Proposal to rename some Morphic classes

1 message Options

Proposal to rename some Morphic classes

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
My other Morphic changes have not caused any obvious push back, so I'd like to go ahead with my suggestion from a while back...

Motivation: When I first used Magritte, I was terribly confused that #asMorph does not actually return a morph, and requires "object asMorph morph" to get the actual morph (http://forum.world.st/Customizing-Magritte-Morphic-Forms-tt4251518.html#a4251623)

Solution: Rename classes messages to reveal intention
1) #asMagritteMorph
  a. change #asMagritteMorph to something like maMorphicContainer (returns a presenter/builder, not a Morph)
  b. if we want #asMagritteMorph, have it return the actual morph (i.e. "self maMorphicContainer morph")
2) MAContainerMorph and friends -> MAMorphicContainer - these are not Morphs. I was actually astonished when I saw they did not inherit from Morph.

If there is no opposition, I'll make these changes shortly.

BTW: what is the policy re non-backward compatible changes? How should they be documented? In Pharo, methods are deprecated for a version, but I didn't want to do that because I assumed Magritte should run on other Smalltalks. Although I see Squeak has #deprecated:, so maybe that would be safe...
Cheers,
Sean