin I'v never used here) is not yet loaded.
I appended a stack trace at the end. Other images that don't use ft2
plugin still work fine.

To isoloate the problem I got a fresh 3.9 image and loaded freetype plus
into it. I opend a FontChooser and selected a type1 font. Now the image
freezes. With some debug output I can see that the ft2 plugin has rendered
some glyphs and now is stuck somwhere in libfreetype (version 2.3.5 by the
way).

Any help is greatly apreciated.

Martin

Stack trace from sophie image:

markAndTrace (oop=41800600)
    at /home/kuball/SMT/vm-svn/trunk/platforms/Cross/vm/sqMemoryAccess.h:83
83        static inline sqInt longAtPointer(char *ptr)                  {
return (sqInt)(*((sqInt *)ptr)); }
(gdb) bt
#0  markAndTrace (oop=41800600)
    at /home/kuball/SMT/vm-svn/trunk/platforms/Cross/vm/sqMemoryAccess.h:83
#1  0x0000000000417030 in markAndTraceInterpreterOops () at
gnu-interp.c:11380
#2  0x000000000041706a in markPhase () at gnu-interp.c:11414
#3  0x00000000004176fb in incrementalGC () at gnu-interp.c:5425
#4  0x0000000000417955 in sufficientSpaceAfterGC (minFree=41800600) at
gnu-interp.c:22298
#5  0x000000000041dea5 in primitiveNew () at gnu-interp.c:16747
#6  0x00000000004114a6 in dispatchFunctionPointer
(aFunctionPointer=0x27dd398)
    at gnu-interp.c:4014
#7  0x0000000000426834 in interpret () at gnu-interp.c:7829
#8  0x000000000040fdc9 in main (argc=<value optimized out>,
argv=0x7fffaf2c9908,
    envp=<value optimized out>)
    at /home/kuball/SMT/vm-svn/trunk/platforms/unix/vm/sqUnixMain.c:1407

Re: Problems with freetype plugin

Andrew Tween
Hi,
"Martin Kuball" <[hidden email]> wrote in message
news:[hidden email]...

> Hi!
>
> I tried to compile the ft2 plugin on 64bit Linux (debian unstable). I
> succeeded after
> 1. adding a plattform specific makefile
> 2. refactoring some 32bit specific code dealing with oops.
>
> Unfortunately somwhere on the road I broke the plugin. If I start the
> sophie image it comes up and I can see some promising stuff and than
> (after a second or so) the vm segfaults inside a GC. As far as I can tell
> the rome plugin (the other plugin I'v never used here) is not yet loaded.
> I appended a stack trace at the end. Other images that don't use ft2
> plugin still work fine.
>
> To isoloate the problem I got a fresh 3.9 image and loaded freetype plus
> into it. I opend a FontChooser and selected a type1 font. Now the image
> freezes. With some debug output I can see that the ft2 plugin has rendered
> some glyphs and now is stuck somwhere in libfreetype (version 2.3.5 by the
> way).

Which version of FreeType Plus are you using? (probably not important, but
useful to know)
Does your debug output tell you which plugin primitive was called before it
got stuck in libfreetype?
If so, which one?
If not, then can you detemine this by running in debug mode, or by some
other means?

As an aside - I have been experimenting with an FFI wrapper for freetype
lib.
It looks promising so far (can create squeak glyph forms ok), but it is
still in its early stages.

Cheers,
Andy

Am Tuesday 09 October 2007 schrieb Andrew Tween:

> Hi,
> "Martin Kuball" <[hidden email]> wrote in message
> news:[hidden email]...
>
> > Hi!
> >
> > I tried to compile the ft2 plugin on 64bit Linux (debian unstable). I
> > succeeded after
> > 1. adding a plattform specific makefile
> > 2. refactoring some 32bit specific code dealing with oops.
> >
> > Unfortunately somwhere on the road I broke the plugin. If I start the
> > sophie image it comes up and I can see some promising stuff and than
> > (after a second or so) the vm segfaults inside a GC. As far as I can
> > tell the rome plugin (the other plugin I'v never used here) is not yet
> > loaded. I appended a stack trace at the end. Other images that don't
> > use ft2 plugin still work fine.
> >
> > To isoloate the problem I got a fresh 3.9 image and loaded freetype
> > plus into it. I opend a FontChooser and selected a type1 font. Now the
> > image freezes. With some debug output I can see that the ft2 plugin
> > has rendered some glyphs and now is stuck somwhere in libfreetype
> > (version 2.3.5 by the way).
>
> Which version of FreeType Plus are you using? (probably not important,
> but useful to know)
The latest from squeaksource (tween.423)

> Does your debug output tell you which plugin primitive was called before
> it got stuck in libfreetype?
> If so, which one?
It's primitiveRenderGlyphIntoForm. Unfortunately debian does not provide
debug symbols for libfreetype. So I don't know, yet why it does not
return - at least not in an amout of time I'm willing to wait.