Proposal: Morphs in Text

patrick.rein
Hi everyone,

please find attached a change set which includes:
1.) Some fixes to the Scanner infrastructure to support Morphs in Text better
2.) Improvements to describe how a Morph should be aligned with regard to the text. Relevant methods on Morph are:
#textAnchorVerticalAlignment:
#textAnchorPadding:
#textAnchorConsumesHorizontalSpace:

You can see an example by executing the body of the test:
TextAnchorTest>>#testHavingAnAnchorCanBeAlignedDifferently

!Warning: As this touches Scanner code a lot, loading this change set might make your image unresponsive!

I would like to point out that the test cases are preliminary and a few of the methods still require polishing. Nevertheless, I would like to ask for comments on the change set, in particular regarding:
1.) Should the alignment information be stored in the Morph or the TextAnchorAttribute? Currently the information is stored in the Morph which parallels LayoutProperties.
2.) Is using caseOf: in Scanner code fine? I suspect it to be quite expensive which is probably not a good thing in Scanners?
3.) Should the cursor allow users to navigate (or select?) the "start of header" character that is used to denote the text anchor placement?
4.) Does anyone remember / know what the textAnchorType was intended for? The previous implementation largely ignored it and this one does so too.

Thanks and best wishes,
Patrick

TextAnchor placement.2.cs (65K) Download Attachment

Re: Proposal: Morphs in Text

Nicolas Cellier
Hi Patrick,

i did not have time to inquire about the .cs but I can partially answer

Le mar. 28 mai 2019 à 18:27, <[hidden email]> a écrit :
[...]

I think it should be in Morph, because Morph can have its own notion of baseline etc... (imagine for example that I want to render a FractionMathMorph 1/(1/x+1), then I want the main (upper) fraction bar to be somehow aligned with the text baseline)
If Morph does not carry such information, then we can wrap in another Morph that does (but I'm not sure that's how Morph works currently...)

2.) Is using caseOf: in Scanner code fine? I suspect it to be quite expensive which is probably not a good thing in Scanners?
unless you have thousands of Morphs, you won't be able to measure any difference

3.) Should the cursor allow users to navigate (or select?) the "start of header" character that is used to denote the text anchor placement?
If Morph is aligned with text (renderd as if a single character), then i would expect so (so as to be able to copy/paste for example)

4.) Does anyone remember / know what the textAnchorType was intended for? The previous implementation largely ignored it and this one does so too.
I guess it could be like classical editors: Morph aligned with text (as a single character) or super-imposed over text, or text wraps around the morph, or ...

Thanks and best wishes,
Patrick

Re: Proposal: Morphs in Text

K K Subbu
Thank you, Patrick, for your initiatives. TextMorph really needs some
attention.

On 28/05/19 9:48 PM, [hidden email] wrote:
> 1.) Should the alignment information be stored in the Morph or the
> TextAnchorAttribute? Currently the information is stored in the Morph
> which parallels LayoutProperties.

John Maloney's seminal paper on Morphic presented Morph as a graphical
unit for direct interaction (event handling) and liveness (stepping). It
was silent on modeling relations between morphs (with some exceptions).

Alignment and anchoring are properties of relationship between two
morphs rather than an intrinsic property of a Morph. I feel they should
be handled by subclasses (isA) or objects (hasA). Morph is already
pretty large for a basic unit.

> 4.) Does anyone remember / know what the textAnchorType was intended
> for? The previous implementation largely ignored it and this one does
> so too.
I think it was intended to stick a morph to a position within its
container (#document) or flow with other text morphs as paragraphs
(#paragraph) or character spans (#inline).

Regards .. Subbu

Re: Proposal: Morphs in Text

timrowledge

> On 2019-05-28, at 11:51 PM, Marcel Taeumel <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Yes, I also think that textAnchorType refers to further interaction between morph and the surrounding text (layout or paragraph).

Generically thinking, for stuff like this it might be worth taking a look at the code for the Sophie project. We did a *lot* of text handling. I certainly won't claim we did it perfectly but it was quite good looking and reasonably fast - for example loading documents faster than Word.

tim
42.7 percent of all statistics are made up on the spot.

Re: Proposal: Morphs in Text

patrick.rein
Hi everyone,

thanks Nicolas and Subbu for the answers.

I did not think about the concept of a morph having a baseline too but it sounds like a good idea. I'll try to accomodate it in the new alignment logic.

Given that we interpret the textAnchorType as the floating behavior, we would end up with:
#inline: Inline the text flow
#paragraph: The morph is displayed on its own line (_Not_ the semantic of having a morph within a chain of TextMorphs)
#document: The morph can be placed freely within the document and is neither influenenced by the text flow, nor does it influence the text flow

If that sounds about right I would go on to implement the behavior like that, as it currently does not really work like that. In the course of that it might make sense to rename textAnchorType so something else.

Based on Subbus comment I will also move the new properties and methods on morphs into a class TextAnchorProperties which will then be referenced by a morph. This should actually make the morph interface smaller than it is right now.

Bests
Patrick

>Hi Patrick,
>
>i did not have time to inquire about the .cs but I can partially answer
>
>Le mar. 28 mai 2019 à 18:27, <[hidden email]> a écrit :
>
>Hi everyone,
>
>please find attached a change set which includes:
>1.) Some fixes to the Scanner infrastructure to support Morphs in Text better
>2.) Improvements to describe how a Morph should be aligned with regard to the text. Relevant methods on Morph are:
>#textAnchorVerticalAlignment:
>#textAnchorPadding:
>#textAnchorConsumesHorizontalSpace:
>
>You can see an example by executing the body of the test:
>TextAnchorTest>>#testHavingAnAnchorCanBeAlignedDifferently
>
>!Warning: As this touches Scanner code a lot, loading this change set might make your image unresponsive!
>
>I would like to point out that the test cases are preliminary and a few of the methods still require polishing. Nevertheless, I would like to ask for comments on the change set, in particular regarding:
>1.) Should the alignment information be stored in the Morph or the TextAnchorAttribute? Currently the information is stored in the Morph which parallels LayoutProperties.
>
>I think it should be in Morph, because Morph can have its own notion of baseline etc... (imagine for example that I want to render a FractionMathMorph 1/(1/x+1), then I want the main (upper) fraction bar to be somehow aligned with the text baseline)If Morph does not carry such information, then we can wrap in another Morph that does (but I'm not sure that's how Morph works currently...)
>
>2.) Is using caseOf: in Scanner code fine? I suspect it to be quite expensive which is probably not a good thing in Scanners?
>
>unless you have thousands of Morphs, you won't be able to measure any difference
>
>3.) Should the cursor allow users to navigate (or select?) the "start of header" character that is used to denote the text anchor placement?
>
>If Morph is aligned with text (renderd as if a single character), then i would expect so (so as to be able to copy/paste for example)
>
>4.) Does anyone remember / know what the textAnchorType was intended for? The previous implementation largely ignored it and this one does so too.
>
>I guess it could be like classical editors: Morph aligned with text (as a single character) or super-imposed over text, or text wraps around the morph, or ...
>

>Thanks and best wishes,
>Patrick
>
>--000000000000bedde40589f5512a--

Re: Proposal: Morphs in Text

Chris Muller-3
Hi Patrick,

It breaks something with layout of non-ascii characters.   Try
selecting a binary file in the FileBrowser.  Warning:  save your image first.

 - Chris

On Tue, May 28, 2019 at 11:27 AM <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> please find attached a change set which includes:
> 1.) Some fixes to the Scanner infrastructure to support Morphs in Text better
> 2.) Improvements to describe how a Morph should be aligned with regard to the text. Relevant methods on Morph are:
> #textAnchorVerticalAlignment:
> #textAnchorPadding:
> #textAnchorConsumesHorizontalSpace:
>
> You can see an example by executing the body of the test:
> TextAnchorTest>>#testHavingAnAnchorCanBeAlignedDifferently
>
> !Warning: As this touches Scanner code a lot, loading this change set might make your image unresponsive!
>
> I would like to point out that the test cases are preliminary and a few of the methods still require polishing. Nevertheless, I would like to ask for comments on the change set, in particular regarding:
> 1.) Should the alignment information be stored in the Morph or the TextAnchorAttribute? Currently the information is stored in the Morph which parallels LayoutProperties.
> 2.) Is using caseOf: in Scanner code fine? I suspect it to be quite expensive which is probably not a good thing in Scanners?
> 3.) Should the cursor allow users to navigate (or select?) the "start of header" character that is used to denote the text anchor placement?
> 4.) Does anyone remember / know what the textAnchorType was intended for? The previous implementation largely ignored it and this one does so too.
>
> Thanks and best wishes,
> Patrick

Re: Proposal: Morphs in Text

patrick.rein
Hi everyone :)

please find attached a new version of the repaired/improved morph in text support :)

This changeset includes:
- less strict treatment of the start of header character so that binary files should display correctly again
- refactored the text anchor properties into a separate object which every morph can have as an extension
- removed the partially implemented #paragraph layouting style and finished the #inline and #document layouting styles
- added basic support for vertical padding
- Examples! (Execute TextAnchor alignmentExamples)
- improved and added tests

Please try it out! :) Feedback is very welcome :)

Questions I still have are
- Do we want a more extensive text anchor menu? Currently, only the layout style is accessible through the menu. Would it be fine to implement the menu creation logic on the TextAnchorProperties class?
- Should we deprecate the old text anchor property methods on Morph or directly remove them?

The major missing aspect is some more documentation on TextAnchor.

Bests
Patrick

> [...]

>>2.) Is using caseOf: in Scanner code fine? I suspect it to be quite expensive which is probably not a good thing in Scanners?
>>
>>unless you have thousands of Morphs, you won't be able to measure any difference
>>
>>3.) Should the cursor allow users to navigate (or select?) the "start of header" character that is used to denote the text anchor placement?
>>
>>If Morph is aligned with text (renderd as if a single character), then i would expect so (so as to be able to copy/paste for example)
>>
>>4.) Does anyone remember / know what the textAnchorType was intended for? The previous implementation largely ignored it and this one does so too.
>>
>>I guess it could be like classical editors: Morph aligned with text (as a single character) or super-imposed over text, or text wraps around the morph, or ...

["ChangeSetRefactoring.cs"]

ChangeSetRefactoring.cs (9K) Download Attachment

Re: Proposal: Morphs in Text

patrick.rein
Please find the correct change set in this mail... :)

> [...]
>>>
>>>2.) Is using caseOf: in Scanner code fine? I suspect it to be quite expensive which is probably not a good thing in Scanners?
>>>
>>>unless you have thousands of Morphs, you won't be able to measure any difference
>>>
>>>3.) Should the cursor allow users to navigate (or select?) the "start of header" character that is used to denote the text anchor placement?
>>>
>>>If Morph is aligned with text (renderd as if a single character), then i would expect so (so as to be able to copy/paste for example)
>>>
>>>4.) Does anyone remember / know what the textAnchorType was intended for? The previous implementation largely ignored it and this one does so too.
>>>
>>>I guess it could be like classical editors: Morph aligned with text (as a single character) or super-imposed over text, or text wraps around the morph, or ...

["TextAnchorPlacement.cs"]

TextAnchorPlacement.cs (95K) Download Attachment

Re: Proposal: Morphs in Text

marcel.taeumel
Hi Patrick.

> Should we deprecate the old text anchor property methods on Morph or directly remove them?

+1 for deprecation first, removal later.

> Do we want a more extensive text anchor menu?

Sure. :-)

Would it be fine to implement the menu creation logic on the TextAnchorProperties class?

I think, it would be okay. TextAnchor and TextAnchorProperties are additions from Morphic to the base system (i.e., Collections and Graphics). Yet, it could be kind of misleading for later to also add menu logic to other, non-morphic, text attributes. Hm...

**

Could you update (or extend) the commentary for the following methods?

TextMorphForEditView >> #defaultTextModificationCharacterSet
TextAttribute >> #writeScanOn:

Thanks for working on this. All TextAnchorTest tests pass (or fail as expected ;P).

**

I noticed a little layout glitch in the TextAnchor alignmentExamples. You can see it if you do "demoMorph imageForm asMorph openInHand" instead of "openInWorld". Is this new?

Best,
Marcel

["TextAnchorPlacement.cs"]