Public Croquet Worlds

tetsu yatsu
Are there any working public Croquet worlds to play around in? Croquetcollaborative.org hasn't worked in months.

Or tips on how to start my own public world.

Re: Public Croquet Worlds

Nikolay Suslov
Hello,

Starting SimpleDemoMaster on a machine with WAN static ip address, some port available to the Internet (observable by other internet users) and providing somewhere publicaly your "What's is my Location?" information (Postcard as XML) is one of the ways to go. To define your own avaliable port, just change it in the method (CroquetHarnessWithMenu>> createIsland: islandClass named: aString ) the 0 "wildcard port" to your port number. Other users could open portals to your running World using "Connect to another world" Croquet functionality.
But with SimpleDemoMaster scenario you will need every time to update your public Postcard information (after every startup). Anyway you could hardcode it by defining static router port (as I have shown) and island id (SimpleDemoWorld>>islandID) by hand in code browser (for example KAT demo uses one of hardcoded scheme).
For more information look at http://www.opencroquet.org/index.php/WAN/LAN%2C_Connecting_and_Discovery
Some experiments with opening public worlds were also here: http://croquet.blagblagblag.org
and an example/tutorial of running it headless (aka server variant) http://jebba.blagblagblag.org/?p=235

Regards,
Nikolay

On Fri, Mar 21, 2008 at 9:29 PM, tetsu yatsu <[hidden email]> wrote:
Are there any working public Croquet worlds to play around in? Croquetcollaborative.org hasn't worked in months.

Or tips on how to start my own public world.

Re: Public Croquet Worlds

Paul Sheldon-2
Thank you for your post which I shall study intently.

You seem very familiar with squeek coding which I am
not.

If I were to respond point by point, I think you would
be like an
old compiler looking at me, a program with bugs in it.
Programmers must ignor the error messages
after the first one because the compiler went crazy
trying
to deal with bad definition after the first bug was
found.

So, I will look at the first error messages
I get from myself as my buggy understanding looks at
your post.

In cobalt, in simple demo master, the postcard as xml
menu items do not appear in tools menu, rather in menu
item, get postcard info, under places. That menu item
doesn't claim to let you go anywhere.

I don't know if it is intended to go places, just tell
where I am.
Though the menu shows other islands on my wifi
network,
I neither know what I can do nor if I can do anything
in the menu item's window
to go there---in cobalt.

That's my single question "Did you, without putting in
any additional squeek code, go places in cobalt from
menu level ".

Re: Public Croquet Worlds

Nikolay Suslov

In cobalt, in simple demo master, the postcard as xml
menu items do not appear in tools menu, rather in menu
item, get postcard info, under places. That menu item
doesn't claim to let you go anywhere.

Yes, in Cobalt is defined another menu bar structure. Which also replaces and menu bar in SimpleDemoMaster etc. (instead of KAT demo).
So, "What's is my Location?" or (Postcard info as XML) in Cobalt is "Place -> Get postcard info...".
Creating a portal to another world using postcard info functionality is existed (the same as in SimpleDemoMaster), but is not shown in menu bar for now.
So, to activate it, you need to add new item to menu bar by yourself:
just modify the method (CroquetMenuProject>>menuBarPlaceMenu) by adding line:
menu add: 'Connect to Another World' target: self  action: #connectToAnotherWorld disabled: false.

That's my single question "Did you, without putting in
any additional squeek code, go places in cobalt from
menu level ".

Yes, but only by loading from url or local disc the saved ones in *.c3d. By postcard not yet (in built march-17).

Regards,
Nikolay

Re: Public Croquet Worlds

Paul Sheldon-2
I am at wedding but will try correcting a new image and see if that makes worlds saved unopenable by original image as I posted my first altered image did.

Thank you.

Thank you.