Proposal: getSystemAttribute(1007) - machine identifier

Proposal: getSystemAttribute(1007) - machine identifier

Andreas.Raab
Hi Guys -

For error reporting and some other purposes, I'd like to get a bit of
information about the machine we're running on. What do you guys say
about getSystemAttribute(1007) to be:

1007 - Machine identifier. A string describing the current machine we're
running on essentially in "uname -a" format

Cheers,
   - Andreas

Re: Proposal: getSystemAttribute(1007) - machine identifier

Ian Piumarta
Hi Andreas,

On Apr 13, 2006, at 2:14 PM, Andreas Raab wrote:
> For error reporting and some other purposes, I'd like to get a bit
> of information about the machine we're running on. What do you guys
> say about getSystemAttribute(1007) to be:
>
> 1007 - Machine identifier. A string describing the current machine
> we're running on essentially in "uname -a" format

Playing Devil's advocate...

What (useful stuff) would this tell you that you don't already know?

1001, 1002 and 1003 tell you the species of VM, the name of the OS
(including version number if relevant), and the local architecture.
All "uname -a" tells you beyond that are the host name, maybe the time
+date when the kernel was compiled, and any fancy (but quite
meaningless) name the manufacturer might have given to the particular
combination of OS and architecture.

(Smalltalk platformName, '-', Smalltalk osVersion, '-', Smalltalk
platformSubtype) isn't enough??? ;-p

Cheers,
Ian