Proposal | Remove SystemNavigation class >> #doesNotUnderstand:

Proposal | Remove SystemNavigation class >> #doesNotUnderstand:

marcel.taeumel
Hi, there.

I just got really confused by the differences of

[SystemNavigation allCallsOn: #drawOn:] bench.

and

[SystemNavigation default allCallsOn: #drawOn:] bench.

because I expected that MNU fallback to kick in to insert "default" automatically.

However, #allCallsOn: is actually implemented in Behavior and not just in SystemNavigation.

Can we remove SystemNavigation class >> #doesNotUnderstand: so nobody starts relying on that?

Best,
Marcel

Re: Proposal | Remove SystemNavigation class >> #doesNotUnderstand:

Eliot Miranda-2
Hi Marcel,

On Jul 4, 2019, at 2:24 AM, Marcel Taeumel <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi, there.

I just got really confused by the differences of

[SystemNavigation allCallsOn: #drawOn:] bench.

and

[SystemNavigation default allCallsOn: #drawOn:] bench.

because I expected that MNU fallback to kick in to insert "default" automatically.

However, #allCallsOn: is actually implemented in Behavior and not just in SystemNavigation.

Can we remove SystemNavigation class >> #doesNotUnderstand: so nobody starts relying on that?

Tangentally, my feeling, and I know it was Andreas’ feeling too, is that all of

    SystemNavigation default ...
    SystemNavigation ...
    self systemNavigation ...

are a real mouthful.  Any abbreviation would be appreciated.  “Smalltalk ...” was much nicer and arguably more comprehensible.

Best,
Marcel

Re: Proposal | Remove SystemNavigation class >> #doesNotUnderstand:

timrowledge

> On 2019-07-04, at 3:43 PM, Eliot Miranda <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi Marcel,
>
> On Jul 4, 2019, at 2:24 AM, Marcel Taeumel <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi, there.
>>
>> I just got really confused by the differences of
>>
>> [SystemNavigation allCallsOn: #drawOn:] bench.
>>
>> and
>>
>> [SystemNavigation default allCallsOn: #drawOn:] bench.
>>
>> because I expected that MNU fallback to kick in to insert "default" automatically.
>>
>> However, #allCallsOn: is actually implemented in Behavior and not just in SystemNavigation.
>>
>> Can we remove SystemNavigation class >> #doesNotUnderstand: so nobody starts relying on that?
>
> Tangentally, my feeling, and I know it was Andreas’ feeling too, is that all of
>
>     SystemNavigation default ...
>     SystemNavigation ...
>     self systemNavigation ...
>
> are a real mouthful.  Any abbreviation would be appreciated.  “Smalltalk ...” was much nicer and arguably more comprehensible.

Mine too. I really don't understand the splitting up into near-incomprehensible boxes.  So I'd say "can we remove SystemNavigation" or at least "can we provide Smalltalk>>allCalsOn: even if it just delegates"

tim
Useful Latin Phrases:- Quo signo nata es? = What's your sign?

Re: Proposal | Remove SystemNavigation class >> #doesNotUnderstand:

marcel.taeumel
In general, I like having SystemNavigation to navigate code objects.