ProcessBrowser does not auto-update itself by default? Should it?

Previous Topic Next Topic

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

ProcessBrowser does not auto-update itself by default? Should it?

Thomas Dupriez-2
Hello,

The Process Browser does not auto-updates itself by default to show new
processes and hide processes that stopped.

Is there a specific reason for that? The first time I opened it I kind
of expected it would auto-update itself, and I think this may be a more
"intuitive" behaviour that no auto-updates by default. What do you think?

Getting auto-updates is "easy" (there is no button in the UI (something
to improve?), but one can call the "toggleAutoUpdate" method to get this
behaviour). My question is about it not being default.

Thomas

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: ProcessBrowser does not auto-update itself by default? Should it?

Sven Van Caekenberghe-2
I believe the reason not to make auto updating the default, is because #updateProcessList is a bit heavy (it calls a GC, does an #allSubInstances, and it is a thread itself). Maybe that is no longer the case ?

But adding a button to make auto updating easier to start would probably help.

Maybe a button bar for more common actions (like terminate) ?

> On 4 Feb 2019, at 11:47, Thomas Dupriez <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hello,
>
> The Process Browser does not auto-updates itself by default to show new processes and hide processes that stopped.
>
> Is there a specific reason for that? The first time I opened it I kind of expected it would auto-update itself, and I think this may be a more "intuitive" behaviour that no auto-updates by default. What do you think?
>
> Getting auto-updates is "easy" (there is no button in the UI (something to improve?), but one can call the "toggleAutoUpdate" method to get this behaviour). My question is about it not being default.
>
> Thomas
>
>

Reply | Threaded
|

alistairgrant
On Mon, 4 Feb 2019 at 11:55, Sven Van Caekenberghe <[hidden email]> wrote:

>
> I believe the reason not to make auto updating the default, is because #updateProcessList is a bit heavy (it calls a GC, does an #allSubInstances, and it is a thread itself). Maybe that is no longer the case ?
>
> But adding a button to make auto updating easier to start would probably help.
>
> Maybe a button bar for more common actions (like terminate) ?
>
> > On 4 Feb 2019, at 11:47, Thomas Dupriez <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Hello,
> >
> > The Process Browser does not auto-updates itself by default to show new processes and hide processes that stopped.
> >
> > Is there a specific reason for that? The first time I opened it I kind of expected it would auto-update itself, and I think this may be a more "intuitive" behaviour that no auto-updates by default. What do you think?
> >
> > Getting auto-updates is "easy" (there is no button in the UI (something to improve?), but one can call the "toggleAutoUpdate" method to get this behaviour). My question is about it not being default.

You can right click on a process and "Turn on auto-update", which is
Ctrl-A (on linux).

A button bar would be more friendly.

Cheers,
Alistair

Reply | Threaded
|

ducasse
In reply to this post by Thomas Dupriez-2
Thomas I asked Gina to rewrite it in Spec (but it can be too complex because the code
does not have a clear model) so if you want to help her, go ahead.

Stef

> On 4 Feb 2019, at 11:47, Thomas Dupriez <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hello,
>
> The Process Browser does not auto-updates itself by default to show new processes and hide processes that stopped.
>
> Is there a specific reason for that? The first time I opened it I kind of expected it would auto-update itself, and I think this may be a more "intuitive" behaviour that no auto-updates by default. What do you think?
>
> Getting auto-updates is "easy" (there is no button in the UI (something to improve?), but one can call the "toggleAutoUpdate" method to get this behaviour). My question is about it not being default.
>
> Thomas
>
>