Proofreading Smalltalk sections of thesis

Proofreading Smalltalk sections of thesis

Ben Pharr
Hi everyone,

I'm writing my Masters thesis on object-oriented
programming language features. It's a survey of seven different
languages: Smalltalk, Eiffel, Objective-C, C++, Java, Python, and
Ruby. I'm trying to get a reviewer for each language, just to make
sure I haven't misrepresented them in any way. I have written code in
each of them, but obviously I haven't become an expert in all of them.

Would one of you be willing to proofread the Smalltalk sections of my
thesis? (I am using Squeak.) You wouldn't need to be nitpicky, just
make sure I haven't misrepresented or left out anything. It would
probably only take you an hour or two. I would send it to you this
evening, and I would need your comments by Wednesday night. (Yes, I
know, I'm cutting things a little short.) You would receive a mention
in the acknowledgments.

I look forward to hearing from some of you.

Thanks,
Ben Pharr

RE: Proofreading Smalltalk sections of thesis

Ivan Tomek
Hi,

I would be interested in looking at it. I am a retired professor and I
wrote an introduction to Smalltalk, now in public domain, several years
ago.

Ivan Tomek

Re: Proofreading Smalltalk sections of thesis

Brad Fuller-3
Ivan Tomek wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I would be interested in looking at it. I am a retired professor and I
> wrote an introduction to Smalltalk, now in public domain, several years
> ago.

Hi Ivan,

I'm interested in the intro and the text it's attached to ;-) Where can
we find your intro?

--
brad fuller
www.bradfuller.com

connecting to remote file server

Navodit Kaushik
Hi

So I have been trying to get some feedback on this for some time on the begineers list but since there was no response I thought that someone on this list might have a better idea about the issue:

Basically I have set up a file server using Komanche and want to connect to this server so that I can create/read/edit files on the server.  The file server is accessible as : http://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:8080 on the browser and I can see the folders/files therein. I want to be able to remotely connect to this server and work with the directories/files there...

Can someone advise how to go about this? I tried using ServerDirectory but am not sure how to work without any user names/passwords? Right now when I send the message "openFTPClient"  it gives an error due to blank password.
 Any hints would be welcome. Thanks

Check out new cars at Yahoo! Autos.

RE: Proofreading Smalltalk sections of thesis

Ivan Tomek
Hi Brad,

The text was originally contracted to Addison-Wesley and is,
interestingly, listed on Amazon.com although it was never published. One
of the places where you can find it is Stephane's

http://www.iam.unibe.ch/~ducasse/FreeBooks.html

It is, obviously, somewhat out of date and was based on VisualWorks.

Ivan

> I would be interested in looking at it. I am a retired professor and I
> wrote an introduction to Smalltalk, now in public domain, several
years
> ago.

Hi Ivan,

I'm interested in the intro and the text it's attached to ;-) Where can
we find your intro?

--
brad fuller
www.bradfuller.com
+1 (408) 799-6124

Re: Proofreading Smalltalk sections of thesis

Alexandre Bergel
Hello Ben,

I am interested in the topic of your thesis. Give me the .pdf, I will
do an overall pass...

Regards,
Alexandre

Alexandre Bergel  http://www.software-artist.eu